As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[chat] pooped on the floor again

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    there is apparently a British quiz show called Mastermind where people get rewarded for being enormous geeks

how can I get in on this?

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I just want to lose 10 lbs to look good and 20 lbs to look like captain america. But I don't want to stop drinking or exercise. Damn you, body, work with me here!

The actual effects of alcohol on the body are pretty widely misunderstood. It's less about the calories, something like 95% of those don't matter, and more about how it stops digestion until the alcohol is gone. Or something.

That makes no sense.

Welcome to the human body, have you met it? Something about how there's nothing in alcohol to be digested, it gets absorbed into the blood stream and processed through your liver.

I AIN'T NO DOCTOR.

Also you consume more calories if you drink as well.

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Argh, I can't find this dragon figurine anywhere. :(

AAAAC7Ai_roAAAAAAQErEg.jpg?v=1288685143000

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    is fall of the samurai just an expansion to shogun 2?

Yes, but it doesn't require Shogun 2.

isn't it just like a remake then

da fuq, total war

What? Remake? The fuck you on about?

i'm saying they released Game A

then they released Game B which is a better version of Game A with the same title but a new subtitle

and they're the same price

this seems ridiculous to me!

stand-alone expansion. Like all those ones for Dawn of War or Cossacks or any number of games.

i am not familiar with this model, i don't play a lot of computer games. i just installed steam like, a few months ago and played borderlands for the first time.

It's an expansion pack. Adds a bunch of new units and such to the game. But they don't want to limit their target market to only people who bought the original game so they package it with the base code so it can run on its own.

so why do they continue to sell the original game?

The original game isn't in there, it's just the minimum amount of code to get it running by itself.

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I am trying to find the weird study that proposed these facts.

This one isn't it but it says "Alcohol is metabolized extremely quickly by the body. Unlike foods, which require time for digestion, alcohol needs no digestion and is quickly absorbed. Alcohol gets ?VIP? treatment in the body ? absorbing and metabolizing before most other nutrients. " which was the general thrust of the only 5% of the calories in straight up hard liquor (like 95 ish for an oz of vodka) are in any way used by the body.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/20220411pols_welfare_abuse_runs_deep/srvc=home&positi

This dude was arrested in Boston for dealing heroin. Calls up his buddy and says, "Buddy, go get my food stamp card off the dresser and then go to the ATM. I need the money to post bail."
    State Rep. Russell E. Holmes (D-Boston), another advocate for tough reforms, said he was hardly surprised that a drug suspect would try to bail himself out with money from a taxpayer-funded EBT card.

“It’s exactly the type of activity that can occur when folks are allowed to get money off their EBT card,” Holmes said.

The author of this article doesn't understand how EBT cards work.

It's looks like Massachusetts is part of the SNAP program but when I try to looks at the specifics for the state, it get a 404 error page. :<

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/20220411pols_welfare_abuse_runs_deep/srvc=home&positi

This dude was arrested in Boston for dealing heroin. Calls up his buddy and says, "Buddy, go get my food stamp card off the dresser and then go to the ATM. I need the money to post bail."
    State Rep. Russell E. Holmes (D-Boston), another advocate for tough reforms, said he was hardly surprised that a drug suspect would try to bail himself out with money from a taxpayer-funded EBT card.

“It’s exactly the type of activity that can occur when folks are allowed to get money off their EBT card,” Holmes said.

It's looks like Massachusetts is part of the SNAP program but when I try to looks at the specifics for the state, it get a 404 error page. :<

holmes is incredibly stupid!

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    there is apparently a British quiz show called Mastermind where people get rewarded for being enormous geeks

it is great

I think you're full of shit in addition to being full of fat!

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    You have original game A

then expansion B is released

if it isn't standalone, then you need to have game A installed to run expansion B

if it is standalone then it brings the needed files and whatnot to run on its own, so you don't need to have A+B in order to play B.

But even it is standalone, if you only have B, you don't have A, and you can't play A.

Capiche?

ftOqU21.png
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    btw chu' if you give Heroes 3 a shot (and the complete edition at GoG with all the expansions has a crazy amount of content - campaigns and maps and such - for the price) then just be aware the first time you run it has a crazy long unkippable intro movie that looks fucking terrible.

Luckily the game itself looks nothing like that intro.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    It's not shogun 2, but with more features, it's shogun 2, with different features and content

Shogun 2 vanilla is all about the clans and figthing over the shogunate and samurais and whatnot

Fall of The Samurai is set around the Last Samurai (the cruise movie)

The old ways are giving way to gatlings, ironclads, americans, modern infantry, railways etc etc.

It's a very different kind of game, and if you want samurais killing samurais, go for shogun 2 vanilla.

So is it just the Satsuma rebellion or does it cover the Restoration and the Boshin war too?

fuck gendered marketing
    haha that intro video

jesus that was crap

ftOqU21.png

This one isn't it but it says "Alcohol is metabolized extremely quickly by the body. Unlike foods, which require time for digestion, alcohol needs no digestion and is quickly absorbed. Alcohol gets ?VIP? treatment in the body ? absorbing and metabolizing before most other nutrients. " which was the general thrust of the only 5% of the calories in straight up hard liquor (like 95 ish for an oz of vodka) are in any way used by the body.

What does 'used by the body' mean though. I mean when fat is created it could be said its not being used by the body either, but stored.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

The way these things work is, typically, EBT cards carry two accounts:

1) SNAP account, which may only be used on food at SNAP-approved retailers (like grocery stores)
    2) A cash account, which may be used anywhere as an ATM card

The owner of the EBT card may fill up the cash account with his or her own money in lieu of a checking account. The state may also put a little bit of welfare money on the cash side of the EBT card, but that differs from state to state and from county to county, and it's usually a pretty paltry amount, like $30 per month.

If somebody is setting bail with his EBT card, he's either been saving up his welfare money for a long time, or he's been depositing money from some other source (a job or drug-dealing) on the card.

Somebody used his own money to post bail? Shocking.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Not even close, Caveman.

I'll take a pic tonight and see if anyone knows where I can purchase a new bisque of it.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    castle

fucking doctors lying

and getting me pissed

Elldren wrote: »
    It's not shogun 2, but with more features, it's shogun 2, with different features and content

Shogun 2 vanilla is all about the clans and figthing over the shogunate and samurais and whatnot

The old ways are giving way to gatlings, ironclads, americans, modern infantry, railways etc etc.

It's a very different kind of game, and if you want samurais killing samurais, go for shogun 2 vanilla.

So is it just the Satsuma rebellion or does it cover the Restoration and the Boshin war too?

Boshin War mostly, apparently

ftOqU21.png
    castle

fucking doctors lying

and getting me pissed

My doctor never drinks with me.

What does 'used by the body' mean though. I mean when fat is created it could be said its not being used by the body either, but stored.

I'm 95% sure that that bit is bullshit.

ftOqU21.png
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    2NApg.png

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

It's not as geeky as University Challenge, in which teams of students with bad haircuts compete to see who knows more about the writings of Plutarch and the atomic weight of loneliness.

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    castle

fucking doctors lying

and getting me pissed

something something magnets

919UOwT.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I am a cat lover and I love to run

I'm sorry I'm thinking about cats again

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Also, the prizes for these shows are a nice trophy and nothing else at all except the thrill of victory.

2NApg.png

If only that one guy thought like that. :bz

edited April 2012
    Oh, Tom Hobson, you are such a roguish fellow.

Feral on

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    This is what the art / ui is like for Heroes 3 (definetly no Dwarf Fortress)

Overworld map where you move around your heroes and their armies of creatures
    herochron_790screen003.jpg

battle screen
    homm_combat3.jpg

screens for upgrading your cities to make more creatures available / unlock spells and other specials
    Foto%2BHeroes%2Bof%2BMight%2Band%2BMagic%2BIII%2BComplete.jpg

in addition to the campaigns (a series of connected maps, sometimes bringing heroes between them) and stand-alone maps it comes with an editor as well as a random map generator.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    There's a reason WW1 was called the Great War.

• NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    There's a reason WW1 was called the Great War.
    We need more poison gas bombs

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    2NApg.png

This genuinely makes me chuckle.

sig.gif
    Bogart wrote: »
    Also, the prizes for these shows are a nice trophy and nothing else at all except the thrill of victory.

Wikipedia says there's cash.

Elldren wrote: »

Boshin War mostly, apparently

Okay

Really it's a chain of events: the Restoration led to the Boshin war led to the Meiji-era social and governmental reforms led to the Satsuma rebellion

fuck gendered marketing
    edited April 2012
    Bogart wrote: »

Wikipedia says there's cash.

The show probably wrote that to lure unwitting people.

Sarksus on
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    HoMM 3 is easily one of the best games of all time

PSN: Honkalot
    I played the hell out of the HoMM3 demo

fuck gendered marketing
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Homm3 is p sweet

also rayofash is being hilariously stupid in the washington state thread

• msmyamsmya Being Fabulous Registered User regular
    Hey guys so its time for us to vote for the student government oversee-er

There's a campaign to vote for the moose

And there's a sculpture made of him and everything!
    562420_10150767179240805_566895804_9374584_742770059_n.jpg

yesssssss

vote for the moooooooooooooooose

This discussion has been closed.