As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dark Souls] If only I could be so grossly incandescent (as Durante) - Res fix in OP

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    So I've noticed that I'm getting humanity, but not humanity the item. Where's that coming from? Like I was playing yesterday and I looked up to find that I had 12(!) humanity stored up.

The crestfallen warrior gives you a clue. He says that you can get humanity by taking it from other undead (players), but he also mentions that you can collect pieces of it "bit by bit" by killing hollows. Basically, if you kill a bunch of monsters without dying, you eventually get some extra humanity. You can see when it happens, because instead of the white "get soul" effects, it's black.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Dranyth wrote: »
    Level your armor/shield up, especially the shield.

My Fire Cleric had the Paladin Armor set all at +5 and an Eagle Shield at +15 going into NG+. I believe when I ran down to Havel as a shortcut (I don't think I ever killed Taurus Demon in NG+ or NG++), I was able to tank his Dragon's Tooth hits with that setup, which amused me to no end.

Also, fuck Four Kings on NG+.

What's your fire cleric setup? There aren't any fire miracles that I know of, so I'm not sure what you mean.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Good lord, now the Gamefaqs thread is talking mostly about the stupid fucking GFWL petition. And here I thought, "Hey, finally a gamefaqs board that doesn't suck!"

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    Ultros64Ultros64 Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »
    I have never left a message on the ground.

Get out.

It's actually a pretty big way to get humanity. Just a message here or there adds up. Bonus points if its humorous.

It doesn't matter what I say, as long as I sing with inflection
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I left my first message in Demon's Souls. Told people to jump in that first pit you come across in 1-1.

• Options
    I always try to notify people if there's a mimic nearby or if there's a crystal lizard. Or take a crack at Gwynevere's "Amazing Chest Ahead"

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Ultros64 wrote: »
    Klyka wrote: »
    I have never left a message on the ground.

Get out.

It's actually a pretty big way to get humanity. Just a message here or there adds up. Bonus points if its humorous.

Sadly you can only ever have 6 messages or so at the same time :(

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    demonssouls_lettertofans.jpg

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Time to replay Demons souls

for the next month and a half

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Oh shit, I know what I'm picking up next month!

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I think I'm close to
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    Time to replay Demons souls

for the next month and a half

so i'm not the only one thinking that then?

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Yup, I never really got into Demon's Souls (which is sad, because I completely got into Dark Souls). I kind of want to blame the fact that I've always preferred the 360's controller to the Dualshock.

But I will be playing Demon's Souls now. For a first timer, how should I go through the worlds?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Yup, I never really got into Demon's Souls (which is sad, because I completely got into Dark Souls). I kind of want to blame the fact that I've always preferred the 360's controller to the Dualshock.

But I will be playing Demon's Souls now. For a first timer, how should I go through the worlds?

After completing 1-1 (Boletaria Palace, the tutorial level) 1-2 and 2-1 (Stonefang Mines) are the easiest levels, 4-1 (Shrine of Storms) and 5-1 (Valley of Defilement) have the best loot. Afterwards you should have a good enough handle to tackle the remaining worlds in any order you like, though 2-2, 3-2 and 1-4 are widely considered to be the hardest boss fights in the game.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    I keep dying on 1-1 in DeSo. The bit where you face off with the sword and shield night with blue glowy eyes atop the fort wall. Where the catapults are. I managed to kill the spear guy but after him there's a long wall with a red eyed bastard spear guy who OHKs me.

• Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    Big Isy wrote: »
    I keep dying on 1-1 in DeSo. The bit where you face off with the sword and shield night with blue glowy eyes atop the fort wall. Where the catapults are. I managed to kill the spear guy but after him there's a long wall with a red eyed bastard spear guy who OHKs me.

Ignore the Red Eye Knight for now and go through the fog gate in the wall opposite the catapults. All the Red Eye Knight does is guard a door that will be locked for a long time.

PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Ooh, I meant to ask! In demon's souls there was something you could level up that would cause enemy attacks to rebound off your block more often. What was that? And does dark souls have it?

• Options
    bficky wrote: »

Ignore the Red Eye Knight for now and go through the fog gate in the wall opposite the catapults. All the Red Eye Knight does is guard a door that will be locked for a long time.

I actually made it to the fog but decided against going through it. The completionist in me wanted to kill everyone first....... Good wake up call :lol:

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    templewulf wrote: »
    Dranyth wrote: »
    Level your armor/shield up, especially the shield.

My Fire Cleric had the Paladin Armor set all at +5 and an Eagle Shield at +15 going into NG+. I believe when I ran down to Havel as a shortcut (I don't think I ever killed Taurus Demon in NG+ or NG++), I was able to tank his Dragon's Tooth hits with that setup, which amused me to no end.

Also, fuck Four Kings on NG+.

What's your fire cleric setup? There aren't any fire miracles that I know of, so I'm not sure what you mean.

Well, I call her my Fire Paladin, I started the character as a Cleric intending to go heavily armed/armored paladin route. I joined the Sun Bros along the way, and found it retarded that the related miracles to the Sun were fucking lightning. So I picked up Pyromancy and... yeah. Fire Paladin will burn you good. And if that doesn't work, +10 Divine Claymore.

The character basically ended up getting everything and her stats went a bit crazy because she became my Platinum Trophy character, so at this point she's joined every faction, gotten every boss soul weapon/item, knows every miracle (including Gravelord's Sword Dances), every sorcery and every pyro. So yes, she doesn't exactly have a focus anymore.

• Options
    Ooh, I meant to ask! In demon's souls there was something you could level up that would cause enemy attacks to rebound off your block more often. What was that? And does dark souls have it?

This is determined by shield type now. Small shields have light deflection (or whatever you want to call it), most medium shields have normal deflection, and most large shields have heavy deflection. There is one medium shield that has heavy deflection and that's the Iron Round Shield. The Eagle Greatshield only has normal deflection I think, despite being classed as a large shield. Otherwise you're looking at the crazy tower shields and such. But they can make pretty much any normal enemy's attack rebound.

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    It's not really feasible to use a heavy shield though, is it? I was thinking my best choice would be the balder shield in most cases.

• Options
    The Eagle Greatshield is really good, it has really high stability at max level and only weighs 6.0.

The Iron Round Shield is nice too, it doesn't have nearly as high a stability (though it gets its highest stability at +14, so you don't have to waste a slab on it to get +15), but it has that heavy deflection capability. I can't remember off-hand how much it weighs, 5.0 or something.

The proper large shields usually weigh a lot and have large strength requirements, so I'm not a huge fan of them myself.

• Options
    I'll also chime in with "the Eagle Greatshield is fantastic!" While you lose the ability to parry, it does turn you into a blocking tank.

• Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    I'm playing around with the eagle shield for the first time, and overall I'm not terribly impressed; its weight to stability ratio is excellent, but I'm just too partial to parrying (do greatshield bashes really ever do anything?). on the other hand, I desperately want to not use the grass crest shield for at least one playthrough...

• Options
    I was only good at parrying an enemy after I trial & error'ed (and died) about a billion times.

• Options
    In PVP parry is just too unpredictable... but it's better than having people circle for a back-stab every two seconds.

Did I mention that I hate people who focus on the back-stab? Eat my R1 mashing, newbs.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    as amazing a game as dark souls is, I imagine in 10 years a sizable part of my recollection of it will be cursing at lag backstabs/not being able to backstab people when I'm clearly behind them.

pvp is really kind of a shitfest when you aren't rushing to darkwraiths/lightning weapon of choice + 5 immediately, but I do love when I get invaded in the forest and I just put my back to a wall and watch the forest intently. soon...soon.

• Options
    ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I was thinking of getting the guide for this game. The main reason I would buy it is for art, maps, and reading about the game (lore and general information outside of stats). Amazon has it new, hardcover, for $15. Good idea?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/3869930527/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_g14_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=06RRQ1YK1D0B22KQ60B7&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Also, the PC version has me more excited than I thought I would be.

ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • Options
    As I recall, the Iron Round Shield still parries.

One thing I meant to mention when giving the details about the oddity shields there, the Iron Round Shield is also kind of a pain in the ass to get, whereas the Eagle Greatshield is fairly easy to get halfway through Blighttown.

• Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    I have a knight shield +10 and my chain shirt is at +7 right now I think. I should probably farm some titanite...I still need to pick up the ring.

So I've noticed that I'm getting humanity, but not humanity the item. Where's that coming from? Like I was playing yesterday and I looked up to find that I had 12(!) humanity stored up.

e: AUGH! I think I've fucked up everything!

My firekeeper is dead. Somehow...and also I attacked that serpent-headed NPC...frampt? He was very intimidating! I didn't want to get close. So I started shooting him from afar. After a few shots he called me a silly fool and ran away. Sad face.

I seriously have no idea how you're level 75 and this stuff is only just happening to you now. Are you doing a lot of grinding?

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    jimbo034jimbo034 Registered User regular
    So the mimic chest in Sen's fortress got hit with a rock and died after I died, did I lose the lighting spear?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    jimbo034 wrote: »
    So the mimic chest in Sen's fortress got hit with a rock and died after I died, did I lose the lighting spear?

yeah D:

I am so over dark souls pvp at this point, every invasion is twinked bullshit and there's just no reason to try, ever. it probably gets better at SL100+, but right now it's just pure one-shot misery.

Torgairon on
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So, in honor of Demon's Souls shutting down, I'm going to see how far I can get in an SL1 run. Is anybody crazy enough to join me in this endeavor? It sure would be nice if I didn't have to face flamelurker alone.

Torgairon wrote: »
    I'm playing around with the eagle shield for the first time, and overall I'm not terribly impressed; its weight to stability ratio is excellent, but I'm just too partial to parrying (do greatshield bashes really ever do anything?). on the other hand, I desperately want to not use the grass crest shield for at least one playthrough...
    While a good parry is satisfying as hell to pull off and looks badass, I find that pretty much all of the humanoid type enemies are easy enough to deal with using normal strikes and backstabs. At the end of the day, more stability beats the ability to parry, hands down. At the very least you should switch to the eagle shield for boss fights if you just can't let parrying go.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I picked up DeSo recently.
    Parrying is hilariously easy compared to DaSo. I don't think I've missed a single one yet.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    Greatshields are cool because when an enemy makes an attack that rebounds off your shield, your next attack does 1.5x damage. The Eagle Shield is also the best lightning block shield until you get the Effigy Shield way later in Tomb of Giants (aka long after Anor Londo).

The guide is very useful for item locations and maybe enemy strategies, but some details in it will be incorrect due to patches. It looks nice though, and $15 sounds p. cheap.

ladi.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Lork wrote: »
    So, in honor of Demon's Souls shutting down, I'm going to see how far I can get in an SL1 run. Is anybody crazy enough to join me in this endeavor? It sure would be nice if I didn't have to face flamelurker alone.

I never tire of making new characters, so I'd be down for trying.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Can spears be parried?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I'm sure I've parried silver and black knight spearwielders, so definitely. the timings are obviously a separate class from slashing weapons, though.

Torgairon on
  • Options
    Not sure where my US copy of DeSo is otherwise I'd love to join in.

ladi.png
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    Can spears be parried?

I haven't played in ages but I am pretty sure you can parry any weapon wielded by an enemy that is less than 2x your size.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Anyone any idea if the Asian Demon Souls server are going down too? I imported my copy and never finished it, this seems like a good excuse.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
This discussion has been closed.