As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Presidential Election Thread] All Hail the Liberty Rooster.

• Guitar Hero Of TimeGuitar Hero Of Time Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    http://youtu.be/HONqbvx7D2E

As always, do not read the comments

The thing that they do there, where they show clips of Obama in 2008 condemning what they are doing, that's fucking crazy. The video contains the clips that condemn the video that contains the clips that... *head explodes*

This is the problem with politics that I'm not sure how to solve.

There is a segment of incurious mouth-breathers that will see this and think, hey, yeah, that Obama is a hypocrite!

Then there are others who will see it and at least see the irony of the commercial, which is an attack ad that is accusing Obama of getting ready to go on the attack... But many of these will still have this little mental crumb of "Obama is a flip flopper from 2008 to 2012" in the back of their mind.

Then when people try to say that Romney has no convictions and will say anything to get elected, and the Republicans counter with "Obama is even worse! But surely we can compromise and all agree they are equally as bad..." it will 'feel' right because of that crumb that they don't consciously remember. False equivalence solidified.

I'm just waiting for Skynet to boot up and teach us all a lesson at this point.

• MillMill Registered User regular
    I think a better education system, one that teaches people to be critical thinkers and check sources, coupled with an amendment that made it clear that money doesn't equal speech, probably forcing all political campaigns to be fully financed by the public would go a long way to improving politics. They're will still be plenty of bullshit but I think that would force the ball rolling towards finding solutions rather than be obstructionist for the sake of being an obstructionist.

I've pretty much written off the idea of a Skynet booting up and handing us our asses for all the blatant stupidity. At this point, I figure an intelligent extraterrestrial will do that because seeing the shit that about half our race does, would you want to wait around for us to achieve interstellar travel before taking steps to ensure we don't fuck up the galaxy.

As for Rosen's comments, she probably should have worded that a little better. I wouldn't have touched on the whole, "she didn't work a day in her life" comment, even if it was true, because most mothers would take offense to the comment. I would have phrased it along the lines of "she's wealthy enough that she didn't have to struggle with looking after her children, while juggling a job to ensure that the bills were paid, ergo she can't relate to working moms. As for middle class families where they can afford for one spouse to stay home, she still can't relate to them because she was able to hire servants (nannies, maids, butlers) to help her raise those five kids."

Also I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that Cain might have hung out with Colbert a little too much. I can't tell if he's trolling or if he's dead serious with these ads, but they are amusing to watch.

• Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    Boring7 wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Malkor wrote: »
    Well folks, it's on like Donkey Kong
    @CatholicLeague: Lesbian Dem Hilary Rosen tells Ann Romney she never worked a day in her life. Unlike Rosen, who had to adopt kids, Ann raised 5 of her own.

I predict that this will be a perfect storm of hyperbole.

pfffffffhahahaha like anyone anywhere except Rachel Maddow is going to bring this up!

And the Catholic league is doubling down going "lol u mad".

They are such horrible little scumbags, aren't they?

What you need to understand is that their entire philosophical framework is based on love. /s

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    @CatholicLeague: Lesbian Dem Hilary Rosen tells Ann Romney she never worked a day in her life. Unlike Rosen, who had to adopt kids, Ann raised 5 of her own.

pfffffffhahahaha like anyone anywhere except Rachel Maddow is going to bring this up!

What you need to understand is that their entire philosophical framework is based on love. /s

Of course, with their mental gymnastics, their definition of "love" works as a defense for pretty much anything horrible, down to klan membership and Jonestownism.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

Of course, with their mental gymnastics, their definition of "love" works as a defense for pretty much anything horrible, down to klan membership and Jonestownism.

Doesn't take much mental gymnastics; it can work for almost any religion. "Everyone who doesn't think exactly the same way as me is going to Hell, so by oppressing them through bigotry I'm doing them a favor by encouraging them to change their minds."

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I don't usually like to link to sites like thinkprogress, but http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/04/12/463211/catholic-leaders-ryan-budget/?mobile=nc
    The founder of the PICO National Network, the largest national coalition of religious congregations, slammed Ryan’s claim of adherence to Catholic teaching as “the height of hypocrisy” in a release circulated Wednesday:
    “It’s the height of hypocrisy for Rep. Ryan to claim that his approach to the budget is shaped by Catholic teaching and values,” said Fr. John Baumann, S.J., founder of PICO National Network. [...] “A central moral measure of any budget proposal is how it affects “the least of these” (Matthew 25). The needs of those who are hungry and homeless, without work or in poverty should come first.”

snake-eating-itself-om-nom-nom-i5791.jpg

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I'm not clear why this is a snake eating it's tail.

• Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    I'm not clear why this is a snake eating it's tail.

Half the republican platform is "we are Christian/religious values" and the other half is "we are not commies."

The not commies half is eating the religious values half.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    It's because many Republicans are confused about the whole Jesus thing

You see they think he was a social conservative whos sole concern was taxes

override367 on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

It's right there in the Bible: "Read my lips: NO. NEW. TAXES."

Reagan never said that.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

Reagan never said that.

You're not applying the 'Holy Trinity property' properly to this gimmick.

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    When in 2008 did Nate Silver start laying down the law with models, projections and historical analyses etc.?

Because a fellow needs his damn fix over here.

Absalon on
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I don't usually like to link to sites like thinkprogress, but http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/04/12/463211/catholic-leaders-ryan-budget/?mobile=nc
    The founder of the PICO National Network, the largest national coalition of religious congregations, slammed Ryan’s claim of adherence to Catholic teaching as “the height of hypocrisy” in a release circulated Wednesday:
    “It’s the height of hypocrisy for Rep. Ryan to claim that his approach to the budget is shaped by Catholic teaching and values,” said Fr. John Baumann, S.J., founder of PICO National Network. [...] “A central moral measure of any budget proposal is how it affects “the least of these” (Matthew 25). The needs of those who are hungry and homeless, without work or in poverty should come first.”

snake-eating-itself-om-nom-nom-i5791.jpg

Damn liberals masquerading as religious figures!!!

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    When in 2008 did Nate Silver start laying down the law with models, projections and historical analyses etc.?

Because a fellow needs his damn fix over here.

June, I think.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    I really don't understand how people in this thread can be saying Obama or Romney are really likely to win some specific swing state. Even with current polls I can't imagine that data would be very accurate this far out.

Because the numbers don't swing that extremely. A double digit lead in a so-called "swing state" with a sitting President and a well known challenger means its unlikely that it will change drastically.

I went and tried to look up some numbers from Ohio or Florida in the months leading up to the 2004 election. I only found some numbers for the end of October. Gallup predicted 50% Kerry, 46% Bush. The results ended up being 51% bush 49% Kerry. So Bush out performed his poll by 5% from a poll taken only days before an election. I would guess that someone could lose a low double digit lead 6 months out.
    Here's the 538 projection for March 2008

2332011323_02746575d9_m.jpg

3 GOP leaners went to Obama, 3 tossups went to Obama. This is after a major financial meltdown and Sarah Palin helped lock up the victory. The Dem primary battle took its toll for a while, but even 6 months out we can still project where its going to be tough for Romney to win and where its going to be tough for Obama to win. That's why Romney is not campaigning in Massachusetts (unless he does some Boston media for the NH crossover) despite being based in Boston. Its why Obama is not going to pour money into Utah. And its why both sides are up and running in places like Florida, Ohio, Michigan and Pennsylvania.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • LorctheOrcLorctheOrc Registered User regular

What would you expect from popery?

• dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    Oh hey, Lorc is back!

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    What the over-under on how many posts about the pope until he gets banned again?

• TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »
    I don't like how swiftly people have backed down over this 'Ann Romney has no idea how hard the real world is' thing. The woman is married to a multi millionaire and has never wanted for anything in her entire life. If her kids stressed her out for one second she could send them right off to a nanny, and any chore she didn't want to do someone could do for her. There's a MASSIVE difference between choosing to do something and having to do something. I think vegetable gardening is a great hobby, but I don't think it gives me any real understanding of the plight of peasant farmers in the middle ages. Why? Because I could have someone else take care of it whenever I want to, so even if I spend 8 hours weeding and doing stuff on the weekend and work literally from dawn till dusk it still isn't in the same ballpark.

The quote is "she never worked a day in her life." Which is an obnoxious thing to say, at the very least.

That it's become a big deal is indicative of how fucking stupid our media culture is.

I believe that is the sound-bite, not the quote.

I believe the actual quote, in context, is referring to "the economic issues American women are facing" or some such, clearly implying that she meant work outside the home.

EDIT: So not only is it indicative how stupid our media culture is, it's also indicative of why. At least one major reason.

It's still obnoxious. Just stick to the "she's filthy fucking rich so has no idea how most women have to deal with everyday issues like keeping their children fed and healthy."

But that's the exact point she was trying to make? Should she have more clearly vocalized that she's never worked a day in her life because she's filthy fucking rich and therefore a poor example of what the average woman is concerned about regarding economic issues? Sure. But trying to twist her original statement to mean that Ann Romney opinion doesn't matter because she's a stay at home mom is incredibly disingenuous. And it's incredibly lazy and cowardly for the Obama camp to throw her under the bus as hard and swiftly as they did.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    dbrock270 wrote: »
    Oh hey, Lorc is back!

Not for long, I'd wager.

KetBra wrote: »
    I really don't understand how people in this thread can be saying Obama or Romney are really likely to win some specific swing state. Even with current polls I can't imagine that data would be very accurate this far out.

Because the numbers don't swing that extremely. A double digit lead in a so-called "swing state" with a sitting President and a well known challenger means its unlikely that it will change drastically.

I've been looking at polling lately, and went to RCP to see what their projections are looking like so far, and wow.

If you're still wondering why Romney is in so much trouble in November, you really don't have to look any further than this:

IEl3E.png

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I don't like how swiftly people have backed down over this 'Ann Romney has no idea how hard the real world is' thing. The woman is married to a multi millionaire and has never wanted for anything in her entire life. If her kids stressed her out for one second she could send them right off to a nanny, and any chore she didn't want to do someone could do for her. There's a MASSIVE difference between choosing to do something and having to do something. I think vegetable gardening is a great hobby, but I don't think it gives me any real understanding of the plight of peasant farmers in the middle ages. Why? Because I could have someone else take care of it whenever I want to, so even if I spend 8 hours weeding and doing stuff on the weekend and work literally from dawn till dusk it still isn't in the same ballpark.

The quote is "she never worked a day in her life." Which is an obnoxious thing to say, at the very least.

That it's become a big deal is indicative of how fucking stupid our media culture is.

I believe the actual quote, in context, is referring to "the economic issues American women are facing" or some such, clearly implying that she meant work outside the home.

EDIT: So not only is it indicative how stupid our media culture is, it's also indicative of why. At least one major reason.

Well, the thing is, a pretty well known feminist complaint is how domestic work, especially childrearing, is devalued in our society. So Rosen does deserve a bit of kicking for her comment.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Well, the thing is, a pretty well known feminist complaint is how domestic work, especially childrearing, is devalued in our society. So Rosen does deserve a bit of kicking for her comment.

Ok, but when you're that rich, I'm not sure exactly how much actual rearing of said child is involved. Believe me, I've seen it.

Sicarii on
    gotsig.jpg
  • AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    KetBra wrote: »

I've been looking at polling lately, and went to RCP to see what their projections are looking like so far, and wow.

If you're still wondering why Romney is in so much trouble in November, you really don't have to look any further than this:

IEl3E.png

A bunch of toss-ups in there. I wonder how McCain looked in April 2008 compared to Romney now. Still, even if Obama looks pretty good right now, there is congress.

Sicarii wrote: »

Ok, but when you're that rich, I'm not sure exactly how much actual rearing of said child is involved. Believe me, I've seen it.

The point though is that Rosen's comments run counter to arguments made by the Left regarding the valuation of domestic labor. And Rosen didn't qualify them with pointing out that the wealth of Clan Romney meant that Ann had tools most stay at home parents don't. Yes, we get what she was saying, but she shot herself in the foot to say it.

Absalon wrote: »
    A bunch of toss-ups in there. I wonder how McCain looked in April 2008 compared to Romney now. Still, even if Obama looks pretty good right now, there is congress.

Congress I'm not necessarily worried about. Assuming Obama remains in office for four more years, it's going to fire up the GOP base for 2014 mid-terms, but at the same time, it's going to fire them up to the extremism even more - which will alienate more of their base. They may end up losing footing in the Congress.

edited April 2012
    The economy may well get far worse before November because of Spain's debt crisis and the global economic reality of that Obama

override367 on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Sicarii wrote: »

Yeah, I think the big complaint is that an awful lot of women are expected to put in an eight-hour day, and then come home to cook, clean, and take care of the kids (running them around to after-school activities and such), and that frequently things like parent-teacher conferences and such fall to the mother.

I don't think the complaint is "kept wives really don't get enough credit for managing their household staff."

• LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Bleh, the whole quotation is just a conflation on the word 'work' and is utterly ridiculous it made it to the national level.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Yes, we get what she was saying, but she shot herself in the foot to say it.

Well, 144 characters leaves out a lot of nuance.

Yeah she forgot that as a Democrat she's a proxy for Obama and anything she says can be taken out of context and run on Fox all day for a week

• SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular
    Why does Obama hate your Mom?

Coming up on Fox and Friends

gotsig.jpg
    Yeah she forgot that as a Democrat she's a proxy for Obama and anything she says can be taken out of context and run on Fox all day for a week

No, she forgot that running counter to an argument your side has been arguing for decades is not going to end well. And if you can't say everything you need to say in a tweet, then don't tweet.

No, she forgot that running counter to an argument your side has been arguing for decades is not going to end well. And if you can't say everything you need to say in a tweet, then don't tweet.

She only ran counter to an argument her side has been arguing for decades if you completely remove all context from her statement.

She only ran counter to an argument her side has been arguing for decades if you completely remove all context from her statement.

Which, by her choice of venue, Rosen happily did. Seriously, she knows how the game is played. She should have known better.

edited April 2012

Which, by her choice of venue, Rosen happily did. Seriously, she knows how the game is played. She should have known better.

Yeah, but the appropriate response should have been to clarify what she meant. The actual point she was trying to make is a strong one. Instead, we got the administration saying that she should apologize and Obama saying that stay-at-home mom is the toughest job in the world. I expect the right to completely misrepresent what she was trying to say. I would have hoped better of the left.

TheCanMan on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    Bleh, the whole quotation is just a conflation on the word 'work' and is utterly ridiculous it made it to the national level.
    Mittens can't run on the things he's done in the past.

It's up to the Democratic Apology Machine to get him some talking points.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular

Yeah, but the appropriate response should have been to clarify what she meant. The actual point she was trying to make is a strong one. Instead, we got the administration saying that she should apologize and Obama saying that stay-at-home mom is the toughest job in the world. I expect the right to completely misrepresent what she was trying to say. I would have hoped better of the left.

She is a nobody.

Throwing her under the bus doesn't hurt/tarnish/damage any politican.

Team Obama made the correct call.

• RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular

No one wants to be within 10 miles of even appearing to be slightly anti-anything mother related. Motherhood and Fatherhood are off limits. Rosen knows this; her word choice was poor.

This discussion has been closed.