As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

help me build a great website

chiba37chiba37 Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Artist's Corner
Hey! I'm new to the forums and I heard good things about the posters here,like half the planet I have a webcomic stiffs.thewebcomic.com/,but that's not why I'm here I put my comic
on hold for a couple of weeks to dig through my files and put up some new(old) stuff on my personal website,so I want a critique of
some of the purpose pieces I want to put up on the site:
get-attachment-5aspx.jpg
no name yet
get-attachment-4aspx.jpg
cupid's day off (a t-shirt idea)
13c0py.jpg
tell what you think
more to come later

chiba37 on

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    You have a certain interesting pop art affectation going on, particularly in your choice of proportions and features.

The middle image is a bit...riddle-like to me. What is Cupid's Day Off? What is Chiba 37? Why is this guy being hit with a carton of stuff? Why does the hand with the phone have a different coloured thumb, or is that a partially-obscured crescent moon? Does that make the 'impact' a sun? What is it?

I mean, if you're going for surreality, you've certainly got something out there on that one.

I do like the other two much more. The boy holding the box has a lot of unique qualities-the deliberate positioning of the feet, the weird, tension-defined hands, the strange box holding the icons of half-baked adolescence...The fingernails on the left hand all twitching and different. Not sure if the drawing needs the 'sunburst' of illumination behind the head. It does give it a good focal pop, but it might be better suited by making the light source of the box the dominant light illuminating the face.

• Options
    thanks for the words, on cupid the thumb was a mistake it should've been the same as the rest of the hand i did a last min color change before i posted this,chiba37 was my way of signing the pic without signing it,and the carton was supposed to be a brick,I was trying to think of an alternative to an arrow like an arrow it has an impact but doesn't always lead to death,lol
    I have to correct one thing the behind his in 13 was the shine from the box
    but all in all good thoughts and maybe i might have make some changes to cupid so some things are clearer

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    I think the real trick with digital art is to make it look like it wasn't done digitally. At the moment your work is as digital as it can possibly be, even down to throwing down filters onto certain portions of your art. Your first piece is by far the most composed even though the bullet looks like an after thought and was un-noticable until I took a second loo. However it does have a natural feel to it that you should be aiming for in the rest of your work. I would suggest stepping away from the computer and developing a real feel for other art mediums, a pencil is the best friend of any artist, but other mediums will help broaden your range.

• Options
    I have things that I've painted that is less ca
    rtoony but lately that's where my head is at,it could change in a couple
    Of months
    I see you point about the filters,can't say I love them as much as when I first did the pic

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    I think it is matter of becoming proficient in art fundamentals.
    One does not simply become great at stylised drawing by doing stylised drawing alone, all the best cartoonist have a solid foundation in fundamentals. I can tell from your cartoon work that you struggle with construction and movement. I'm not saying this to be a jerk, but when you start down this well worn path it will open a whole world of options when it comes to your artwork. It is like having an art roadmap to the thing you want to create. Once you have that your stylised drawings will start to really develop.

• Options
    Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    Went to your site and after reading 2 comics both with profanity and both essentially dick and fart humor I was done.

I forced myself to read a few more bofore commenting though hoping to see something different.

From an art standpoint you're better than 80% of what's out there.

From a writing standpoint you come off as an angry teen with nothing original to say. You use bad grammar and language as though it makes the jokes "edgy" but all it does for me is make me loose interest.

It seems you want to write sociopolitical humor like Boondocks. I'd recommended reading up on current events and cleaning up your writing so you generate fresh relevant content instead of retreading.

Instagram: fadedsneakers
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    I don't know how you're saving your files, but right now they have a large amount of compression artifacts.

• Options
    I really work at a famous museum (*hint* they made two big time Hollywood movies about the place)you would be surprise how much of the dialogueand themes are from this job and past jobs
    When I do a strip asking about Fred's boss asking him if he's gay,that really happen to me
    *the incident in the bathroom was so true that I had to wait until the individuals involved left the job so I could tell the story,lol
    my goal in the beginning was a comic gear as a seduction of innocent,where we see Fred at the start of the jo(b bright-eyed and full of hope until the end where he's turned into a jaded vet like his co-workers or maybe not I haven't decided. I will admit I've lost my way,I'm not gag-a-day writer which is why I'm going go be doing more story arcs
    80% thanks! considering that I'm mostly self-taught(I do have a art degree but mostly in ad work and not comics)
    You're right about the grammer,I need an editor

• Options
    @faded_sneakers good thoughts you give me a lot to think a out

• Options
    A pen and ink pic
    igotyou.jpg

• Options
    Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    I don't mean to come off harshly but reading my prior post I realize I was overly sharp. Sorry.

If you consider your post respondong above for a minute it is articulate and follows a certain path of thought.

Sometimes in your comic the language made it difficult to discern what was being said. Making following what was happening kind of disjointed and hard to follow.

100 Bullets is a comic that uses slang and heavily styalized dialogue to flesh out a characters background / ethnicity / culture etc and it does it very well.

But this can be very difficult to pull off. And even when done well can initially lead to confusing your audience.

In anycase I particularly am enjoying the art you're posting here and hope you continue.

Instagram: fadedsneakers
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    chiba37 wrote: »
    A pen and ink pic
    igotyou.jpg

Wow. This shows quite a lot of promise. The control in the shading...

• Options
    Yea I know it's the one draw back to digital art if you make a mistake you can
    just hit control z problem fixed but when you do it with pen and paper with this many lines even liquids paper can't fix your problems

• Options
    @faded_sneakers I work In an internationaly know building I've cursed out
    By the best and in different languages too,lol my skin is thick I can respect a person
    Who might not like what I do as long as there is real thought behind it and not just hate
    cuz at that point I got to set fire to that ass,lol
    I think in the future I'm going to keep the slang to min

• Options
    edited April 2012
    some selected pages from my webcomic that i can hopefully add to a section of my web site
    free-lunch-6.jpg
    fred-is-in-love-pt3.jpg
    fred-is-in-love--5.jpg
    fred-in-love-13.jpg

chiba37 on
  • Options
    page-1.jpg
    this is a page from a mock pamphlet i'm making for an up coming story
    a t-shirt idea
    sm-zombie.jpg