As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Summer Slugfest Slamdown: Movies & More!

• spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    I'm liking the Green Lantern series a lot so far. I have almost zero knowledge of GL outside of the animated DC world, so if they're fucking up all kinds of storylines, I'll never know, but it's neat to watch them create guns and giant fists and shit out of glowy green energy.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    GL:TAS: YES!
    St. Walker has already shown up. And it looks like Mogo is here as well.

I'll hold out for a G'nort sighting.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I'm liking the Green Lantern series a lot so far. I have almost zero knowledge of GL outside of the animated DC world, so if they're fucking up all kinds of storylines, I'll never know, but it's neat to watch them create guns and giant fists and shit out of glowy green energy.

They're changing everything up a ton. Too much of Johns's GL just wouldn't work as a kids cartoon. For the most part, I enjoy the changes, because this version feels more sciency.

The Geoff Johns stuff is great and I love it, but it's a huge blend of sci-fi and fantasy tropes, with the fantasy stuff getting sci-fi decals. Most of the Lantern Corps feel like they were lifted from sword and sorcery stuff, from their powersets to the way they behave even down to their looks and the planets they live on. GL:TAS sterlizes a lot of that stuff, focusing more on adventure and exploration in addition to a greater emphasis on actual futuristic technology.

I don't mind that the Red Lanterns have intelligence and are organized, or that they live on what looks to be the remains of Ryutt, retrofitted into a spaceship. I actually think that's awesome.

The only change I have minded so far
    Is that they made Mogo able to talk using the ring. They were too lazy to find another way for him to communicate.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Hadji:

Johns' run certainly would be to dark for the current cartoon. It is aimed at a younger audience and I don't think the writers have the talent to execute it well. A cartoon that's slightly darker in tone like Star Wars: A Clone Wars, with writers from the Timm-verse stable (Justice League: TAS/ Justice League Unlimited/Batman:TAS/Superman:TAS) or Young Justice they should be able to do a decent semi-adaption from his run. Toned down considerably, of course.

Hmmm, this is probably my favorite Superman story ever, but this looks too shoddy to get excited about. From the looks of that trailer, the DC animated movies just keep getting cheaper with the animation and production values.

• noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Hensler wrote: »

Hmmm, this is probably my favorite Superman story ever, but this looks too shoddy to get excited about. From the looks of that trailer, the DC animated movies just keep getting cheaper with the animation and production values.

I'm hoping the story, and especially the climatic battle at the moon carries the movie through, cause I'm really hating the character design. Especially Manchester Black- this probably sounds silly, but he's drawn way too cartoonish if that makes. I'm also not a fan of how the lips are drawn, they always stood out in the 90's WB Superman cartoon and they do here.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    I'm not digging the character design in that either. which is a shame, because the story is fantastic.

• DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    I don't mind it and anything looks good compared to Apocalypse.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    I want GL to be all about St. Walker now. I didn't imagine his voice anything like that voice actor, but he does an awesome job.

steam_sig-400.png
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Aliens in Avengers confirmed as
    Chitauri

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    They suck

but hey, whatever

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Chitauri

Where? Because I'll I've seen were rumors.

Quire.jpg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Chitauri

Where? Because I'll I've seen were rumors.

People twittering after the premier. I wouldn't call it "confirmed" yet, though.

Undead Scottsman on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I kinda figured it would be them from the start because
    Chitauri are Skrulls without the right's issue of naming them Skrulls. ( Cause weren't Skrulls rights tied up in the whole Fantastic Four dealy?)

Edit: Augh, like a buttload of places had a premier last night apparently, time to be really careful what I click on until the 4th!

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Yeah, we should probably try to institute a rule where people need to clarify their spoilers a bit. Or maybe I need to stop being OCD and clicking on them all :D

Anywho, as for what you said WiseManTobes
    Chitauri (and by exension, Skrulls) work best as infiltrators and as a secret invasion force (due to the shapeshifting abilities) I figured they wouldn't use Skrulls because the aliens in the movie seem to be more of a straight up brute force attackers. Granted I haven't seen the movie so there may be lots of shapeshifting going on, but I figured the Badoon would be the best bet for the movie as they seem to make good footsoldier type invaders.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Yeah, we should probably try to institute a rule where people need to clarify their spoilers a bit. Or maybe I need to stop being OCD and clicking on them all :D

Anywho, as for what you said WiseManTobes
    Chitauri (and by exension, Skrulls) work best as infiltrators and as a secret invasion force (due to the shapeshifting abilities) I figured they wouldn't use Skrulls because the aliens in the movie seem to be more of a straight up brute force attackers. Granted I haven't seen the movie so there may be lots of shapeshifting going on, but I figured the Badoon would be the best bet for the movie as they seem to make good footsoldier type invaders.
    The Chitauri (and Skrulls) can be both, actually. Especially the Skrulls with their warrior caste and genetically upgraded soldiers like Super Skrull. While the trailers show the Chitauri being overt it's also possibly they have spies in human society and SHIELD. If they're keeping their shape-shifting abilities in tact for the film, of course.

@Undead, ya they way they acted, that's who I guessed also, but the other was my first guess mostly because of the rights thing.

I'm almost wondering if they weren't the first choice, and then they did the guessing polls and realized most non comic fans saw that and said
    " Who the hell are the Badoon?"

@Undead, ya they way they acted, that's who I guessed also, but the other was my first guess mostly because of the rights thing.

I'm almost wondering if they weren't the first choice, and then they did the guessing polls and realized most non comic fans saw that and said

It wasn't long ago that the question would have been
    "Who the hell is Iron Man?"
    I don't think prior obsurity is a legitimate excuse anymore, especially you already have the Avengers and Loki as the point of familiarity in the movie. They can reallly introduce anyone into the film at this point (aside from guys they don't have the rights to.)

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    If the Chitauri are the villains, then let's be honest: Millar and Hitch already made that movie, and it was awesome. However, I don't ever want to watch it again.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I do. I honestly don't get how a fan of comic books can't be excited about this.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    If the Chitauri are the villains, then let's be honest: Millar and Hitch already made that movie, and it was awesome. However, I don't ever want to watch it again.
    Except

y'know

Loki

CYpGAPn.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Ultimates 1 and 2
    Crimson is being a bit silly

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    I do. I honestly don't get how a fan of comic books can't be excited about this.

Well, that was specifically directed at Ultimates. I don't want to see this because I think Joss Whedon is awful, and the last movie I saw in a theater was TDK. I'll probably watch it, eventually, but I don't generally bother watching spectacles that I can forget about ten minutes after they're over. This has that written all over it, with a smattering of nonsense. The clip they showed on Letterman when Cobie Smulders was on (Monday or Tuesday) was just completely nonsensical and forgettable combination of posturing between Hill and Fury and technobabble bullshit that made me sit up and really wonder why they chose that to use as the clip because I never want to see that scene again.

To be fair, my reaction after seeing TDK was the same as seeing Mystic River. "That's a great movie I don't ever want to see again." It's grown on me since, but the combination of it being disturbingly violent and the on-the-nose political allegory at the height of the zeitgeist was just too much.

I guess that's the other thing, and why I don't like the Ultimate line. I don't like the kind of violence the trailers and previous movies have implied. I especially don't like watching scenes of impersonal mass ultraviolence that comes with, for example, invasion movies. I am planning to see The Raid in the theater as it finally comes to Albuquerque, and it is violent as Hell, but there's just a difference to it that I don't particularly like or want to pay to see.

Counterpoint! Cap's order to Hulk in this spot, makes me giddy, especially Hulk's grin afterwards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgX-GdKMJc8

Well, that was specifically directed at Ultimates. I don't want to see this because I think Joss Whedon is awful, and the last movie I saw in a theater was TDK. I'll probably watch it, eventually, but I don't generally bother watching spectacles that I can forget about ten minutes after they're over. This has that written all over it, with a smattering of nonsense. The clip they showed on Letterman when Cobie Smulders was on (Monday or Tuesday) was just completely nonsensical and forgettable combination of posturing between Hill and Fury and technobabble bullshit that made me sit up and really wonder why they chose that to use as the clip because I never want to see that scene again.

To be fair, my reaction after seeing TDK was the same as seeing Mystic River. "That's a great movie I don't ever want to see again." It's grown on me since, but the combination of it being disturbingly violent and the on-the-nose political allegory at the height of the zeitgeist was just too much.

I guess that's the other thing, and why I don't like the Ultimate line. I don't like the kind of violence the trailers and previous movies have implied. I especially don't like watching scenes of impersonal mass ultraviolence that comes with, for example, invasion movies. I am planning to see The Raid in the theater as it finally comes to Albuquerque, and it is violent as Hell, but there's just a difference to it that I don't particularly like or want to pay to see.

I love that word. It pretty much tells me ahead of time that we're not going to agree on anything. ;)

But on a serious note, if you don't like "ultraviolence" as you call it, I think you may be in the wrong genre of film.

Nobody but comic fans know who the fuck the Chittari are either and why should that matter? Do you really think they would freakout name change the mooks to a movie?

The choice is odd to me though as they are not anything like their counterparts.

Quire.jpg

You should at least watch this before you pass on the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6ASh6vVj0k&list=UUpb7sloZM9-oHby6zbjuFJw&feature=plcp

Quire.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    i dont care about superheroes, so i don't care about superhero movies
    i don't really have a problem with them or anything, i just don't care

certain concepts and plotlines involving super...folk intrigue me, but i don't really care that much

Nobody but comic fans know who the fuck the Chittari are either and why should that matter? Do you really think they would freakout name change the mooks to a movie?

The choice is odd to me though as they are not anything like their counterparts.

I wasn't really stating it, was just saying, when they did those polls, even Chitauri, and a few I hadn't even heard of were guesses in the top percent, while Badoon was at the bottom of almost all of them heh, Armored Lizard screamed badoon tho. I felt kinda sorry for the badoon.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The Chitauri are cheapo Skrull knock-offs with some Nazi elements added in

But when the Avengers are beating their faces in, I don't think it will matter

I would have preferred some better aliens though

I don't like all this "take it from the Ultimates" thing they are doing

the Ultimate Universe changes are, for me, mostly pretty crap

Solar on
    Solar wrote: »

Actually, the Chitauri ARE Skrulls.

In the original Ultimates series, the Chitauri specifically mention that they're known as Skrulls is some parts of the galaxy. Later, when actual Skrulls show up in the Ultimate Fantastic Four series, they mention the Chitauri were a rogue faction and the new Skrulls get offended if you refer to them as Chitauri rather than Skrulls.

Solar wrote: »

But when the Avengers are beating their faces in, I don't think it will matter

I would have preferred some better aliens though

I don't like all this "take it from the Ultimates" thing they are doing

the Ultimate Universe changes are, for me, mostly pretty crap

And if they were going to go that route I honestly would have preferred if they used Her Klieser in Captain America and only mentioned Red Skull. Then Her could come back in Avengers with Loki and the second Cap could be set in present day and the 40's as Cap unravels the mystery of the Red Skulls survival.

Quire.jpg
    They have been releasing clips for the Avengers like mad, Going to have to go media blackout for the last month or so :/

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Just two more weeks

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    DEVILSADVACATEDEVILSADVACATEDEVILSADVACATEDEVILSADVACATEDEVILSADVACATEDEVILSADVACATEDEVILSADVACATE

aw man i sure do feel like a sheep for not agreeing with you

Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular

You should at least watch this before you pass on the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6ASh6vVj0k&list=UUpb7sloZM9-oHby6zbjuFJw&feature=plcp

I keep wondering about the phrase 'Maybe your army comes.'

I mean, we know Loki gets an army, but I almost wonder if this is some kind of thing where Loki showed up with his glowing staff and started yelling at people to make him ruler, and when that didn't happen he started making threats about an army he didn't really have yet.

It'd be really interesting if part of the movie is Loki powerbrokering a deal to hire several hundred alien warriors from someone or something out there in exchange for favors or something else.

Stark's really making it sound like Loki hasn't proved he's got an army at all yet.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I would've been utterly shocked if they'd used the Badoon just because of the horrible name. I mean, I can't be the only one who thinks "baboon" every time I see it.

So some sort of secret scene was filmed with the whole cast of Avengers, the night of the premiere. And if I remember right, something similair was done with the Nick Fury scene at the end of Iron Man Uno. I wonder if they're setting something big up, spoiler wise, to set up Round 2 of the Marvel films?

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Not sure if I should, but I'm going to spoiler blatant, unfounded speculation about the avengers movie.
    I think someone is going to die, and that someone is going to be Agent Coulson. It's been hinted at someone dying and the main players are out. With Maria Hill being introduced in the movie she can take Coulson's role moving forward.

Kyougu wrote: »
    Not sure if I should, but I'm going to spoiler blatant, unfounded speculation about the avengers movie.
    I think someone is going to die, and that someone is going to be Agent Coulson. It's been hinted at someone dying and the main players are out. With Maria Hill being introduced in the movie she can take Coulson's role moving forward.
    Counterpoint : He is in the Ultimate spidey cartoon

This discussion has been closed.