As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop [Weightlifting thread]

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    look it's not my fault nobody knows how to make a proper competition chili

No beans in a chili?

The fuck kind of Chili Festival is that?

Also decided to up my weight by a more substantial amount than usual. Up from 38 I did my Squats at 48, my bench press at 43, and my deadlift at 53. Had my roomie take pictures of me at the lowest point of my squats and they are -significantly - deeper. I know the weight increase must have been just about right, since I've not been sweating after my workout like I was since my first week.

Had him do a video of my deadlift, only issue seems to be my grip wasn't even.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Back on track on the bench, did the modified Coan routine.

Flat: 5x225, 5x245, 3x265
    Close Grip: 3x8x185
    Incline Throws: 135 x 10, 12, 16

• Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    bench
    4 x 3 x 255 today

won't be lifting friday, tweaked something in my calf.

will recuperate while i'm at CHILIFEST!!!

and guess what chili bitches, no beans allowed!! it's in the rules!

I've got some beans for ya

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Simpsonia, has your doctor talked about therapeutic ultrasound? I had it done after I had dislocated my shoulder for the 2nd time. Though it was after it was pretty well healed. It's supposed to remove the scar tissue buildup. It does hurt like hell. But I noticed an improvement.

DL, you know you can just do curls and tricep kickbacks. Gotta get your pump ON!

Actually yeah he did do some ultrasound on my shoulder today too, as well as some electro-acupuncture (my doc for all non-internal-guts related stuff is a chiropractor), though this didn't hurt per se, more just a tingling/heat sensation.

I am still a little worried about unracking for squats, but I guess I'll find out tomorrow haha.

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    I need somebody to train with.

It's boring as hell working out alone and difficult to get motivated, too.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    look it's not my fault nobody knows how to make a proper competition chili

No beans in a chili?

The fuck kind of Chili Festival is that?

Also decided to up my weight by a more substantial amount than usual. Up from 38 I did my Squats at 48, my bench press at 43, and my deadlift at 53. Had my roomie take pictures of me at the lowest point of my squats and they are -significantly - deeper. I know the weight increase must have been just about right, since I've not been sweating after my workout like I was since my first week.

Had him do a video of my deadlift, only issue seems to be my grip wasn't even.

the right kind of one

beans are filler

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Pffffft.

*Devours beans in a corner*

• Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    Most if not all chili "purists" are anti-bean

But they are the Nazis of the chili world, lets be honest, beans are great

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Beans are Jews in this metaphor

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    God, there is a horrible joke about baked beans to be made and I can't quite pull myself to do it.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Would you prefer if someone else pulled you while you made the joke?

• Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Most if not all chili "purists" are anti-bean

But they are the Nazis of the chili world, lets be honest, beans are great

This post reminded me of Morgan Freeman sounding off on Tostadas.

Beans in chili is the only irreconcilable difference DL and I have. I fear that, without visiting Chilifest myself, I may never be able to clearly see his point of view.

• Options
    PraetorPraetor [Redacted]Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Argh. Had to push back second workout back a day - really, really bad DOMS for my mid back.

Also, turns out I had a brainfart when reading through SS - I thought it was 5x5, which was tough. Switching to properly doing 3x5 was significantly easier, probably going to stick with it.

Much better today, thank god, went ahead and pushed squats up to 150lbs, no problems. Trying OHP for the first time was interesting though. I definitely feel like my form needs a ton of work for it. Not comfortable with having my arms that far behind my head, I think. Ended up at 88lbs being the most I was comfortable with. Pendlay rows were fun - pretty simple, as far as I could tell, finished with 88lbs as well.

But man, do I hate having stairs in my place now. Especially tomorrow morning.

Praetor on
    3DS FC: 3067-6095-3603
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I love beans, don't get me wrong, but belong in chili? I say nay

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    I love beans, don't get me wrong, but belong in chili? I say nay

Put me in the No Beans category also. It's not real chili if it has beans in it.

I went to a Sport Chiropractor last week. After the manipulation stuff he had his assistant hook me up to some medical things that sent electricity into my back and also used some ultrasound gun on my back. The gun thing didn't seem to do anything, she just kind of rubbed it around. I didn't feel anything from it, but I did feel the electric pad things she hooked up. She said it my back should feel super relaxed that night, but it felt normal. =\

But today, I'm having some middle back cramps. Feels like I have a dislocated rib down there, but I don't know how I could have done that since I've just been sitting at work all morning and the pain showed up an hour ago. Da fuuuck

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Buddies wrote: »
    But today, I'm having some middle back cramps. Feels like I have a dislocated rib down there, but I don't know how I could have done that since I've just been sitting at work all morning and the pain showed up an hour ago. Da fuuuck

I dislocated one of my ribs once just coughing (was a bad one due to smoking and being sick at the time). Went to the chiropractor and he put his fist with one knuckle up underneath my back and then basically jumped on me while I was laying down on the fist. Popped it right back in and I was feeling great after that.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I don't always eat chili, but when I do, it has beans in it.

most-interesting-man-in-the-world.jpg

• Options
    I've decided that at least for a month or so I'll do more deadlifts in place of power cleans, but I'll want to replace it with something else eventually. Guess it makes a bit of sense, from what I'd read you start out doing Deadlifts for workout A & B with SS anyway.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I've always been the kind of body type that's good for short bursts of power but terrible at running and the like (6'2'' and 215lb). I'm pretty much gassed after just a three mile run, and I don't have time to run four or five days a week. My question is what I can do to improve my cardio endurance?

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    So I'm in good shape, I'm a pretty fit guy, and I'm pretty slim aside from some softness around the middle that I just can't seem to lose

My workout incorporates situps, planks and leg raises but I can't get rid of this dang stuff

Is there something else I need to be doing or is this going to come down to altering my diet

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    So I'm in good shape, I'm a pretty fit guy, and I'm pretty slim aside from some softness around the middle that I just can't seem to lose

My workout incorporates situps, planks and leg raises but I can't get rid of this dang stuff

Is there something else I need to be doing or is this going to come down to altering my diet

Well you could work out a lot more. Or you could eat better.

Ideally, you'll eat better and work out doing some weightlifting rather than just calisthenics.
    I've always been the kind of body type that's good for short bursts of power but terrible at running and the like (6'2'' and 215lb). I'm pretty much gassed after just a three mile run, and I don't have time to run four or five days a week. My question is what I can do to improve my cardio endurance?

Erg. Erg a lot.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Sorry, I should have clarified that I do lift weights, I was talking specifically about core and ab exercises that I do

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    my understanding is that exercise has nothing to do with where you lose fat, and that generally to lose weight you have to burn more calories than you take in through food. diet seems to be more important for weight loss than exercise, so yeah, eat better/less.

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Sorry, I should have clarified that I do lift weights, I was talking specifically about core and ab exercises that I do

Oh yeah, then probably best you can do is eat better/less.

Maybe throw some HIIT cardio in there every few days.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Well, I suppose I always knew it would catch up with me some day

• Options
    Would you prefer if someone else pulled you while you made the joke?

:winky:

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    @Grey Ghost

Do the whole more-smaller-meals thing. Four-to-six meals that can fit in just your hands cupped together. Nuts, spinch, tuna/salmon(no mayo), lean-ass steak. Nonfat cottage cheese, low-fat milk. Annihilate protein shakes erryday, but make sure the caloric content is low. Oil, not butter. No pastries. Lift FASTER, but don't sacrifice form and of course, be safe. Do cardio before every workout, and add five-ten minutes on the days you already do cardio. SLEEP.

Profit.

In my limited experience, however, you will gain NO mass.

• Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular

What kinda weight lifting? Higher rep sets of a 300lb squat with a properly fitted belt will work your abs harder than any situps.

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    Do the whole more-smaller-meals thing. Four-to-six meals that can fit in just your hands cupped together. Nuts, spinch, tuna/salmon(no mayo), lean-ass steak. Nonfat cottage cheese, low-fat milk. Annihilate protein shakes erryday, but make sure the caloric content is low. Oil, not butter. No pastries. Lift FASTER, but don't sacrifice form and of course, be safe. Do cardio before every workout, and add five-ten minutes on the days you already do cardio. SLEEP.

Profit.

In my limited experience, however, you will gain NO mass.

To lose enough weight not to have a big stomach I'd have to do all this.

But.

No, I can't. I can't sacrifice the happiness that meals bring me. It just wouldn't work out.

Oh well!

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    You can get lean doing a lot less than that

• Options
    Yeah, I suppose so.

Years ago I was able to lose around 70 lbs over the course of 6 or so months, but that had me eating a light dinner and a snack at the end of the day, plus much bike riding. I know I can't do that anymore, for one I was doing absolutely nothing else for that summer, so I didn't have to worry about work or school.

I guess I'll just concentrate on building muscles or whatever for now, I seem to be able to keep up with that pretty well.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Just eat less & healthier. I've got the opposite issue... having issues eating more than maintenance.

Tips i've been told that helped for friends losing weight was use smaller plates so your smaller portions look bigger, and make you feel more full. Eat more protein, cause it takes longer for you to feel hungry again, and eat healthy, so less sweets/ice cream and fast food.

If you're really dedicated, count calories.

Praetor on
  • Options
    Man I'm not sure whether to believe some of those things that calculate your maintenance/weight loss/etc calorie intake. I put in my weight, height, age etc and it tells me I'd be eating close to 4000 calories for maintenance.

I've never eaten 4000 calories in a day in my life.

• Options
    If you drink a lot of coke/pepsi and other sweet carbonated drinks, they add up really quick. Snacks too.

• Options
    Okay maybe previously in my life. I've not had a soda in a month though so that's out of the equation. Even when I still had them, I didn't drink as many as I used to. As for snacks... honestly I need to snack MORE I think. I've just never done them.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    those online calorie maintenance calculators always seem to give the most bullshit numbers

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Yeah I just put everything in on one, including light weight lifting which is basically what mine amounts to for now. Says I should be eating 4600 calories a day?! Wot?! NO!

• Options
    According to this thing if I eat a bit under 2000 calories a day I will have extreme weight loss. Or something.

Not sure I buy that.

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Yeah, p much just kinda doing SOME of what I wrote will help a ton. I did all of the above for about three months, and had people making comments about how I'd changed. But, ya... pretty grueling, and I couldn't kep it going.

• Options
    The thing I need to do the most is not eat right before bed. I know how bad that is for keeping off weight, but I have really weird sleep habits and can almost never actually fall asleep until I've been lying in bed for at least an hour, and I always feel really hungry before I even get into bed. That coupled with the fact that I've been told I have to eating habits of a sumo wrestler can't help anything.

I've also tried to knock out sweets, but I'm too weak. Still attempting to limit them but it doesn't always work.

Oh, and as for actual lifting, for some reason it seems I've been able to keep on increasing the weight for most of my lifts, except for my regular bench, which seems to have stalled out, and I'm not sure why. I'll keep going with it like I have been but if I don't see any increase I'm going to have to change something up I guess.

This discussion has been closed.