As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] End of PAX hotel reviews

• GruntGrundyGruntGrundy Registered User regular
    I stayed at the intercontinental for last year's PAX.

I just want to echo your sentiments here. The Intercontinental staff were very rude and unhelpful. For the price I expect some level of nickel and diming, especially in a business district hotel - but between the pay only WiFi (even in the lobby!), the ridiculously over priced bar, I was really hoping some basic level of customer service could be expected.

While this was certainly not the worst hotel I've ever been to, a single room runs you $200 to $300 a night, at that price I think it's fair to expect clean sheets, or at least sheets that aren't covered in what appear to be blood stains. The chaise lounge was cheap, faded, and obviously dirty.

Someone needs to remind the staff that they work at what amounts to a Holiday Inn+, and as such they need to step up their game - because your typical roadside Holiday or Hampton Inn runs circles around this place. Avoid at all costs.

• GentlemanneGentlemanne Registered User regular
    Stayed at the Westin this year, being connected to the BCEC was well worth the cost.

Had a small billing issue while checking in, which was resolved quickly and professionally by the staff (More than i can say for the staff at Intercontinental, where I stayed last year, who were less than helpful when a similar issue came up)

Paying for the WiFi was a drag, but the service and speed were good, even on the "silver" package.

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    Westin for the second year in a row here. Beds were comfy, can't beat the convenience, and they are classy people for setting up the gaming tables. They actively asked to, and seamlessly did, set up split billing on the room, so checkout was easy as can be. We also hit MJ O'Conners a lot - it's expensive, but not so much more than other sit-down places in the area, and they treated us right even when we were in larger groups.

The lobby bar did try to convince us that they couldn't bring some hot water for tea because the kitchen was closed...then five minutes later the waitress showed up with hot water all gung-ho to help, "would you like honey? sugar?" So I have no idea what happened there but it turned out OK.

tl;dr: I have no reason not to use the Westin again.

• PohTayToezPohTayToez Registered User regular
    We stayed at the Westin & it was definitely worth it but I had almost nothing but bull puckey from the staff. Even before pulling into their driveway their shuttle driver was blasting away at his horn behind me while I was yeilding to pedestrians. I pulled in he got out shot the shit with the doorman who were both incredibly insulting to all PAXers (calling us cheap & rude among other things) & then he walked in to use the bathroom. The doorman then guilted me into tipping him as did the one at checkout. The only positive experience I had was the bartender Monday morning and that was at least a thank you for a tip I left for a coke...

I stayed at the Westin for most of my trip and encountered some of this as well. When I first walked in I thought the bag check in was a concierge, and walked right past it to the front desk where I asked to check my bags. The desk clerk didn't even point out my error, and checked my bags himself. A+.

But a couple days in I needed to leave something at bag check in and walked up to the desk to them all laughing about a $1 tip one had just received. Then when I ask to check my bag I get a skeptical look and am grilled on my room number. Sorry, but if you're going to be rude after laughing at a tip one might give to such behavior, why would you expect any tip at all?

• RABinVARABinVA Registered User new member
    I waited way too long to book a hotel because I Was afraid a work trip was going to derail the whole trip. We ended up at the Bulfinch over by the North Station and it was basically a piece of crap. Tiny room, toilet ran, very low shower water pressure, etc., etc. Just avoid it.

• DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    Seaport was incredible once again. The staff was nothing short of kind and helpful, even when there was a billing issue that could have killed PAX for me. Free wifi, only a short walk from the center, and right across the street from a Dunkin, a 7/11, and a Fresh City. <3 you Seaport.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    CthulhuKat wrote: »
    Westin was great.

Fridge in room did not work. :(

Maybe I'm spoiled... but it's the ONLY hotel I have ever been to where Wifi was NOT free. ($12.95/day)

The fridge in our room at the Westin also did not work. Odd. At least we brought a cooler for the ride up, so we were able to keep stuff cool anyways.
    Still I'd stay there again even with the super expensive internet since it is so convenient.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2012
    38thDoe wrote: »
    CthulhuKat wrote: »
    Westin was great.

Fridge in room did not work. :(

Maybe I'm spoiled... but it's the ONLY hotel I have ever been to where Wifi was NOT free. ($12.95/day)

The fridge in our room at the Westin also did not work. Odd. At least we brought a cooler for the ride up, so we were able to keep stuff cool anyways.
    Still I'd stay there again even with the super expensive internet since it is so convenient.

They disable the fridges if you do not specifically ask for them to be turned on, since they are actually supposed to be for a mini-bar (min-bars are removed during some types of conventions, like pax). If you ask, they will re-enable it for you just as a fridge. In the case of it literally not working (which is what one of my friends had happen) they'll bring you up a separate mini-fridge.

zerzhul on
  • SpectacledBearSpectacledBear Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Stayed at the Seaport. Loved it. The room was great and location (to BCEC and Dunkin) is a huge plus.

Currently playing Stardew Valley and I Am Setsuna.

LPr3CtQ.png
  • -=Antimatter=--=Antimatter=- The Big Wang Theory MARegistered User new member
    I stayed at the Holiday Inn Brookline, having the pool and hot tub was awesome, although the rooms were a bit small (we had 3 people in a 2x twin bed room). Free wifi and easy access to the T.

• d3r371ctd3r371ct pittsburghRegistered User regular
    stayed at the days inn on soldiers field. the microwave and fridge worked, chinese restaurant in the lobby was a plus. however, the beds were REALLY uncomfortable. hopefully, next year i'll get a room further in advance :rotate:

lemon curry?
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Hilton Boston Downtown/Financial District:
    Very friendly staff, particularly the concierge and the front desk. We had a suite-like room (2-bed bedroom and den area with couch, table with four chairs) split among four of us, and it was very roomy and comfortable. The only complaint I have about the room was the TV in the den seemed to be stuck in demo mode and the hotel remote couldn't disable it, so the left side of the screen was obscured.
    The hotel is right in downtown, so convenient walking distance to more bars and restaurants than I can count, and about a 20-minute walk to the BCEC. Surprisingly quiet, despite all the excitement of the weekend. Price wasn't bad considering the size - ~$300 split among four people, it's very affordable. The thing I wish they would change about price: Myself and the other folks in our room agreed that the price of the room should include at least wired internet, but any connection at all cost about $15 per day. I actually e-mailed the suggestion to Hilton and they are getting back to me. Speaking of which, their customer representatives are very prompt and professional. I honestly did not expect to hear anything back.

I give the hotel a 4.5/5 all-around. Would stay again!

• TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    I stayed at the Marriot in Quincy, Ma. It was a really nice hotel with great front desk attendants who helped us figure out how to take the T-Line. We ended up paying like $130 a night but it was worth it, the free shuttle to the T-Line was great and helped me cut down on gas/parking costs for the convention. The ride on the T-Line to the South Station was only about 20min which isnt too bad considering i take an hour subway ride to work everyday (live in NYC).

The beds were comfortable as all hell, the room was incredibly clean and we were able to have pizza delivered by Dominoes, Papa Johns wouldnt go for some reason even though they were closer. Id stay in this hotel again but id try to get something a bit closer next time.

• TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    Also at the Hilton Financial. All the hotel staff were very courteous and more than willing to help with any issues/questions. 4 of us were in a regular 2-bedroom with 2 "slim" full beds (we ended up taking the mattresses off and 2 people slept on the bed frames covered by the comforters. They said it was surprisingly soft and worth sleeping on.) Fridge (guessing it's usually a mini-bar) was on and ready to take in some drinks and deli meat the minute I checked in (I got there a few hours ahead of my cohorts.) Everything was nice and tidy upon arrival. Nice and quiet at night (if there was something going on each night with other PAXers, we certainly didn't hear anything.)

The only minor issues I came across were that because it's an older building the window sealing was pretty bad. Just to get the room temp to feel like 70ish degrees I had to turn the thermostat up to 76-77. All of the trashcans in the room were almost nothing more than USPS mailslots. They seriously could not have been more than like 5" at the widest point of the can (so we ended up leaving a lot of stuff outside the cans on the tables, not that we wanted to.) Then the water pressure in the shower wasn't that great, but reading other responses here it seems like a Boston thing.

I didn't mind the walk to and from BCEC, but I would definitely like to stay somewhere closer next year after being spoiled having a room at the Sheraton last Prime (for swag drop off and just plain rest without being 20+ minutes away from the action.)

• cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    2nd year staying at the Doubletree in Chinatown. I love this place. I had a better experience this year there than the last.

Pro:
    - Directly next to the Tufts Orange line stop, so getting on the T is simple.
    - Very close to Chinatown and thus, lots of food. There's a DD and CVS about 1-2 blocks away too, or a Starbucks in the hotel.
    - Connected to the YMCA and thus you get free access to it. My roommate used the jacuzzi one day to help relieve some tension after a long Con day.
    -Mini Fridge ready to go and a good size room
    - Staff was so nice! I was worried about checking in early Thursday because last year I had to wait and still didn't get the room I requested, but this year they had what I wanted and checked me in fast and right away!
    - Good water pressure and nice HOT water.
    - They gave us free extra cookies if we asked after coming in to the hotel later at night.
    - $160 a night after all the taxes.

Con:
    - Never had a view but doesn't matter much to me.
    - Next to a hospital so sometimes get sirens. Only heard them once.
    - Thursday and Friday I swear there was some kind of party going on outside in the parking lot next door which was VERY loud. No idea what that was about.
    - Very tiny parking lot
    - Expensive breakfast/$14 for wifi, though my phone automatically connected to an AT&T wifi when I got there.
    - The soap they offer has left really dry patches on my skin. Next year I'll bring my own kind.

Overall, the Cons are very minor if you are fine walking some short distances.

• sealegssealegs Registered User new member
    We (four of us) stayed at the Back Bay Hilton and we seem to have had a pretty different experience to you guys at the downtown Hilton. For the price I found there to be a lot of problems, some large, some small. We paid $270/night for one room with two double beds and life's tiniest bathroom. The room was much, much smaller than I've gotten for a much lower price in other cities (namely Vancouver and Toronto; maybe the Back Bay area is just super expensive?) We got very loud, very insistent knocking on our door at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday morning by housekeeping staff; a couple of us were already up getting ready to grab a shuttle, but had this been a more typical trip, you can believe none of us would have been very happy at being woken up at 8 a.m. after a Friday night on vacation. The heating came on with a very loud bang 3-4 times a night, and the walls were so thin that we could hear everything (*everything*) from the hall, the surrounding rooms, and the bathroom. They attempted to charge the entire amount on my boyfriend's credit card on the night that we checked in, even though we were told that we would be able to pay 4-ways on the day we checked out. The staff were generally indifferent and not knowledgeable when we asked them questions about the area.

Positives: The view was beautiful. There were decent restaurants and a 24-hour grocery store within a 5 minute walk of our room. The gym and pool were (according to our one friend who went) good facilities. They had free wifi in the business center downstairs and paid-only wifi in the rooms, but our phones and laptops were usually still able to pick up the free connection upstairs.

Because of the price, service and the distance from the convention center, we definitely will not be staying there again. Also, though no fault of the hotel itself, a group of 5 or 6 highschoolers attending Anime Boston were staying right across the hall from us and coincidentally got out of the elevator at the same time we did on Friday night. They said "Oh you guys are across from us... sorry in advance LOLOLOL" I'm not one to call front desk and ruin the fun for a bunch of kids, but holy shit I did not know humans could make those kinds of noises. Also they were trying on underwear over top of their clothes in the hall at like 3 a.m. ._.

• KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    robocr0n wrote: »
    Didn't have much exposure to the Westin but I was able to sleep in a bed while staying there rather than on the floor, so I instantly loved it.
    You're welcome :D

JfqWFk8.png
  • TrandescentTrandescent Registered User regular
    Westin here. Staff was incredibly friendly, mezzanine taught me a few tabletop games and I loved the beds.

8elUgf9.png

PAX East 2018 4-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass [X] Hotel Reservation [X]

See y'all at PAX East 2018!
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    Ramada on Morrissey here. Probably never go there again. It was nice having a shuttle there every morning, but that's about the extent of the good parts.

My biggest complain is when I came back Saturday night (very late, mind you) our rooms DOOR WAS CRACKED OPEN. We had to run around the room in a panic trying to figure out if anything had been stolen. Luckily everything was there, but when we complained to the front desk the next day, we got the reply "okay..." and nothing was done about it. That's a pretty huge error that could've resulted in HUGE problems for us.

• MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    Westin was definitely a big improvement over the prior year. I didn't hear many stories of people getting bumped from reserved rooms (a big issue last year), and they also had the tables for gaming on the mezzanine. Staff were friendly and professional, even when I was wearing a cape and a pikachu hat, so I can't complain!

I think for a lot of these places, it's a question of them learning over a number of years about what the PAX crowd is like. Last year they weren't great, this year they were a lot more positive. Next year, I'm sure they'll be even better :)

• OccamsRZROccamsRZR BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    Stayed in the Seaport this year. I absolutely loved it. Beds were BEYOND comfortable, close proximity to the BCEC and the staff made everything very enjoyable. I love how we could participate in all of the activities in the Westen pre-pax (ie table top gaming) but we didn't have to pay their ridiculous fees (little extra charges for EVERYTHING). Besides, the bar in the Seaport is cheaper :D

Side note: The seaport had a "Pillow Library." I kept forgetting to ask the staff what that meant and if it was free or they charged for different pillows. I was really interested in it but everytime I remembered it was there I was too drunk to do anything about it. Did anyone try checking a pillow out?

• cmdbashcmdbash Registered User new member
    The Hyatt Regency was very nice, walking distance to just about everything. To bad the club shut down...

• Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    How much was the Westin for 3 nights if you had your own room?

This space for rent
    Josh5890 wrote: »

The PAX rate for the Westin was $179/night + taxes

• CtrlAltDftCtrlAltDft Luis Registered User regular
    Stayed at the Westin waterfront and it was great. I slept on the floor for four nights and it wasn't uncomfortable at all. The PAX East pizza 'deal' was expensive though: it was very small and with two cans of soda costed $33. Being able to buy swag and then bring it back to the hotel was awesome, as was being able to head back to the hotel for a midday rest. The mezzanine tabletop gaming was awesome (Jordan Mechner and Felicia Day were at my table for a while) and was where I spent a lot of the nights. The only complaint I really have is that the doorman was very rude.

• RevGutterRevGutter Registered User regular
    \
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    Ramada on Morrissey here. Probably never go there again. It was nice having a shuttle there every morning, but that's about the extent of the good parts.

My biggest complain is when I came back Saturday night (very late, mind you) our rooms DOOR WAS CRACKED OPEN. We had to run around the room in a panic trying to figure out if anything had been stolen. Luckily everything was there, but when we complained to the front desk the next day, we got the reply "okay..." and nothing was done about it. That's a pretty huge error that could've resulted in HUGE problems for us.

I had the same happen our first night, realized the deadbolt sometimes wasn't sliding in all the way unless you gave the knob a second turn, the door closed just fine after.

• TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    Did any hotels have PAX/gaming-related room keys that you could keep? The Sheraton did ME3 card keys last Prime, but I didn't hear if maybe the Westin or Seaport did something being that close to BCEC.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Westin was nice (no game keys though) but they nickle and dime you pretty good. I think next year I may do Seaport. The biggest appeal of the Westin was the late night gaming, and I can do that with Seaport.

zepherin on
  • Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Josh5890 wrote: »

The PAX rate for the Westin was $179/night + taxes

Thanks. If I do go next year I definately want to stay at the hotel connected to PAX directly. If it costs me $600 for 3 nights I'll make it work lol.

This space for rent
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    how much did the seaport cost per night? curious if there is a significant price difference from westin.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • OccamsRZROccamsRZR BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    how much did the seaport cost per night? curious if there is a significant price difference from westin.

I paid 159/night at the Seaport. Also, wifi was free.

• Riggz13Riggz13 Registered User regular
    Stayed at the Hyatt Harborside. Overall we really liked it.

Pros:
    Base price $140/night for 2 queen beds.
    Free shuttle 24 hours a day to Silver Line at airport or BlueLine T Stop.
    Getting to/from BCEC was easy
    Clean room, very friendly staff, free apples in the lobby
    Despite having a room that faced a runway and was very close, we never heard a single airplane.

Cons:
    No free internet
    Only restaurant at hotel was expensive (not an issue we wanted to try out everything else in Boston)
    Silver Line was crazy crowded Friday and Saturday morning from the airport

I couldn't find a lot of information from people who stayed here and went to BCEC so I was afraid it'd be hard to get there. It really wasn't, and there's a real good chance we'll be back at this hotel.

OccamsRZR wrote: »

thanks. free wifi DOES sound pretty sweet. not sure i can be seduced away from the westin, but it does merit some consideration.

7YIpfE5.png
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

thanks. free wifi DOES sound pretty sweet. not sure i can be seduced away from the westin, but it does merit some consideration.
    Well, the thing is that Seaport is 2 blocks away. Saving $20 a night might be worth it. Also the Seaport is closer to the better restaurants and 7-11.

zepherin wrote: »

Well, the thing is that Seaport is 2 blocks away. Saving $20 a night might be worth it. Also the Seaport is closer to the better restaurants and 7-11.

yeah, the 7-11 is a big selling point too, though it probably makes more sense to walk 2 blocks to 7-11 (from westin) rather than walk 2 blocks to pax (from seaport). oh well, plenty of time to think it over.

7YIpfE5.png
    zepherin wrote: »

yeah, the 7-11 is a big selling point too, though it probably makes more sense to walk 2 blocks to 7-11 (from westin) rather than walk 2 blocks to pax (from seaport). oh well, plenty of time to think it over.

They both have distinct advantages. It's all about putting a value on being connected, then making a decision on the other associated costs from there. For me the connection value is obscenely high, so it outweighs free wifi and a cheaper cost at the seaport. For many though, it's not that big of a gap.

• MalkaraMalkara Tampa, FLRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Stayed in the Seaport this year. I absolutely loved it. Beds were BEYOND comfortable, close proximity to the BCEC and the staff made everything very enjoyable. I love how we could participate in all of the activities in the Westen pre-pax (ie table top gaming) but we didn't have to pay their ridiculous fees (little extra charges for EVERYTHING). Besides, the bar in the Seaport is cheaper :D

Side note: The seaport had a "Pillow Library." I kept forgetting to ask the staff what that meant and if it was free or they charged for different pillows. I was really interested in it but everytime I remembered it was there I was too drunk to do anything about it. Did anyone try checking a pillow out?

There should've been a small little note thing next to your bed, with a list of all their pillows. It's complementary, and you just dial an extension and request the pillow (or mattress) of your choice. They had all kinds.

(And I think I already said it, but the Seaport was -fantastic-)

Malkara on
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    A note on the Westin, I was seeing a lot of people talking about being double-charged. That seems like a big con to me...

godmode wrote: »
    A note on the Westin, I was seeing a lot of people talking about being double-charged. That seems like a big con to me...

yeah, it looks like the gift shop specifically has double charged a number of people. got to remember to have the bf check his statement.

another westin bonus though is that being connected to bcec makes weather irrelevant--which is invaluable in boston in march/april. if it was raining for example, even though it's only 2 blocks from seaport, i'd need some sort of coat/umbrella to get to pax and then would have to pay to check things or have extra stuff to lug around. and our cardboard cosplay would have been a nightmare to transport in rain. staying at the westin, i hung out in the lobby and the bcec (late night) in pajamas and slippers. so that was pretty awesome.

7YIpfE5.png
    godmode wrote: »

yeah, it looks like the gift shop specifically has double charged a number of people. got to remember to have the bf check his statement.

I've heard this as well, specifically about the gift shop. It's funny because I didn't even know they /had/ a gift shop.

This discussion has been closed.