As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Halo Thread || Go to the new Halo 4 Thread, this one is done

• Samir Duran DuranSamir Duran Duran Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Lol, someone just booted me from a Big Team Battle game over an accidental betrayal via vehicle.

Mind you this in in a game where almost half of our team was missing from the onset. Idiot.

Did you run him over with the Wraith? Cause that thing cannot stop once you hit boost and I've run over plenty oblivious teammates that way.

Also why did everyone stop playing this game?

Also Also nerf the sniper rifle.

Samir Duran Duran on
    Ani121OD.pngSpr_3e_121.gifAni121OD.png
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Lol, someone just booted me from a Big Team Battle game over an accidental betrayal via vehicle.

Mind you this in in a game where almost half of our team was missing from the onset. Idiot.

Did you run him over with the Wraith? Cause that thing cannot stop once you hit boost and I've run over plenty oblivious teammates that way.

Also why did everyone stop playing this game?

Also Also nerf the sniper rifle.

No, it was a warthog, actually. I was trying to wipe out a group of people via splatternation and couldn't stop in time.

On that note, Sniper rifles bother me in every first-person shooter, and no amount of nerfing outside of removing them completely would satisfy me, lol.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Read... well skimmed the GI story on Halo 4 yesterday. The screens look amazing, MP sounds neat too. I rolled my eyes at the Halo 4 announcement, but now I'm kinda stoked for it.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Read... well skimmed the GI story on Halo 4 yesterday. The screens look amazing, MP sounds neat too. I rolled my eyes at the Halo 4 announcement, but now I'm kinda stoked for it.

I think I'll give it a redbox rent. As someone that plays the Halo games for the campaign, not the multiplayer, I'll likely rent it for a day or two to get the release hype out of my system, but wait and purchase it when it hits the $20/$30 range.

I really need to finish up those novels sitting on my shelf.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I actually thought Halo was stupid until I read the first book. Turned me into a fan, Contact Harvest, and Ghosts of Onyx are my favorites.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Eh, as much as Id like to think otherwise, halo 4 will lkely be a midnight purchase for me. But I just love getting hyped for and executing a midnight buy with buddies. The last time I pulled it off was skyrim. Its rough playing all night and going to work at 6am but it feels like a special occasion.

Also, despite playing halo since CE and being decently skilled at it (not so much with reach) I just now bothered to learn the way weapon spawns work. Man, that knowledge would have made me a way better player. "Oh i picked up rockets at 11:49, they will be back at 8:49, so everyone remember that." Instead of my current "hey i havent seen rockets in a while, i bet they are back. I'll check."

"Oh i grabbed their sniper. Now they can't remotely get another. We win."

My buddy used to know all this stuff in 2 and 3, and I think thats why I was better at those. Hed tell me when shit was respawning and wed go get it. I never bothered to learn the simple formula for when until my lunch break today :)

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
    edited April 2012
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I actually thought Halo was stupid until I read the first book. Turned me into a fan, Contact Harvest, and Ghosts of Onyx are my favorites.

I've only read the initial three (that comes in the 3-pack) and I bought a fourth but never got around to reading it.

As stupid as it sounds, reading the books got me into playing the games, when it's usually the other way around.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • rorrrorr Registered User regular
    There's actually another layer of complexity, specifically, that the player could dictate the respawn time. All you do is grab the power weapon mid-drop or within a 2 second window and you're still moving--stop moving for 2 seconds and the timer starts

Disrupter wrote: »
    "Oh i grabbed their sniper. Now they can't remotely get another. We win."

Even though I'm terrible at using it, and often don't even use it when I'm holding it, I often grab the sword when it's dropped, just so the opposing team can't have it.

FU7kFbw.png
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Eh, as much as Id like to think otherwise, halo 4 will lkely be a midnight purchase for me. But I just love getting hyped for and executing a midnight buy with buddies. The last time I pulled it off was skyrim. Its rough playing all night and going to work at 6am but it feels like a special occasion.

I don't think I'll ever do a midnight purchase for a game, but it's hard to see myself not buying this one. Even if some things sound kind of meh. Haven't played Reach in a very, very long time so idk how good/bad the changes 343 put in actually were (didn't like them on paper), but yeah. I bought my xbox for Halo and my xbox 360 for Halo... really hard to see myself not buying halo 4.

Even if 343 did it and my impression of what they've done is generally negative. Will probably pop it in at some point just to see the changes.

Also I read there's an achievement that requires you to assassinate somebody while they're using a jetpack? Who thought that was a good idea/an achievement that people would render moot by boosting?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    Yeah, i just like the feeling of everything being fresh and unknown. Its why I only play MMOs for like a week when they come out.

I like to explore and discover things for myself. For example in Halo 2 I discovered being able to bounce the flag on the treadmills on the first day. For a couple days me and my buddies were just whomping people in CTF on that one map because wed launch the flag to the other side instantly.

Also, I'm pretty sure I invented the noob combo. Not that someone, somewhere didn't come up with it first or at the same time. But I had played halo 1 legendary in preperation for halo 2, and I was rocking that combo in single player, so instantly tried it in multi (first with dual wielding pistol/plasma which didnt work that well) and it was amazing.

So yeah...you can thank me for ruining halo 2 :)

But aside from potentially discovering gamebreaking tactics, its just fun to experience everything when its new and shiny. When nobody has even seen a rank 20 before, or in COD being one of the first to unlock something. Maybe as a 27 year old father, its just a small night of feeling like a kid excited about christmas or something, again. Capturing my youth via staying up too late playing a new game.

616610-1.png
  • TejsTejs Registered User regular
    Did they say Forge is still in the game?

Because if I read things right, those Spartan weekly missions could easily be forge style objective maps or something (with some modifications), and then 343 could crowdsource future missions.

edited April 2012
    So one of the DLC maps popped up last night during Squad play...holy crap they're so much more gorgeous than the stock maps.

I don't know the name of the one I was playing, but it took place in some sort of spacecraft, and one of the rooms had a massive window that showed a planet and other ships in the area in it's orbit. So cool.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular
    I was thinking of getting back into Reach, do I need to buy the anniversary maps to be able to use most of the playlists? the op of this thread is pretty damn funny by the way

Ive been playing reach without any DLC and it seems fine. Havent done arena or mlg because i have a guest with me a lot of times. But i think most playlists are designed to not worry about DLC. Thats probably a part of the reason it does a crap job getting players of similar skill.

616610-1.png
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So one of the DLC maps popped up last night during Squad play...holy crap they're so much more gorgeous than the stock maps.

I don't know the name of the one I was playing, but it took place in some sort of spacecraft, and one of the rooms had a massive window that showed a planet and other ships in the area in it's orbit. So cool.

There's actually 2 maps like that. One's Anchor Nine (the orbital base you use during the space mission) and there's Condemned, another defense station that you fight on. And yeah, they are ALL gorgeous. The Highlands map and Unearthed firefight are my favorites. Highlands has a cruiser in the skybox glassing the planet as you fight.

EDIT: Oh wow, in looking up the correct names of the maps I stumbled onto the radio conversations that each map (campaign, multi, firefight) can play. There's a LOT of backstory in there.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited April 2012
    Nocren wrote: »

There's actually 2 maps like that. One's Anchor Nine (the orbital base you use during the space mission) and there's Condemned, another defense station that you fight on. And yeah, they are ALL gorgeous. The Highlands map and Unearthed firefight are my favorites. Highlands has a cruiser in the skybox glassing the planet as you fight.

EDIT: Oh wow, in looking up the correct names of the maps I stumbled onto the radio conversations that each map (campaign, multi, firefight) can play. There's a LOT of backstory in there.

Whichever one has the zero gravity room.

Edit: I played Highlands too, but the map was too damn big for the eight people that were playing in it.

It looks like it'd be great for some Big Team Battle though.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    Tejs wrote: »
    Did they say Forge is still in the game?

Because if I read things right, those Spartan weekly missions could easily be forge style objective maps or something (with some modifications), and then 343 could crowdsource future missions.

I don't think forge has been confirmed but I'm a bit wary of the Spartan missions for that reason

because honestly they sound amazing otherwise, 5 coop missions as well as a proper cutscene every week? And its all free?

I can easily see them just being slight variations on existing missions or maps

edited April 2012
    Something... something tells me that the Spartan Ops missions are gonna be locked behind a Pass of some sort.

Like, they can't do that with the regular multiplayer now in the 5th/6th iteration of the franchise (not sure if I'd count ODST or not since it was just H3 with all the maps), but a co-op series of missions? That could be free money to them.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    I really wish I had chaps willing to run through co-op with me, if anything for the achievement.

Still don't know how I managed to have the timing to join in on that group for the last mission of ODST on Live Legendary.

FU7kFbw.png
  • jkruse05jkruse05 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    There is a new ViDoc out about the music in Halo 4, I'm sure many of you have seen it, but I'll drop it here. Composing Worlds
    Seems to be coming together alright, can hear hints of the old within the new.

jkruse05 on
  • jimbo034jimbo034 Registered User regular
    Has there been any news on Bungie's next project lately?

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Edit: lag caused double post, sorry...

JusticeforPluto on
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I really wish I had chaps willing to run through co-op with me, if anything for the achievement.

Still don't know how I managed to have the timing to join in on that group for the last mission of ODST on Live Legendary.

Make sure you get the Rocket Launchers with 100+ ammo!

• jerichotwofourjerichotwofour The artist formally known as S043. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    God damn, that new music through my Turtle Beaches sounds amazing.

EDIT: I will be very upset if they don't show me that opening at E3. I need to hear Steve Downes grumble out "Ready to get back to work?" and I need to hear Jen Taylor respond "I thought you'd never ask."

jerichotwofour on
    PSN: ZeroFourThree (PS3, PS4) | XBL: JerichoTwoFour (360, XB1)
    ugh Asylum is such an awful map

I don't think I've had a single fun game on it

actually it is fun with that oddball variant where everyone has grenade launchers

but I enjoy that on any map

• WillethWilleth Registered User regular

Co-op for which game?

@vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    Willeth wrote: »

Co-op for which game?

All of them, really. I don't think I've finished any game in the series on co-op.

ODST in particular is a thorn in my side. I actually brought a TV and my 360 over to a relative's place and we played it for like 10 hours straight trying to get through co-op, but I made the mistake of not eating in that period and I got a massive headache and had to bail when we had like two missions left to go.

So ODST I'm the closest to finishing up, if anyone wants to take a hour or two with me to work on that.

FU7kFbw.png
    edited April 2012
    I didnt really enjoy halo in coop. Infact, I played 3 coop and it sort of ruined it for me. 1,2 and Reach were pretty awesome single player experiences. But my buddies wanted to play through 3 together at release, and it just sort of was blah. Coop FPS need legit consequences for player death, Halo doesn't have that. Otherwise your just throwing bodies at the problem without any need to properly shoot faces.

Like, I still have memories of meeting up with marines and defending that installation near the start of Halo 1.

I have almost zero memories of 3 due to rushing through coop with friends. Even on legendary, coop makes it painfully easy.

Sad part is, I never played ODST much. I bought it, played a bit, but never finished it. That was dumb of me. Since I hear its the best of the bunch.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
    I didnt really enjoy halo in coop. Infact, I played 3 coop and it sort of ruined it for me. 1,2 and Reach were pretty awesome single player experiences. But my buddies wanted to play through 3 together at release, and it just sort of was blah. Coop FPS need legit consequences for player death, Halo doesn't have that. Otherwise your just throwing bodies at the problem without any need to properly shoot faces.

Like, I still have memories of meeting up with marines and defending that installation near the start of Halo 1.

I have almost zero memories of 3 due to rushing through coop with friends. Even on legendary, coop makes it painfully easy.

Sad part is, I never played ODST much. I bought it, played a bit, but never finished it. That was dumb of me. Since I hear its the best of the bunch.

I realize you just spelled out an entire post as to why you dislike Co-Op, but if you wanna run through ODST from the start co-op I'm up for that.

FU7kFbw.png

Just stick on the iron skull when you want a challenge in coop, makes it so if just one person dies everyone goes back to the last checkpoint

becomes a lot more challenging then and personally I find the added teamwork makes it quite a bit more memorable

Willeth wrote: »

Co-op for which game?

All of them, really. I don't think I've finished any game in the series on co-op.

ODST in particular is a thorn in my side. I actually brought a TV and my 360 over to a relative's place and we played it for like 10 hours straight trying to get through co-op, but I made the mistake of not eating in that period and I got a massive headache and had to bail when we had like two missions left to go.

So ODST I'm the closest to finishing up, if anyone wants to take a hour or two with me to work on that.

I was about to say "sure! let's do this right now and get it done." But then I remembered that the only discs I have currently are Reach and Anny.
    ODST and 3 are at my brother's place.

newSig.jpg

I realize you just spelled out an entire post as to why you dislike Co-Op, but if you wanna run through ODST from the start co-op I'm up for that.

I dont think I own ODST anymore :(

I didnt own reach either, but a friend of mine somehow had access to codes for xbox marketplace (I dont know how, I didnt ask how) and thats how I got reach back!

616610-1.png
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2012
    Oh hey, this weekend's Super Jackpot is 34,300 credits in Anniversary FFA. That actually sounds pretty fun. If anyone wants to join me in say.. 20 minutes, I could go for some FFA Halo.

gamertag: FyreWulff

I won't be talking much, throat's screwed up

FyreWulff on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Oh hey, this weekend's Super Jackpot is 34,300 credits in Anniversary FFA. That actually sounds pretty fun. If anyone wants to join me in say.. 20 minutes, I could go for some FFA Halo.

gamertag: FyreWulff

I won't be talking much, throat's screwed up

I'll be jumping on in a bit.

FU7kFbw.png
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Good games. Turns out that not playing for almost a month does in fact rust you up a bit.

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I just could not get into ODST. At all. I don't know why, but thus far it's the weakest Halo game I've ever played. I'm curious, though, will my multiplayer character from Reach carry over into 4's multiplayer, or is Multi getting as dramatically revamped as the Single Player?

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I just could not get into ODST. At all. I don't know why, but thus far it's the weakest Halo game I've ever played. I'm curious, though, will my multiplayer character from Reach carry over into 4's multiplayer, or is Multi getting as dramatically revamped as the Single Player?

That's a real shame. ODST is by far my favorite campaign out of the lot; Reach goes for a similar brothers-in-arms thing, but I felt it was generally much more compelling and much less forced in ODST. The way you search the burnt-out, darkened city looking for your squad while getting to play their experiences really makes it awesome at the end when the whole team gets back together.

FyreWulff wrote: »
    Good games. Turns out that not playing for almost a month does in fact rust you up a bit.

If that was you playing rusty I don't wanna be around for you playing well.

FU7kFbw.png