As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bitching Thread VI] A Brand New Day (for bitching)

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I feel like the colors are representative of the contemporary styles. In the 90s, vibrant - even garish - colors and color schemes were pretty common. Flex Mentallo 1996's Mentallium Man is a psychedelic rainbow. These days, color are more subdued, so Flex Mentallo 2012's Mentallium Man is a sad grey.

I'll admit that for a traditional character, Mentallium Man 2012 looks pretty good. I'd probably even prefer him to the 1996 version! But! That's not the point of the character. He's supposed to be this Technicolor disaster.

@CorporateLogo: Like I said, I'm pretty sure that this is the only version of Flex Mentallo we'll ever be able to easily get. The alternative is eBay and torrents, really. If you wanted to read it without spending a lot of money or doing illegal things, I'm pretty sure this hardcover (or the eventual softcover) is the only way.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Have you guys heard about the re-coloring stuff in the collected Flex Mentallo? Here's a good article on it:
    http://mindlessones.com/2012/04/10/whatever-happened-to-the-mentallium-man-of-tomorrow/

I fully intended to buy Flex Mentallo. I've read it before, it was a difficult read with a lot of big ideas, and I was looking forward to re-reading it and perhaps taking my time with it. Now, I'm a little on the fence. As I understand it, both Morrison and Quitely approved of the new colors. To be honest, in that very first set of comparison scans provided in the Mindless Ones article, I actually kind of like the paler, flatter Flex in the new edition more than the oranger, shaded Flex from the original comic. Not so crazy about everything else, though. The colors in the original look so rich and vibrant compared to the new colors.

I'm a lot more concerned about the whitewashed characters, actually (even though I'm 100% sure it wasn't an intentional thing).

The reality is that this is almost certainly the only way we're going to get a new printing of Flex Mentallo. If I want to own the book, if I want to re-read the story, I'm going to have to deal with the re-coloring. So, ultimately, I'm probably going to buy it. But, I'm still annoyed that this is even a thing.

Interesting. I don't know which I'd prefer, but, I would imagine people would want things the way they remembered it. It probably would've been better to retain the original colour palette and maybe tastefully modify it somewhat with the careful use of subtle gradients and lighting that is now possible with digital art.

Kind of reminds me of the new version of the Killing Joke that came out a while back. Everyone remembers the strong colours, but apparently it wasn't what was 'intended' at the time (sound familiar?). So a new version was done up, which has an entirely different palette. I've got to admit it's a powerful revision, but maybe not the one it really needed. I kind of prefer the more, for lack of a better word, psychedelic affectations of the original.

http://pencilpanelpage.wordpress.com/2012/01/19/when-are-two-comics-the-same-comic-part-ii/

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    This has been slowly making the rounds, but someone wrote an open letter about Johns killing off an Iranian character after a few pages in Aquaman #7. It just seems to miss the point of the issue, which was that the character's death will spring into a flashback and bring in more new characters to the fold, or they'll all be death fodder, which is a different discussion about modern comics. This argument just feels really forced and more about getting attention than say the way there was reaction to Catwoman #1 and Red Hood #1.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    When Zack [Snyder] and I were talking about it the first time, he was saying how Superman, they want to give it a more edgy feel like The Dark Knight but also make it more realistic and emotional so it's not just the all-american superhero that saves everyone. He has dilemmas and love and struggles throughout the whole movie, especially when he's a kid.

The Dark Knight is the worst thing to happen to comic book movies.

If any superhero should be the opposite of the TDK it's Superman.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Shit after Returns I'm willing to give any kind of new Superman theme a try. At least it's something new.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Kyougu wrote: »
    When Zack [Snyder] and I were talking about it the first time, he was saying how Superman, they want to give it a more edgy feel like The Dark Knight but also make it more realistic and emotional so it's not just the all-american superhero that saves everyone. He has dilemmas and love and struggles throughout the whole movie, especially when he's a kid.

People keep saying this but a lot of the times when people got a Superman in the comics that stayed true to what Superman was suppose to be you know how most people responded?

With a yawn.

The sad fact is if you tried to put out a Superman movie as you say most people would be indifferent to it, the movie would get the same reaction as Superman Returns did.

Cade on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Cade wrote: »
    People keep saying this but a lot of the times when people got a Superman in the comics that stayed true to what Superman was suppose to be you know how most people responded?

With a yawn.

The sad fact is if you tried to put out a Superman movie as you say most people would be indifferent to it, the movie would get the same reaction as Superman Returns did.

All-Star Superman? Superman For All Seasons? Superman: The Man of Steel? Superman: What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way?

I'd say that all the stories that paint Superman as the classic boyscout, are the ones that are most enduring, and continue to receive praise, long after crummy comics, depicting Superman as some grim, angst-ridden hero, have come and gone.

I mean, Superman Returns was a shitty movie, but not because Superman was a nice dude.

It was a combination of Lex Luthor's incredibly stupid plan, the creepy Superstalker vibe that comes with floating outside a house and looking at people with x-ray vision, that dumb Superkid, and the general dearth of action, or emphasis on Superman.

I mean, who didn't love that plane scene? The one where, for the first and last time in the movie, Superman acts like the Superman everyone loves?

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular

But TDK is probably my favourite comic-book movie...

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Well it's not like Superman Returns tried to have Superman be truly Superman-ish past the scene with the plane.

But I find it hard to believe a live-action version of All-Star Superman or some other story where Superman is, well, Superman wouldn't be well-received.

EDIT: Damn it. I should have just posted that earlier before Munch once again made me look like an idiot.

Arivia wrote: »

It is probably the best superhero movie ever (There are better comic book/GN movies), but all of the thematic and tonal elements in it are the exact thing a Superman movie should never have.

Of course, a Superman movie should still have just as much if not more attention to quality storytelling and attention to the art of cinema as TDK. But, Hell, that should apply to EVERY MOVIE.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    I kind of keep forgetting a Superman movie is being made.

I almost associate it with the Space Program. It's always going on, but I can never tell what progress is happening anymore.

• Options
    Yep, Munch put it better than I could have. Returns sucked for completely different reasons than painting Supes as a boyscout.

• Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular

Christian Bayle is cool and all, but I really prefer the old school Batman, like Val Kilmer as Batman and Jim Carrey as the Riddler

• Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I don't actually remember Returns being all that bad, but I was pretty focused on Lex. I loves me some Lex.

Of course, I last watched it before I actually started reading Superman comics. Next time I see it should be an interesting experiment.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

TDK can't be blamed for executives being stupid. You'd also have to blame IM for GL's suck.
    SightTDW wrote: »
    I don't actually remember Returns being all that bad, but I was pretty focused on Lex. I loves me some Lex.

Of course, I last watched it before I actually started reading Superman comics. Next time I see it should be an interesting experiment.

Fuck that lex. I wanted Millionaire supervillain with class.

Lex hasn't been that thing for decades.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Iron Man is the best superhero movie ever, I think

either Iron Man or X-Men 2

• Options
    Man, I know it's really good and all but I have trouble saying good things about a movie that sidelines most of what should be its main characters for most of the movie.

Or asks me to believe that if a mutant very nearly, and publicly, killed all of humanity a nice talking to from another mutant could convince the president into not taking any action against mutants.

I mean come on.

I really did love Pyro in that movie though and was really sad when they completely ignored his conflicion in 3 and just had him be a loyal and stupid minion.

Also

"You are a God among insects don't let them tell you otherwise" is a damn fine line.

I should really watch X-men 2 again though.

Having watched 1 recently I can say with all honesty its about as bad as 3.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    I don't really remember X-Men 2. It was the Weapon X filler between the Rogue-based first installment and Pretty Pretty Corset Time 3 for me.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    The original x-men movies are more Wolverine movies staring the X-Men than X-Men movies I would argue.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    The New52 Deathstroke book has gotten surprisingly good, and had an awesome issue this week, so I'm pretty pissed about Liefeld taking over. The only reason I can think of for it is DC trying to boost the low sales numbers, but I find it hard to believe that Liefeld's name being attached to anything can deliver extra sales anymore.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I remember reading something a bit back where Liefield tweeted that the books he's working on need help from the fans because sales have fallen off a cliff (I think those were his exact words). But I think that ties in specifically to Liefield taking over, since shops have known about this change for the past 4 months.

• Options
    As flawed as it is, I think Spider-Man 2 is the closest we'll get to a great Spidey movie. I have little confidence in Amazing so far.

• Options
    The original x-men movies

What is this now?

Because there sure as hell aren't any new X-Men movies being made. Unless this tepid First Class Pary of Five in the Sixties crap magically changes from 'prequel' to 'reboot' over the course of -ugh- a trilogy that ends in modern day with totally different everything.

Granted, that just might be worth it if we can have an X-Men movie set in the ugly 80's.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    I guess "first" might have been more accurate for me to say, sorry.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    As flawed as it is, I think Spider-Man 2 is the closest we'll get to a great Spidey movie. I have little confidence in Amazing so far.

Spider-man 2 was OK. I don't understand how the leads can be so terribly miscast and then the supporting actors cast so well. Macguire and Dunst were awful, Doc Ock was OK I guess, Aunt May was great, Jameson was the best part about the movies. What's his name hit that role right out of the park.

• Options
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    to be fair he's the best at every movie

• Options
    LolkenLolken Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

I'd say TDK is a wonderful movie, but as a comic-book, superhero movie, it kind of falters. Mainly because of Batman.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Lolken wrote: »

I'd say TDK is a wonderful movie, but as a comic-book, superhero movie, it kind of falters. Mainly because of Batman's horrible voice.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2012

Spider-man 2 was OK. I don't understand how the leads can be so terribly miscast and then the supporting actors cast so well. Macguire and Dunst were awful, Doc Ock was OK I guess, Aunt May was great, Jameson was the best part about the movies. What's his name hit that role right out of the park.

Amazing is looking great.

wirehead26 wrote: »
    Lolken wrote: »

I'd say TDK is a wonderful movie, but as a comic-book, superhero movie, it kind of falters. Mainly because of Batman's horrible voice.

Nah.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    The thing about Amazing is that it sort of feels weird that they're starting with an origin story again. I like a lot of the actors and what I'm seeing from the movie, but at the same time, unless I hear that they deal with the whole 'gets bitten, uncle dies, learns great responsibility motto' within the first ten minutes of the movie, I'm just not sure if I have any interest in it.

• Options
    Marvel's pretty shrewd to be doing the expanded universe stuff. Other companies like Sony and Fox might currently own the rights to make movies out of some of their biggest properties, but Marvel Studios is probably the only one that has the organizational commitment to the properties to be able to have different titles intentionally play off eachother and converge. Marvel is able to emphasize and distinguish their movies from other superhero movies by being able to do this.

Sony might only be able to do origin stuff with Spidey. What else can they do? It would seem the only other major character they have to play with is Ghostrider. I suppose Sony could decide it's really time for a big-screen adaptation of Spider-Man dealing with Kraven the Hunter, or Mysterio, but, they can only do villain of the month club stuff. Granted, comics themselves have a pretty storied history of 'Villain-of-the-Month Club' plotlines, but Sony has nothing to build onto Spider-Man. They can only do variations of what they have for that one character.
    Interesting thought: Could Sony create their own superhero character and have that character in a team-up movie with Spider-Man? I honestly don't know if the rights let them do that or not.

Fox has the best shot at doing their own expanded universe since the Fantastic Four have a pretty huge, cosmic playground of ideas that go with them, and X-Men is like 50 years of a mixture of Johnny Quest and The Dating Game, so they both have lots of characters and lots and lots of plot devices and storylines to unleash, on a scale Spider-Man can't really do on his own.

Now, whether Fox can commit to a major undertaking like building a stable cast of returning actors and directors who can assemble a larger coherent plot for multiple movies...well, they may or may not want to even try doing that.

• Options
    noir_blood wrote: »
    unless I hear that they deal with the whole 'gets bitten, uncle dies, learns great responsibility motto' within the first ten minutes of the movie, I'm just not sure if I have any interest in it.
    Everything I've read about it says that it is not that succinct. Not even close.

• Options
    Yesterday I met a friend of a friend

an American girl

and we were all out at the pub and the conversation turned to films and she said that X-3 was awful and they butchered the cool set-up of X-Men 2 which is the best comic book movie alongside Iron Man.

and I was like yeah

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    and now you're dating, right

• Options
    She's recently single and the friend who she is a friend of said "you should definitely ask her out but give it some time because even though it was definitely coming it's still obviously kind of a big deal."

So I am going to do that

we got on really well though and she said that I should come out with them next week which was nice

I will not lie part of the reason that I posted about it was because I am kind of excited about it!

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Good luck!

...oh, uh, biching thread. Um...even with my tax return I still don't have steady work so I can't buy all the comics that interest me, especially with the price raise on some of them.

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    She's recently single and the friend who she is a friend of said "you should definitely ask her out but give it some time because even though it was definitely coming it's still obviously kind of a big deal."

So I am going to do that

we got on really well though and she said that I should come out with them next week which was nice

I will not lie part of the reason that I posted about it was because I am kind of excited about it!

And that was how Solar came to battle The League of Evil Exes.

• Options
    Probably should check my e-mail huh

• Options
    I'd start doing push-ups, at the bare minimum.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Marvel's pretty shrewd to be doing the expanded universe stuff. Other companies like Sony and Fox might currently own the rights to make movies out of some of their biggest properties, but Marvel Studios is probably the only one that has the organizational commitment to the properties to be able to have different titles intentionally play off eachother and converge. Marvel is able to emphasize and distinguish their movies from other superhero movies by being able to do this.

Sony might only be able to do origin stuff with Spidey. What else can they do? It would seem the only other major character they have to play with is Ghostrider. I suppose Sony could decide it's really time for a big-screen adaptation of Spider-Man dealing with Kraven the Hunter, or Mysterio, but, they can only do villain of the month club stuff. Granted, comics themselves have a pretty storied history of 'Villain-of-the-Month Club' plotlines, but Sony has nothing to build onto Spider-Man. They can only do variations of what they have for that one character.
    Interesting thought: Could Sony create their own superhero character and have that character in a team-up movie with Spider-Man? I honestly don't know if the rights let them do that or not.

They can try. But you're right they're still thinking to much inside the box by sticking to redoing the origins. Spider-man has one of the best rogues gallery in super-hero comics, they should use it to its full potential. That said, the new series has a director implying to go in a different direction with the franchise from Riami's version by
    slightly altering his origin and expanding his parents roles which was ignored previously.
    Fox has the best shot at doing their own expanded universe since the Fantastic Four have a pretty huge, cosmic playground of ideas that go with them, and X-Men is like 50 years of a mixture of Johnny Quest and The Dating Game, so they both have lots of characters and lots and lots of plot devices and storylines to unleash, on a scale Spider-Man can't really do on his own.

Now, whether Fox can commit to a major undertaking like building a stable cast of returning actors and directors who can assemble a larger coherent plot for multiple movies...well, they may or may not want to even try doing that.

Agreed.

Harry Dresden on
This discussion has been closed.