As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Flappy Paddle is the one true shifter. [Car] Thread.

• CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    I was more blown away by this story.

Jesus.

I saw that and immediately stopped reading at "a show on TLC."

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • SliderSlider Registered User regular
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    So I have installed aftermarket exhaust, intake, blow off valve, and relfashed my Genesis Turbo.

Everything is loud.

Exhaust= Loud
    Intake= Loud
    Turbo= Loud
    Blow off valve= Loud

And I am loving every minute of it! :D

I was just reading that the new Genesis achieves almost 350 HP!

That is a HUGE jump from older models.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Slider wrote: »
    So I have installed aftermarket exhaust, intake, blow off valve, and relfashed my Genesis Turbo.

Everything is loud.

Exhaust= Loud
    Intake= Loud
    Turbo= Loud
    Blow off valve= Loud

And I am loving every minute of it! :D

I was just reading that the new Genesis achieves almost 350 HP!

That is a HUGE jump from older models.

Maybe they'll even upgrade the brakes from two tiny drums in the back to some decent ones with actual stopping power. I've been in two ton+ SUVs that stop better.

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular

Maybe they'll even upgrade the brakes from two tiny drums in the back to some decent ones with actual stopping power. I've been in two ton+ SUVs that stop better.

What?

There are no drums on the rear of a Genesis Coupe. They are 4 wheel disc...

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    My only problem with the Genesis Coupe is that it felt heavy, but that could be because Im used to driving an empty 4 door Civic and I was driving a full Genesis Coupe.

• CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    Slider wrote: »
    Beltaine wrote: »
    [snip]*cab-forward-awesome*[snip]

WANT!

Unfortunately they aren't even going to try and get this beautiful thing NHSTA approved. Which is understandable. Getting into a front end accident with your feet hanging out over the front end of the vehicle seemss like a terrible idea to me.

Not to mention the poor shmuck in the econobox you ran completely over.

I live in redneck central and it's damn scary to drive alongside one of these big jacked up 4x4's and look over and see nothing but tire, knowing that if I were to get into an accident with one of those things, I'd probably be dead.

That reminds me.

I saw one of these huge monstrosities in Scottsdale, Arizona. The van in front of it looks tiny in comparison.

0124121251-00.jpg

Clearly this man has a gigantic penis, as evidenced by his gigantic truck.

• Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Car thread- I have a 1998 Saturn SL2 coupe. It was pretty cheap and it's been well-maintained. However the belt is squeaking every time I start the car up. It varies with acceleration, and usually goes away once I hit 25 mph or so. It has a single belt and I've been spraying some belt lubricant/dressing on it but so far it keeps reoccurring.

What do I do to stop my belt from squeaking?

• CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    You probably just need a new belt. Don't squirt lubricant on it. Squeaking is the hallmark of a belt that needs replaced - especially if you have a serpentine.
    It also could be your belt is wet... sometimes wet belts will squeal for a bit until they get dry.

Replacing a belt is REALLY easy. Ask the parts dealer how to do it. Some garages can charge upwards of $150 when it's like a 10 minute job. Just look for the belt pattern that is usually printed on the radiator or under the hood.

Cogliostro on
  • Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    It's definitely not wet- we haven't had a good rain in months. I'll look into replacing it. Thanks!

What?

Last I drove one, the brakes felt tiny and underpowered. I just assumed they were drums, because it couldn't stop for shit. My comment was also really facetious because I know it has discs on all wheels. :P

• BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    It's definitely not wet- we haven't had a good rain in months. I'll look into replacing it. Thanks!

If a replacement has the same problems, you may need to replace the tensioner.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433

What?

Last I drove one, the brakes felt tiny and underpowered. I just assumed they were drums, because it couldn't stop for shit. My comment was also really facetious because I know it has discs on all wheels. :P

Speaking of brake feel. When I drive my mother-in-law's Altima, I just about give everyone whiplash because the brakes are so damn sensitive. Just the slightest nudge makes the car lurch all over.

When I drive a full-size Ford van for work, and a New Beetle with dustless pads and slotted rotors, I'm used to having to really work the pedal.

If I were looking to buy a car, and the brakes were that crazy sensitive during the test drive, it'd be a deal breaker.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    Beltaine wrote: »

If a replacement has the same problems, you may need to replace the tensioner.

And the idler pulleys. My buddies 2001 (ish, not sure on the year) Explorer was making a terrible whining noise. Replaced the tensioner and the two idler pulleys and all is well. The top idler pulley looked fine, but the bottom one was just ruined, and it just felt awful to turn it on its bearing. More or less the same story with the tensioner pulley.

• The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    So the NHTSA looking at requring brake override systems that cut the throttle when the brake and throttle are pressed at the same time. I think this is a good idea. Seems like a no-brainer that will keep the average joe safer. Jalopnik has a good bit about how it should have a way to disable it. Of course, all the hoons and whatnot over there are complaining about not being able to heel-toe on their commute every day.

• CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    That seems like a great feature. I could definitely see sports cars having a way to disable it just like you can disable traction control.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    So the NHTSA looking at requring brake override systems that cut the throttle when the brake and throttle are pressed at the same time. I think this is a good idea. Seems like a no-brainer that will keep the average joe safer. Jalopnik has a good bit about how it should have a way to disable it. Of course, all the hoons and whatnot over there are complaining about not being able to heel-toe on their commute every day.

I guess my question with this is...Is this actually a problem. Are there actually a rash of accidents cause by people hitting both pedals at once?

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
    It's mildly inconvenient as the pressure in the brake system builds up with the hydraulic pressure when the gas is pressed, or something, I guess.

edited April 2012
    Holy double post Batman!

L Ron Howard on
    edited April 2012
    Triple post!!

L Ron Howard on
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular

I guess my question with this is...Is this actually a problem. Are there actually a rash of accidents cause by people hitting both pedals at once?

I would think a bigger problem is people accidentally hitting the gas instead of the brakes.

• The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    I

Apparently there have been a rash of accidents involving stuck accelerator pedals or accidentally stepping on both at once lately.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    I

Apparently there have been a rash of accidents involving stuck accelerator pedals or accidentally stepping on both at once lately.

Yeah, it's more for the times when the accelerator gets stuck, caught under the floor mat or something. So when you stand on the brake the car will stop, instead of just burning up your brakes.

nibXTE7.png
    I

Yeah, it's more for the times when the accelerator gets stuck, caught under the floor mat or something. So when you stand on the brake the car will stop, instead of just burning up your brakes.

Does that honestly actually happen? I'm serious. I have never had that happen, and I do not know anyone who has.

• saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    Were you living under a rock for the whole Toyota unintended acceleration hysteria?

XBL: heavenkils
    I thought that was because people were retarded.

I certainly wouldn't dispute that statement.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Arent your breaks more powerful than your engine anyway? I remember BMW making some really stupid commercial where they said they basically have 1200hp brakes.

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Arent your breaks more powerful than your engine anyway? I remember BMW making some really stupid commercial where they said they basically have 1200hp brakes.

Brakes on most cars are vacuum assisted. When an engine is at full throttle, there is very little vacuum in reserve, and that gets depleted instantly when you mash on the brakes. The pedal basically goes dead.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    Applied from a stop and then mashing on the accelerator, your brakes would probably hold for quite a bit.

Applied at speed under full throttle, they probably will slow you at first, but they'll overheat pretty quickly and lose friction and/or your ABS will kick in to prevent lockup and you lose braking power still.

Of course, it's super easy to just clutch a manual transmission, or pop an automatic into neutral to disconnect the engine.

Clutch/Neutral in the event of unintended acceleration really should be stressed on driving exams. All of the silliness of people accelerating for miles down a freeway out of control shouldn't happen whatsoever.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    When I was in driver's ed last, many years ago, we were taught to put the car in neutral if your accelerator gets stuck. And that was many stupid years ago. I'd like to believe that they're still doing it.

• acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    yeah that's not at all necessary, proper education on how to operate your 3000lb heavy-machine deathmissile is what should be the solution to this problem.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    yeah that's not at all necessary, proper education on how to operate your 3000lb heavy-machine deathmissile is what should be the solution to this problem.

Better driver training would be great. But even well trained drivers panic sometimes. This would be handy in those situations. And on any car where you'd want to race the damn thing, disabling it would be easy since this is likely to just be a software implementation.

• fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular

Brakes on most cars are vacuum assisted. When an engine is at full throttle, there is very little vacuum in reserve, and that gets depleted instantly when you mash on the brakes. The pedal basically goes dead.

Most cars have a vacuum reservoir with a valve that ensures you still have vacuum to run accessories even when you've got the engine at full throttle. It should be enough to fully engage the brakes once, but if you want to pump them you'll probably find yourself in manual mode pretty quickly.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

If you're going to race a car, you're probably going to be flashing the ECM on it anyway, it should be fairly easy to disable regardless.

• acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Better driver training would be great. But even well trained drivers panic sometimes. This would be handy in those situations. And on any car where you'd want to race the damn thing, disabling it would be easy since this is likely to just be a software implementation.

I just hate having to void all my warranties on everything ever to get my devices to operate normally because (seemingly) everyone around me is too stupid to continue to exist.

edit: I'm not disputing the proposed on/off toggle, just disputing the whole concept of fixing "problems" that wouldn't even be problems if we had the pretty basic expectation that operators of devices know how to operate those devices before attempting to operate them.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »

I just hate having to void all my warranties on everything ever to get my devices to operate normally because (seemingly) everyone around me is too stupid to continue to exist.

edit: I'm not disputing the proposed on/off toggle, just disputing the whole concept of fixing "problems" that wouldn't even be problems if we had the pretty basic expectation that operators of devices know how to operate those devices before attempting to operate them.

This is likely going to be a software toggle in 99% of cars. And the remaining 1% of cars will be shit beige boxes that no one give a shit about anyway. You're talking maybe 3 minutes to deal with with no warranty voiding.

Wow, I don't get why everyone is so against this. It's something that does nothing but enhance the potential safety of a vehicle. The only time it is even potentially a detriment is if you're hooning around or doing trackdays/autocross. Yes, I agree better education and training is good too, but I'm also for anything that makes a vehicle safer regardless of the drivers ability level.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Wow, I don't get why everyone is so against this. It's something that does nothing but enhance the potential safety of a vehicle. The only time it is even potentially a detriment is if you're hooning around or doing trackdays/autocross. Yes, I agree better education and training is good too, but I'm also for anything that makes a vehicle safer regardless of the drivers ability level.

Because I have a clutch pedal and am not stupid? I dunno, this silly all encompassing drive toward safety at all costs is getting a bit annoying. Just adds to the price and weight of cars at every turn. It's not that this one thing is particularly frustrating, but it's a new "one little thing" every couple of months and that adds up.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Knight_ wrote: »

Because I have a clutch pedal and am not stupid? I dunno, this silly all encompassing drive toward safety at all costs is getting a bit annoying. Just adds to the price and weight of cars at every turn. It's not that this one thing is particularly frustrating, but it's a new "one little thing" every couple of months and that adds up.

This is likely to be implemented at the ECM level. You're talking a few dozen lines of code to do this. That code isn't going to add any weight and maybe a dollar or two to the end user cost of the car since it can be reused across a dozen different models of car.

I don't care if they add it as long as it's something you can turn off and it stays off. I hate it when they implement these systems where you need to turn them off every time you get in the car. The traction control on my Fit is idiotic for steep San Francisco hills and I have to remember to turn it off every time I'm faced with those conditions.