As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CF Phalla Signup List

• REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    It begins again.

Mafia mini II is open for signups!

• ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    What's that? I'm changing my theme?

Yes, it's true. I just like writing narrations about terrible people too much. Also I have some mechanics I'd like to see in action.

The Fiasco Phalla

Based roughly off of this game:
    Fiasco_cover.gif

Zellpher on
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    Mafia mini II is over with a Village and Town Drunk (Skull Man) victory!

• AkimboLegsAkimboLegs Registered User regular
    I'd like to sign up to run a Breath of Fire III (or Yu-Gi-Oh!, if it happens at a particularly good time for me) main phalla. One is technically ready now, so if it is needed to fill a gap between other mains, I am capable of doing that (assuming it isn't a bad week for me personally).

• sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    Join me in ruining your childhood memories.

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'd like to !sign up to run a main titled Star Wars: [Phalla]xy in Turmoil. (sorry Assuran for the overlap in theme)

Will be ready to run as soon as my Wiz-War Tournament is finished.

I will need someone to look over the mechanics for balance.

ObiFett on
  • AkimboLegsAkimboLegs Registered User regular
    A Breath of Phalla III is afoot.

• corvidaecorvidae Registered User regular
    i'll also throw my name in the hat for the un[phalla]ble. a phalla of indefinite source material.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I'd like to get a few more games as a player down before I give serious consideration to running one myself, so I'm not gonna formally signup, but I have been turning a few ideas for themes and mechanics over in my head. Could I ask if there are any decently experienced players here who'd be willing to let me bounce some of my ideas off of them?

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    you can throw me a PM if you want, Gaslight.

• AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    In other news, I've got my tech in Munkus' hands now, I should have the rest of the role PMs written by the end of the week, and I may be ready to roll with Phalla Wars after Akimbo is done with his game, as long as I don't have to do a major rewrite of the rules. I'll keep you up to date.

God help me not screw this one up.

• stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    God hates Phalla.

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    My mechanics are complete. I need someone super experienced that isn't going to play in Star Wars: [Phalla]xy for the Taking to look over them.

They are kinda.... complex.

But oh so awesome.

ObiFett on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    crazy game > balance imo

as long as it's not ludicrous to the point of "oh i actually can't have a meaningful impact on the game because the other side is so strong"

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Normally, I would would expect to like fun mechanics rather than strict vanillaness...but in a few recent games whose host shall go nameless....

steam_sig.png
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    obi I will look at your stuff if you want. I am going to be busy and probably not able to play in your game anyway, even though a star wars phalla sounds super fun.

• AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    THE SPARROWING may arrive after all!

although one would wonder how I could manage to co-host if merely playing is already a problem for me

WE'LL FIND SOMETHING*

*i'll let simonwolf do all the work

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I just got an idea for a pokémon phalla. I will have to write it up one day and see if someone wants to look over it for me. From the looks of the sign-up sheet, I've got time haha.

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Most of the sign up sheet is people who had an interest but not a completed game.

Id be surprised if there were more than say 3 mains ahead of you, and if you cap players at 30 you can do a mini and go right away.

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    In fact, a mini is recommended first before you run a main. You don't need to sign up for the mini, just announce your intentions maybe but otherwise just contact the main host about wanting to run one.

OrokosPA.png
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Sweet. Well either way, I'd want to have it fleshed out and planned through and double/triple checked before I put it out for people to sign up. Want it to go as well as I can.

jdarksun wrote: »
    I had one (and a half) disastrous minis before I ran my disastrous main.

Practice makes perfectly disastrous!

OrokosPA.png
    I had one (and a half) disastrous minis before I ran my disastrous main.

Practice makes disastrous!

OrokosPA.png
    Sweet. Well either way, I'd want to have it fleshed out and planned through and double/triple checked before I put it out for people to sign up. Want it to go as well as I can.
    Getting fleshed out is good, but having experience running a game is even better. I had one (and a half) disastrous minis before I ran my disastrous main.
    What was your main? I only see the minis on your thread list

steam_sig.png
    The hilarious l4d tournament one? I thought that was a mini

steam_sig.png
    Yeah I plan on doing a mini first for sure.
    Any tips you can give as far as running my first Phalla? Common mistakes to avoid and the like?

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Read through some old ones, see what worked and what didn't. Have someone experienced check it over for you.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

RED Rysk had a pretty good rundown of what not to do in the sportzphalla

steam_sig.png
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    RED Rysk had a pretty good rundown of what not to do in the sportzphalla

Not that it's a unanimous opinion, of course.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Regardless of whether you'd Normally think it was balanced or not, REG Rysk's advice was still general enough to be good ideas.

steam_sig.png
    If someone would be willing to give me some advice via PM, please send me one. I have an idea and it would be a bit ruined if it was aired out here, so yeah.

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    my first phalla was a 60 person faction/mafia hybrid where everyone had an ability

it was fun!

(I also got serious, serious advice from BL, edcrab and infidel on balance and mechanics, which is why it went well)

Langly on
    Holy hell 60 people sounds like a lot of setup

I've not run any mains yet, though I aspired to at some point run a game on the scale of Persona Hall a.

Not even sure how long those narrations took to make, but I don't have the mind for that amount of programming to get a system like that up for an HP/ability based type Dragon Age game (thus my dropping off the list).

Speaking of that, has anybody considered a community project for a simple program that could handle counting votes/actions akin to that system but available for anybody to host on Orokos (if such a thing is possible @Infidel )

REG Rysk wrote: »
    I've not run any mains yet, though I aspired to at some point run a game on the scale of Persona Hall a.

Not even sure how long those narrations took to make, but I don't have the mind for that amount of programming to get a system like that up for an HP/ability based type Dragon Age game (thus my dropping off the list).

Speaking of that, has anybody considered a community project for a simple program that could handle counting votes/actions akin to that system but available for anybody to host on Orokos (if such a thing is possible @Infidel )

The results were the click of a button, it was fully coded like most of our games. (The exception being the first with stat pages, Phalla of the Red Dragon, where we had the page you could view but the entry work was done by slave-labour MrBlarney, and I processed the results.)

The problem with a framework that is generic and works for everyone is that it works that way for everyone. You wouldn't really be able to customize resolution orders and such and players would know how every game using it acts at the low-level. All of ours were custom built for the game at hand (PHA/LLA obviously being the one totally different from the others) so it wasn't an issue for us, and to do anything interesting you still need to know how to code or get someone to code your actions available.

Still, that would be more accessible than writing it all from scratch for some.

OrokosPA.png
    That's a good point, customization becomes a non-option if you want to use it.

But, what if, and this is just a thought for now, the system itself doesn't actually process anything. It just gives all the raw data about how you want it to work and @MrBlarney does all the narration/computation for you. I think I could live with that.

8->

Didn't you guys use Google Docs to take orders for that? How did you tie into the spreadsheet results?

Orders were submitted directly by the players to a web server / database.

All our games have been custom coded web apps that have admin/resolution backends.

OrokosPA.png
    Here is a quick rundown of some of the previous games.

pord.png

The first as already discussed. You will see the Registered Actions section, that was done by MrBlarney (he would check the @SYSOP account PMs and update the backend, you would see your orders confirmed by refreshing the page and would know everything was good to go). I spreadsheeted this game to figure out all of the results, and then @MrBlarney would enter the results back in and you'd get next days details, as everyone can see. It was very manual to run but most things had pages to help entering (you picked the events that came up from a drop down and it would type up the summary for you, and you could tweak it from there, helped MrB a lot).

Fire Emblem was our first big hit with the stat pages.

fe.png

You can view the backend here and snoop around, I opened it up post-game for people. Use the login phalla/phalla and you can then see most of the admin options we had, click on any player statblock to view, etc. This is what the backend is like for all of our games since, it just is totally customized to the game at hand though.

Persona we really stepped up the backend in one regard, mass-editing of data. Over 100 personas had to be input into the system, assigned affinities, assigned graphics, etc. etc. We have a pretty alright system for that now.

personasample.png

In Persona above you can see it wasn't much new for the action input, but the actions you had on your list were determined by the four listed in that central area there. A lot of powers, with descriptions and custom code done through the backend itself, were in this game. You would end up with a different set of up-to-four powers if you had alternate personas, as this example does (one dude in the boxes at the bottom, click on them to switch that to your active persona).

PHA/LLA was real-time and a great lot of fun to make. It played very differently and had a totally different design to it codewise. It was heavy use of AJAX that made it interactive in a rich-client way, you went to your page and you logged in and then you could tool around with it, leaving it perpetually open. Updates came and actions were resolved in-browser, and it even worked on people's phones! A busy image with the shop image below, you can view more of the screens in this post.

shop.jpg

The latest was ELEMENTALIST which MrBlarney did the code work on his own (I was training him here and there to work with our system) and that means I could play it! (I dominated that game.)

SamplePage.png

As you can see, there is a lot of game-specific work. The stat pages could be without graphics, but that isn't what we do. We want something nice, and we want the pages to operate smoothly. PoRD didn't have any interaction, just history. FE had simple drop down action. Persona let you switch and train Personas. PHA/LLA was pretty much a functional game. :rotate:

OrokosPA.png
    This reminds me...

when's the next Blarnfidel game..?

Phallosopher's Stone, coming Soon™!

OrokosPA.png
This discussion has been closed.