As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Trailers] Solidifying Iron-Clad Opinions in 2:30 or Less

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    maybe you'd prefer a shitty screencap version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOs2nmgDXvw

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    A. What the fuck is looper
    B. Tell me when there's something to look at other than a broken plug-in notice, because I refuse to install any more quicktime/itunes/applelol bullshit.

Try youtube, @Houn, I saw it on there earlier.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Must admit, that does look cool.

50433.png?1708759015
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    Where's Jen Taylor and/or Mark Hamil?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    As interesting as that subject actually is, that trailer was really boring and had no hook at all.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Looper looks like good fun assuming theres no dubstep in it

• NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    Looper intrigues me. I get a feeling of "quality" from the trailer. Levitt certainly helps that. Can't really see him turning into Willis when he grows up, but oh well, I can roll with that. I'm interested to know what kind of time travel rules they'll be playing by.

Also, why are mobsters using this style of execution? It seems terribly inconvenient. First, you already have the target, so why not kill him yourself? More so, why send him back to someone else to kill him? You can't even see that person to watch if he actually does it. Even more more so, if you have time travel, just zap him back 1 trillion years into the past before the planet earth was formed and he'll just die in space. Nice and easy.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    If you send him back, I guess there's less evidence linking him back to you: the police can search everywhere but the only thing they'll ever find is some 30 year old ashes.

I question the validity of sending a guy back to be shot by his younger self. You'd think you'd get another looper to do it. My guess is that Bruce Willis sent himself back for reasons that will become clear as the movie progresses.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I'm already sold on Looper because of Rian Johnson; Brick was such a great little movie. But on top of that, Shane Carruth (who made Primer) is involved with effects and gave feedback on the screenplay, so you just know the time travel is going to be handled well.

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Page- wrote: »
    As interesting as that subject actually is, that trailer was really boring and had no hook at all.

What, were you expecting explosions and titties?

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Looper looks cool and the music in that trailer is awesome.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    NotYou wrote: »
    Looper intrigues me. I get a feeling of "quality" from the trailer. Levitt certainly helps that. Can't really see him turning into Willis when he grows up, but oh well, I can roll with that. I'm interested to know what kind of time travel rules they'll be playing by.

Also, why are mobsters using this style of execution? It seems terribly inconvenient. First, you already have the target, so why not kill him yourself? More so, why send him back to someone else to kill him? You can't even see that person to watch if he actually does it. Even more more so, if you have time travel, just zap him back 1 trillion years into the past before the planet earth was formed and he'll just die in space. Nice and easy.

This. This completely killed the trailer for me. It's beyond what my suspension of belief is currently allowing.

Houn on
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular

There's a lot of assumptions in there about how the time travel in Looper works; from the trailer, I assumed there's some sort of limitation in place for that kind of thing. Or, if you send someone back billions of years, it could screw with planet development. It seems like, from the trailer, that JGL goes to the same place each time to kill a person to minimize the effect they could have on the future from the time travel.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular

There's a lot of assumptions in there about how the time travel in Looper works; from the trailer, I assumed there's some sort of limitation in place for that kind of thing. Or, if you send someone back billions of years, it could screw with planet development. It seems like, from the trailer, that JGL goes to the same place each time to kill a person to minimize the effect they could have on the future from the time travel.

Yeah, and then there's tone of ways to get around those problems. You can only go back 30 years and coincidence, off the top of my head.

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular

As Scottsman said, I think that it has to do with removing evidence.

If you send a guy back 30 years, and have someone else kill him then you can plausibly deny that you don't know where he is. Also, there's no real evidence that you had anything to do with a 30 year old murder.

Also, why not the trillion years? It wouldn't make a very interesting story.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular

If you send a guy back 30 years, and have someone else kill him then you can plausibly deny that you don't know where he is. Also, there's no real evidence that you had anything to do with a 30 year old murder.

I imagine the "why not kill him first" question is answered with only living beings being able to be sent back, not inanimate objects/dead bodies.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    But then why aren't they naked? :P

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Man I could barely recognize JGL in that trailer. Like I was hoping it was him, but then I was sort of hoping it wasnt, because if it wasnt, there was another actor out there I could get excited for their movies. But alas it was JGL so, Looper is on my list of films to watch.

616610-1.png
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    But then why aren't they naked? :P

Magic time wizards.

Who hate nudity.

If you try to go back naked, you still end up fully clothed.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    If you send him back, I guess there's less evidence linking him back to you: the police can search everywhere but the only thing they'll ever find is some 30 year old ashes.

I question the validity of sending a guy back to be shot by his younger self. You'd think you'd get another looper to do it. My guess is that Bruce Willis sent himself back for reasons that will become clear as the movie progresses.

Easy fix - it was another looper's job and he took it as a favor or something unexpected came up and they had to switch. I doubt the loopers know or care who their targets are.

I didn't know Shane Carruth was involved, but having the Primer guy in on your time-travel movie is a decision that just makes me love Rian Johnson that much more.

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm definitely going to watch Lockout. Probably on a cheap Tuesday or even at the cheaper theatre, but I will watch it. Oh, and Looper. I'll definitely watch that in a good theatre.

BlazeFire on
  • AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Also, Bruce was notably lacking the mask. I think there must be some special circumstances.

• JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Bloodsheed wrote: »

I imagine the "why not kill him first" question is answered with only living beings being able to be sent back, not inanimate objects/dead bodies.

Future is actually the one in Minority Report. Precogs can sense it when you intend to murder someone, so they sent them back alive.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Looper looks amazing.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Looper does look amazing.

Also I like the trailer for I Know That Voice simply because it isn't the cast of the Simpsons sitting around a couch talking about their one job that's allowed them to all retire multi, multi millionaires.

Not that I don't love me some Simpsons, but it's awesome to see the people that actually made more of a craft out of it.

are YOU on the beer list?
    Julius wrote: »

Future is actually the one in Minority Report. Precogs can sense it when you intend to murder someone, so they sent them back alive.

But wouldn't the precogs then sense you're going to send someone back in time in order to kill them?

I think we found a new low/high: Trying to figure out the logic of a time travel movie while tying it to the logic of Minority Report.

Julius wrote: »

But wouldn't the precogs then sense you're going to send someone back in time in order to kill them?

I think we found a new low/high: Trying to figure out the logic of a time travel movie while tying it to the logic of Minority Report.

In the movie anyway, the precogs couldn't see anything but murder (and some of the run-up) because the actual murder was disruptive to whatever sci-fi human empathy field they came up with. If the murder itself didn't take place in the near future, they probably wouldn't be able to latch onto it to see the pre-planning the way they did with regular brown balls.

• DredZedDredZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    They actually said in minority report that what the precogs detected was the actual act of murder, not just the intention. Something about "damaging the metaphysical ties that bind us" or something like that. I'm on my phone now or I'd look up the exact quote.

So no, the precogs wouldn't necessarily detect you sending someone to the past, because that itself isn't actually killing them.

Of course,I would think forcibly pulling someone out of the proper point in space time would mess with the metaphysical stuff too, but yeah.

DredZed on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I get the impression that it's like the Terra Nova/Timeline/DejaVu time travel rules: Some MIT duders found a weird ass one time link to the past that they've decided to keep open and/or study and a small number of corporate owned assassins travels back to the past to kill people specifically at a certain point (they probably each have one, they're not all the one JGL uses) to make clean up and timeline problems easier.

It's probably WAY harder than just paying to put a bullet in someones head by hiring a sniper, but it's MUCH, much cleaner and easier to deny, and only for very high profile targets. I mean I'm guessing he's not offing someone each week. It's probably something he does once or twice a year max.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Looper does look amazing.

Also I like the trailer for I Know That Voice simply because it isn't the cast of the Simpsons sitting around a couch talking about their one job that's allowed them to all retire multi, multi millionaires.

Not that I don't love me some Simpsons, but it's awesome to see the people that actually made more of a craft out of it.

Dan Castellaneta and Hank Azaria have done a ton for their craft besides the Simpsons.

• MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    Are Americans only just now getting Tomorrow, when the war began?

It was out here in Australia at least a year ago, if not longer. Hell its on bluray and dvd.

Its pretty good, not cheesy like Red Dawn at all. Its based on the first book in a series, and they never really name the country from which the enemies come.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular

This looks cool, but, it also reminded me a lot of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SXHp42HGUA

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Just got back from Cabin in the Woods. The trailer doesn't do it justice, omg. I have a giant
    husband bulge
    just thinking about where this movie ended up.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I posted this earlier, but I hear from Turkish newspapers its getting a Canadian release sometime in August or September:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTXljiwsKSc

Oh god I can't wait for Fox news' response to this

Looks like it might be a good watch

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Explanation: Time travel, like any travel, is expensive. 30 years if the feasible limit before you start getting to the point where its not worth it to off the guy. Sending him back 100 years would use so much energy either a) people would notice, or b) you don't have the funds.

Why kill him in the past? Police and forensic technology are a lot better in the future. 30 years ago there won't be an investigation since no one has gone missing and by the time there is one the evidence has decomposed.

wbBv3fj.png
This discussion has been closed.