As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Chat Thread: Patch 5.0 on August 28th! Change your passwords.

• BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    Question for you warrior tanks out there on AoE tanking trash: Do I want to Shockwave>Rend>Thunderclap (for B&T) to pick up the mobs? Or go Thunderclap>Rend>Shockwave>Thunderclap (for B&T)?

I haven't touched my warrior as a tank for a loooooooong time and really rusty.

If you have Blood and Thunder

Rend > Thunder Clap+Cleave > Shockwave > Then just thunderclap and cleave on cooldown.

You don't want to Shockwave first, especially if they are stunable, cause then they won't be hitting you and you won't be gaining rage to generate threat and someone will be blasting the shit out of them and pull off you.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Question for you warrior tanks out there on AoE tanking trash: Do I want to Shockwave>Rend>Thunderclap (for B&T) to pick up the mobs? Or go Thunderclap>Rend>Shockwave>Thunderclap (for B&T)?

I haven't touched my warrior as a tank for a loooooooong time and really rusty.

Rend ->Thunder ->Shockwave then Tunder up to two or three stacks and shock. Tab through and use interrupts on casters or Conc blow. Make sure to use Demo shout. I see no warrior tanks use it these days. Every little bit helps. Also if your chain pulling Leap helps get some extra initial agro on all mobs. Make sure you have Revenge cleaving and use it on CD. Use Shield slam on CD and use Shield Block on CD. If you have the rage use glyphed cleave for rage dumps.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Thanks guys, I was worried mostly about those DPS who blow their load as soon as they see the tank get a sliver of rage. I know on my Paladin its "lawl hotr" and on my Druid its "lawl swipe" and it's fine. The two GCD thing of Rend/TC had me a tad worried.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    Dranyth wrote: »
    Opty wrote: »
    To fix the giant pink boxes you just needed to turn your view distance down to Good or worse. I just checked though and they're gone, so it doesn't matter anymore.

Macros are broken in that they broke /cast but only for specific spells. For example, /cast Wrath does not work while /cast Starsurge does.

Oh while I was logged on double checking stuff for this post, I literally got to reply "you can't right now" 7 times in a row to people asking if they could respec or not. I guess a ton of new people just logged on or something.

Oh I know how to fix the giant pink boxes, that's not the point. Good that they fixed it.

I'm very curious how they managed to half-break macros... it really seems like it should either work or not, not just for specific spells.

I actually had thought they had fixed the respec thing last patch... but come to think of it I hadn't tried it myself. I figured that would've been a bit of a priority, I mean, they want people to test specs and such, yet, each person can only test two right now. And if it's a transferred character, they can only choose one of those, as your primary transfers over and you can't get out of it.
    Totally unenlightened guess, but I'd think it has something to do with the fact that they've had to redefine abilities in some manner under the covers. Where before you just had class abilities and then talent abilities (and I guess one spec ability), now you have class abilities, spec abilities, and talent abilities.

From Opty's example (Wrath doesn't work, Starsurge does), maybe they changed something low level (software speaking, not game levels) about class abilities vs. spec abilities and one kind doesn't work in macros because the /cast command doesn't recognize that the character actually should be able to use the ability, even though it's not a spec ability.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    when I was tanking on my warrior I'd go thunderclap > shockwave > rend > thunderclap

realistically any trash hit by shockwave is pretty much stuck to you until it dies

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    Finally got the second half of Thunderaan's Bindings.

Now I need to figure out how to get 100 Arcanite Bars. Gah. There's only like 12 on the AH.

• _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm logging in for the first time since Tuesday, and my launcher is trying to install updated tools. But it stops at around 90%.

Anyone else have this problem?

Edit: Googled the problem and found a fix. Nevermind.

_J_ on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »

Now I need to figure out how to get 100 Arcanite Bars. Gah. There's only like 12 on the AH.

Start a miner. Sell the extra ore.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »

Make friends with an alchemist :P

Then make lots of circuits farming Thorium, you should also get quite a few arcane crystals. In fact, there's probably a few of each on the AH thanks to flying making it quite a bit easier to farm.

Which reminds me, I need to start farming these...I want to be ready when in 5 years the other binding finally drops for me >.>

• PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    Which reminds me, I need to start farming these...I want to be ready when in 5 years the other binding finally drops for me >.>

Optimist huh?

• DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Dranyth wrote: »
    To fix the giant pink boxes you just needed to turn your view distance down to Good or worse. I just checked though and they're gone, so it doesn't matter anymore.

Macros are broken in that they broke /cast but only for specific spells. For example, /cast Wrath does not work while /cast Starsurge does.

Oh while I was logged on double checking stuff for this post, I literally got to reply "you can't right now" 7 times in a row to people asking if they could respec or not. I guess a ton of new people just logged on or something.

Oh I know how to fix the giant pink boxes, that's not the point. Good that they fixed it.

I'm very curious how they managed to half-break macros... it really seems like it should either work or not, not just for specific spells.

I actually had thought they had fixed the respec thing last patch... but come to think of it I hadn't tried it myself. I figured that would've been a bit of a priority, I mean, they want people to test specs and such, yet, each person can only test two right now. And if it's a transferred character, they can only choose one of those, as your primary transfers over and you can't get out of it.
    Totally unenlightened guess, but I'd think it has something to do with the fact that they've had to redefine abilities in some manner under the covers. Where before you just had class abilities and then talent abilities (and I guess one spec ability), now you have class abilities, spec abilities, and talent abilities.

From Opty's example (Wrath doesn't work, Starsurge does), maybe they changed something low level (software speaking, not game levels) about class abilities vs. spec abilities and one kind doesn't work in macros because the /cast command doesn't recognize that the character actually should be able to use the ability, even though it's not a spec ability.

Encapsulation!

• 815165815165 Registered User regular
    rend > tc > sw

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    You need 100 bars for the thunderfury? I know it's been a very long time since I helped make one but I don't remember doing transmutes that often

I have 53 crystals in the bank but some of them go to the hammer since I am jsu 4 blood and 2 Ingots away for it and then kill rags

• SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Durr, nevermind.

Samphis on
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Thunderfury requires 10 enchanted elementium bars.

Each enchanted elementium bar requires 10 arcanite bars (among other things) to smelt. So it's 100 arcanite bars total if you can't get any of the finished enchanted elementium bars off the AH or something.

Lars on
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    So I did all the quests last night in Vale of the 4 winds, was way buggier then Jade Forest, but also more fun. Hit 87.

steam_sig.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Ahh that is what enchanted elementium bars are used for

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    mmo-champion has the ability swaps for symbiosis up and they look hells of interesting

NREqxl5.jpg
    Why the heck would I want a taunt as a rogue?

steam_sig.png
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Why the heck would I want a taunt as a rogue?

So you have a reason to use Feint.

edited April 2012
    I have had reason to use faint for a long while now and it has nothing to do with threat. You should look at what it does now (and what you can glyph it for now and in MOP). Since at least Cata release (or maybe even Wrath) faint halves Aoe dmg you take for 6 seconds, on a 11 second cooldown. With current glyph, there is no energy cost, making it very good (that is to say, mandatory in pve). Mop glyph makes it instead also reduce physical dmg by 30%. The actual threat reduction at this point (and really, since midway through vanilla) is less than what one incurs in threat for one autoattack.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Uh oh!

*vanish!*

yeah, rogues getting growl made me laugh too

maybe it's a placeholder

NREqxl5.jpg
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Being able to taunt and Dash as a druid is pretty awesome generally, so a Rogue being able to Taunt, Sprint, Evasion when the boss gets caught up, and then Vanish when Evasion's almost done sounds like a good way to keep a boss busy for half a minute or so or to give time for the druid to brez a tank on a one tank fight or something.

At that point you are better off giving an extra cd to the tank so doesn't get killed in the first place. What you are describing is planning for failure instead of planning for success.

steam_sig.png
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    At that point you are better off giving an extra cd to the tank so doesn't get killed in the first place. What you are describing is planning for failure instead of planning for success.

rogues generally don't have cds to actively save tanks, though

it's very roguish, i think, and has some nice utility

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Decided to run my Druid through MC today for the first time.

Hey, look. The Eye of Sulfuras.

Nice, gratz!

steam_sig.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular

Nice, gratz!

I'm glad you could come up with kind words to that.

All it makes me want to do is reach through the internet and strangle him!

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    It's amusing to me that there are still people who will log on an alt to threaten to report you for killing them on a PvP server. I still have my alliance on PvP, and I'm not much into it these days, so I just go about my leveling business. Some guy jumps me while I'm tooling along doing quests, I log on my rogue, and camp him. He cries because I won't stop camping him and won't fight his 85 dk. Welcome to a PvP server. Life isn't fair and if you want to be a bitch I'll be a bigger bitch. Also nobody is fooled when you're "going to go play on another server." Then why did I kill you again five minutes later?

Come on, son. Who you fooling?

Good times.

MOBA DOTA.
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    so glad i am on a pve server always

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Everquest taught me that I have no patience for PVP servers.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    On Symbiosis:
    For what the druid gets there's two ways to handle it. Either no matter which class you pick you get something that helps your job or no matter what class you pick you only ever get utility stuff. Right now it's a mixed bag, meaning druids will want specific classes around to make their jobs easier. To demonstrate, Balance gets almost all utility spells except for one--Mirror Image--such that Moonkins will always want a mage in the group for that spell. All of the other specs suffer from the same thing, where almost everything is utility except for one or two spells (Cats: Shaman and partially Warlocks, Bears: DKs and partially Warriors, Restos: Priests and partially Paladins)

For the target though, it needs to be utility or nothing because otherwise it makes having a druid around be a requirement for that class to be at top level. As it is right now some classes are getting stuff that helps them out. First example: all tank specs get an extra cooldown. This not only means tanks will want a druid in the raid for the extra cooldown but it also means bear tanks are screwed competitively if there isn't a DK in the raid since that's the only class that gives bears an extra cooldown. In addition, it means that druids will be expected to symbiosis the tanks before any other raid members. The only other case of a target getting a beneficial spell is DPS DKs who get a spell that helps dps in aoe situations.

Note that this is focused around 10m raiding since that's what I do. I realize that some of what I've pointed out doesn't matter as much in a 25m scenario since you're much more likely to have one of every class but since you can feasibly be missing a class or two in that raid size it's still possible to come up so I think it's worth thinking about.

Nice, gratz!

I'm glad you could come up with kind words to that.

All it makes me want to do is reach through the internet and strangle him!
    What? Why? It's quite good fortune.

steam_sig.png
    On Symbiosis:
    For what the druid gets there's two ways to handle it. Either no matter which class you pick you get something that helps your job or no matter what class you pick you only ever get utility stuff. Right now it's a mixed bag, meaning druids will want specific classes around to make their jobs easier. To demonstrate, Balance gets almost all utility spells except for one--Mirror Image--such that Moonkins will always want a mage in the group for that spell. All of the other specs suffer from the same thing, where almost everything is utility except for one or two spells (Cats: Shaman and partially Warlocks, Bears: DKs and partially Warriors, Restos: Priests and partially Paladins)

For the target though, it needs to be utility or nothing because otherwise it makes having a druid around be a requirement for that class to be at top level. As it is right now some classes are getting stuff that helps them out. First example: all tank specs get an extra cooldown. This not only means tanks will want a druid in the raid for the extra cooldown but it also means bear tanks are screwed competitively if there isn't a DK in the raid since that's the only class that gives bears an extra cooldown. In addition, it means that druids will be expected to symbiosis the tanks before any other raid members. The only other case of a target getting a beneficial spell is DPS DKs who get a spell that helps dps in aoe situations.

Note that this is focused around 10m raiding since that's what I do. I realize that some of what I've pointed out doesn't matter as much in a 25m scenario since you're much more likely to have one of every class but since you can feasibly be missing a class or two in that raid size it's still possible to come up so I think it's worth thinking about.
    You think drama over who gets DI is bad, wait until symbiosis Is there.

steam_sig.png
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    While Symbiosis is an interesting concept, I can't help but feel it will be entirely too difficult to balance, and it'll become Dark Intent 2.0. And look what happened to that, it got turned into a Raid Buff because it was too powerful.

I hope they can make it work though, cause it looks cool.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    All they have to do, as Opty says, is remember that you can't structure a choice so the options are Core ability vs Utility ability. It never works. It's not a real choice.

Of course, they are generally good with this kind of thing now and it's Beta, so I expect it'll change.

• MillMill Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    While Symbiosis is an interesting concept, I can't help but feel it will be entirely too difficult to balance, and it'll become Dark Intent 2.0. And look what happened to that, it got turned into a Raid Buff because it was too powerful.

I hope they can make it work though, cause it looks cool.

I don't think the current incarnation of Symbiosis is going to make it live because it's way too complex, thus being way to hard to balance. Even if they get it to pure utility, there is almost always going to be a case where X class always gets Symbiosis for Y encounter when the druid is Z spec, which kind of defeats the purpose of "choice."

I suspect they'd have an easier time with it if they went along the lines of:
    All non-druid specs are divided into four categories: melee, tank, caster, healer
    All specs belonging to a category (ex. melee) get the same ability (ex. barkskin).
    What the druid gets will be based on just the spec the druid happens to be, the spec of the recipient will only influence the graphics of the symbiosis ability (ex. the boomkin would always get a stun but each one would have a different animation and spell effect).

Yes, it's not as cool as the current iteration but it would be a hell of lot easier to implement and players would have much more control over who they give it to. Sure you might get an encounter where it's always better from a min/max stand point to give it to a healer but even then you get to pick which healer gets it instead of potentially always having to give it to your resto shaman, who happens to also be the least skilled player in the raid.

• !CaTfiSH!!CaTfiSH! Registered User regular
    Anyone want to send me a Scroll of Resurrection invite? :P

ppp3-1_zpsfeba5568.jpg
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    !CaTfiSH! wrote: »
    Anyone want to send me a Scroll of Resurrection invite? :P

If you still need it just pm me your bnet id or character/server you want it sent to.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

This discussion has been closed.