As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Comics News] IV: The Voyage Home

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    If those new toys don't have little heat-sensitive decals on them, they can fuck right off.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    they can fuck right off.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Archaia comics to publish their first run comics exclusively on comiXology.

Correction: While they are releasing their archive and first run material on the site I didn't read anything about them not doing print comics anymore.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    While Marvel has been trying to create interest in Black Widow for at least five years, people are already making their own Captain Marvel action figures.

This is a bad omen along with all the Carol Corps fan art on tumblr. The Internet embracing something is either 50/50 for success or unbelievable failure.

Crimsondude on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    While Marvel has been trying to create interest in Black Widow for at least five years, people are already making their own Captain Marvel action figures.

FUCK ME that is ugly.

I prefer this one.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    C2E2: FRACTION HITS THE STREETS WITH "HAWKEYE"
    Clint Barton won't be alone on his quest to be a hero and a good person. He'll be accompanied by the Marvel Universe's other Hawkeye, teenage Kate Bishop of the Young Avengers. The duo's different backgrounds and shared stubbornness will lead to an interesting and affective dynamic.

"It's very 'Avengers,' by which I mean John Steed and Emma Peel. There's a whole healthy person between the two of them. There's a line in 'Rocky' where he says, 'I got bumps. You got bumps. Together we fit,' or something like that -- the two of them fit together. Each one has what the other doesn't, which means they work very well together," Fraction said of their dynamic. "She's young, incredibly gifted, incredibly cultured, and incredibly headstrong. She doesn't suffer his crap and also wants to be someone worthwhile, but she's trying to figure out how to make that possible. She follows him not because of his abilities, but his accomplishments. So they work together quite well. It's an apprentice and master style relationship."

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    hawkeyeS written by the Iron Fist team? Well damn I guess i'll start buying singles again

Hmmm
    Well, get ready for some serious path-crossing. As announced Sunday afternoon during Mavel’s “Next Big Thing” panel at the C2E2 convention in Chicago, Fraction and Gillen are collaborating on “Everything Burns,” a seven-part crossover (nine chapters in total, counting two epilogue issues) between The Mighty Thor and Journey Into Mystery, depicting all-out war in the nine realms.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/c2e2-2012-everything-burns-thor-loki.html

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    "Everything Burns"

Surtur?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    yeah its the return of surtur.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Jamie McKelvie announced on his twitter feed that he's the new regular Defenders artist. Which is awesome.

Oh shit Alan Davis as one of the artists for the MT/JitM crossover. That makes it a must-buy for me alone.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Jamie McKelvie announced on his twitter feed that he's the new regular Defenders artist. Which is awesome.

while that is awesome, losing the dodson's is never a happy moment

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Any word on what the Dodsons' next project is?

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

while that is awesome, losing the dodson's is never a happy moment

Yeah. I like McKelvie but man, I love the Dodsons.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I know that David Brothers isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I think this is a good article on the whole Alan Moore vs. Before Watchmen thing:
    http://4thletter.net/2012/04/if-newsarama-knew-better-it-would-do-better/

He talks about how there's hardly anyone talking about the actual issue at hand - namely, creator's rights - and then outlines the relevant facts and the argument against "Before Watchmen". He later summarizes his personal position in one of the comments like this:
    Yeah, I think Moore is wrong on modern comics and a few other things, and I don’t even particularly like his comics any more. But that’s beside the point, right? This is about one specific instance, not his entire life. He can grump all he wants and criticize things out of ignorance, because he’s a regular old human being. That doesn’t mean he deserves to be screwed.

Edit: There some pretty interesting discussion going on in those comments, as well.

Delduwath on
    I really enjoyed his take-down of DC's Before Watchmen promotions, during C2E2.
    Good news, y’all. All of your concerns about the dubious business practices of DC Comics and how they basically robbed Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons of the rights to Watchmen have been resolved! DC found a paid shill to sit in the audience and pretend to be skeptical, all so that they could put on a song and dance to show us that the art looks nice!

Let me be the first to say WHEW! I’m glad that they managed to get the people at the top of their list, too, since Kevin Smith, Grant Morrison, and Frank Quitely all turned them down. That’s how you know they’re being truthful: there’s no hype, just hard-hitting facts. Funnybook Babylonian Chris Eckert has more on DC’s effective and inspiring marketing scheme here, and a hint for what JMS’s book might be like!

Our worries have been all for naught, so please rest assured that the art looks nice, and therefore the work is legally and morally correct!

Personally, I'm not buying Before Watchmen, for the simple reason that it represents a dearth of creativity, on DC's behalf.

When I saw that, following a string of unimpressive events, Marvel was going to do a giant Avengers v.s. X-Men crossover, stacked with big-name creators, and built on the back of stories they've been repeating ad infinitum for years, I thought, "Oh, this is surely the most shameful cash-grab of the year."

And then DC revealed Before Watchmen, and I realized that there's always a new low to sink to.

edited April 2012
    I'm kind of surprised DC never did the alternate world stories from Fringe, but I guess the money wasn't worth it.

I wish I could say that this doesn't make me think less of the people involved because I like or respect them (Okay, not JMS), but man ... Darwyn Cooke. He said something about "why don't you work on something for twenty years and then fuck it up" when talking about characters being mishandled (I think he was tearing up about Westlake not seeing the final version of Parker, and since I can't immediately think of what else it could have been let's just go with that). I wish I recorded that panel because I'd post that mp3 all over the fucking web.

Crimsondude on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Didio's line about getting nothing but positive feedback is that bubble mentality that hurts the industry the most.

It doesn't help that there's no such thing as independent comics news/press.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I'm kind of surprised DC never did the alternate world stories from Fringe, but I guess the money wasn't worth it.

I wish I could say that this doesn't make me think less of the people involved because I like or respect them (Okay, not JMS), but man ... Darwyn Cooke. He said something about "why don't you work on something for twenty years and then fuck it up" when talking about characters being mishandled (I think he was tearing up about Westlake not seeing the final version of Parker, and since I can't immediately think of what else it could have been let's just go with that). I wish I recorded that panel because I'd post that mp3 all over the fucking web.

Did you read the first 6 issue mini from a while back Crimson? I read a friend's, and while it went a little off the rails ( I swear I remember Walter and a Dinosaur, or Walter and Hitler, maybe both rofl) it was still pretty fun.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    I think he means these
    dcfringecoversmain.jpg

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Didio's line about getting nothing but positive feedback is that bubble mentality that hurts the industry the most.

yeah, it is pretty bad

March Sales Estimates

AvX #1 sold 213k, JL #7 sold 131.5k, which was only 4k off from February. Avengers Assemble sold 101k

Sales at the top seemed to stay mostly the same, as Aquaman actually went up in sales a bit, and still beat all Marvel books that weren't AvX or Avengers Assemble. And Superman stopped it's big slides, only losing 3k units at 66k, probably due to the new creative team. Mister Terrific is still the lowest selling of current DC books, at 10.5k.

Saga#1 sold 37.5k, Supercrooks #1 sold 35k, Fairest #1 debuted with 32k.

Avenging Spider-Man #5 dropped 5k from last month to 40k, that is steep, and it seems like retailers and customers might realize the book is just the standard Spidey team-up with no permanent team and adjusting. Just for comparison, Scarlet Spider #3 only dropped about 600 units from #2, selling around 32k. Avenging did have a higher launch but the steps aren't syncing up with the other Spidey stuff out there.

Defenders is having the same problem as Avenging, as #4 is now at 29,700, losing 4k more since last issue.

edited April 2012
    I think he means these

Yeah. I meant those. I think The Man of Steel Returns would have been interesting depending on what kind of Superman actually returned.

@WiseManTobes I haven't read the tie-ins because I have no idea where I even left off with the series. The whole thing in the queue with a hundred other series for me to catch up on. Stupid TV being good.

Crimsondude on
    I wonder what's up with Secret Avengers #24's sales. It seems like it has to be a mistake, dropping from 37k, to 19k.

They were all Ant-Man's fans.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    They were all Ant-Man's fans.

And both of them bough 9k copies each.

(Hey-oooo)

Looks like Secret won't last after A vs. X-men. Oh well.

Weird. Because I grabbed a copy of SA #24, but can't find a physical copy of #23. Oh well.

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Munch wrote: »
    I wonder what's up with Secret Avengers #24's sales. It seems like it has to be a mistake, dropping from 37k, to 19k.

#24 was the one where it didn't actually officially get on Diamond's releases list for that week, right?

I would think that definitely has something to do with it.

huntresssig.jpg
    Yeah I think that was a mistake

sadly it will probably have a detrimental effect on the future sales of the book, people not going back because they missed an issue.

Though I guess there will be lots of them floating around unsold, haha

Well it might not be THAT doom and gloom, luckily. SA was the last week of March, so it officially popped up in April. Because of that, #24 may do 15k on the April charts too to sort itself out.

Also, Mister Terrific's been cancelled. So the lowest selling New 52 title is Captain Atom at 12.5k.

huntresssig.jpg
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Ultimates only doing 32k makes me :( , Granted it was a last week book, but still probably wouldn't get too much more.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    Arivia wrote: »
    Well it might not be THAT doom and gloom, luckily. SA was the last week of March, so it officially popped up in April. Because of that, #24 may do 15k on the April charts too to sort itself out.

Also, Mister Terrific's been cancelled. So the lowest selling New 52 title is Captain Atom at 12.5k.

Noooooooo!

Yeah sorry Solar

If it helps Huntress #6 was just over 20k, which has me worried

huntresssig.jpg
    edited April 2012
    Nobody cares about your stupid girl comics Arivia

Solar on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Man both of your comics can be cancelled

So you know how I feel about omac

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    As long as Frankenstein stays afloat I'm happy.

(It'll be cancelled very soon I'm afraid)

This discussion has been closed.