As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[World of Tanks] Our track is broken! Get out and push!

• ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    http://worldoftanks.com/news/1172-world-tanks-invades-pax-east/

world of tanks at pax, plus they are giving out swag? and a chance to win a computer at it.
    "Come by booth #490 to play the game on an awesome Origin PC, pick up cool swag and enter for your chance to win fantastic prizes, including a brand new Origin desktop!"

wonder if they are doing those little tanks with the codes on them again. to bad I live up in canada land.

steam_sig.png
  • scarescare Registered User regular
    Last year, they gave out codes for a PzKpfw 38H735(f), some gold, and a small amount of premium time.

mister_fej.png
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    this might be an age-old question, but since both the coated optics and the binocs are effective to a maximum of 500m is it safe to assume that 500m is the absolute longest range any tank can see?

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • The DermThe Derm Registered User regular
    I believe 500m is the limit.

Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position
    Such a heavy burden now to be the one
    Born to bare and read to all the details of our ending
    To write it down for all the world to see
    But I forgot my pen...
  • AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    According to the wiki
    View Range is the theoretical maximum distance that your vehicle's commander (not you!) can see, and depends on the vehicle's turret, the commander's effective skill level as well as the usage of view range stat enhancing equipment like Coated Optics or Binoculars. View Range has no relevance of its own, its only purpose is to server as a factor for calculating the spotting range. It is not to be confused with draw distance, nor does it have any influence thereon.

Note that unlike what the in game description of the view range enhancing equipment indicates, there is no 500m limitation. View range is unlimited. The better your view range, the better your spotting range, at any range.

The maximum possible view range you can currently (v0.7.2) achieve in game is 570m with a Patton and 100% commander, Brothers in Arms skill, Improved Ventilation equipment, Binoculars equipment and Case of Cola premium consumable.

however
    Maximum Spotting Range

You will never spot a vehicle further away than 445m.

Note that unlike draw distance limits, spotting range limits are the same in all directions (think of a virtual bubble instead of a cube).

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    Having fun (usually) in my 3002 DB

It's good to have a solid tank finally, only have the first gun upgrade, and I think I'll go for speed before anything else

• FarleymanFarleyman Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    That's the better 76mm, right? The short 88mm is good for the extra damage, although the reduced penetration is a bit of a bummer. It's biggest issue though is the fact you need the turret (schamlturm if I can spell correctly), which has a slower traverse.

Basically, the 76mm is great for circling because of the quick turret, while the 88mm turns the tank into a bit more of a shoot-n-scoot game, particularly with the engine upgrades.

Farleyman on
    steam_sig.png
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    Yeah, with the upgraded turret I'm looking at an extra 5.5 tonnes, so I'll be sure to keep both

• G. CactusG. Cactus Registered User regular
    Overlord's taking more openly about tier 10 mediums and TDs. (Which, I mean, why are they only now doing this? What's the point of only having one class go to tier 10?) Given Wargaming's pace, you can't say it's imminent, but if you're driving a tier 9 you might want to consider unchecking accelerate crew training.

• SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    At one point I remember them saying they kind of regretted having put in tier 10 heavies, so I don't think it's so much that they think heavies should dominate the game. If I had to guess I'd say that they're going to have to stretch the bounds of the time period and technology level they've chosen in order to come up with tier 10 mediums and TDs, which has made them reluctant to do it. But they did kind of paint themselves into a corner by only taking heavies to tier 10....

Big-ass special/sale coming up this weekend:
    Tankers!

One year ago World of Tanks released in North America and we wanted to celebrate this momentous occasion with you. We've also designed the special to be themed around the Battle of Berlin, which started on April 16, 1945.

This is no ordinary special, though -- we've supercharged it with numerous discounts and bonuses for you to enjoy this weekend as we celebrate World of Tanks' first year of live service.

The special starts at 11:30 UTC on April 12, 2012 and ends at 11:00 UTC on April 16, 2012. The following discounts and bonuses will be active:

5x experience for the first victory of the day on each of your tanks
    15% discount on six-month and one-year premium account options
    3-day premium for 250 (normally 650)
    7-day premium for 650 (normally 1250)
    50% discount on:
    Standard: IS, KV-13, SU-8, PzKpfw V Panther, PzKpfw VI Tiger, Hummel
    Premium: T-25, T14, Matilda, Valentine, Churchill
    50% discount on 100% crew training
    50% discount on crew retraining
    50% discount on camouflage
    50% discount on equipment

Please note that selling the above-mentioned vehicles during the special will return 50% of their current sale price.

Be sure to take advantage of the discounts and bonuses while this special lasts! The above-mentioned offers will end on April 16, 2012.
    Sort of tempting to pick up six months of premium. Definitely gonna get a Churchill at half price, and maybe do some crew training. I'd love to grab a bunch of equipment but I really need to save up for the IS-4....

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    ... Funny that will pop up literally 2 days after my 4 months of premium will expire.
    Eh, lots of good deals though. I'll have to try taking advantage of that somehow.

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Blurg, why couldn't I have just waited to retrain my T-54 crew for this challenge. Also why couldn't they do another gold round/consumables discount. I need to buy a few hundred more IS7 and Batchat APCR, and Rations/Coffee etc for challenges. I love how I'm bitching about this massive discount and sale just because it's stuff I don't particularly need right at this time, and will probably want soon after it's over lol. That six monther is tempting though.

• AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    I can't wait to pick up a half price Churchill, just wish I had enough time to take advantage of the discounted premium offers.

ECOED.jpg
  • OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    Perfect timing, just bought my E75. So tomorrow I can swap over my crew from my lowe thats ~25% into their 2nd skill and buy new equipment and camo for it cheap. And my premium expires in 2 days too.

• G. CactusG. Cactus Registered User regular
    Got done with the IS just in time to sell it for full price. I thought I was going to hate it, and I kinda did, but I was really effective in it. It competed against higher tiers much better than I thought it would.

I almost certainly won't have time to get through the IS-3 in time for the patch, but I'm going ahead anyway. I think I'll like the IS-3, and it seems like a good line to go down. Do we know anything about the IS-8?

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Well, I feel like an enormous moron for having returned to WoT on a whim, only to have one of my best days ever--winning about 7 out of 9 battles--right before they implemented the x5 bonus.

Goddamn, I cannot play this game right.

• OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    From what I just saw on the WoT boards, looks like the IS-8 is getter a better version of the T110's gun. Similar rate of fire, slightly better pen, less accurate, slower aiming, but +40 damage per shot.

Edit: Any ideas on what to pick for 2nd skills on driver and commander on an E75, was thinking recon or jack of all trades on commander and maybe clutch breaking, smooth ride, or the off road skill for the driver

Ogotai on
  • Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    I loaded this up after hearing about the event and bonuses and whatnot. I only took a furtive glance at WoT ages ago but I'm really like it this go around.

The main thing that confuses me is crew management. Ideally how many different crews do I want? if I wanted to go down the various german branches (say spd, td, and medium) should I have 3 seperate crews that I designate for each tank type? or should I have 1 supercrew that I just reset to whatever I'm driving?

steam_sig.png
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    You should have a number of crews equal to the number of vehicles you want to run simultaneously. So yeah, probably three, one for each vehicle type. My advice at least is to skip the Sturmpanzer and take the Wespe line into SPGs, that way you can at least skip one extra tier two vehicle (also the Wespe is better in my opinion).

You should have a number of crews equal to the number of vehicles you want to run simultaneously. So yeah, probably three, one for each vehicle type. My advice at least is to skip the Sturmpanzer and take the Wespe line into SPGs, that way you can at least skip one extra tier two vehicle (also the Wespe is better in my opinion).

Thanks, I've been dabbling in ussr and germany and am not sure which I like better yet. So if I went USSR and wanted to go down the medium tank tree (I'm liking the BT-2 a lot) I should just pick up the TDs at tier 5 and then roll brand new td crew while keeping my original crew on the med tank line?

steam_sig.png
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Fleck0 wrote: »

Thanks, I've been dabbling in ussr and germany and am not sure which I like better yet. So if I went USSR and wanted to go down the medium tank tree (I'm liking the BT-2 a lot) I should just pick up the TDs at tier 5 and then roll brand new td crew while keeping my original crew on the med tank line?

Ideally you don't want to be moving crews in between tank classes. When you retrain between the same class you get a 10% hit, if it's outside of the class you take a 20% hit. If you aren't retraining, and run a crew trained for one vehicle of the same class it is 25% hit and outside is a full 50% hit.

Basically keep a crew on any tank you plan on keeping, and anything else you get rid of, retrain to the next vehicle you're moving up to in tiers. Keep in mind though that you aren't likely going to be getting a crew high enough in skill to make retraining even worth it until you get to tier 5-6ish. Running a tank with a 100% crew is going to be leagues ahead of running at 50 or even 75%.

• peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    Retraining a crewmember to the same tank type will retain more skill than retraining them across tank types. Just keep your crews in tanks and when you research a new tank of the same type, sell the predecessor, keep the crew, put them in the new one and retrain them for that tank. Even though you can play with a crew that is not trained for a tank, the penalty is so high that it does not make it feasible to have one crew for multiple tanks. Also, switching over crewmembers between tanks a lot would get really tedious.

Paying credits to train a crewman to 75% only becomes worth it at tier 4. Paying gold for training to 100% is really not worth it, even at 100 gold like it is now. Carrying crew over between tanks that is trained < 75% and has no perks has no benefit, but I like to do it because their battle stats and medals carry over.

Although I have not played german spgs much, I recommend the soviet spgs over the german ones. The first 2 of the soviet tree are especially fun.

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2012
    At higher tiers the Soviet SPGs have issues. Namely, they're fast and accurate, but have the lowest splash radius of all of them. It sounds like it balances out, but at high tiers sometimes you have to resort to chipping people out around cover, and it really falls behind there.

As for the tanks, the only time you can run the same crew in more than one tank is with premiums of the same nation and type. For example, you can take a Tiger P crew and throw them into a Lowe with no retraining and they won't take a skill hit. I'm not sure if different types incur the 75% or 50% penalty, but either way it's not worth it.

A duck! on
  • ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    have they announced if 7.3 has new premium, tanks?

have a ton of gold burning a hole in my wallet since I won it.

steam_sig.png
    They've announced that 7.3 will introduce French premiums, but I don't know if they've announced what those will be.

• BastableBastable Registered User regular
    One more match before the ANZAC tourney incursion team is in the monies. Although to put it lightly, the southern tourney is a bit disorganised.

Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

Our team will have to fight Forge right before the quarterfinals (assuming we make it that far). I think we stand a fair chance against them, but it would have been nice to make it into the money before running into them just the same. :P

• minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    They've announced that 7.3 will introduce French premiums, but I don't know if they've announced what those will be.

One of them will be a French tier 4 SPG.
    I saw one in game today, a super tester was using it.

• WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    2% away from brothers in arms on all my Lowe crew. What should I get after that, repair? Or pick the most useful job specific ones?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Absolutely repair.

Duck is correct.

Also, holy cow. This game sure does love to just shit all over itself sometimes.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?j3u1dq1xpx3vgfn

Impressively, that performance wound up netting me almost a 10K win thanks to the x5 event. Go figure.

• minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    I love how your FPS went from 12 to 112.

Repair, as already said. I end up going with Repair by default on most tanks.

edited April 2012
    Thanks all for all the crew mechanics advice earlier it was extremely helpful . Since getting a grasp on that I've been grinding pretty hard down the Ussr tree. I was able to get through the awful A-20 grind (with premium, still awful) and really like the T-34s speed and penetration. I also just got the T-50 which I'm liking even more, playing scout is pretty fun

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
    Why go brothers in arms? is it that much of a bonus vs the specific skills? same with repair and firefighting I guess

Why go brothers in arms? is it that much of a bonus vs the specific skills? same with repair and firefighting I guess

A 5% boost to any one thing might not be huge, but it affects almost every aspect of your tank, from view range to aim time to accuracy to turning speed to acceleration. All those small bonuses add up. That's why the improved ventilation equipment is widely regarded as a no-brainer for most tanks that can mount it. You may find that you prefer other options, of course, but that's the general consensus.

Repair skill is pretty key because it can make the difference between life and death when you're tracked. With no repair skill, the odds of someone being able to perma-track you in the open (or simply get another shot or two in on you while you're stuck) go up considerably. It's also nice to have things like turret rings and optics repair faster, and even your gun or engine if you've already blown your repair kit.

Firefighting is pretty crap. Fire is a killer when it happens, but it's not that frequent on most tanks, and you should be carrying a fire extinguisher most of the time anyway. I would only take firefighting as filler if there were absolutely no other skills I wanted, and with all the new ones that's not very likely to happen.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Is there a running log that'll show everything that has changed since like October of last year? I stopped playing because GODDAMNBATTLEFIELD3YESSSS but a buddy saw WoT at PAX and liked it so Imma get my garage fired up again in a few days here when I get home and get stuck in wit da boyz again. I just don't wanna go in blind.
    I also just got the T-50 which I'm liking even more, playing scout is pretty fun
    Wait till you get the T-50-2. That thing is the most god damn fun thing ever. Ripping through the battlefield at absurd speeds to do high speed drive-bys on artillery never gets old.

wWuzwvJ.png
    I don't see it too often, but if I ever got my hands on a T-50-2, I have to imagine I'd equip armor spall and every so often treat myself to a good, old-fashion ramming at the side of a large artillery piece.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I don't see it too often, but if I ever got my hands on a T-50-2, I have to imagine I'd equip armor spall and every so often treat myself to a good, old-fashion ramming at the side of a large artillery piece.

Yes.

wWuzwvJ.png
This discussion has been closed.