As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX PRIME 2012 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• GeekyPrincessGeekyPrincess Registered User regular
    PAX PRIME sounds exciting. I have been debating to go to it ever sense i missed Sakura-con. An anime convention i've been going to for almost i think 9 years....it feels like that long. yeah. Anyways this sounds exciting it'll be my first Pax prime though still debating if i should go or not, trying to decide Before the passes go on sale. Any advice to a first timer that is use to an anime convention? I am also a gamer but i dont know how much of a gamer i would be considered.

Before PAX (this year will be my third) I had mostly been to comic book and small retro game cons. I like to play but I don't consider myself to be a serious gamer if that makes sense, anyway, PAX was amazing as a first timer. There is so much going on that I never felt like there wasn't something to do or see. I would say look at what was available at Prime 2011, check East 2012 and see if there was stuff going on you'd be interested in seeing, trying, listening to and go from there.

I've never been to Sakura-Con, we always did ECCC and honestly as much as I loved ECCC I'd rather be at PAX. We moved out of state in the fall and are flying back to Seattle for PAX this year, it is my kids end of summer trip and it's one they all can't wait to get to, even more than Disneyland!

Cookie Brigade Prime 2011 and 2012!
    Shipping cookies for Prime 2013
  • ptriz21_teamkillptriz21_teamkill Registered User regular
    I stayed at the Sheraton for the first time last year (my 4th PAX). I won't be staying anywhere else.

Also there will be an Official Hotel Discussion thread soon I'm sure.

3DS: 3325-2059-2105
  • TheClaw59TheClaw59 Registered User new member
    edited April 2012
    Hey everyone, I moved to Seattle last year and will be attending my first PAX. Just wanted to drop in and let everyone know you can find parking for a bit cheaper on 8th Ave. There are two or three U-Parks directly on 8th (the convention center has an entrance on the same Ave.), and one slightly off 8th on Columbia. Per the website:

DAILY RATES
    Hourly Rate 0-2hrs $5.00
    All Day $10.00
    Evenings $5.00
    Event $5.00

Here is a list of all the First Hill locations: http://www.u-parksystem.com/locations/default.asp#first_hill_seattle

As long as you don't mind walking a few blocks you can save some cash on parking. :-)

TheClaw59 on
  • WeeEvil EeveeWeeEvil Eevee TacomaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    PAX PRIME sounds exciting. I have been debating to go to it ever sense i missed Sakura-con. An anime convention i've been going to for almost i think 9 years....it feels like that long. yeah. Anyways this sounds exciting it'll be my first Pax prime though still debating if i should go or not, trying to decide Before the passes go on sale. Any advice to a first timer that is use to an anime convention? I am also a gamer but i dont know how much of a gamer i would be considered.

Before PAX (this year will be my third) I had mostly been to comic book and small retro game cons. I like to play but I don't consider myself to be a serious gamer if that makes sense, anyway, PAX was amazing as a first timer. There is so much going on that I never felt like there wasn't something to do or see. I would say look at what was available at Prime 2011, check East 2012 and see if there was stuff going on you'd be interested in seeing, trying, listening to and go from there.

I've never been to Sakura-Con, we always did ECCC and honestly as much as I loved ECCC I'd rather be at PAX. We moved out of state in the fall and are flying back to Seattle for PAX this year, it is my kids end of summer trip and it's one they all can't wait to get to, even more than Disneyland!

AWESOME thanks for the advice ^.^

Though im still debating because of how you get your badges. The whole sending the badge in the mail is bothering me. I mean has anyone ever had theirs get lost before?if so what happened? cause i mean i know the badges dont have your name or anything on them so it's like what do you do cause you paid 60 for it.

WeeEvil Eevee on
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular

AWESOME thanks for the advice ^.^

Though im still debating because of how you get your badges. The whole sending the badge in the mail is bothering me. I mean has anyone ever had theirs get lost before?if so what happened? cause i mean i know the badges dont have your name or anything on them so it's like what do you do cause you paid 60 for it.

If you do not receive your badge, you can always email pax_questions@paxsite.com for a resolve.

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • awyldknghtawyldknght Registered User regular
    I seem to be the one in charge of researching hotels for our group.

We are looking at the Sheraton, Thurs.-Sun. and expecting a rate around $180/night.
    1)Was this the price for one of the Suites?
    2)If so, was there any options on the type of Suite through the PAX reservations?

[ X ] PAX Prime 2013 tickets purchased [ X ] Hotel Room booked
    [ ] PAX Coin Ordered/Reserved
  • chusik7chusik7 Registered User new member
    Hi. My first time trying to go to pax.But I am not sure if i can make it I have alot of work. What i read i heard that the tickets sellout fast . I will be able to know for sure a few months before the convention, but i am afraid that the tickets will sell out and i wont be able to go. Is there any way to reserve some tickets without paying. I just dont want to lose my money and not being able to come, so i cant buy the tickets early.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    awyldknght wrote: »
    I seem to be the one in charge of researching hotels for our group.

We are looking at the Sheraton, Thurs.-Sun. and expecting a rate around $180/night.
    1)Was this the price for one of the Suites?
    2)If so, was there any options on the type of Suite through the PAX reservations?

If I remember correctly, you could only book normal rooms through the PAX Hotel Site, and it was around $160-ish per night I think?

chusik7 wrote: »
    Hi. My first time trying to go to pax.But I am not sure if i can make it I have alot of work. What i read i heard that the tickets sellout fast . I will be able to know for sure a few months before the convention, but i am afraid that the tickets will sell out and i wont be able to go. Is there any way to reserve some tickets without paying. I just dont want to lose my money and not being able to come, so i cant buy the tickets early.

Unfortunately not. Passes are 1st come 1st serve.

Prime is very popular. 3 Day passes sold out in 22 days last year.

Your best chance is to buy a pass and then either ask for a refund** later on, or try and sell to one of your friends.

**no guarantee refunds will be offered

• shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    Last year the DTS buttons disappears, and there didn't seem to be a replacement system. Will DTS be returning this year, or something similarly cool/silly/fun?

• CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    What was the price at the Westin last year? I have enough SPG points to cover 2 nights, and the Sheraton's been in sold out status since the dates were announced (probably the housing bureau reserved a massive amount of rooms for con-goers, so I wouldn't worry about that being an issue, but still means I couldn't get in on my points), so that pretty much leaves the Westin as my only choice. Unless I get the Four Points and walk a few blocks to the convention center, of course.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    What was the price at the Westin last year? I have enough SPG points to cover 2 nights, and the Sheraton's been in sold out status since the dates were announced (probably the housing bureau reserved a massive amount of rooms for con-goers, so I wouldn't worry about that being an issue, but still means I couldn't get in on my points), so that pretty much leaves the Westin as my only choice. Unless I get the Four Points and walk a few blocks to the convention center, of course.

You might be able to reserve through One peak and still use your points, you may just have to call to get it all taken care of (unless it's a black out date than YMMV). I believe the Hyatt mentioned they'd do this to my wife whose a Hyatt Club member. (But don't quote me on any of this, YMMV, some assembly required and what not.) In any case, I'd consider calling either the sheraton or the rewards place. Onepeak seems just to be a agrigator, all of the billing and whatnot was done as if we had directly booked with the hotel.

• CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    tsrblke wrote: »
    You might be able to reserve through One peak and still use your points, you may just have to call to get it all taken care of (unless it's a black out date than YMMV). I believe the Hyatt mentioned they'd do this to my wife whose a Hyatt Club member. (But don't quote me on any of this, YMMV, some assembly required and what not.) In any case, I'd consider calling either the sheraton or the rewards place. Onepeak seems just to be a agrigator, all of the billing and whatnot was done as if we had directly booked with the hotel.

I work for one of Starwood's call centers, and trust me, changing third-party bookings to another rate plan (whether that's points or whatever) takes an act of God. :) It'll probably be easier to just do the Westin; I just want to make sure my budget can handle it.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • SpicyMeatsSpicyMeats Victoria BCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Emailed onpeak and the hotels are up

Pm'd the link to small lady

Happy booking

(it's kinda surreal booking for prime 5 days after getting back from east)

SpicyMeats on
    qEGfoNG.png

• CreamsteakCreamsteak Thrall Registered User regular
    Um... wow... I bet that wasn't supposed to go public yet.

• KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    Creamsteak wrote: »
    Um... wow... I bet that wasn't supposed to go public yet.

I'd bet so too.

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
    Somebody is going to be having a bad day today. :P

They got posted early for pax east as well, didn't want all the good rooms to get booked up by people emailing in early. But your right I'm gonna pm it to small lady and let her put it up invade its to early.

qEGfoNG.png

edited April 2012
    SpicyMeats wrote: »
    They got posted early for pax east as well, didn't want all the good rooms to get booked up by people emailing in early. But your right I'm gonna pm it to small lady and let her put it up invade its to early.

The difference is, a representative from Reed Expo posted the link a little early on the Forums to give Forumers a small jump on everyone else for East. In this case, the link was incorrectly given out by OnPeak before it should have been public to anyone on this forum.

zerzhul on
  • awyldknghtawyldknght Registered User regular
    Well crap. I hope not to much damage was done since I'm wanting a room at the Sheraton

[ X ] PAX Prime 2013 tickets purchased [ X ] Hotel Room booked
    [ ] PAX Coin Ordered/Reserved
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    Let's just....not use that link for evil just yet guys and gals.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
    Good to know that the Westin is actually cheaper than the Sheraton, though.

xderwsaxganu.png
    I didn't realize the person who posted it last time was from on peak... Color me embarrassed.

I sent them an email yesterday asking when it would be available for booking (I arrange for 4 of us and they work out of town so hopping to book a meetup to plan) and they sent me a lovely little email that said they where available right away. I even phoned in to confirm something About my res and they didn't seam to think anything was wrong.

Then I posted the link in between clients at work. Oops.

Hopefully this doesn't mess anyone up, and sorry if it did.

qEGfoNG.png

I didn't realize the person who posted it last time was from on peak... Color me embarrassed.

I sent them an email yesterday asking when it would be available for booking (I arrange for 4 of us and they work out of town so hopping to book a meetup to plan) and they sent me a lovely little email that said they where available right away. I even phoned in to confirm something About my res and they didn't seam to think anything was wrong.

Like I said in PM. This wasn't your fault so please don't feel bad.

SmallLady wrote: »

Like I said in PM. This wasn't your fault so please don't feel bad.

Yeah, SmallLady is right, there was no reason for you to think it wasn't available if OnPeak sent it to you like that. (also last time it was posted from Reed Expo, the people who run PAX, not OnPeak, but still, it was an official channel)

• MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    I'm going to be flying in. How far away is the Airport, and what's my best option for getting to PAX from there?

Also, you are awesome for including the bobcat.

1tLJUH2O.png
    gespo89 wrote: »
    I'm going to be flying in. How far away is the Airport, and what's my best option for getting to PAX from there?

Also, you are awesome for including the bobcat.

Direct from the airport to downtown seattle is the Light Rail.

Thanks guys (and gals)

qEGfoNG.png

We're going to be getting a roomshare thread going, right?

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
    We're going to be getting a roomshare thread going, right?

Once hotels are actually live, then yes, we'll post a roomshare thread

How soon do those who order their badges usually recieve their badges when they get mailed out?

• TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    How soon do those who order their badges usually recieve their badges when they get mailed out?
    Badges go out in waves about 2 weeks before the convention. It sounds like the earlier you purchase your badge the earlier in the waves you receive them. You will need to order before a cut-off date if you want them mailed to you, or else you'll have to pick them up at will call at WSCTC starting on the Thursday before Prime.

It sounds like the earlier you purchase your badge the earlier in the waves you receive them.

I'm not sure that portion has ever been confirmed. It's been a rumor before, but generally unsubstantiated. I always buy the first day they're available, and I've been in the first wave and the last wave before in different paxen.

• TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    It sounds like the earlier you purchase your badge the earlier in the waves you receive them.

I'm not sure that portion has ever been confirmed. It's been a rumor before, but generally unsubstantiated. I always buy the first day they're available, and I've been in the first wave and the last wave before in different paxen.
    I knew I should've thrown in "might be conjecture" in parenthesis when I was writing that. I was hoping the "sounds like" would come across more like it's a rumor or some such :lol:

Badges go out in waves about 2 weeks before the convention. It sounds like the earlier you purchase your badge the earlier in the waves you receive them. You will need to order before a cut-off date if you want them mailed to you, or else you'll have to pick them up at will call at WSCTC starting on the Thursday before Prime.

Ah alright thankyou.

• aludrachaosaludrachaos Registered User regular
    Do the hotels generally care if you fit more people in a room than the room is meant to accommodate? (e.g. having some people sleep on the floor.)

Do the hotels generally care if you fit more people in a room than the room is meant to accommodate? (e.g. having some people sleep on the floor.)

Yes, yes they do. That is there for fire safety.

• tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular

Yes, yes they do. That is there for fire safety.

In my experience (and YMMV for PAX since it's a "hotel at capacity" style event) I've found that this is varied by degrees. First, some hotels will change you extra per person over 2 people, even for the same size room (I don't think the PAX booking system does this so it's kinda moot.) In these cases, I've found that (generally) showing up with 4 people for a room paid for 2 people (but a room that can accomadate 4) doesn't really get much friction. Best way to tell how many people a room can hold is looking at the beds. 2 People for every double or larger bed seems standard for the hotel industry.
    Also, I've found that Hotels will usually just turn the other way with regards to adding +1 to a room (over what you listed, to an extent). So 3 people in a 2 person room doesn't usually provoke a fight, 5 people in a 4 person room may be pushing it. Trying to cram 6 more people into a room (that's not some sort of suite designed for it) will hardly ever work. (I'm from a family of 6, so there is an exception to this, but unless your really just coming with your spouse and kids....)
    Of course any time you push the rules, you engage certain risk, so if there is a problem (too loud, something broken or the like) you only make yourself more likely to be "dismissed" from the hotel. The other thing to caution about this is, for obvious reasons hotels will only let people get new keys made who are on the reservation, so if someone else loses their keys (or as happened to us last year at the Hyatt, the keycards got reset by accident) your group will have to meet up to redistribute keys which can be troublesome. (I actually forget how we figured out our keycards were reset. I think they called us, because it was some floor wide accident, so it wasn't like we were standing outside our rooms unable to get in. Of course given the Cell Phone Fun (TM) at PAX I didn't find out until a few hours after it happened.)

• WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    They generally don't care if you aren't stupid about it. I know people who have asked for 3+ extra room keys and they don't bat an eye.

• The Political GamerThe Political Gamer Registered User new member
    Hello from Chicago! I am currently helping organizing a group trip with fair number of people most of whom live across the globe, mainly the UK, Sweden, and the US.

I am wondering how group bookings work in this kind of situation. My hope is that I can just create a group account using then On Peak system when it goes live and we each pay separately into a pool that goes toward that one account. My main reason for asking is that I know hotels tend to give out group discounts and this is a fairly large group. Also its much easier to have everyone pay their share directly rather then a middleman (IE me) doing it for them and risk something going wrong. If this is not possible do you have any tips as to how to coordinate a group of this size? If it makes it any easier On Peak has an office in Chicago and I could directly talk to them possibly bypassing any issues with the online signup.

If its better to talk one on one feel free to add me or my partner in crime and UK/EU contact Pie_Tony.

This discussion has been closed.