As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Thread About Movies

• Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Astaereth wrote: »
    But there are complex ideas driving most of his work.

What exactly leads you to this conclusion?

As you said, Tarantino discourages in-depth criticism of his films, the films themselves put much effort into being all about surface. What exactly is it that makes in-depth analysis, looking at his films as parabels or metaphors seem a plausible approach to his films?

Couldn't it just be a case like the hat in Miller's Crossing, which according to the Coens themselves... is just a hat. Isn't it possible that a film that exudes coolness and cinematic awesomeness has nothing else on its mind and nothing else driving it? That "cool & awesome" is really all there is to it?

Like I said above, Inglourious Basterds does suggest a more coherent voice underneath the surface and a more explicit acknowledgement of the moral and ethical implications of the characters' actions within the narrative. If you believe that Kill Bill is a Buddhist parable, then surely you must consider IB a step backwards as its "meaning" is so much more blatant and apparent than in Tarantino's earlier movies.

Joe Dizzy on
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Joe Dizzy wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »
    But there are complex ideas driving most of his work.

What exactly leads you to this conclusion?

That there's strong evidence for complex ideas in most of his work? I believe at the very least that Reservoir Dogs, Kill Bill, Inglourious Basterds, and Death Proof all have something detailed and interesting to say.
    As you said, Tarantino discourages in-depth criticism of his films, the films themselves put much effort into being all about surface. What exactly is it that makes in-depth analysis, looking at his films as parabels or metaphors seem a plausible approach to his films?

Couldn't it just be a case like the hat in Miller's Crossing, which according to the Coens themselves... is just a hat.

There are plenty of examples of authors decrying attempts to read things into their stories. The Coens are famous for it, Hitchcock was much more likely to talk technique than theme, John Ford left it at "I make Westerns", and Charlie Kaufman just refuses to explain to anybody what the burning house in "Synecdoche New York" is meant to mean. Does it follow that there is no meaning? From a book on Peckinpah:
    The anti-intellectual posture also has another basis. "I make it a point," [Peckinpah] once said, "of not trying to to explain my films." It isn't that he didn't want them discussed. It is rather that he believed their meanings consisted not in some neatly paraphrasable theme or idea but in the experiencing of the films themselves, which every filmgoer has to do on his or her own. His attitude is not dissimilar to that of Hawthorne, who writes in the preface to The House of the Seven that when stories "do really teach anything, or produce any effective operation, it is usually through a far more subtile process than the ostensible one" of supplying "some definite moral purpose".
    In [avoiding analyzing his own work] Peckinpah had a far more sophisticated grasp of the relationship among artist, artist's intention, artwork, and audience than the majority of his critics do.
    Joe Dizzy wrote: »
    Isn't it possible that a film that exudes coolness and cinematic awesomeness has nothing else on its mind and nothing else driving it? That "cool & awesome" is really all there is to it?

I think there are movies like that, but a QT movie is typically more self-aware than that--it constructs a facade of "cool" in order to deconstruct it or contrast it with morally questionable actions. I don't have time now but if you want to pick one of QT's movies I'll go into some depth and look at how he uses various techniques to accomplish this.

ACsTqqK.jpg
    edited April 2012
    I'm just not convinced that Tarantino has the same relation to both his films and his audience as Peckinpah, Hitchcock, the Coens, Kaufman or Ford do. Their movies are very explicitly and openly about more than just the surface. I simply don't see the same kind of care, reflection and coherency in Tarantino's films prior to Inglourious Basterds.

WRT "the hat": I think the Coens aren't playing coy when they argue that it's just a hat. Any meaning is created through contextualisation by the audience. We infer and project meaning onto the hat, because we see it as part of the complex language of symbols, verbal cues and references within which we look at the film. But it is just a hat. They did not use it as a code for anything, which does not mean that they weren't aware that the audience would recognise a recurring visual motif and take it into account when watching the film. I don't think they meant to trick or fool anyone by doing so. But it is one thing to leave ambiguity and open spaces within a narrative for the audience to engage with. (My personal favourite is near the end of No Country when Chigurr leaves the apartment and checks his shoes.) It is another to withhold elements of the narrative from the audience to tease them.

I don't think any of Tarantino's films operate on such a high level of narration. When there are open spaces within Tarantino's narrative (like the contents of the briefcase in Pulp Fiction, or Mr. Pink's fate in Reservoir Dogs), they are there because they are cool and stylish.

Joe Dizzy on
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Cabin in the Woods

Go

Read no more

Go

Go

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    But

But

I don't like Joss Whedon.

At all.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Cabin In The Woods is so unique that it doesn't have a chance to feel too "Whedony." If you're familiar with Whedon stuff you'll certainly recognize some actors, but honestly I think that he has been unjustly "type-cast" as a writer, at least with his more recent work. What do you hate about him? I'll let you know if its in the movie, and if it is I won't insist that you see it.

I just got back and I loved the movie, and anyone who is thinking about seeing it should avoid spoilers and then go see it. It was the most fun I've had watching a movie in a very very long time.

ALSO, I went into this movie knowing almost nothing about it, after having heard from the internet that this is what you should do. I am so glad that I listened to this advice. In fact, I was curious so I just watched the trailer for the movie and I cannot stress enough that you should not watch trailers for this movie, or look at commercials, or read reviews. Just go see it.

Kid Presentable on
  • Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Wanted to jump in and say, don't read anything or talk to anyone about it but go see Cabin In the Woods, holy shit was it amazing.
    Great fun horror movie, can't remember last time I saw a movie and was so satisfied with it as a whole.

Oh also, for people that saw it, did you spot
    The Boomer from Left4dead? He's in there! Fucking love this movie.

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Just saw The Raid.

Damn. Fuck The Expandables, this is an action movie. Brutal fights (don't think I ever heard so many "Jesus Christ!" from an audience or shocked laughter) which are amazingly choreographed and more than that actually shot so you can see all the action. There's parts of the movie where it's just 10-20 minutes of action and you don't miss anything. There's also some fucking tense moments.

Simply a fantastic movie. Can't recomend it enough.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    So, being bored and stuck at my dad's watching his dogs while he's on vacation, I watched the BluRay special features of Captain America, Thor and now Star Wars (the old documentaries on the bonus disc).

It's interesting to see how the more recent Marvel movies did a lot of what Lucas did back in the day. And now compare with what he does now... It's sad. The practical effects and everything compared to the more digitial products these days.

newSig.jpg
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    holy shit cabin in the woods

That is one high-fucking-concept horror. I wonder what the execs looked like while it was pitched to them.

Edit:
    For chessboxing (spoilerth)
    "He was holding the conch in his hands!!"

Also, on the betting pool board, one of the "monsters" was Sexy Witches. Haha

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    holy shit cabin in the woods

That is one high-fucking-concept horror. I wonder what the execs looked like while it was pitched to them.

Edit:
    For chessboxing (spoilerth)
    "He was holding the conch in his hands!!"

Also, on the betting pool board, one of the "monsters" was Sexy Witches. Haha

Yeah, cabin was fantastic.

Real spoilers:
    The music and "oh come on!" when the merman shows up had me dying. Whitford is so good in this everything.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    Seeing it tonight.

CAINT WAIT

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    Gaaaaah I want to click those spoilers because I doubt I'll see it in theaters (money...) but I know i'll eventually get it on DVD!

It's worth eating ramen for a month if the $10 ticket somehow breaks you, Euph.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Hmmm. I think I'll go see that tonight. I didn't bother to go last night because all I knew was the name "Cabin the woods", and movies with cabins and woods have been sophomoric recently.

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Saw Cabin in the Woods last night. Really really good.

But what is up with the audiences nowadays? Hunger Games was some douche with a laser pointer. This time was a bunch of idiots checking their super bright cellphones during the movie.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    I was just checking in here to see whether Cabin was worthy of the hype I heard about it from SXSW.

Guess I'm going to see it today!

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Just got back from Cabin in the Woods. It's amazing. I guess I don't have anything else to say, except avoid spoilerth.

• Mad King GeorgeMad King George Registered User regular
    Cabin in the Woods: Go see it. Now. Seriously. Right now.
    We are the old gods that need to be pleased. So awesome. And the controllers as writer/director was also genius.

So.. Cabin in the Woods... what's the verdict on that? Anyone seen it?
    :P

• MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    I've refrained from posting about it because my bias towards the screenwriter is pretty transparent.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
    Ehhhhhhhhhhh, I went in knowing nothing but it being a horror flick and the recommendations from this thread. So I went in thinking I would get a good horror flick and was sorely disappointed. The movie is really a parody of the genre, not something to be taken seriously. One I realized that, I could get over a lot of the average-ness of the flick (since that seemed to be part of the point).

lilnoobs is the worst

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    He's the opposite of Batman.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
    It's not a parody. It's kind of a deconstruction, although only sort of. I'm not sure what I would really call it, but I posit that it is a good horror movie because... (spoilers omitted). But to be fair 90%+ of horror movies are terrible, and 98% of slasher movies are terrible.

Parody, deconstruction, whatever it actually is, it fucking works.

• pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    LavaKnight wrote: »

So good. I can't wait to get it on bluray so I can frame by frame the 3rd act.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Cabin in the Woods was definitely fantastic.
    "Good job, Zombie Arm."

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
    edited April 2012
    I guess I expected to be scared in a horror movie; I wasn't. Cabin the Woods isn't that type of movie, and I bet most people laughed more than got scared which doesn't bode well for "horror". But for what it ended up being, it was fun although I'm a bit iffy if it'll work on subsequent viewings or even have staying power.

edit: I mean just re-read the spoilers for those who have seen it, they are all comedy related. An analogy: Zombieland is to Night of the Living Dead as Cabin in the Woods is to The Descent. I liked all of these movies, but I would consider Night of the Living Dead a better zombie movie than Zombieland, The Descent a better horror movie than Cabin in the Woods.

Lilnoobs on
  • Mad King GeorgeMad King George Registered User regular
    I gotta say, before I saw Cabin, just glancing at the stills on a couple of review sites made it look like the secretary from The Office, Ellie Kemper, was in this. No, it was just her twin.

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular

My first thought on the 3rd act: "Why, oh why don't movie theaters have pause/rewind buttons."

This is the first movie in a while I'm going to buy on day one for DVD.

SERIOUS THIRD ACT SPOILERS
    God, the murderous unicorn. And the Merman. And the Redneck Pain Worshiping Zombies. Hell, I was disappointed we didn't get to see the puzzlebox sawblade man in action.

And the lady from Chem department was Fred in Angel. Only she's working for Wolfram and Hart now. It's so good.

Seriously, Go See This Movie. There is no excuse.

• Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    Saw The Raid tonight, some CRAZY action if you're a martial arts fan it's worth seeing. It's one of those ones where you see the stunts and wince because wires, padding, whatever, there's no way filming it didn't hurt like hell.
    Pretty sure the US could never make that sort of thing because no one would insure the stunts.

I'm itching to see Cabin in the Woods again, I just keep thinking about that movie. So awesome.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
    edited April 2012
    Just remembered one of my favorite lines from Cabin:
    "This isn't right, we should split up, we'll cover more ground that way! Everybody to their rooms!" I loved how that character was holding on to that logic despite Franz Kranz's beautifully delivered "really?"

LavaKnight on
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Watched Blue Valentine tonight. Best film I've seen in a long time. I am fully on board with Gosling now, that man is fantastic. And Michelle Williams is now on my radar, I was smitten with her. I loved everything about it: the soundtrack, the actors, the writing (apparently there's lots of improvised dialogue), the cinematography... It was just incredible start to finish.

However it will definitely stomp all over your heart and leave you feeling rather emotional by the end.

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    I watched Super 8 and Another Earth yesterday.

Super 8 wasn't bad, but it wasn't really that good either. It just felt like Abrams was having a cinematic wank.

I liked Another Earth. Brit Marling was excellent.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
    Capfalcon wrote: »

My first thought on the 3rd act: "Why, oh why don't movie theaters have pause/rewind buttons."

God, the murderous unicorn. And the Merman. And the Redneck Pain Worshiping Zombies. Hell, I was disappointed we didn't get to see the puzzlebox sawblade man in action.

And the lady from Chem department was Fred in Angel. Only she's working for Wolfram and Hart now. It's so good.

Well
    There was a scene during the quick cuts later on with someone hanging upside down in a stairwell, wrapped in chains with him looking on.

I am pretty sure that was the NOT-Pinhead guy at least.

What I want a pause for though, is so I am able to read the intern's note cards he was holding up to a camera. (it was on one of the many displays behind the operators during the chaos)

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg

I'm pretty sure I saw
    the Hellraiser wannabes torturing somebody.

It was a "Why don't they have pause/rewind button" things.
    I want a still shot of the big board, I didn't have time to read everything!

I also want to know what they would have gotten had they watched those movies.

• InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    edit: I mean just re-read the spoilers for those who have seen it, they are all comedy related. An analogy: Zombieland is to Night of the Living Dead as Cabin in the Woods is to The Descent. I liked all of these movies, but I would consider Night of the Living Dead a better zombie movie than Zombieland, The Descent a better horror movie than Cabin in the Woods.

Honestly, I'd compare this more to Shaun of the Dead. And Shaun of the Dead is fantastic at what it does.
    Really, I felt like the movie kept jumps and tension in just fine. I mean, its the moment it happens that's the payoff. After that, when they cut away in this movie, its usually just gratuitous and not scary any more in any other movies. So I don't think there's anything wrong with them cutting to the controllers after someone gets stabbed, or right before a redneck zombie pops through a window. Those lead-ups are going to happen in all of those movies, but there were still people in the theatre doing the typical "Get away from the window!" sort of quips and winces.

I think that means it is still pretty effective.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
    Tomanta wrote: »

I'm pretty sure I saw
    the Hellraiser wannabes torturing somebody.

It was a "Why don't they have pause/rewind button" things.
    I want a still shot of the big board, I didn't have time to read everything!

I also want to know what they would have gotten had they watched those movies.
    I'm guessing
    Maybe the doll faces/masks dudes? I assume it was a snuff film of some kind.

However, it will be great to go back and pick out all the different items in the basement and try to connect them to the monsters that show up later.

I still hope the Sexy Witches were in the end scenes somewhere, because seeing that written on the whiteboard had me dying.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Also,
    The intern was Andrew from Buffy]

Seriously, same basic character.

I really enjoyed Cabin in The Woods. Yeah, I'm a Whedon fan, so there's that, but aside from that, I still think it's a horror movie that works. Like others have said, it's really not a parody, more like a love letter ala Shaun of the Dead. I really recommend it. I loved how the first act was basically
    Evil Dead

Complete with totally bad ass and unexpected weaponry.

Though I do have some things that didn't quite make sense.
    How the fuck does the organization come up with all those monsters? And why would they have a big red button that releases them into the lobby? I know that when the fool/virgin where in the elevator, they directed it to the lobby, but it seems weird that it would have also directed all the other monster cubes

noir_blood on
This discussion has been closed.