As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Skullgirls - PC release confirmed

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Matchmaking is still not as effective on Live, but man do the Live players have some fancy combos down cold. Also, it's nice to use my Goddamn TE in a while.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Valentine is too much of a nod to Mai for her looks to bug me.

• AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    I still don't know why girls who are drawn to be physically attractive is such a huge deal.

Is this the first time people have seen a fighting game/anything remotely anime inspired?

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    Antihippy wrote: »
    I still don't know why girls who are drawn to be physically attractive is such a huge deal.

Is this the first time people have seen a fighting game/anything remotely anime inspired?

being prevalent doesn't make it any less awful

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    except no one complains about it in other non "anime games", or refuses to buy the game because of it

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
    Antihippy wrote: »

being prevalent doesn't make it any less awful

Except I don't understand what's incredibly awful about it. It's not really just anime inspired art/games either. Fantasy/sci fi art, or just fine art really throughout the ages has used the imagery of the women's body as an object of sexual fetishism and beauty (the male body too), why is skullgirls especially awful about it?

• RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    It's all about presentation. No one's asking for the girls in the game to be like a female Rufus, but that doesn't mean they have to have their boobs flopping about and their undies slipping out of their skirts all the time, either. You can make a character attractive looking without it being raunchy, and the T&A characters in this game are closer to being raunchy than not. But as if this discussion isn't beating a dead horse with its also dead brother of a horse...

Also...hell, I'd like to see a feminine version of Rufus for once in a fighting game. Has it ever been done even once, anywhere?

Also also, does anyone have any places they've been checking for combos or anything? I'm really kind of lost on what I should be trying to do in this game, granted I've barely played it so far anyway.

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    So I have no intentions to get the game because I am terrible at fighting games, but the one special attack I've seen in review vids that the nurse has where she dashes from side to side and leaves an ECG trail ending in a flatline is pretty much one of my favourite stylistic touches I've seen in ages.

Such a neat idea.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    edited April 2012
    It's all about presentation. No one's asking for the girls in the game to be like a female Rufus, but that doesn't mean they have to have their boobs flopping about and their undies slipping out of their skirts all the time, either. You can make a character attractive looking without it being raunchy, and the T&A characters in this game are closer to being raunchy than not. But as if this discussion isn't beating a dead horse with its also dead brother of a horse...

Also...hell, I'd like to see a feminine version of Rufus for once in a fighting game. Has it ever been done even once, anywhere?

Also also, does anyone have any places they've been checking for combos or anything? I'm really kind of lost on what I should be trying to do in this game, granted I've barely played it so far anyway.

Try dustloop.

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?175-Skullgirls-Gameplay-Discussion

Yeah, I know it is kind of a dead horse in this thread. The topic has just been on my mind recently, about sexual representation in art and games. If it's a turn off for you fair enough, but awful? In what way too, artistically or morally?

I would like to see a female version of rufus too.

Also this game needs to come out in australia already.

Antihippy on
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    i dunno, it just seems like part of the ridiculously over the top aesthetic, maybe even a commentary on the fgc/fighting games in general vs. an authentic belief by the creators that women should be objectified sexually

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
    I dunno, is the game representing the girls just as objects of sex, in how they act or behave? I haven't played the game yet but they don't seem that way to me.

As far as visuals go, sexuality is a part of the style but again I don't see what's so awful about it. The human body has been an object of sex for ages already, it's part of our nature, but that doesn't mean the character or person is a necessarily an object of sex just because of how they look. Which is a debate that's probably bigger than the scope of this thread.

edited April 2012
    i play 1v3 peacock so i dunno
    i'd say valentine is mostly, out of all of them

it's also part of her trope as sexy nurse ninja

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
    edited April 2012
    I despise Peacock but not enough to ragequit. It seems playing as Peacock and Double together is a thing that pisses people off.

This is vague on their part, but apparently Skullgirls is selling well. COME AT ME CAPCOM

Cantido on
    That's great to hear.

I heard some indie developers have been kinda down on XBLA being bad at promoting stuff, but it's good to see skullgirls doing well.

i feel like a lot of people in the fgc knew about skullgirls, and the price point is just so low...

i wonder how many people purchasing it are buying it as like, maybe their first or second fighting game, and found out about it not through a fgc member etc.

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • AbsurðrAbsurðr Näkrå maximum fucking hellRegistered User regular
    except no one complains about it in other non "anime games", or refuses to buy the game because of it
    I'm not even sure where all this controversy came from. Are people actually refusing to buy this? If they are in any meaningful way besides a few internet posters, is it solely because of the visual style?

It is an unknown ip and an indie game, so I can understand why people would be wary of it selling itself using epic tits. If you didn't know the backstory behind the development, it would be easy to overlook the quality of the gameplay and see it as aiming for some quick teenage boys' money. Perhaps it triggers somewhat of an anime fanservice cash-in red flag?

I think, though, that it's less controversy and more a staggered cycle of commentary as people learn about or get the game. Every page or so someone pops in and says "well look at those knockers" and everyone chimes in their two cents.

As for the sexualization of people in entertainment, I'm sure there are scads of closed d&d threads on the topic :)

steam_sig.png
    it is a thing that people have said, on the internet.

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • AbsurðrAbsurðr Näkrå maximum fucking hellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    it is a thing that people have said, on the internet.
    Well let's write some essays on it, eh?

I actually wasn't going to purchase this right away, but I wanted to support them and that won out. I want them to push forward and get it onto steam where they will make crazy people money.

A good Peacock is super annoying. If you can keep the wall of projectiles up and stay teleporting, you're set.

How do you unlock the 9th color and the extra arenas?

Absurðr on
    steam_sig.png
    They did say steam support is coming.

Probably.

• fencatfencat Registered User regular
    Code found for 10th colour unlock!

A guy (I think its a guy :P) found it on the SRK forums, http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/10th-palette.158497/page-3 look for the big picture for the post.

steam_sig.png
  • DubiousAtBestDubiousAtBest Registered User regular
    So what's the situation with players on the 360 for this game? I kind of want this game, but I'm afraid it'll immediately die off like SFxT did on this forum.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    was getting my ass handed to me by a really good valentine, switched to painwheel and found out her weird angles are brutal against valentine's mostly horizontal combos. there where a few times where she ended a combo and left me hanging the perfect spot to start my own.
    i didn't even use my other characters

i'm playing it on 360

speaking of, i am on now if anyone wants to play. tag is Logos22

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
    oh jeez the lag, where you playing from?

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
    in am not even in that match, i tried joining but you already were in one

ok i'm not sure why it's not letting me join, i'm going to try inviting you
    it says my join is timing out

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
    ok i'm not sure why it's not letting me join, i'm going to try inviting you
    it says my join is timing out

same here, might be we have incompatible NAT settings or some shit

edited April 2012
    wait so who did i just fight?
    it was filia/cerebella\

okay i'm going to try inviting you again, i changed a setting

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    fencat wrote: »
    Code found for 10th colour unlock!

A guy (I think its a guy :P) found it on the SRK forums, http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/10th-palette.158497/page-3 look for the big picture for the post.

Any clue what game the code is from? It's supposed to be a code from an old
    Fighting game right?

• fencatfencat Registered User regular
    It SNES SF2 Mirror Match Enabled Code

steam_sig.png
  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    [...]also I guess they gotta splash the generic "hot" characters to sell/market better. no one would buy a game with double on the cover.

Double is what sold me on the game, actually. It's good that a game can put in stuff that appeals to those of us with weirder tastes. :winky:

FWnykYl.jpg
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    fencat wrote: »
    It SNES SF2 Mirror Match Enabled Code

That's right, there were no mirror matched in SF2 (pre championship edition) bought it on sega (my dad button mashed and kicked my ass :(. ). Didn't realize this code existed. Only played turbo on SNES.

Apparently advanced players are bitching about Lag Switching. Never heard of it until now but wow, people are babies.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Having mucked around in this game I have to say that the visuals aren't bugging me in the slightest and have actually started to grow on me since it all seems to make an odd sort of sense. Anyone getting on a soapbox to whine about it can eat a bag of dicks as far as I'm concerned.

Also, Peacock is my favoritist thing ever, I love the 20s slapstick influence and I'm naturally drawn to being a zoning bitch so yeah. I like being able to hold the button to drop an increasingly huge object and dance around the shadow throwing shit out there like COME AT ME BRO knowing that as long as that shadow is up, people are gonna be hesitant to do anything.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I despise Peacock but not enough to ragequit. It seems playing as Peacock and Double together is a thing that pisses people off.

This is vague on their part, but apparently Skullgirls is selling well. COME AT ME CAPCOM

Unfortunately, "doing well on xbl" is still really low numbers.

J3qcnBP.png
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »

Unfortunately, "doing well on xbl" is still really low numbers.

Then I blame dudebros for this.

Goddamn dudebros.

• AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    So what's the situation with players on the 360 for this game? I kind of want this game, but I'm afraid it'll immediately die off like SFxT did on this forum.

SFxT isn't dead on the PS3 around here; I'm sure there are still 360 players, just less vocal.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    I'm an avid player of SFxT as well, but because Capcom split the playerbase the thread just dies out. I still get a few regular PAers who play with me, so were out there.

Was debating on picking this game up but I still have an untouched copy of KoF 13 sitting on my shelf. :\

3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • DubiousAtBestDubiousAtBest Registered User regular
    Masume wrote: »
    I'm an avid player of SFxT as well, but because Capcom split the playerbase the thread just dies out. I still get a few regular PAers who play with me, so were out there.

Was debating on picking this game up but I still have an untouched copy of KoF 13 sitting on my shelf. :\

When I asked, I got a "..." response. I've added a few people, but I generally only see you online. Maybe my work cutting back on my hours will change that. If this game gets a 360 group going, I'll jump in. I'm not part of any other forums or anything, and none of my friends are into fighting games, so my options feel limited.

As for objections to this game, the art style initially turned me off as well, but that seems like the least valid reason to dislike this game. After seeing Mike Z talk about the game on UltraChen, it alleviated some of my fears about the game. I really hated MvC3's one-touch=death approach to gameplay, which this game seeks to avoid. One of the things that worries me is that splitting my time between BF3, ME3, SFxT, and Skullgirls will only insure my lack of competency in each.

• MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    Masume wrote: »

When I asked, I got a "..." response. I've added a few people, but I generally only see you online. Maybe my work cutting back on my hours will change that. If this game gets a 360 group going, I'll jump in. I'm not part of any other forums or anything, and none of my friends are into fighting games, so my options feel limited.

As for objections to this game, the art style initially turned me off as well, but that seems like the least valid reason to dislike this game. After seeing Mike Z talk about the game on UltraChen, it alleviated some of my fears about the game. I really hated MvC3's one-touch=death approach to gameplay, which this game seeks to avoid. One of the things that worries me is that splitting my time between BF3, ME3, SFxT, and Skullgirls will only insure my lack of competency in each.

I hear ya man, same thing on my end. I mostly play with you and a couple of other PAers and that's about it. Split between ME 2/3 and TOR time doesn't help either, plus like I said I have KoF 13 sitting there which I *know* is a game I will get into. I already had to drop Soulcal 5 like a rock which kind of sucks, because I enjoyed it and I was getting pretty damn good with my Mits.

3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume