As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Presidential Election Thread] All Hail the Liberty Rooster.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Breaking News: Mitt Romney infected with Sigma virus

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Why is what a random Democratic strategist says being imputed to the party and Obama?

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So how long do you think it will be before Romney announces his VP?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    So how long do you think it will be before Romney announces his VP?

Not until late in the summer is my guess. Unless he starts stumbling a lot.

I think they're going to have a hard time finding one.

Lh96QHG.png
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    VP announcements are always at the convention.

Palin wasn't. Nor was Biden (I think). So, no?

Lh96QHG.png
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    It'll be before the convention, but I'd put my money on somewhere around mid-June, subject to shift forward or backward based on the speaking abilities of whoever it is. If the pick can work a crowd in the way Romney needs, Romney may get them out on the campaign trail sooner rather than later. If the pick is risky, Romney may hold off and minimize the potential damage.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Why is what a random Democratic strategist says being imputed to the party and Obama?

Because the War on Women is killing the GOP and they need a way to counter that narrative. Which the media helpfully provides, because they want a close race more than anything. Some of them declared the women's issues talking points dead now that Hillary Rosen said something inarticulately. Seriously.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Because the War on Women is killing the GOP and they need a way to counter that narrative. Which the media helpfully provides, because they want a close race more than anything. Some of them declared the women's issues talking points dead now that Hillary Rosen said something inarticulately. Seriously.

Exactly. Plus, in spite of everything going on, there hasn't been an issue that's stuck to the President and the GOP to define the race yet. So...we're scrounging for anything, it seems.

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Maverick, dontcha know.

That phrase crashed and burned with John McCain's campaign years ago.

And Mitt Romney is just the maverick to bring it back.

Well it certainly fits the theme of him being a crazed automaton.

ohhSo.jpg

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    New graphic I glanced looking at my girlfriends facebook. One of her family posted a pictured depicting a "Pink"
    slip telling Obama that his services were no longer required and naming a bunch of stupid-ass reasons like the bail-outs they seem to have forgot worked.

But what really gets me.

What drives me crazy is that they had the nerve to sign it "We the people". Lets ignore for a second that currently Obama is ahead in the polls so no.
    What really gets me is that they have the nerve to try to claim that all of America agrees with them. That's just frustrating. That they are essentially pointing at me, at everybody, and saying "that guy agrees with me!".

Quire.jpg
    Well, actually they're probably bitching about the bank bailout. Which was... Bush. Huzzah!

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Yeah, I wrestled with which way to take that for a few minutes before deciding they probably arn't aware that the two were handled differently nor care. So I picked the argument that didn't require me to say "but your guys did it, too!".

Quire.jpg
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    New graphic I glanced looking at my girlfriends facebook. One of her family posted a pictured depicting a "Pink"
    slip telling Obama that his services were no longer required and naming a bunch of stupid-ass reasons like the bail-outs they seem to have forgot worked.

But what really gets me.

What drives me crazy is that they had the nerve to sign it "We the people". Lets ignore for a second that currently Obama is ahead in the polls so no.
    What really gets me is that they have the nerve to try to claim that all of America agrees with them. That's just frustrating. That they are essentially pointing at me, at everybody, and saying "that guy agrees with me!".

That's the way the right has always framed it's message.

They are the silent majority/persecuted minority.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

But what really gets me.

That's the way the right has always framed it's message.

They are the silent majority/persecuted minority.

Both

Simultaneously

fuck gendered marketing
  • The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Quantum electorate?

EDIT: The state of being that also enables 'get your government hands off my Medicare'

The Fourth Estate on
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Schrodinger's electorate.

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Well.

Here's something that has nothing to do with women who stay at home.
    CARTAGENA, Colombia — Twelve Secret Service agents assigned to this port city in advance of President Obama’s arrival for the Summit of the Americas were relieved of duty, amid accusations of misconduct that is said to have involved prostitution, a government official confirmed Friday.

Apparently it is legal in parts of Columbia. But I'm sure that won't matter for the story at large.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    The RCP average just went from 5.3 %+ to 2.6%+ for Obama, showing again how damn volatile things are even with regular polling.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

But what really gets me.

Obama supporters are not people, duh. Don't you pay attention to how the right-wing frames people who aren't with them?

• LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Sometimes I wish I had crazy conservative friends to change up my facebook conversations. Usually it goes "post something crazy repubs are doing, everyone agrees with post and likes and shares". Le sigh.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    Sometimes I wish I had crazy conservative friends to change up my facebook conversations. Usually it goes "post something crazy repubs are doing, everyone agrees with post and likes and shares". Le sigh.

Yeah, same. My one Republican friend who would debate me on things eventually unfriended me a long time ago. There's another who, when I first met her, said she's Republican, but nothing about her life / viewpoints suggests being one. I need to ask her point blank if she still considers herself one because she agrees with everything (or is in shock / outrage at everything like me).

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular

But what really gets me.

Obama supporters are not people, duh. Don't you pay attention to how the right-wing frames people who aren't with them?

Didn't we all become Christian Republicans after the recent attack on hospitals rights to not give out Murder Baby Pills?

Absalon wrote: »
    The RCP average just went from 5.3 %+ to 2.6%+ for Obama, showing again how damn volatile things are even with regular polling.

I'm guessing because they included a hilariously skewed Fox News poll that manufactures a 2 point Romney lead by making 40% of the electorate Republican?

I'm guessing because they included a hilariously skewed Fox News poll that manufactures a 2 point Romney lead by making 40% of the electorate Republican?

Could also be a bounce Romney gets for securing the nomination? (lol gingrich/paul)

Lh96QHG.png
    edited April 2012

Could also be a bounce Romney gets for securing the nomination? (lol gingrich/paul)

Haven't seen it. I pay attention to this stuff, I just haven't done the math to check if that's where RCP's number comes from. Wouldn't surprise me as they tend to lean conservative in which polls they include.

EDIT: Ooh, Rasmussen "found" (manufactured) a big bounce. Just like they found Romney down 11 in Massachusetts. HEE

enlightenedbum on
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    My best friend is who I debate most political stuff with. He self-describes as libertarian, and he's generally pretty conservative, but he's also practical.

Like, he's in favor of voter ID laws....as long as said IDs are completely and totally free. Since the current ID system we have is anything but free, he's opposed to voter ID laws.

He's staunchly opposed to most gun regulation, because it violates the 2nd amendment ("shall not be infringed"). But he doesn't think that means no gun laws. He thinks that means we need to repeal the 2nd amendment.

etc.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Tox wrote: »
    My best friend is who I debate most political stuff with. He self-describes as libertarian, and he's generally pretty conservative, but he's also practical.

Like, he's in favor of voter ID laws....as long as said IDs are completely and totally free. Since the current ID system we have is anything but free, he's opposed to voter ID laws.

He's staunchly opposed to most gun regulation, because it violates the 2nd amendment ("shall not be infringed"). But he doesn't think that means no gun laws. He thinks that means we need to repeal the 2nd amendment.

etc.

You're friends pretty much not a libertarian then.

Lh96QHG.png
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    What is the actual definition of being a Libertarian? Basically no government intervention in anything, minimal if any taxes and a focus on individual rights and responsibilities?

steam_sig.png
    Tox wrote: »

etc.

You're friends pretty much not a libertarian then.

No yeah I know. He's a weird dude, and seriously is a total Paultard (and will vote for Romney anyway because he doesn't think we should Re-Nig). But, yeah.

chrisnl wrote: »
    What is the actual definition of being a Libertarian? Basically no government intervention in anything, minimal if any taxes and a focus on individual rights and responsibilities?

In my experience libertarians are a made up distinction. I flirted with it in high school, but upon further investigation it doesn't really mean anything.

Lh96QHG.png
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »

Yeah, same. My one Republican friend who would debate me on things eventually unfriended me a long time ago. There's another who, when I first met her, said she's Republican, but nothing about her life / viewpoints suggests being one. I need to ask her point blank if she still considers herself one because she agrees with everything (or is in shock / outrage at everything like me).
    It's fun for a little bit, but then you have to deal with people you otherwise respect posting about secret Muslims and shit and it's horrible.

PAD ID - 328,762,218

http://www.lp.org/platform

That's the Libertarian Party's platform. It's pretty liberal on most points, but actual Libertarians are far more oppressive in practice (since they're usually conservatives).

Really practical libertarians are conservatives who call themselves that so they can seem more nuanced and edgy while taking away people's rights.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

This question was forced here on the board to various self proclaiming Libertarians. The closest one came to an actual answer was "Pro liberty".

I've done this before in real life too, and generally the second you start asking questions about the consequences of no healthcare, welfare, etc Libertarians tend to either quickly shift in to the conservative or liberal norm or be sociopaths.

Reading through their official platform linked above, it appears they want to give back the US to the native peoples. Unless "Where property, including land, has been taken from its rightful owners by the government or private action in violation of individual rights, we favor restitution to the rightful owners." doesn't mean what I think it means.

And that's just one small bit of the silly goosery evident on that page.

steam_sig.png
  • CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I think you can make the case of libertarian beliefs or practices when it's applied in the context of a sliding scale in contrast with authoritarianism, however as a hard and fast ideology/political system it seems intellectually bankrupt outside of academic discussions (i/e not in real world applications). It's almost like a yin to communism's yang when it comes to government: it has things that may sound great on paper, but when it comes to finally walking the talk you end up making numerous compromises to the point where it is only a shadow of the "pure" idea.

CptKemzik on
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Reading through their official platform linked above, it appears they want to give back the US to the native peoples. Unless "Where property, including land, has been taken from its rightful owners by the government or private action in violation of individual rights, we favor restitution to the rightful owners." doesn't mean what I think it means.

I think that's meant to be in regards to eminent domain.

ACsTqqK.jpg
    Astaereth wrote: »

Oh you are likely right, however the way it is written could easily be applied to all sorts of things they don't intend.

steam_sig.png
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »

Oh you are likely right, however the way it is written could easily be applied to all sorts of things they don't intend.

Libertarianism; meet nutshell

PAD ID - 328,762,218
This discussion has been closed.