As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Legend of Grimrock] is out now!

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Basic warriors really do feel quite boring. I don't hate them or anything, but rogues and mages feel like they have so many more options within this already limited system.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    Ok. Back in the day, were there ever these kind of balance issue discussions when it came to Dungeon Master? I can't remember them... (all I remember is 644, 644, 644, 644...)

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Basic warriors really do feel quite boring. I don't hate them or anything, but rogues and mages feel like they have so many more options within this already limited system.

I like mages but rogues seem pretty much the same as warriors to me, right click on their weapon while dodging about until the thing i want to die is dead,no activatable abilities or anything. Sure i can pick between weapon types, and they dodge instead of absorbing damage, but it all boils down the same in the end.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    My party just made level 10 after fighting some friendly fire things* in a hidden area on level 5 that weren't all that bad. They are real nice. You should all go hug them.

*gigantic angry flaming armored elemental warrior spirits

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    On level 6 so far. My mage died on the little *surprise*, so I've been carrying a dead corpse around for a bit. Also: damn, I've never felt this stumped on some puzzles. You *know* there's an answer, and it feels glorious when you get it. But in the mean time? Ugh...

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Oh, damnit.

Level 2:
    So the patient man totally beat the demon's gaze by dropping something on it's pressure plate and walking away. Came back in a bit... oh shit 4x skeleton pack. And there goes my front-line fighters.

The previous pack I had "dealt" with by luring them backwards and dropping them down that pit. (The one that has the key on the other side and you've gotta throw a rock across.)

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    So is it actually possible to sneak past monsters? Just finished the game and want to give it another go, maybe with some stealth :p

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Floor 6:
    So here I am, trying to guess what "Walkabout" is all about, when suddenly a frikken skeleton warrior spawns in the square exactly in front of me. Scared the crap outta me for half a second there.

Still haven't figured it out...

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    Floor 6:
    So here I am, trying to guess what "Walkabout" is all about, when suddenly a frikken skeleton warrior spawns in the square exactly in front of me. Scared the crap outta me for half a second there.

Still haven't figured it out...

It's there to give you a fighting chance.

Steam: Spawnbroker
    Fighter's challenge done.

Everyone that managed to do it while keeping all 4 of their character's upright, raise your hands.

*hangs head in shame*

Capture.jpg~original
  • busfahrerbusfahrer addict GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

I like mages but rogues seem pretty much the same as warriors to me, right click on their weapon while dodging about until the thing i want to die is dead,no activatable abilities or anything. Sure i can pick between weapon types, and they dodge instead of absorbing damage, but it all boils down the same in the end.

Wait, can you dodge manually in this game? Or do you mean the x percent chance a character has to evade an attack?

busfahrer on
    B2b1M.gif
    Twitter: busfahrer -- Quake Live: busfahrer -- StarCraft II: busfahrer.184 (EU)
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    I think I'm stuck on floor 2
    I got one key from the holding cells, I'm guessing the other one is in the room with 'no weapons allowed inside' written on the wall next to it. I've tried unequipping everything and then I tried removing everything from my inventory but it still doesn't open. Does it actually have anything to do with not using any weapons?

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    I got one key from the holding cells, I'm guessing the other one is in the room with 'no weapons allowed inside' written on the wall next to it. I've tried unequipping everything and then I tried removing everything from my inventory but it still doesn't open. Does it actually have anything to do with not using any weapons?
    Place a weapon on the shelf next to the door.

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    busfahrer wrote: »

Wait, can you dodge manually in this game? Or do you mean the x percent chance a character has to evade an attack?
    Just move out of range before the enemy attacks

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited April 2012
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    Rami wrote: »
    Place a weapon on the shelf next to the door.

Thanks.

So i'm pretty deep into floor 3 and I just got destroyed by posion. How do you bring people back to life? Can you? Cause I'm dumb and have saved the game maybe twice in the 3 hours I've been playing it.

e: oh well lost about 45m progress.

fucking spiders

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Touch the blue stone, come on you know you wanna (to bring everybody back to full health, including the deceased).

steam_sig.png
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    so far the mage has contributed absolutely nothing into the party. cant even cast any spells.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
    I picked up my first spell fairly quickly, and a single character can easily despatch those stupid snails.

sig.gif
    edited April 2012
    so far the mage has contributed absolutely nothing into the party. cant even cast any spells.

This isn't too big a spoiler, IMO it's something everyone should know:

The first spell unlocks at 2-4 points in a given elemental skill. Check the unlock list in-game, it's right there at character creation. In other words, invest enough at creation to earn your spell.

You will not know what this spell is exactly. You are intended to discover it on scrolls as you play the game, but that sucks. They don't give you any spell scrolls for certain elements for ages, assuming you even find them.

But you can cast spells before you officially find the scrolls, if you know the right runes to punch in. The four corners of the rune panel represent each of the four elements. The first spell of each element (except for one) is simply clicking the element (i.e. one of the corners) and casting it.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I feel bad for anyone who made it to the first (?) ogre and didn't realize you had to strafe attack in the game instead of 'tanking'.

• ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I assume for your mage you want at least 2 elements with points in, in case you run into an enemy with resistance and/or immunity?

I think I'm going to go fire/air

Shurakai on
    Shurakai wrote: »
    I assume for your mage you want at least 2 elements with points in, in case you run into an enemy with resistance and/or immunity?

I think I'm going to go fire/air

Yes, but the spellcraft skill is also very useful and worth investing in heavily...and you really don't have enough skill points for three. Tough choices. Glad I have two mages.

Spoilers on the subject of element choices:
    Air is excellent. It gets an extra spell that the other elements don't that is pretty cool, and it seems like few enemies resist shock damage.

Fire is excellent. Fireball is a good solid spell to use regularly...and I've heard there is one item that actually boosts its power specifically, with no such item existing for other spells.

Ice is probably the best. Its "weak" spell is ranged, unlike all the rest, and even better than that, it doesn't stop at the first enemy it hits. Its powerful spell is the only magical status effect in the game, the ability to freeze monsters.

Earth is poopy.

• IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    I ended up going into most of the trees for elemental shields. It might be a good idea, or it can blow up in my face like most of the spells I accidentally cast against a wall.

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    So is it just me, or does level 6 seem to be a fantastic spot for grinding out xp, if you're so inclined to do such a thing?
    There appear to be infinitely-spawning snails in the room on the wall to the Maze of Madness, and not only are there infinite skeleton warriors in the Haunted Halls, but the fire elementals in the pit trap room respawn for 500 xp each.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    So is there any in-game hint for the Pillared Hallway? I found some weird note earlier about how a 'She' moves in the level, but I can't rightly see how I'd apply it here.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    hallway
    She slithers as a snake, first on the left and then on the right. The order is in the scroll

wbBv3fj.png
    Yeah I figured it out. Sadly, apparently I need the Bone Amulet for an item and I have no clue where I dropped it. Doubt there is any way to even remotely find out, either.

Last Night I spent over an hour trying to solve the very first puzzle in the pillars of light level. Today I get up and solve it within 2 minutes. Yay for unconscious thought processes!

B2b1M.gif
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    Yeah I figured it out. Sadly, apparently I need the Bone Amulet for an item and I have no clue where I dropped it. Doubt there is any way to even remotely find out, either.

A unique item with no apparent purpose and you threw it away? Self inflicted injury.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    You only need one spell tree, your mage can equip a bow/crossbow for the fights where immunities factor in. You do not have a lot of skill points in this game and Spellcraft is really really good. Trying to cover 2 elements AND Spellcraft is just going to dilute your character.

Earth isn't totally useless: poison resistance :P but yeah, Frost is where the awesome is at.

Capture.jpg~original
    Amazing. They even have the same locations for hidden buttons. The nostalgia is strong!

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • VerboseVerbose That one guy over there. That guy. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Actually about hidden button locations:
    There is actually, at least for the second dungeon tileset, there is at least one instance of a different hidden button, that of a barely noticeable rune etched on a block that pushes in. I have no idea if there are instances of this hidden switch other than the one I found but hey there you go.

And I finally need help with a puzzle. Level 10:
    I'm stuck at the 5 switches on the wall. The note by Toorum nearby says to look at the pillars but I SEE NOTHING...? Help is appreciated.
    Scratch that I just got it. Ugh I actually had the right combo several times, I was just expecting something to happen audibly.

Verbose on
  • Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Verbose wrote: »
    Actually about hidden button locations:
    There is actually, at least for the second dungeon tileset, there is at least one instance of a different hidden button, that of a barely noticeable rune etched on a block that pushes in. I have no idea if there are instances of this hidden switch other than the one I found but hey there you go.

I was just about to ask if I should keep bothering to continue looking for secret buttons besides the obvious one.

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I'm only about an hour in and already having more fun than I've had in a lonnnnnng time.

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    So I've gone with a Mace/Armour fighter (str/vit), a Sword/Athletics fighter (str/dex), a Dagger/Assassination rogue (dex/str) and an Air mage (WP/Vit). Let's see how this works.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    I thought minotaurs would be stronger than humans, but my minotaur warrior is weak as hell. Dies twice as fast as my human warrior. And I'm only on level two or three, so basically not much armor.

Omg. The level 9 monsters are the cutest things EVER. I cry a little inside whenever I kill and eat them.

Capture.jpg~original
    I just got the backstabber achievement while hitting some eggs.

B2b1M.gif
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Man I uh, I think I'm terrible at this. I made a mino Warrior, a Human missile Rogue, a dagger rogue and a wizard and I am getting stomped. I've died like 3 times and I just got to level 2. :(

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Oh, damnit.

Level 2:
    So the patient man totally beat the demon's gaze by dropping something on it's pressure plate and walking away. Came back in a bit... oh shit 4x skeleton pack. And there goes my front-line fighters.

The previous pack I had "dealt" with by luring them backwards and dropping them down that pit. (The one that has the key on the other side and you've gotta throw a rock across.)

The first one of those scared the hell out of me, because I *saw* them walking around first, but thought it was seperate ones.
    I figured the best way to be patient would be to go to sleep and heal up some damage only to be awoken by "shk shk shk shk."

Kelor on