As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Avengers have assembled! (pretty much just the Marvel movie thread now with some comics)

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    That's from one of trailers/commercial spots. It's on tv constantly.

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Yeah that's been in several tv trailers.

camo_sig2.png
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Just read up on the Chitauri. I like the limits and advantages they have compared to the Skrull.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Am I imagining things or are people seriously acting like the identity of Loki's army is something that doesn't need to be in spoiler tags?

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Am I imagining things or are people seriously acting like the identity of Loki's army is something that doesn't need to be in spoiler tags?

Knowing or not knowing their identity apparently has zero effect on the movie.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

Knowing or not knowing their identity apparently has zero effect on the movie.

omg you're spoilering the relevance of them! SPOILERTH!

But seriously, this argument gets dragged out, beat to death, and resurrected every time something like this happens. The movie isn't out yet, it's a fucking button, and some people make a point to go into media blackouts when a movie they really want to see is coming out.

AND SINCE THIS THREAD IS ABOUT THE COMIC BOOKS TOO, it's rude to suggest they just stay away until they see it. So how about we all just click the button, and if it makes you feel any better you can call me an asshole every time you click it to spoiler something.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    edited April 2012
    Oh, I agree they should use spoiler tags too: I'm just letting people know that they didn't get as spoiled as he might be worried they did.

Undead Scottsman on
    Oh, I agree they should use spoiler tags too: I'm just letting people know that they didn't get as spoiled as he might be worried they did.

Generally the identity of a monster/monstrous bad guy is not the issue. It's the reveal. The reveal of "oh my god what is that! It looks so evil!"

Which, you know, has been spoiled for those on media blackouts who come into this thread and see that.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

Generally the identity of a monster/monstrous bad guy is not the issue. It's the reveal. The reveal of "oh my god what is that! It looks so evil!"

Which, you know, has been spoiled for those on media blackouts who come into this thread and see that.

It's in the trailers. That show up on television. If you're on a media blackout, perhaps the thread about the movie is a bad place to be?

Lh96QHG.png

My initial comment was directed towards Centipede, who was talking about the identity, not the reveal.

It's in the trailers. That show up on television. If you're on a media blackout, perhaps the thread about the movie is a bad place to be?

Or just use the spoiler functionality put into this forum for this very reason and save everybody a headache. Give a hoot, use a spoiler tag!

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

I don't think you're reading what he said very well. People may have seen the trailers, but the trailers don't say who they are, even if there is a split-second closeup on one of their faces.

AND SINCE THIS THREAD IS ABOUT THE COMIC BOOKS TOO, it's rude to suggest they just stay away until they see it. So how about we all just click the button, and if it makes you feel any better you can call me an asshole every time you click it to spoiler something.

• The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    I think his point is that it's not important. It's like whining because WHAT HE GOES BY IRON MAN COME ON THAT'S SUCH A HUGE REVEAL
    The fuck it is.
    Spoiler alert, Thor is an Asgardian.
    The Hulk gets mad and smashes stuff.
    Iron Man drinks.

It's not like they said "Loki summons Megatron and then they join forces to resurrect Jesus as an evil mastermind" and ruined the plot.

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Tox
    Asshole!

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

I don't think you're an asshole because you don't want to be spoiled.

I mean, this response moves you a bit in that direction, I'm just saying, that if someone sees that on television they're probably not thinking "Hey, I bet no one else has seen it."

Lh96QHG.png
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I'm trying to decide the level of face palm to use here. The SE+ thread is more sane than the D&D thread.

Instead I'm going to go with this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YnQdBD2y64

• LouieLouie Registered User regular
    Just got back from seeing this with @adda and wow was it good. Will post up some detailed stuff later but the dialogue was awesome and the action was exciting and had a very comic book feel.

Any questions and I will answer in spoiler tags.

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
    edited April 2012
    I am as green as the Hulk with my rage and jealousy.

Undead Scottsman on
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Yes yes yes. As a big fan of The Ultimates comics (or the first few runs before ultimatum) I was really nervous about this but it had the best dialog and pacing of the marvel films and the lack of backstory scenes due to the previous films made it even better.

A++ Would see again, all my dicks, etc etc

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
    Louie wrote: »
    Just got back from seeing this with @adda and wow was it good. Will post up some detailed stuff later but the dialogue was awesome and the action was exciting and had a very comic book feel.

Obvious question is obvious, but.

The fucking alien army. 'xplain?

The Chitauri
    Loki strikes a deal with an unnamed person to take command of their army (mega spoiler next)
    revealed in the end credits sequence as (last chance)
    Thanos

camo_sig.png
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Calling it now: Thor 2 will have Beta Ray Bill, and he will be a Chitauri

The faces on them bare a striking resemblance (minus the orange color)
    alllll.png

You're free to disagree, of course.

Holy crap. That right there is some top-shelf ugly alien. I think he even has a cold. Disgusting.

So here are my thoughts, i will put them in spoilers so I don't annoy anyone. I won't spoil major plot lines within but will talk in general about the flow of the movie and stuff i liked. I don't recommend reading if you want to be totally surprised by all of it.
    I was so excited for this but I don't think I was quite ready for how good it was going to be. In previous marvel films I have really enjoyed the Universe building and the dialogue has been great but when the action has really ramped up then the movies had a tendency to fall flat.

The action in this just felt great whether it was on a small or large scale with the team working well together in combos that just screamed comic book action panels. Hulk in particular is done so well and really steals the show in my opinion. A very Ultimates Hulk inspired performance.

The dialogue and one liners throughout were very good, the Marvel movies to date have had comic moments and combining that with Whedon's snappy directing meant that the laughs were thick and fast but never detracting from the "seriousness" of any scene. My only minor complaint on this was that at times I felt the movie was just a tad too Iron Man centric and despite not enjoying Captain America (the movie, I really enjoyed the performance of Evans, in this especially) as much as I would have liked, I don't feel he gets quite enough screen time. None of the other characters are by any means ancillary and Whedon does a good job of fleshing out the likes of Black Widow and Hawkeye while not compromising on pace and at the same time building more layers into the other Avengers.

Other reviews have said how the first and second acts don't quite match up but while I agree that the third act is phenomenal, I still thought the preceeding acts were excellent.

In summary I would say that if you read comics and you know that really satisfying feeling you get when you have sat and read a whole tpb or hardcover in one sitting and you have a big shit eating grin on your face the whole way through - this film does exactly that.

camo_sig.png
  • MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    Hmm appears for once I shall see a movie before Americans...

Is this time for revenge - aka spoil the fuck out of everything and say "What? You haven't got it yet? What kind of backwards place do you live?"

Don't worry, I won't - but for once evil is tempting.

• IriahIriah Registered User regular
    Hey - what does the movie do with Maria Hill?

• MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    Iriah wrote: »

I was actually going to ask te same question. What's up with her?

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
    Matrias wrote: »

I assume it's to help with the situation of "I'm Nick Fury, head of SHIELD, and these are all my faceless underlings. And Agent Coulson."

Hopefully it's a bit more than her typing at a console using a touchscreen and reporting on the unfolding events of the invasion.

• PonyPony Registered User regular

I assume it's to help with the situation of "I'm Nick Fury, head of SHIELD, and these are all my faceless underlings. And Agent Coulson."

Hopefully it's a bit more than her typing at a console using a touchscreen and reporting on the unfolding events of the invasion.

she's like sigourney weaver in galaxy quest

Pony wrote: »

So her costume gets ripped progressively more and more open over the course of the movie?

I'm down.

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »

So her costume gets ripped progressively more and more open over the course of the movie?

I'm down.

that wasn't what i thought i meant by that

but maybe in my heart, it was

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    What makes me really hyped up is that the character that I was most expecting to get kind of pushed to the side apparently completely stole the show.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Winky wrote: »
    What makes me really hyped up is that the character that I was most expecting to get kind of pushed to the side apparently completely stole the show.
    Hulk?
    Yeah, everyone has been saying that the Hulk made an extremely strong showing.

Winky on
    Hulk?

Hulk?
    Yeah, everyone has been saying that the Hulk made an extremely strong showing.

You might even say
    He was
    8-)
    a smash

• AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular

Spoilered again if people don't want to read about her role in the film
    She acts like second in command to fury (which I guess she is?), chafes a little at his authority. Is involved in a car chase and some shooting but no major character/plot stuff.
    Does get progressively dirtier/cut/injured but no apparent clothing tearing. Real battle damage!

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

The Chitauri
    Loki strikes a deal with an unnamed person to take command of their army (mega spoiler next)
    revealed in the end credits sequence as (last chance)
    Thanos

Unf.

If we get that scene.

I don't even.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    New scene on movies.msn (I got to it via a Facebook link) with a nice dialog between Loki and Fury. Also shows some of the scenes previously shown in trailers in their proper context.

Someone wanna provide a link?

newSig.jpg
    The Avengers trailer big and proper in front of John Carter last night.

Gave some proper context to one scene in particular, that I didn't see before because it was hidden very, very, well.

It showed Iron Man single-handedly trying to stave off a major contingent of the army pouring through a gigantic portal in the sky.

I think the 'alien invasion' angle is particularly interesting, especially after Iron Man 2's whole 'privatize World Peace' spiel that Stark gave congress.

• DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    New scene on movies.msn (I got to it via a Facebook link) with a nice dialog between Loki and Fury. Also shows some of the scenes previously shown in trailers in their proper context.

Someone wanna provide a link?

Here you go:

http://movies.msn.com/movies/movie-trailers/#/video/5706d93b-ebf4-4d55-8130-37740888518b/

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
This discussion has been closed.