As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You Are Now Free To Move About The Cabin

• Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    @Slider

I don't think ceres will ban you for posting in here.

Hahahaha

What kills me about this is now he works as TSA in Seattle!

Security in the US is nothing compared to the security I went through flying in/out of Kuwait/UAE. Had my passport and bags checked at least 6 times. The size of the planes was worth it though.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Harrier wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    Janson wrote: »
    Booo!

US security is a bitch, full stop. And they can't even be polite about it half the time.

I've actually had few problems, but a few friends of mine have been treated pretty poorly.

Last time we flew, Mori and I were grilled more *returning* to the US than Mori had been entering the UK! They demanded to know so much. (Btw; me entering the UK? Took three seconds - I didn't even have to say a word to anyone!) Also, the US is still the only country to demand all ten of my fingerprints and to know how I've funded my trip.

I think they take fingerprints of all foreign nationals.... although come to think of it, I am not sure about this. I will ask my girlfriend. She didn't have that much to say about the process, other than it took fucking forever (LAX, hurrrrrrrgh).

Oh no, I know they do. I'm saying other countries don't.

But those other countries aren't AMERICA.

=D Sorry. Most of the TSA stuff doesn't really faze me because I don't feel like it really adds all that much additional time to the whole process if you just go through the motions, but generally speaking arriving in another Country has been a more pleasant, even joyful experience than coming back through Homeland Security.

I don't think there's a BIG difference, but there's definitely *a* difference.
    The convenience or lack thereof bothers me less than the fact that they literally have no right to do some of this stuff.
    In the sense of there are no laws that allow it or in the sense of it's a violation of your basic civil rights?

Either way, my experience with travel has been "When in Rome..." and not spend a lot of time getting indignant over something that costs me less than 15 minutes total anyway out of a grand total of 20-or-so hours of travel.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    You have a few horror stories on the visa forums

One lady's fiancé was detained, thrown in jail overnight and sent back home the next morning without being permitted to contact her

His crime? They felt he'd made one too many trips (it was his fourth in a year, although he'd only visited for a couple of weeks each time, and he certainly hadn't broken the terms of the visa waiver program) and he LOOKED tough (tattoos, beard). That was all

Same thing happened to a brother of one of my dad's employees... He had applied for a tourist visa once, but been denied, and he didn't realise that when they ask on the form if you've ever been denied a visa that they're talking about resident visas. He checked 'yes', and was sent straight back home without even being allowed to explain why

Also the US is the only country that permits itself to take your laptop and legally demand to know the passwords for everything on it

And of course you have all the news horror stories... Of course it may not happen to YOU, but I'm sure it was pretty traumatic for the 90 year old grandmother/disabled boy/young mother

That's pretty outrageous.

Being in jail is no fun.

I don't think it needs to happen to a 90 year old to be outraged by that kind of stuff.

sarukun on
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    security theater is horseshit and stupid and literally does nothing

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Booo!

US security is a bitch, full stop. And they can't even be polite about it half the time.

I've actually had few problems, but a few friends of mine have been treated pretty poorly.

Last time we flew, Mori and I were grilled more *returning* to the US than Mori had been entering the UK! They demanded to know so much. (Btw; me entering the UK? Took three seconds - I didn't even have to say a word to anyone!) Also, the US is still the only country to demand all ten of my fingerprints and to know how I've funded my trip.

I think they take fingerprints of all foreign nationals.... although come to think of it, I am not sure about this. I will ask my girlfriend. She didn't have that much to say about the process, other than it took fucking forever (LAX, hurrrrrrrgh).

=D Sorry. Most of the TSA stuff doesn't really faze me because I don't feel like it really adds all that much additional time to the whole process if you just go through the motions, but generally speaking arriving in another Country has been a more pleasant, even joyful experience than coming back through Homeland Security.

The convenience or lack thereof bothers me less than the fact that they literally have no right to do some of this stuff.
    In the sense of there are no laws that allow it or in the sense of it's a violation of your basic civil rights?

Either way, my experience with travel has been "When in Rome..." and not spend a lot of time getting indignant over something that costs me less than 15 minutes total anyway out of a grand total of 20-or-so hours of travel.

It's also security overkill trending towards ineffective.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Pharezon wrote: »
    Booo!

It's also security overkill trending towards ineffective.

Inefficient is the thing that pisses me off.

All that shit costs a tooooooon of money, which is of course passed on to you, the consumer.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Why can't they just have packs and packs of bomb/narcotics-sniffing dogs? Or maybe they can train other animals. Like rats. I thought I heard something about bomb-sniffing rats? Yeah. Well, everyone likes dogs, if they instituted a policy of mandatory sniff-downs I don't think people would mind too much so long as they could pet the dogs afterward.
    dog allergies

• Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    Why can't they just have packs and packs of bomb/narcotics-sniffing dogs? Or maybe they can train other animals. Like rats. I thought I heard something about bomb-sniffing rats? Yeah. Well, everyone likes dogs, if they instituted a policy of mandatory sniff-downs I don't think people would mind too much so long as they could pet the dogs afterward.

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    airports are the only place where you're presumed to be a criminal from the moment you walk in the door

it's stupid

• Options
    Buttlord wrote: »
    airports are the only place where you're presumed to be a criminal from the moment you walk in the door

it's stupid

The airport is like the DMV but there's a totally sweet adventure at the end. You get through it and unless you threaten the staff with physical violence, it's over and you get to do the rad shit you wanted to do.

I wish they were more welcoming to foreigners, though. Our visa shit and the procedures visitors to this country are asked to go through is pretty excessive.

• Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    I flew for the first time in 10 years a few weeks ago.
    It was crazy!
    Made me want to travel more!!!

• Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    Booo!

Next they'll mandate patdowns for all passengers, and we'll say nothing. Then they'll make us fingerprint as we go through security, and we'll say nothing.

It's tyranny by a thousand cuts. I have no intention of going along with it.

I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    Booo!

Next they'll mandate patdowns for all passengers, and we'll say nothing. Then they'll make us fingerprint as we go through security, and we'll say nothing.

It's tyranny by a thousand cuts. I have no intention of going along with it.

That's horse shit.

And I have been patted down by airport security. Took 5 minutes of my time and then I got on the plane.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    So is there anything one can do for the eardrums thing, aside from gum/sucking on candy? Coming down is always super painful, and since it's ear pressure it does not respond to general things like acetomeniphen or any of the other normal OTC painkillers, and I sure as hell don't want to take the real deal, as those make me loopy (Though I did take a few on the way back from India so I would sleep, as opposed to the sleepless 14hr no windows open, middle seat in a cattle car that was the trip over.)

• Options
    Can you change the pressure in your ears at will?

It occurs to me I have never asked any one this question before.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Last time I was on a plane, I had a window seat!

But I was by the wing!!!

Kj1ct.jpg

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    Last time I was on a plane, I had a window seat!

But I was by the wing!!!

Kj1ct.jpg

The Robot Chicken sketch for this is fantastic.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    8aKMJ.jpg

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    So is there anything one can do for the eardrums thing, aside from gum/sucking on candy? Coming down is always super painful, and since it's ear pressure it does not respond to general things like acetomeniphen or any of the other normal OTC painkillers, and I sure as hell don't want to take the real deal, as those make me loopy (Though I did take a few on the way back from India so I would sleep, as opposed to the sleepless 14hr no windows open, middle seat in a cattle car that was the trip over.)

Mucinex or something else with guaifenesin in it, it's an expectorant but essentially thins the mucus in your sinuses and eustachian tubes so it's easier to clear your ears.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Well, I can do that pinch my nose and blow thing, and that can get some pops, but never seems to do it completely, and the feeling scares me a little. It's really down to hurting for a few hours after landing, and having what I call "under water hearing" for a day or 2. It does not seem like hearing loss persay, but is just kind of like hearing through a blanket or...I am explaining this poorly. If other people can control their ear pressure I'd be curious to know about it! It was only recently I found out that most people DON'T associate pain with flying.

• Options
    I fly a bunch for work, so it's going to be nice to have an actual vacation where I don't have to be on time to anything when I get off the plane

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    airports are terrible. i like flying as much as any other kind of travelling i guess. i usually have screaming babies sitting next to me

• Options

Well, I can do that pinch my nose and blow thing, and that can get some pops, but never seems to do it completely, and the feeling scares me a little. It's really down to hurting for a few hours after landing, and having what I call "under water hearing" for a day or 2. It does not seem like hearing loss persay, but is just kind of like hearing through a blanket or...I am explaining this poorly. If other people can control their ear pressure I'd be curious to know about it! It was only recently I found out that most people DON'T associate pain with flying.

I don't know if it's because I had a lot of ear infections as a kid or tubes in my ears, or what, but adjusting the pressure in my ears has always been really easy for me. I increase the pressure by inhaling through my nose, and release it by exhaling, or sometimes as little as wiggling my ears. It's easier to do when you plug your nose, but it seems like it might be a lot more difficult for you. What you may want to do is actually practice it until you get comfortable with it. Learn the finer points of adjusting it outside of flying so that when you need to use it, you already know exactly how.

I'm having difficulty being more clear on how exactly to do it, I've never tried explaining it to anyone before.

• Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    As someone who works in the aircraft manufacturing industry, I'm getting a kick out of these replies.

I really enjoy flying, even commercial. The TSA stuff is annoying, but not so much for me since I'm flying out of a smaller airport ("Oh hey WuShock! Where are they sending you today? You join any terrorist organizations since Tuesday? No? Cool. Have fun in San Diego.") The only problems I've really had is American Airlines having the habit of botching the baggage handoff to British Airways.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    Usagi wrote: »
    I fly a bunch for work, so it's going to be nice to have an actual vacation where I don't have to be on time to anything when I get off the plane

Have you ever gotten off the plane somewhere where you don't speak the language?

I use to be absolutely terrified of it but I've done it enough now where it's kind of exciting. Trying to get to the hotel (or better yet, FINDING one) is pretty fun.

I'd like to do it in India some time. =P

• Options
    airports are terrible. i like flying as much as any other kind of travelling i guess. i usually have screaming babies sitting next to me

What is terrible about airports?

• Options
    detroit airport is the best thing about detroit

• Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    the airport in toulouse (in france) had armed soldiers there it was rad!

the scottish airport whose name i forgot was gross and tiny, but you could keep your shoes on going through it so its super worth it

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    the scottish airport whose name i forgot was gross and tiny, but you could keep your shoes on going through it so its super worth it

The major ones are Glasgow, Edinburgh, Prestwick, Aberdeen, Dundee, and Inverness.

• Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    i 100% do not remember its name, but it was probably a small one since i was just doing a quick transfer

• Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    france seems pretty gung-ho in terms of armed men at airports

we were in nice when I was in high school and we'd checked in early but there were about 4 seats in the entire airport so we all sat down in the middle of this huge entry hall, which I guess they didn't like because they came out with a bunch of gendarmes and yelled at us

it was alright because one of them was smokin

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    oh i have one

on the way to pax last year me and @Romanian My Escutcheon were sat on either side of this kid who was also going to pax

and was absolutely terrified of flying

so we had to talk him through an anxiety attack for the beginning of the flight

cool kid though

we watched adventure time together

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    SPudH.jpg
    detroit airport

owns bones

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    dog allergies

Also there's little solid evidence that they're actually effective at consistently finding such substances (at least with narcotics, don't know about explosives). But it's a situation where cops/security that work with dogs are absolutely convinced that their dogs can actually tell and will ignore any evidence that suggests the dogs may just be getting cues from the handlers and thus are indirectly being prejudiced in who they target.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    also

my flight from texas to tokyo was miserable for a lot of reasons but most of all because i got sick midway through the flight and that was just the pits

all snotty and junk

my ex had to put up with me bein a whiny baby for like

16 hours

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular

I have you scheduled for a 10:00 am meeting with a margarita on the beach.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    I love Chubu international in Central Japan.

It is such a great airport

and the trains pull INTO the airport, so you can seamlessly transition between train and airport with exactly 0 hassle.

It is a crime that every major airport everywhere in the world is not also a train station.

• Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    As a taller than average man I am not looking forward to the ~18 hour flight back to Australia in a few weeks. Actually that reminds me, I need to double check that my aisle seats are confirmed, I need the freedom to get up and stretch my legs every hour or so without bugging people.

I had actually not flown at all until I was 29, and my first flight was Australia to Canada which was not pleasant. Overall it's just a necessary evil that I can get through, and I've never had any issues with airport security or immigration.

• Options

Have you ever gotten off the plane somewhere where you don't speak the language?

I use to be absolutely terrified of it but I've done it enough now where it's kind of exciting. Trying to get to the hotel (or better yet, FINDING one) is pretty fun.

I'd like to do it in India some time. =P

Naw, unfortunately everything I've done for work has been in the US. Someday I'll get out of here!

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »
    detroit airport is the best thing about detroit

Well maybe not the best thing

But it's (or at least the McNamara terminal) one of the nicest airports I've been in, every time I fly through there I sit by the shooty water fountain for a while and feel way better for it.