As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dark Souls] If only I could be so grossly incandescent (as Durante) - Res fix in OP

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Spears are totally parry-able.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Can I say something?
    I played DaSo a bit, and I really wish it was MORE linear. I'm not a great min-maxer or twitch gamer, and that system is already too complex and the gameplay too hard for me to worry about going in the wrong direction. I mean, at least the first area after you leave the tutorial area could be a bit simpler... I'm still wrapping my poor head around the combat and stats.

Is there a "DaSo for MORONS" guide anywhere? I wanna love this game, but I can't even formulate an opinion of it.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    Can I say something?
    I played DaSo a bit, and I really wish it was MORE linear. I'm not a great min-maxer or twitch gamer, and that system is already too complex and the gameplay too hard for me to worry about going in the wrong direction. I mean, at least the first area after you leave the tutorial area could be a bit simpler... I'm still wrapping my poor head around the combat and stats.

Is there a "DaSo for MORONS" guide anywhere? I wanna love this game, but I can't even formulate an opinion of it.

well, part of the game is learning and having those, "shit I am not supposed to be here, but fuck I'm committed" moments but I know what you mean about just not knowing which way to go.

There is a good Lets' Play on youtube if you want to watch someone do it then go try it yourself. But you won't ever get the heart racing scared shitless moments.

PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Yeah, you're only losing souls when you die, so just spend them every time you're near the bonfire and you'll never lose too much. It's all about trying to push just a little bit further, seeing if you can defeat that group, if you can get past that boss, maybe go around there instead, etc.
    Dying is frustrating, but it makes exploration of new places a lot of fun. Except when you die because you get stuck in an inch of a corner. The bottom of the stairs in the graveyard is so bad with that...

• DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Holy crap, has anyone else taken a look at EpicNameBro's Class Challenge series?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3o02rNVEPE

Rules.

#1 You may not level.
    #2 With the exception of rings, you may only use your starting equipment.
    #3 The only Blacksmiths who may Modify your equipment are Andre and Rickert.
    Normal, Raw, Divine, Occult, Magic, and Enchanted are ok.
    Fire and Lightning are NOT allowed.
    #4 You may not use any healing items during a boss battle. Clerics can cast heal with no restrictions.
    #5 You may not enter new covenants. (If you are a knight / cleric, Way of White is allowed.)
    #6 You may not upgrade your pyromancy flame.
    #7 No summons.

You MAY buy consumables, including resins, spells and arrows. You MAY remove equipment. If the challenge is too easy, add your own restrictions. These are only the BASE guidelines for this challenge.

He's using Knight and Hunter for his videos but is encouraging people to submit others, though the challenge is a ways in at this point. He has videos of the Gargoyles, Capra Demon, Quelaag and Ornstein and Smough up right now done with at least a Knight in starting gear, I'm not sure if he's continuing with Hunter or not.

I've gotta watch the rest of these... especially his Hunter fight against Capra, if he's put that up.

Dranyth on
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Can I say something?

Your first defence is a good shield - 100% phys block will get you a long way, and always keep your shield up whenever you're in an unfamiliar area.
    Your second defence is mobility - you want to keep your total encumbrance below 50% whenever possible so you can roll effectively.
    Your third defence is a good offence - prioritise upgrading weapons over armour, and unless you've got a weapon that scales really well (or are a caster), endurance over your other stats (until 40)
    Grabbing a bow and shooting the tail off the dragon on the bridge will net you a weapon that makes the early game much easier.

Explore in hollow form, challenge bosses as human (as there's usually someone to summon). Don't kindle a bonfire unless you're really being overwhelmed or there's a boss ahead.
    Don't consume special souls (Firekeeper, ones from bosses), they're used for creating special equipment and upgrading your flask
    Don't feel the need to fight everything - it's perfectly okay to run past things like Titanite Demons and Black Knights when you first encounter them.
    Pyromancy is great for supplementing any character with relatively low investment.
    For all relatively dangerous enemies, lock-on, circle around with shield up until you understand their attack patterns, then dart in for some quick hits. If they do some blatant telegraphing, it's usually best to roll backwards :P

Early game exploration order roughly sorted by boss exp is Upper Burg - Forest - Lower Burg - Depths - Asylum (secret area) - Blighttown - Demon Ruins - Sen's Fortress.

E: And that sure is a challenge. I'm more a "speed run, no deaths" kind of player so it's not really my cup of tea.

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
    Aww... well he did do Capra with Hunter, though not with the hunter's bow as I was hoping. Did it with the hunter's short sword. Fight actually went really well though.

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    Early game exploration order roughly sorted by boss exp is Upper Burg - Forest - Lower Burg - Depths - Asylum (secret area) - Blighttown - Demon Ruins - Sen's Fortress.

The enemies in the Asylum are easy-peasy, but I had a hell of a time with the Asylum Demon. Between the fall, his forward magic attack and his area magic attack, I had to retry multiple times just to get into a pattern.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Can spears be parried?
    Yes, but it's really hard and not worth it. Spears are really shitty against shields though, so what you can do is simply block and there's a good chance the spear user will be sent into a knockback animation which you can punish accordingly.

Steam Profile: Lork
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    blocked-hit animation is roll-cancel-able a lot of the time.
    For sure with a rapier. Not sure about spear.

Sokpuppet wrote: »
    blocked-hit animation is roll-cancel-able a lot of the time.
    For sure with a rapier. Not sure about spear.
    I doubt he was talking about PvP. I'm pretty sure he's playing Demon's Souls too, so who knows if that even applies there at all.

• DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    ruzkin wrote: »
    I have a knight shield +10 and my chain shirt is at +7 right now I think. I should probably farm some titanite...I still need to pick up the ring.

So I've noticed that I'm getting humanity, but not humanity the item. Where's that coming from? Like I was playing yesterday and I looked up to find that I had 12(!) humanity stored up.

e: AUGH! I think I've fucked up everything!

My firekeeper is dead. Somehow...and also I attacked that serpent-headed NPC...frampt? He was very intimidating! I didn't want to get close. So I started shooting him from afar. After a few shots he called me a silly fool and ran away. Sad face.

I seriously have no idea how you're level 75 and this stuff is only just happening to you now. Are you doing a lot of grinding?

Yeah, kinda. Did I mention my Demons souls character is like level 400? I'm prone to grinding.

cj iwakura wrote: »
    Lork wrote: »
    So, in honor of Demon's Souls shutting down, I'm going to see how far I can get in an SL1 run. Is anybody crazy enough to join me in this endeavor? It sure would be nice if I didn't have to face flamelurker alone.

I never tire of making new characters, so I'd be down for trying.
    Excellent, I'll add you on PSN. What time are you usually on?

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So, in honor of Demon's Souls shutting down, I'm going to see how far I can get in an SL1 run. Is anybody crazy enough to join me in this endeavor? It sure would be nice if I didn't have to face flamelurker alone.

I never tire of making new characters, so I'd be down for trying.
    Excellent, I'll add you on PSN. What time are you usually on?

Evenings on weekdays, random on weekends. :P cj_iwakura's my PSN.

I'm back on Demon's Souls now.

I can play Dark Souls anytime. Demon's time is short, and I'll make the most of it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2012
    Evenings on weekdays? I can probably be on around that time as long as we're close in time zones (Pacific time by the way). Looks like your friends list is maxed out though, can you clear out some space?

Right now I'm working on taking out the Adjudicator. I've finally figured out the optimal spots to kill all the stupid manta rays on the way there, but I keep dieing to some double tongue lash bullshit when I'm one or two hits away from victory.

edit: weekDAYS, not weekENDS, although I can probably do both.

Lork on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Sounds viable. Sorry, space cleared.

Really hitting me how much I'm going to miss this game. There's so many touches that Dark Souls just doesn't do as well, especially the messages.

wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2012
    A note to anyone who wants to join me/us - you don't actually have to be level 1; you can be the base level for any of the classes and still be within the spirit of the challenge. I think as long as you're level 10 or below you can still coop with level 1 players, so that shouldn't be a problem either. You'd have to be crazy to try to solo most of the bosses as anything other than a royal though.

Lork on
    So I haven't quite made a character, but I guess we'll be doing this starting tomorrow?

I'll be using my perfected Elisabeth until then. :P She's so dang awesome. Great at archery and spear...uh..ery.

wVEsyIc.png
    Can you do tomorrow at 7PM PST? That would probably be the best for me.

Yep, should be doable. I'll message you if anything comes up. (I'm EST.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I'm level one but I haven't even killed the first boss and have no idea how to join friends. That said my PSN id is Bigisy24.

You basically plan out where to meet, and drop your stone in an out of the way area. This works in Demon's, don't know if it works in Dark.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    You basically plan out where to meet, and drop your stone in an out of the way area. This works in Demon's, don't know if it works in Dark.

A lot of people do that in Dark Souls, yeah.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
    Yeeeaah I don't have any stone.

Keep playing, you'll get there.

wVEsyIc.png
    Kill the Taurus Demon in Undead Burg, and keep going, there'll be a path to a bridge to your left, and to the right is a more outside area with a armored knight, named Solaire, standing there. If you talk to him a few times and say "Yes" both times when prompted, you'll get the White Soapstone, which lets you place your Summon Sign down.

Keep in mind that to actually summon someone, you have to be in their level range and you must be human.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    Big Isy is playing Demon's Souls as I recall.

Yep, playing the first one here. Its a shame you can't hop into a specific persons game.

You can, but you need to collaborate on a spot for them to summon you. The Maiden in Black gives you a blue stone eventually.

wVEsyIc.png
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Yep, playing the first one here. Its a shame you can't hop into a specific persons game.
    Yeah, you probably shouldn't try to join us, but we could actually help you while you're still low level.

After you've cleared 1-1, that is. What are you having trouble with, by the way? Is it the boss itself, or just getting to it?

Bought Demon's Souls on a whim and just started it.... is the first boss supposed to kick your ass so easily? Because dying in just two hits is hardly that fair when I can't even guard against it.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    Yep. You can kill it if you're good enough, though, and it's one of the most fun fights in the game if you succeed.

wVEsyIc.png
    Yep. You can kill it if you're good enough, though, and it's one of the most fun fights in the game if you succeed.

Cool. Just looked up what happens if you beat him on the first go on youtube. Lol, you beat him just to get dragon-punched and die anyway, lol.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    edited April 2012
    Edit: Oh, you meant the tutorial boss, never mind.

Lork on
    You get a lot of good items, though, and seeing the Dragon God at full power is one heck of a sight.

wVEsyIc.png
    Yeah, oh well. I'm just finishing 1-1, I believe, and I got the Cling Ring that everyone's been telling me to grab; I can see why, too.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    Yeah I just suck at this game. I get to the aforementioned Fort wall in 1-1 and manage to roll around ol' blue eyes with the sword and shield. I run through the door past him and there's a massive downward staircase that spirals around. I tend to die there trying to just roll by them buggers.

My problem is one of timing really. Every time I sit to play the game other people are in the room too and someone tends to come in the way causing me to lose a little health and such. I know I can get through it if I have the peace to just sit and get on with it.

I wouldn't try to run past enemies unless you know exactly what you're doing. Take it slow and kill everything (except for the red eye knight), that way you're not running blindly into ambushes, you can lure enemies out to fight them one on one instead of all at once, and generally fight them on your own terms instead of theirs.

I wouldn't try to run past enemies unless you know exactly what you're doing. Take it slow and kill everything (except for the red eye knight), that way you're not running blindly into ambushes, you can lure enemies out to fight them one on one instead of all at once, and generally fight them on your own terms instead of theirs.

That's what I've been doing; I've been taking the same approach I took with Dark Souls, and it's helped, thus far. Phalanx was a little tricky at first, but I just tossed Fire-bombs, and when I ran out of those, I switched to Soul Arrow (I'm playing Royalty) and the boss died really quick.

I did die once because I hit the trap to unleash the metal balls onto the enemies further down.... while I was still in front of it.... yeahhhhh... not the smartest move I've done. Still, I guess because of that I got 8.4k Souls just from clearing 1-1. I also saved that Ostrava guy, even though he obviously could have saved his own ass, what with his nice looking sword and shield, and all.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    I also saved that Ostrava guy, even though he obviously could have saved his own ass, what with his nice looking sword and shield, and all.
    One time when I was trying to get him killed, I kicked him off the ledge and he proceeded to wipe the floor with all the hollows, and then thanked me for "saving him". Got a pretty good laugh out of that one.

This discussion has been closed.