As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA:TV] Season 3, Ep. 21 - Perhaps Too Real (4th Panel)

TubeTube Registered User admin
edited April 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    f u robot

• Options
    Ori KleinOri Klein Registered User regular
    I recall when it used to be a 'thing' on how they don't look like their comic counters.
    Amusingly, the 'vile' version has very little similarity to their actual looks.

• Options
    DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    If you say so.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Yeah, they were obviously exaggerated, but still pretty accurate - like a gross version of those shopping mall sketch "artists".

So they've gone back to Windows PCs, but got iPhones?

• Options
    Svenne345Svenne345 Treasure Hider Registered User regular
    That line about earth minerals and ground beef is comedy gold.

Also, I noticed a lot of 4th panels this season. A part of me wants more Tycho sweating over a deadly phone call from his woman, but I was dying to know how they made this comic.

Svenne345.jpg
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Just proves that they don't buy into the "hype" of being either a "Mac or PC guy". The communities seem act like they're mutually exclusive.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

Don't see how one follows the other! Presumably they're using PCs again because it's the most convenient, same deal with the iPhones.

I was hoping for a 4th Panel of this one! Dreams comin' true <3

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Svenne345 wrote: »
    Also, I noticed a lot of 4th panels this season.

Same, I love Mike and Jerry, but I miss the rest of the office on camera as well :(

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure nobody made a thread for the last episode of Extra Credits that went up in case you want to beat the robot again...

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

Don't see how one follows the other! Presumably they're using PCs again because it's the most convenient, same deal with the iPhones.

Oh yeah, no problem with the choice, just thought it was interesting they mixed it up. That combination probably makes more sense than having OSX machines and Win7 phones, though I guess you can run Windows on the Macs.

• Options
    AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    This one wasn't as juicy as I'd hoped. They pretty much went straight from "retina display" to "gross ren & stimpy close-ups." Especially the way it ended with the comic in frame with no sound or dialogue. Just a sort of "Yep. This is what they were describing."

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I did love the bit
    "They'd be vile. You more than me. Naturally."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Firematic.Firematic. Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »

Same, I love Mike and Jerry, but I miss the rest of the office on camera as well :(

I like the 4th panels, especially over just having no content. Now that they are going up relatively shortly after the comic itself, it has more of the feel of the original podcasts, rather than some of the early 4th panels where I had to go back multiple comics to see what they were working on.
    Also, who is the dude Jerry mentions for the art style? I didn't recognize the name.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    John K - he's the guy who made Ren and Stimpy

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Firematic.Firematic. Registered User regular
    That's what I was thinking of but I totally didn't recognize the name.

• Options
    The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    The John K influence is actually really pronounced. I was noticing it before but now that they pointed it out I can't stop seeing it.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I really wanted to see a shot of jerry's reaction to the finished portraits

good one though

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    agilemaniaagilemania Lyon EstatesRegistered User regular
    I think I remember reading somewhere (the 11.5 anniversary book?) that John K is one of Mike's major artistic influences. Stephen Silver (Kim Possible) is probably his biggest influence, but John K was up there.

• Options
    nearlysobernearlysober Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah I've noticed that too... 13 of 21 episodes this season! I enjoy 4th Panels, but I really enjoy getting a "peek" into the office life on Penny Arcade and related ventures.

One topic I'd like to see covered is a look into how their recent deck building card game was created... how they work companies like Cryptozoic, what input they have, etc... would be cool, and timely with "Rumble in R'lyeh" expansion coming out soon.

nearlysober on
  • Options
    lamelama22lamelama22 Registered User regular
    Very simply: both are the best for playing games on desktop / mobile. This was explicitly addressed in their news posts.

Jerry also said he liked Mac OSX much moreso than Windows, but the work he was doing was mostly on Google Docs now rather than actual applications, so the choice of OS didn't really make any difference other than hinder his ability to play games. I pretty much agree totally, which is why my desktop is Windows (for gaming), though my laptop is Mac.
    Yeah I've noticed that too... 13 of 21 episodes this season! I enjoy 4th Panels, but I really enjoy getting a "peek" into the office life on Penny Arcade and related ventures...

Yea my favorite part of PATV was always the behind the scenes / company / topical episodes... I don't even really care all that much for the 4th panels and am usually actively disappointed each time a new episode comes out and it's a 4th panel. It's not that I don't like them - I do, it's just that they're usually not as interesting as the other episodes, & they're all kinda the same. When I watch the DVDs... I don't even watch the 4th panel discs, whereas I'll run through the regular eps for each commentary track.

I went to the Vantage Point panel at PAX East, and this was brought up a few different times in questions, and what they basically said was that Khoo decided they should focus much more on the 4th Panels this season partway through. Also, the 4th panels have caught up slowly over the course of the season because they weren't totally prepared for only doing 4th Panels, and their buffer of finished edited episodes pretty much ran out.

Maybe there's some super secret project going on at PA HQ that Khoo doesn't want on film? Or maybe he just wants to cause viewers to slowly lose interest in the series until it gets low enough to cancel (or test if 4th Panels alone could carry the show)? Who knows?

• Options
    Svenne345Svenne345 Treasure Hider Registered User regular
    lamelama22 wrote: »

Maybe there's some super secret project going on at PA HQ that Khoo doesn't want on film? Or maybe he just wants to cause viewers to slowly lose interest in the series until it gets low enough to cancel (or test if 4th Panels alone could carry the show)? Who knows?

I doubt it. PATV is on the rise, and I hardly see Robert doing anything to jeopardize it.

Svenne345.jpg