As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Lars wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    My only beta problem thus far (aside from it saying it's fifteen gig) is that when the bnet servers go down, I can't play singleplayer. I know that's probably a diablo "thing" or whatever, but damn is it annoying since i mainly just want to see if I want to play. Monk is fun so far though.

Actually, it wasn't a Diablo thing until this game. In the first game, multiplayer was pretty much just tacked on (didn't even have all the levels/items/quests as single player), and in the second game more people played it offline/LAN than on Battle.net. So there was a bit of an uproar when they made this one online-only.

More people played D2 offline/lan than on Bnet? I highly doubt that. I honestly know maybe 2 people out of quite a few that ever played it off of bnet.

Also I'm pretty sure D1 had everything multi that it did in solo.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    D1 multiplayer had almost none of the quests/special encounters. I think it had the Butcher, Skeleton King, Lazarus, and Diablo. It was missing a lot of stuff like Gharbad, the mushroom quest, the poisoned water, etc.

I'm not sure how many played D2 not on B.net, but Lars is right to say that online-only play wasn't a Diablo thing until D3.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Skab wrote: »
    Lars wrote: »
    My only beta problem thus far (aside from it saying it's fifteen gig) is that when the bnet servers go down, I can't play singleplayer. I know that's probably a diablo "thing" or whatever, but damn is it annoying since i mainly just want to see if I want to play. Monk is fun so far though.

Actually, it wasn't a Diablo thing until this game. In the first game, multiplayer was pretty much just tacked on (didn't even have all the levels/items/quests as single player), and in the second game more people played it offline/LAN than on Battle.net. So there was a bit of an uproar when they made this one online-only.

More people played D2 offline/lan than on Bnet? I highly doubt that. I honestly know maybe 2 people out of quite a few that ever played it off of bnet.

Also I'm pretty sure D1 had everything multi that it did in solo.

I don't know about the first bit, other than to say I didn't play it online. I just didn't care for the way that was paced (i.e. people running ahead of you and taking all the loot, etc). Of course, Diablo 3 fixed a lot of the issues I had with online play in D2 and the few times I tried it out in the beta it was pretty damn fun, so I probably will play that online.

As for the second bit, that's not true. D1 online was a watered-down version of single player. I don't know about levels/items (I do know a few spells were not available online, but like one or two were not available in single player) but I do know it was missing quests. It had maybe 75% of the quests? Just a rough guess. I don't believe the Butcher was available online for example (or maybe it was the other one, the poison water supply). The Skeleton King quest is really watered down and they removed the whole extra area you fight him in, so he just shows up randomly on whatever floor. I think Lazarus was really different or possibly not there, can't remember. Stuff like that. A lot of the story and exposition was also taken out. Some of this was probably in the guise of "what works for singleplayer doesn't necessarily work for multiplayer." But either way, it was different.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I can't say I'm thrilled the game has to constantly be online. Like, why? There's no good reason to NEED a constant online connection is there?

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Anti-piracy, anti-cheat, making it impossible for people to have singleplayer characters and not being able to join their friends in multiplayer unless they level up a whole new character.

• Options
    forty wrote: »
    D1 multiplayer had almost none of the quests/special encounters. I think it had the Butcher, Skeleton King, Lazarus, and Diablo. It was missing a lot of stuff like Gharbad, the mushroom quest, the poisoned water, etc.

Really? Huh. I honestly never realized that then.

Granted, I'll admit my Diablo 1 multiplayer experince was a bit skewed, as I only ever played through it in multi on the PS1 version.

Don't judge me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I don't think that's going to stop cheaters and piracy. They ALWAYS find a way. In the meantime, it can make it a pain for people who actually pay for the game.

But I'm not really interested in a big debate so I'll drop it. It's just a needless pain in the ass I think.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

Granted, I'll admit my Diablo 1 multiplayer experince was a bit skewed, as I only ever played through it in multi on the PS1 version.

Don't judge me.

Found an article:
    http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Diablo_I#Single_Player_vs._Multiplayer

Wow, I forgot it was that bad. Multiplayer only had 4 of 16 quests.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Don't judge me.

Found an article:
    http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Diablo_I#Single_Player_vs._Multiplayer

Wow, I forgot it was that bad. Multiplayer only had 4 of 16 quests.

I wonder if it was the same on PS then. I swear I remember doing more than 4 quests when I played through it, but maybe my memory is starting to go in my old age.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    I don't think that's going to stop cheaters and piracy. They ALWAYS find a way. In the meantime, it can make it a pain for people who actually pay for the game.

But I'm not really interested in a big debate so I'll drop it. It's just a needless pain in the ass I think.

I think the AH has more to do with it than hacks and cheats that affect the actual gameplay, like bots. Keeping the whole game online theoretically makes it more difficult to exploit the AH and easier to track what people are doing should (when) exploits pop up.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular

The online-only requirement is a result of a separation of the client and server game code. In order for someone to pirate Diablo 3, first the piracy community must essentially reverse engineer battle.net, which might theoretically be possible, but would take months or years and would probably never be quite right. Nobody is going to "crack" Diablo 3 anytime soon. This separation of code also makes it exceedingly hard to develop hack exploits since much of what makes the game tick is simply not there to analyze, and there is no safe offline testbed to experiment in. The structure is similar to an MMO like World of Warcraft, which is a game that has never really suffered from serious problems with hacking.

It's fair to say that it's not the most convenient situation, but to frame it as pointless is just not correct.

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    even if you don't want to play directly with other people, you still probably want to sell/trade your items you find, right? like if you find a legendary/set sword on your wizard, in single player it's fairly useless.

i'm just not sure how someone can not have an internet connection when playing diablo 3. it's 2012. we are posting on the internet right now

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    My internet connection is unreliable at the best of times.
    Also, online only means connection issues in single player are awesome.

• Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    I just noticed that picking up journals gives you an xp boost. Now I have another reason to feed my OCD.

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    Rizzi wrote: »

so do you never play any other online games? why don't you just fix your internet connection?

besides, blizzard should be able to roll things back easily, say if you miss out on an item from a d/c or something. unlike in d2, it will probably have more recorded, ala wow

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular

so do you never play any other online games? why don't you just fix your internet connection?

besides, blizzard should be able to roll things back easily, say if you miss out on an item from a d/c or something. unlike in d2, it will probably have more recorded, ala wow

If the problem with his internet is the lines, not much he can do about that. Not like the they're going to dig them up and lay new ones even if the whole area bitched probably. If my internet was crap it be use it or nothing. And I'm actually living in fear of that, as AT&T is rolling out free mandatory 'upgrades' to Uverse that are utter shit for some people since they're overloading the lines apparently. So people with spotty internet have merit to their argument.

• Options
    El Guaco wrote: »
    I just noticed that picking up journals gives you an xp boost. Now I have another reason to feed my OCD.

As does the first kill of a new mob type. (Whenever the little bestiary lore pops up in the bottom right)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »

If the problem with his internet is the lines, not much he can do about that. Not like the they're going to dig them up and lay new ones even if the whole area bitched probably. If my internet was crap it be use it or nothing. And I'm actually living in fear of that, as AT&T is rolling out free mandatory 'upgrades' to Uverse that are utter shit for some people since they're overloading the lines apparently. So people with spotty internet have merit to their argument.
    this seems weird to me. wouldn't you look for an alternative or a fix, since that issue would affect any online only game, like an mmo etc.

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I've been playing a lot of Diablo 2 again lately.

Made the mistake of starting off with a Necromancer.

I love playing Necromancer but they are not the most efficient magic finder without the proper gear.

Namely my goddamn minions are worthless without an Enigma to help me position them effectively.

Shoulda rolled a Sorceress first.

RT800 on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    I can't say I'm thrilled the game has to constantly be online. Like, why? There's no good reason to NEED a constant online connection is there?

From a meta standpoint, it's to prevent cheating et all.

It's also to ensure the sanctity of the RMT auction house.

It's also because the game itself is actually a guild-wars style MMORPG client. The local client, to my knowledge, doesn't actually generate any maps and the like, relying entirely on Blizzard's servers. Which is a great way to keep people from pirating it, I guess.

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Mobile Alerts have been added as a security option for battle.net accounts. So if you want more account security for your highly prized account, go check out your security options.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »

this seems weird to me. wouldn't you look for an alternative or a fix, since that issue would affect any online only game, like an mmo etc.

Looking for a fix doesn't mean there's one to be found. I'm not up in arms about it being online, but if my net went to crap after the Uverse switch there is no fix unless AT&T decides to roll back their change which is totally unrealistic. Only other option is...nothing, again, realistically. Luckily I don't expect this to happen anytime soon, but I know people that is HAS happened to, so 'What if...' springs to mind when this get brought up. Not to mention people on here who already have spotty net for whatever reason, not like they can just wave their hand or make a quick phone call and presto.

And the damn beta was a pain in the ass to get working, don't want to think about net issues on top of it :P

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    So my Diablo III client still won't update, it just stays at Updating Tools (0%)

Is the new patch out yet or not?

Had the same issue. You need to delete your battle.net folder in the hidden folder "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ ... Once " I believe. I did that, ended the agent*32 task in task manager and restarted the launcher and it worked fine.

Oh and when you do that it will attempt to redownload a bunch of stuff and your install bar may freeze for 5-10 minutes, don't close it, just let it go and it will be fine.

I can't find this mythical folder

Also, I'm really excited for the lore stuff

Book of Cain hints at what we'll see
    The book makes it canon that the one who defeated Diablo in the original game was King Leoric's older son, Aiden.

Aiden shoves the stone in his head like an idiot, bangs Adria, wanders east (always into the east), Adria gives birth to Leah, disappears, and Cain raises Leah.

Here's my speculation: Leah was made by Aiden's corrupted Diablosperm, so she'll be the vessel of Diablo's return. It would explain why there was that official art of chick Diablo.

What I'm really interested in is Belial. The Book of Cain says he gets so deep into his lies that he can find it hard to quit. Also it says he'd mostly likely take the disguise of an influential person. What if Cain is Belial, so wrapped up in his lie that he thinks he actually is Cain? Or maybe it was all intentional, guiding the heroes to get rid of the Prime Evils so Belial could take over?

You need to go into the view settings and show hidden files and folders to find it. Tis a hidden folder. It also may be in a different spot based on your OS. I'm running Windows 7 so that's where I found it. YMMV but it should be in a similar location. Let me know your OS and i'll let you know where to find it.

I'm on Vista

Try here: C:\ProgramData\Battle.net

Well, now it just sits at the first window that pops up before the actual client loads up: Updating setup files....

Ending agent.exe*32 lets the green bar progress a little more, and then agent.exe pops back up and it reverts back

Sure hope Blizzard gets this fixed before May 15

See if anything in this topic helps you http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3595575394

Also did you completely delete the battle.net folder, then kill the agent*.32 process, then try to repatch and wait 10-15 minutes even if it looks like it is frozen?

Completely deleted battle.net folder, killed agent.exe, tried repatching, left it on overnight while asleep

nothing

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Try killing agent.exe first then deleting C:\ProgramData\Battle.net. Deleting just the Agent folder inside Battle.net worked for me, but not for my brother. Then he tried deleting Agent again and I think he may have not shut down agent.exe before the first time since it magically worked the 2nd time.

in any case, as was said, this better not happen in a month. Really annoying.

Also, Diablo 3 doesn't do "Windowed" mode 'properly' (aka how I like) like WoW does it seems. This makes me sad. They should fix that in retail too, I want "Maximized Windowed" mode, so it's full screen but with a taskbar...

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    I am 99% sure there is a boarderless windowed option for Diablo 3. Unless it was removed in a patch when I stopped paying attention to build up that lust for the 15th.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Yeah, there is, but I want a border on the very bottom. Not a huge problem, just I was expecting it to work the same as WoW.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    It's been years since I played WoW, but I remember its windowed fullscreen option acting the same way as it does in Starcraft 2, which is filling the entire screen.

Is there anything specific to avoid if I don't want to know about later areas before playing the game?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Yeah, WoW's maximized windowed mode takes up the whole screen. Mostly it's for quick alt-tabbing, which in WoW is a must.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Yeah, WoW's maximized windowed mode takes up the whole screen. Mostly it's for quick alt-tabbing, which in WoW is a must.

Also a godsend for those of us with the blessed double monitor setup.

• Options
    Evil DaveEvil Dave Loot Whore Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    I've been playing a lot of Diablo 2 again lately.

Made the mistake of starting off with a Necromancer.

I love playing Necromancer but they are not the most efficient magic finder without the proper gear.

Namely my goddamn minions are worthless without an Enigma to help me position them effectively.

Shoulda rolled a Sorceress first.

I never cared quite enough about my Necromancer to get him an Enigma, but I did find a good circlet with charges of Teleport on it. Not as useful as enigma, but for 2k gold a click it worked when you wanted it.

However, there is nothing that will make you not hate the Maggot Lair. Corpse Explosion is your only boon for that.

Demerdar wrote: »
    Imagine 60 thousand people screaming at an egg.
    PAsig.jpg
  • Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Are there two people that would like to do a 4 player game? Another and I are wanting to see what that is like!

My name/number is Retaba#1144

Retaba on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Also a godsend for those of us with the blessed double monitor setup.

Yeah I absolutely abhor games now that don't allow me to do this with my dual monitors. One is for gaming/misc and the other is for messaging/web.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    If all the data is there, I'm fairly sure one of the hacking groups will find a way for people to pirate this/play it offline. Whether or not it works well is another story, however. Regardless it's gonna be missing some features.

Note, I'm not suggesting this is a good thing, just that from what I've seen in the past, someone is gonna at least attempt it.

• Options
    Well, the entire point is all the data ISN'T there, but that's also not going to stop them. But if it slows them down enough to keep them screwing with the online game much at least there's that.

Bigger issue is the 5-= keys being ignored!

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Oh, people are already trying to crack D3. At least one group has been working on a battle.net emulator for diablo 3 since the public beta started. Most of these efforts as far as I can tell haven't had public updates for 4-6 months, because I imagine it's not too hard to get the game up and running so you can putz around an empty game world, but then they hit a wall where none of the scripting in the game works, the monsters have to be spawned manually and have no AI or stats, NPCs aren't present, etc, and that represents a currently insurmountable wall.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Is it just me, or are real money auction houses and hacks a bad combination?

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Roe wrote: »
    Is it just me, or are real money auction houses and hacks a bad combination?

It's almost like Blizzard is taking extraordinary steps to ensure that hacking in D3 is incredibly difficult or impossible.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    It will be interesting to read about the first murder commited over non-existant items paid for with real cash. Cause if WoW is any indication you know the same thing is gonna happen here.

Has nothing to do with the games, has everything to with people being dumb as rocks.

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    It's just a matter of time before it gets hacked/pirated. There's unnoficial wow servers, so people are emulating that client. I have a friend who plays on one and he said they just got latest expansion.

WC3 was hacked during the beta, emulating bnet and everything (warforge was awesome :D ) and I'm not sure but I'm gonna guess there was something to emulate bnet after it's retail release too.

I don't think the question is ever will it be hacked/pirated buy when and in what form?

I could never pirate a Blizzard game (I don't pirate any more anyways. But even my younger self would buy all the blizzard games) they tend to put so much work, effort, and polish into their games it always seemed wrong. Their products are typically well worth the money, and they continue to support their releases.

I just hope D3 isn't like when I first bought D2. Ran out an bought it day one, only to realize it ran like poo on my laptop.

• Options
    Well, if you're still using the same laptop I'd say you're in trouble. :P

I can run the thing maxed out it turns out, so yay for that. Course, I'm on a desktop.

This discussion has been closed.