As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Champions Online] Psychic zombies, robot pirates, and Killdozer. 'Nuff said.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    So I have a new question. I saw that Alienware has a trial-code to get some free stuff much like they did for STO. Is there any other promo codes for CO though? I don't want to use the Alienware one only to find out there's some other ones that have better stuff.

• Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    I can't say for sure with that code in particular, but promo codes in general tend to be stackable. You probably can't get free VIP/sub time from more than one promo, but you'd likely be able to at least get any other goodies that show up down the line.

Yet another new question! Do we have some sort of group in CO or is the chat-channel as far as the forum's gone there?

• Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Yet another new question! Do we have some sort of group in CO or is the chat-channel as far as the forum's gone there?

I don't know. Considering that there's basically no benefit to being in a supergroup aside from the costume slot you unlock by joining one, the chat channel is probably fine. If we're lucky, the fleet starbase stuff that's going into STO will get backported and we'll have supergroup bases.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on

I don't know. Considering that there's basically no benefit to being in a supergroup aside from the costume slot you unlock by joining one, the chat channel is probably fine. If we're lucky, the fleet starbase stuff that's going into STO will get backported and we'll have supergroup bases.

It would be nice if a PA-based group could get started. With the On Alert patch coming this week, it'd be a good time to get one started.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Not really. You can just form your own supergroup with expendable volunteers to get the supergroup costume and then team up with any PA people via the PA chat channel.

There seriously is no advantage to a PA supergroup.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    co_questionite_exchange1.jpg
    co_questionite_exchange4.jpg
    I don't know what to say, that's one lazy STO system conversion.

steam_sig.png
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    Not really. You can just form your own supergroup with expendable volunteers to get the supergroup costume and then team up with any PA people via the PA chat channel.

There IS a SG bank. And... that's pretty much it for advantages.

And I'm unsurprised by the lazy STO system conversion. Whoever's been doing the UI for CO has struck me as someone they should replace. Whenever a suitable candidate arises. I hear the coffee gopher is looking for a leg up, why don't they just use THEM instead?

Unless they're already using them. In which case: they need a new gopher, stat.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
    edited April 2012
    So, I appear to be pre-loading something. Big patch imminent?

Also pets do not appear to be sapping equilibrium on my Sentinel-mode character. Is that the way it's supposed to work?

edit: nm they changed that mechanic. just saps energy gain and increases energy use now.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    MrVyngaard wrote: »

Yes, there is a bank. And if you get a few volunteers to fill out the roster for super group creation, and then dump them all afterwards you get a super group bank and costume for every one of your characters.

MrVyngaard wrote: »

Yes, there is a bank. And if you get a few volunteers to fill out the roster for super group creation, and then dump them all afterwards you get a super group bank and costume for every one of your characters.

Yeah but that seems kinda shady. I'd rather work with a real group, you know? :)

How is it shady?

Just feels a little like cheating the system to get more private bank slots to me. I know buying more are expensive but still...

I don't see it that way, as they could quite easily put in some minimum basic requirements to have a supergroup.

Things like minimum character requirements or any number of other things.

This isn't even discouraged.

The Big Update (tm) is happening tomorrow at 7 AM pst.

edited April 2012
    The release notes are up. They're a mite too big for me to drop and edit into here but I did see something new that I didn't hear about before.
    “The Radiant” Archetype

This is a new, free, Support Archetype, using powers from the Celestial and Arcane Frameworks:
    Stats

06 Primary Super Stat - Presence
    10 Secondary Super Stat - Ego
    15 Secondary Super Stat - Intelligence

Powers

01 Eldritch Bolts
    01 Rebuke
    06 Vengeance
    08 Seraphim
    11 Expulse
    14 Eldritch Shield
    17 Circle of Radiant Glory -OR- Sigils of Radiant Sanctuary
    22 Arcane Vitality
    27 Binding of Aratron -OR- Soul Mesmerism
    32 Divine Renewal
    40 Planar Fracture

Specializations

10 Specialization Tree - Presence
    20 Specialization Tree - Sentry
    30 Specialization Tree - Sentinel

EDIT: Oh hey, something else I didn't know about that's pretty neat.
    -We at Cryptic feel that our players should have access to as much free content as possible, so… Adventure packs are now FREE (starting at Level 11) for all players, and have been added into the normal progression of the game.

Owenashi on
    I wonder how long it'll be before we see c-store items to boost the chances of successful fusion?

• SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    That is pretty nice of Cryptic actually.
    If there was the option of purchasing a free-form character I might actually return to the game.

steam_sig.png
    Wow, so, these changes. I'm trying to find as much DOOM as I can, but it's really not much. The fusion and alert systems are reasonably straightforward by MMO standards, and the specialization system is a welcome addition.

Super awesome undocumented change:
    Tier requirements are reduced. For example, Support Drones used to require 3 Gadget powers or 5 non-EB powers from any set. Now, it's 3 in-set powers or 4 non-EB non-set powers. Jubilations! Also the "ultimate" powers now have "be level 35" as their only requirement (no VB arc or huge number of powers from that set are needed).

Oh, right, I remember the piss in my cheerios now. I still can't tell my pets to attack something by using the keybind. Doom, slap in the face, etc. etc.

• VoroVoro Registered User regular
    Wait, what? Your post implies the server is actually up on patch day, and that the patch was not pushed back. There's no way that happened.

XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
    Voro wrote: »
    Wait, what? Your post implies the server is actually up on patch day, and that the patch was not pushed back. There's no way that happened.

It's unbelievable, right?

It's a bit more believable now. They nuked my ent_keybinds.txt and replaced it with their terrible control scheme for the 360 pad. Also, something feels off with melee now, but I didn't have time to test it. Suddenly I need a target under my reticule to attack, even if there's a target within melee range. My preferences were correct, but maybe it's just a bug with objects rather than actual enemies. Or maybe I'm just destined to make yet another alt and get my ranged dps on.

I tried out the three Alert types so far and they were pretty fun. Shame they don't individually give ?-ore at the end of each but you can earn 2000 from a daily for just doing one of each.

Does the new Sentinel Aura stack with other people on the team who have it? If it does, I can see PvP becoming even more of an imbalanced clusterfuck.

edited April 2012
    Erf, double-post, sorry. I guess I should use it to ask how long it takes for an Adventure Pack or a Comic Series to be played through since they also give out Q-ore.

Owenashi on
    So this is a stupid question but is it ok for me to toss away a costume-unlock item once it's used?

Once you have unlocked a costume piece it stays unlocked.

edited April 2012
    Once you have unlocked a costume piece it stays unlocked.

Account-wide, no less!

also the packs/series can take up to a couple of hours depending on how fast you can murder stuff.

edit: i maed heero

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Does the new Sentinel Aura stack with other people on the team who have it? If it does, I can see PvP becoming even more of an imbalanced clusterfuck.

Cryptic has managed to both nerf most pvp builds, and make them even more ridiculous when you rebuild them using the new gear/specializations. Sentinel aura is fine unless it stacks. Then it will be HORRIFIC. On my tooltips it did more than regen does these days (though regen is a bad joke, it's probably the worst passive now, which took EFFORT).

It would be an issue with people being vaporized upon entering the arena, except 1) Pvp is dead as a doornail and I've been told the only way matches go is getting into the pvp custom channel and begging people to queue for a match and 2) Pvp rewards are worthless now, and I think they even just wiped acclaim entirely along with the destruction of 90% of existing crafting items/gear. So no reason to pvp unless you LIKE the pvp. Get into that custom channel and as them if even they like the pvp. I asked that question and got a lot of funny comments on how the game is basically dressup, but nobody actually answering the question aside from a few "hell no"s. Yeah.

Oh and yes, they had items you buy in the store for fusion failure rates or whatever as soon as it launched.

There were a few neat things to experiment with for all of about four hours, minus the time to remake my build. That's about it. Nothing new worth doing, nothing old changed enough to be worthwhile, pvp dead, and everything now requires grinds. Hooray.

edited April 2012
    Erf, have any of you guys gotten a character stuck between zones? Meaning trying to go from M-City to say the Desert and the game crashing in mid-load, causing your guy to be stuck in load-limbo and the game crashing every time you try to load up the same character from the character-select screen?

EDIT: Well, got it fixed at the cost of reinstalling the whole game. >.<; Another question I have though is about knockback abilities. Are they frowned upon in CO as much as they are in CoH? Because I have one in the form of Shotgun Blast and I was thinking about giving it an upgrade that'll increase the chances of knockback with it considerably.

Owenashi on
    Erf, have any of you guys gotten a character stuck between zones? Meaning trying to go from M-City to say the Desert and the game crashing in mid-load, causing your guy to be stuck in load-limbo and the game crashing every time you try to load up the same character from the character-select screen?

EDIT: Well, got it fixed at the cost of reinstalling the whole game. >.<; Another question I have though is about knockback abilities. Are they frowned upon in CO as much as they are in CoH? Because I have one in the form of Shotgun Blast and I was thinking about giving it an upgrade that'll increase the chances of knockback with it considerably.

It will irritate melee users, to be sure, just like in CoH.

Yeah, knockback is rage-inducing for melee, not to mention it increases the chance that you'll fail any time-based smash alerts.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Huh, so that's why that one melee guy told me to get fucked for spamming force cascade

I WAS MAKING SO MANY NUMBERS THOUGH

Yeah, I don't wanna upset people. On the other hand, I loooove shotguns and I love sending any enemy too close to me flying away.

So, I just made an invincible character. Level 40, size-5 spawns at the MC powerhouse battle station. I can tank one group completely afk, two groups if I use un-upgraded BCR or attack them with Illumination up. I am simultaneously healing my entire team for about 100hp/sec, boosting their damage resistance by 6%, and reducing each hit by 70 damage. I should note that this is using only quest/drop gear, from before Alert patch, that completely ignores one of my secondary super stats.

Don't get me wrong, it was totally possible to break the game under the old system, but now it's practically effortless. Also I'm 99% sure that the Sentinel aura stacks from multiple players by combining all the healing values together.

• WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    Huh, so that's why that one melee guy told me to get fucked for spamming force cascade

I WAS MAKING SO MANY NUMBERS THOUGH

knockback skills need a 0 point advantage to get rid of the knockback effect. its useful for some of them, but for big powerful abilities that are going to be spammed its kinda annoying

tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    On the subject of knockbacks, I'm a tank(ish) build, but I keep an aggro wipe ability around because it has other applications too.

Being a melee tank, I have found a new application. If I go into an alert and spend 90% of the time chasing mobs around because dickface the FC spammer or WINDPOWAH the whatever the hell those things are now (seems to be an entire tree of nothing but knocks and repels, oh boy) you'd better damn hope you don't generate a lot of aggro or are the only person near me when I get tired of that shit. Because, yes, I can and HAVE wiped everybody but myself using that aggro wipe button.

So either stop using knockbacks, don't use them on things the melee are actively fighting, or learn to fight everything the tank has pulled suddenly real quick. Jackass.

Well I tend to stick to my Submachinegun Burst in fights with teams. Honestly, I tend to use the shotgun on single targets. Particularly any that's too close to my Soldier for comfort. After getting punched or clawed in the face a couple of times, it's nice to see them fly away, especially when I juggle them further back and up into the air with repeated shots.

edited April 2012
    Stuff like shotgun isn't going to be a problem, unless you are deliberately targeting the mobs melee are focused on.

It's spamming huge aoe's with repels and knockbacks that are causing issues. And of course, guess what people love to spam? Irony is they don't do that much damage either, so it just horribly prolongs EVERYTHING as well as pissing off the melee. FC gets singled out because 90% of the time, it's FC being spammed. 9% of the rest is a wind AT or a freeform that loves wind powers for some reason.

Basically, if aggro is suddenly wiped, and it's not going to be a huge issue for you, then you weren't being a problem in the first place (shotgun couldn't build huge aggro if it tried for instance). Knocking every mob in the area though, yeah, that'll get you aggro all over, including from the team!

Edit: I should add I played an NRG/NRG blaster in CoX. I understand having to watch your targets with knocks, and can also easily tell when people aren't bothering.

Astale on
    I think I'm pretty good in not pulling any aggro off of any tanks in Alerts unless my constant use of Assault Rifle overwhelms their ability to keep the focus on them. I haven't upgraded any attack BTW when it comes to power-ranks (with Targeting Computer being the exception), focusing on the ability-additions instead. Speaking of such, is it worth putting any points in Smoke Grenade's power-ranks or ability-addition? I'm tossing it out but I don't quite get what the Perception-reduction does for me or others in a fight.