As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SSX] World class tunnel physics simulator

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    if you like SSX/tony hawk and don't mind a lack of multiplayer it's a pretty sweet game
    plus it's pretty cheap now

• mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    if you like SSX/tony hawk and don't mind a lack of multiplayer it's a pretty sweet game
    plus it's pretty cheap now

I loved ssx back when it first dropped on PS2. I also took up snowboarding this year. I think I'll do it.

• EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    If they somehow managed to insert the mountain from SSX3 into the game I would give them all the moneys. Double the moneys if they somehow include DJ Atomika and the corresponding soundtrack.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    DJ Atomika is already in the game...

uyvfOQy.png
    Reynolds wrote: »
    DJ Atomika is already in the game...

He's got like no lines! I want him announcing songs goddamnit.
    Also I just demolished a one of your descents, Blitz. By 7000m or so. Bring it.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I got this yesterday, haven't played too much cause I also got Syndicate and its bananas. What I did play though, I had trouble controlling my person. Lots of times I ended up completely sideways heading straight for the sidewall of the slope...

I find it easier to pull off tricks with the buttons instead of the RS, I scored over 2,000,000 points *cough*onthetrainingrace*cough* which is more than I did in the demo.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • AbsurðrAbsurðr Näkrå maximum fucking hellRegistered User regular
    I would totally pay for a classic mountain pack. I would take skins for free.

steam_sig.png
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    so some people in the community have started getting emails with puzzle pieces
    these hint at future DLC for the game
    puzzleWIP.jpg
    looks like either a classic skins pack or maybe even a classic mountains pack
    either way, cool stuff

New Deadly Descent, meteor shower.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    A little help with steering : if you do a nose/tail grind, you turn much slower. If you're boosting, you won't really lose any speed, either.

uyvfOQy.png
    edited April 2012
    the final puzzle here: http://kotaku.com/5902027/this-sure-does-look-like-a-tease-of-ssx-tricky
    "SSX fans have shown their love for the game's rich history," the game's makers said. "We love that history as well, and that's why we're excited to be bringing some classic elements to the newest SSX release in our upcoming DLC release. We'll be letting you know more on Monday, but for now we're off to launch some fireworks in celebration."

Local H Jay on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Not sure if I should be happy or upset.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    If that is any Tricky mountain, then it's probably Snowdream, or a reimagining of it. For some reason, I recognize the lights in the distance, between the heads, as being on that course.

Of course, you know there'll be uproar if Merqury City Meltdown doesn't show up.

PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    This game seems MUCH harder then the previous. I'm glad I noticed one of the hints that said holding a trick is better tehn switching between 50 tricks, which in Tricky was the ......trick. Also, the races are always CLOSE. I found I ahve to trick perfectly to get unlimited boost, keep the tricks up, and if I fall or miss time ANYTHING boom, computer wins. Really fucking hard. I'm only on the second mountain!! Egadzooks!!!

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Ohhhhh, so you should only do one trick and hold it? I spaz out off of jumps and try to do a hojillion tricks before I land...

My interest in this game waned because I just wasnt very decent at it. Also "Survive It" things are stupid and dumb as a butt.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Well you should do lots of tricks to build up your combo, but then a single held trick is worth more points.

Oh brilliant
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    I usually do 1-2 tricks per jump (more on a rail) until I get to about 12-14x, then do single big tricks per jump and grind. Always keep you multipler up too, if it's dropping between jumps do a manual or quick flip. Trick off everything too, walls are just as good as ramps as the ramps themselves.

Also the biggest tip for racing is if you're going off a ramp jump before the lip. You'll keep way more speed and get less height, which means more time boosting.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    I'll get it if there's no equipment requirement for any of the runs. Also if there's no pits. Or deadly descents.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    This game seems MUCH harder then the previous. I'm glad I noticed one of the hints that said holding a trick is better tehn switching between 50 tricks, which in Tricky was the ......trick. Also, the races are always CLOSE. I found I ahve to trick perfectly to get unlimited boost, keep the tricks up, and if I fall or miss time ANYTHING boom, computer wins. Really fucking hard. I'm only on the second mountain!! Egadzooks!!!

Don't be afraid to grind a little to level up your characters. A couple levels and a new board are usually what helps me jump from Bronze to Gold on the races.

g4OlSIF.jpg
    So apparently the mountain is going to have 9 drops, and the pack consisting of the mountain and classic skins is going to cost 7.99, or you can buy them separately for 5.99 each.

Also, 3 new songs.

That's not a bad amount of content for 8 dollars.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
    Of course by 9 drops, I'm sure they mean 3 tracks with Race, Trick, and Descent modes.

I really hate their use of the term 'drops'. Probably the most misleading marketing they've done.

meh, I'll wait until it's out and hear people's opinions on it. Here's a short teaser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r02hffU2RFI

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »
    meh, I'll wait until it's out and hear people's opinions on it. Here's a short teaser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r02hffU2RFI

Sweet! I can't wait, looks nice and open with a chance to really focus on tricks and carving rather than dodging trees.

Oh, and my style for getting points is...

i) Do tonnes of short tricks first, backflip out of the gate, grind to the jump, then try to do three grabs on the first jump etc. Continue until you max your combo
    ii) Do long tricks
    iii) Rewind if you fall in a trick event and are doing well. The loss of points isn't that bad.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • chidonachidona Registered User regular
    Oh man, this is a day 1 thing for me.

73 million for #1? It's going to be an insane mountain.

• WarribsWarribs Registered User regular
    360 - Ranik LoGaan, looking for some highscores to compete with!

apparently may 1st is when the new tricky DLC hits

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Who is ConfusedWalrus and how are you so good at this.

Also, the final deadly descent is REALLY pissing me off.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    The Tricky DLC is going to pull me back into this game for sure (I've been sidestepping it for Trials, Fez, and Infamous. I'm sorry SSX! I'm sorry!)

So the DLC is out today. This video shows what the mountain looks like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2Jbii_mAVw

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
    Man that was a quiet roll out.

How much is it?

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    Man that was a quiet roll out.

How much is it?
    640 points ($8) for Mt. Eddie and the classic characters together. Or you can buy them seperate for 480 points ($6) each.

Well I bought it. It's up on the PSN store if you search for it.

So far I'm very pleased. It's technically one big run cut up so you can do different sections, but there's 5 different trick events and 4 race events, so it's not a bad chunk of content. And from what I've seen there's a very nice lack of bullshit. The bottomless pits are all far out of your way on the sides of the courses, so if you fall into them it's very much your fault. There is one area that is completely full of trees, but it's really not that bad.

It's nice to have a bunch of retro characters too. Only thing that sucks is you have to level them up. So say if you like Elise and want to play as Retro Elise, you have to start from level 1, it's not just a skin.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
    I heard them talking about this on the Bombcast this week and said the multiplayer completely died over the course of the last month. Kind of sad but It was fun while it lasted, I sent mine back to GameFly already since once I did all the runs it felt like there wasn't much content left.

• ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I pulled the game out last night after a month on hiatus and found it just as fresh and challenging as ever. Gunwarrior and BlitzAce's times are going to keep me occupied for quite a while, I think.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    ruzkin wrote: »
    I pulled the game out last night after a month on hiatus and found it just as fresh and challenging as ever. Gunwarrior and BlitzAce's times are going to keep me occupied for quite a while, I think.

Yeah, once I kick my D3 addiction, I'm coming back to SSX. I neglected it for Xenoblade and D3... I miss it so.

So this is getting a patch with true Head-To-Head multiplayer now. Too little too late I think.

Allforce wrote: »
    So this is getting a patch with true Head-To-Head multiplayer now. Too little too late I think.

ah yeah, that sucks. i sold it like last week to a buddy, now i hear this. :/

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I'm wondering can I get this game for the cheap anywhere?

Kind of missed out on it when it first came out because of surprise financial problems but I would really like to pick it up.

I should really go back and get the achievements, shouldn't be too hard to get diamond and platinum stuff now.

Also I bought Mt. Eddie but only ran it once.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Get outta my brain

...actually might be pretty hard to get that "collect 500 geotags" one.

Oh brilliant