As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Shadowrun | This Thread's got Black Ice, Chummer. Find the New One.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I know it's not a workday, but I hope they release an update for the next funding level today. Wanna know what's a possibility.

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I know it's not a workday, but I hope they release an update for the next funding level today. Wanna know what's a possibility.

Here ya go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLjCglq2bAg

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    And if they reach that, they'll do a campaign for the Sega CD version!

(Yeah right.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I know it's already funded, but I think I'm going to back it today. I haven't backed anything on kickstarter yet, and I've never played a Shadowrun game besides the FPS, which apparently everyone hates, but the way Weisman talked about it in the video pretty much sold me. I've always been interested in cyberpunk settings too.

Steam: offday
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    So Shadowrun novels: which ones will not cause me to jab my eyes out with a screwdriver, but instead will make me want to jab my eyes out with a screwdriver and then replace them with better ones?
    Neuromancer (bear with me on this)
    While it isn't a book made for Shadowrun, the entirety of the book is what Shadowrun is based off of. It's where we get Street Samurai, Deckers, and vast swathes of the terminology and technology in the game. You could easily read the book as both something external to Shadowrun and something that's about Shadowrun.

I've read them multiple times. That said I'm not opposed to people recommending cyberpunk instead of Shadowrun books.
    Glal wrote: »
    Want those tags so badly. But $125... :(

I'm thinking the same thing. Counter argument: it's $125 that --let me continue to beat my dead horse-- kicks MS in the crotch for doing nothing with FASA after buying them.
    I'm not quite sure what you mean. In the 7 or 8 years that Microsoft owned Fasa interactive, they released around 7 games. How did they do nothing with them after buying them?

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Esh wrote: »

Here ya go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLjCglq2bAg

I think another reason I'm interested in backing this game is that Weisman generally seems like a nice guy. You can tell how thankful he is and how passionate he is about his game. And when that's the case I don't see how he can go wrong. I also have no problem giving nice people my money. Especially considering how many douchebag developers there are.

anoffday on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I love the Dunkelzahn article on the wall.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The "exclusive" mission seems controversial, if you pay attention to the comments. I am pretty sure he's going to be taking that one back.. it seems most people want it to be available to everyone... and honestly I would prefer it too.

Shurakai on
    edited April 2012
    Shurakai wrote: »
    The "exclusive" mission seems controversial, if you pay attention to the comments. I am pretty sure he's going to be taking that one back.. it seems most people want it to be available to everyone... and honestly I would prefer it too.

Can he just take it back though? And I don't get the uproar about it. I mean it's nice to see everyone want the mission to be there for all players, but at the same time it's just 1 mission. Why not let the backers feel cool knowing they got a special mission for backing it? What's the big deal? Why isn't there an uproar about the special ability for backers at 30 and above?

anoffday on
  • Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Shurakai wrote: »

Can he just take it back though? And I don't get the uproar about it. I mean it's nice to see everyone want the mission to be there for all players, but at the same time it's just 1 mission. Why not let the backers feel cool knowing they got a special mission for backing it? What's the big deal? Why isn't there an uproar about the special ability for backers at 30 and above?

Wasn't there an exclusive mission in the new Deus Ex if you pre-ordered it that featured a character from the original game? I think some feathers got ruffled when that was announced but it turned out to be not that big a deal in the end.

edited April 2012
    I don't understand the uproar either. The backers who are getting the mission are getting pissed? Do they think that the extra 500k is solely funding this one mission? That cash is going to go to so much more. I don't think these people realize that more polish is better than more big features.

Esh on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Due to the game's timing, I am not sure if this game will be able to be made canon or not. I mean, anything's possible...

But if it is, and they tie in the SNES and Genesis games... I've always considered those non-canon (the SNES one takes place in 2042, I believe).. Yeah, awesome. :)

And I won't lie. When I flipped through Dawn of the Artifacts 4 and saw what character was returning, my heart skipped a beat and I got REALLY excited.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Esh wrote: »
    I don't understand the uproar either. The backers who are getting the mission are getting pissed? Do they think that the extra 500k is solely funding this one mission? That cash is going to go to so much more. I don't think these people realize that more polish is better than more big features.

From what I'm reading, it sounds like a lot of people think it'll be added later on as DLC and they're afraid of going down that road.

Thing is Weisman doesn't really seem like the kind of guy who is keen on doing something like that.

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Maybe it won't be SR4 canon, but personally that doesn't bother me at all. I buy the SR4 books, but because I support Shadowrun, not because I prefer the latest edition. As long as this game is Shadowrun, I'll probably shell out for it. If it's a fun game and makes me think fondly of rockers, deckers, decks, program carriers, etc, than that's even better for me.

Bigity on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    Maybe it won't be SR4 canon, but personally that doesn't bother me at all. I buy the SR4 books, but because I support Shadowrun, not because I prefer the latest edition. As long as this game is Shadowrun, I'll probably shell out for it. If it's a fun game and makes me think fondly of rockers, deckers, decks, program carriers, etc, than that's even better for me.

Agreed. And quite honestly, it would be awesome if something in this game turned out to inform stuff that Jason and co. do going forward. The release of the 4th edition 2050 book seems to imply that it is on their mind, at least.

I mean hell. I fell in love with the game thanks to the SNES version, found the 3rd edition sourcebook in like 98/99, and have been an avid follower of the game ever since. Or better yet, I actually supported whatever the hell they did with Battletech and Wizkids, because I knew Randall and I knew he'd do an awesome job of making sure classic didn't get stomped on. But that's just me. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Ok honestly it's getting ot the point where I want some of these to not get funded because my wallet is going to strangle me soon.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    You know, I keep looking at these funding levels and wishing that USB dogtag set was separate from the box set and available at a lower level. Something that awesome should be more readily available; I can't see paying 125 for the box set since most of that stuff would be wasted on me (I just don't care about having a physical copy of a game), but I could easily see bumping up to, say, 80 bucks if it meant getting those USB dogtags. Those are something I could actually use instead of just getting them lost in a move or something like that.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    You know, I keep looking at these funding levels and wishing that USB dogtag set was separate from the box set and available at a lower level. Something that awesome should be more readily available; I can't see paying 125 for the box set since most of that stuff would be wasted on (I just don't care about having a physical copy of a game), but I could easily see bumping up to, say, 80 bucks if it meant getting those USB dogtags.

I'm with you. There is no space in my desires or my life for physical copies of games.

Gaslight wrote: »
    You know, I keep looking at these funding levels and wishing that USB dogtag set was separate from the box set and available at a lower level. Something that awesome should be more readily available; I can't see paying 125 for the box set since most of that stuff would be wasted on (I just don't care about having a physical copy of a game), but I could easily see bumping up to, say, 80 bucks if it meant getting those USB dogtags.

I'm with you. There is no space in my desires or my life for physical copies of games.

I'm the opposite. Don't get me wrong. My steam and gog libraries are not lacking at all, but there's something about having a physical copy of a game with a box and a manual. I'm always picking up physical copies of old games, including PC, when I find them even if I own a digital version.

However I'm not that into them that I need to spend 125 bucks.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Gaslight wrote: »

I'm the opposite. Don't get me wrong. My steam and gog libraries are not lacking at all, but there's something about having a physical copy of a game with a box and a manual. I'm always picking up physical copies of old games, including PC, when I find them even if I own a digital version.

However I'm not that into them that I need to spend 125 bucks.

The way I see it, a bonus is just that.... a bonus.

It's not that you're buying something and that's what's supporting the game development. You're paying what you can to support a game, and you get certain rewards for paying a little more. It's not so much "Do I want the reward for the $125 range". Instead, it's a question of "what do I want to, or what can I, give to make this game the best it can be, and give it the best chance at being that way".

Meh, there's a definitive issue of incentive here. I could justify spending the 60 because of getting something physical along with everything else; I just don't have the cash to casually spend that much on a game I won't see for 18-24 months and don't even really know what it's going to be like yet.

I mean, I'm not going to cry foul that something like the dogtags aren't available at a lower level because it's unfair or something like that, but they're good enough that I could see their addition to an 80/100 dollar level as potentially drawing me in. It would mean I couldn't get other stuff at the moment, but there's a worthwhile tradeoff there.

Heck, the whole point of the tiered reward system is that you are specifically getting rewarded for what you contribute. If it wasn't incentivized in some way, this Kickstarter stuff would make a fraction of what it does. People want something for their money, especially when it's going towards some nebulous non-existent product which has yet to be made.

• acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    Meh, I was already in at $100 ($115, stupid international shipping) so I figure an extra $25 for a really cool dadie isn't going to break my bank any more than it already is.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Just upped mine to the $125.

I was seriously considering the hardback book... and getting the soundtrack, poster, and dogtags, along with a physical copy for $25 more?

Why not. I mean hell, I've spent more than that on CEs for retail games that didnt have half that much stuff in them.

edited April 2012
    Just upped mine to the $125.

I was seriously considering the hardback book... and getting the soundtrack, poster, and dogtags, along with a physical copy for $25 more?

Why not. I mean hell, I've spent more than that on CEs for retail games that didnt have half that much stuff in them.

I just did the same thing. I love boxed copies of games. I was wavering between this and doing the $250 level with Wasteland (they've already got my money for the $50 level) but they have plenty of backing right now and I want this Shadowrun game that I've been waiting years for to be really great.

Esh on
  • DockenDocken Registered User regular
    After seeing the 3+ million result for Wasteland 2, I dearly hope this cracks 2 mil... I reckon that would give us a cracking Shadowrun game!

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Well, in at the 125$ mark. Now to spend the rest of the days waffling over whether I want to bump it to 250. Because, you know, I need a hardcover book.

steam_sig.png
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Well, in at the 125$ mark. Now to spend the rest of the days waffling over whether I want to bump it to 250. Because, you know, I need a hardcover book.

Not to talk you out of bumping your pledge, but you get a hardcover copy of book at $125. The reward for the $250 tier is a signed & numbered special edition of the hardcover book.

• TrenogTrenog Registered User regular

You still get the hardcover book at the $125 mark, it's just that the $250 pledge value has a SIGNED hardcover book.

steam_sig.png
    Malkor wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »
    opium is all natural shit son

makes you stronger

It also makes you immune to time.
    Bama wrote: »
    Two weeks ago, I lost the bulk of my female friends

She really hates it when you call her that.
    FCD wrote: »
    Ahhh, Orochimaru. Or, as I like to call him, Japanese Pedophile Voldemort.
    edited April 2012
    I'd settle for a certain amount reward being them printing a new run of SR1-3 books in hardcover, ESPECIALLY Rigger 3 Revised!

Bigity on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Now that I think about it, I'm slightly concerned that they're perhaps overpromising with the physical goodies, since $125 gets you a physical boxed copy of the game, the USB dogtags, a t-shirt, a Doc Wagon card and a hardcover book. Which is a pretty sweet deal, but I'm worried it might actually cost them more to produce and ship all that swag than they'll make in development funds.

edited April 2012
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Now that I think about it, I'm slightly concerned that they're perhaps overpromising with the physical goodies, since $125 gets you a physical boxed copy of the game, the USB dogtags, a t-shirt, a Doc Wagon card and a hardcover book. Which is a pretty sweet deal, but I'm worried it might actually cost them more to produce and ship all that swag than they'll make in development funds.

I was actually wondering about that myself, but I'm sure they've got it figured out.

I'm considering telling them to keep my t-shirt, as I don't generally (at all) wear gaming schwag. Save them a couple of bucks. I will keep my Doc Wagon card in my wallet though of course.

Esh on
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular

Not to talk you out of bumping your pledge, but you get a hardcover copy of book at $125. The reward for the $250 tier is a signed & numbered special edition of the hardcover book.

Well, yes, but it isnt a book without signatures on it. I mean pfft. That's like just a pile of papers. (I didn't even realize the 100$ tier was the book. Apparently reading comprehension is beyond me, so maybe I don't actually need a book after all!)

steam_sig.png
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Basically it's all pretty well priced out. Shirts and doc wagon cards are inexpensive even when well made, the Hardcover book is probably subcontracted to another company and even at store prices would be about 3-4 times less than the donation, a physical copy of the game is something you're paying for them to make anyways (and can be made for a few dollars), and the USB dogtags are inexpensive as there are plenty of bulk custom USB sellers and the USB drives don't have to be very big at all to hold a copy of the game. Remember, all this stuff would be expensive on the consumer side of the equation, but it's all very inexpensive to make or for companies to buy in bulk.

• lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Someone hack into HairBrained Scheme's Mainframe and get us some info. I need an update badly.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Someone hack into HairBrained Scheme's Mainframe and get us some info. I need an update badly.

I don't even want to know what type of IC are lurking in there.

steam_sig.png
    Psychotropic of course. With a suggestion to pledge more cash.

Man, my will to resist the $125 dollar version is eroding. The more I look at it, the less I see a boxed copy I won't want and the more I see a new Shadowrun book, USB dog tags, and a gold Doc Wagon card.

I really seriously doubt I will be able to prevent myself from justifying that purchase.

Or feeling guilty about it.

edited April 2012
    I wrote them and asked if it was going to be class or point system based for character creation, this was my response...

Harebrained Schemes LLC says:

John -

Great question - The truth is that we’re still early in the development process and are not ready to talk about specific design decisions yet. Things evolve from concept through preproduction through production and even through testing. We guarantee that when we have something to share, you’ll be hearing a lot from us.

HBS

Not sure if it's a canned response or not.

Esh on
    Probably a canned response, but their FAQ responses imply that they are taking note of which kinds of questions are getting asked a lot. I dunno when they'll answer something like that, but they'll definitely answer something that significant eventually.

• SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    Signed up today. Hoping this makes it to 1.5 mil.

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800