As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dark Souls] If only I could be so grossly incandescent (as Durante) - Res fix in OP

• ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    Having never played Demon's Souls, I'm watching a couple walkthroughs and... this looks IMPOSSIBLE. 1-1 seems about the size of the entire Undead Burg + Parish + Lower Burg, and there are no continue points along the way? Is this typical?

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    you can swicth off your console and it'll load from a certain point quite near to where you left it last. But if you die, you start over from the beginning.

As for the running past goons, I only do that with the initial guys, up to the point where I reach the wooden stairs where the firebombing guys are as the early dudes don't follow you.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    ruzkin wrote: »
    Having never played Demon's Souls, I'm watching a couple walkthroughs and... this looks IMPOSSIBLE. 1-1 seems about the size of the entire Undead Burg + Parish + Lower Burg, and there are no continue points along the way? Is this typical?

Boletarian Palace has a lot of shortcuts. You can clear that area in under 30 minutes if you know what you're doing.

wVEsyIc.png
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    There are shortcuts that you periodically open up that basically act as continue points. Also I think you're vastly overestimating the size and difficulty. It's maybe around the size of upper burg + parish if you count all the optional side paths. It's also not that hard - it's basically all fodder enemies and a couple mildly challenging knights. There's nothing on the level of the taurus demon, the bull or the channeler.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    So Dark Souls replaced a lot of length and padding with shorter, more intense sections and harder enemies? Because honestly, I prefer a short, sharp challenge, and DaSo has been perfect for that so far.

Just about to take on the bosses of Anor Londo again. Wish me luck :(

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I wouldn't call it padding at all. I loved exploring Boletarian palace. Consider that when you arrive at the gates and look up, almost everything you see is something you can explore, even off in the distance of the battlements.

It's my favorite area in the game.

Well, it would be the Shrine of Storms, but it's too short.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    That's just the style of world 1 - lots and lots of ambushes by soldier type enemies, which are easily defused by playing cautiously and paying attention. The other worlds all have their own unique challenges which are distinct from one another. Hell, even the later parts of world 1 put a different spin on things, although there's still a focus on the soldiers.

I'll still be down for our L1 run, it just might be an hour or so later. Try not to do Boletarian without me. :P Do something I loathe, like say, the swamp.

wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2012
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'll still be down for our L1 run, it just might be an hour or so later. Try not to do Boletarian without me. :P Do something I loathe, like say, the swamp.
    K, Cool. I've already done all of the X-1 levels solo, but I can always help you do them.

Lork on
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    ruzkin wrote: »

Boletarian Palace has a lot of shortcuts. You can clear that area in under 30 minutes if you know what you're doing.

Yeah, it just seemed like some slightly larger undead burg, really. And the enemies are pushovers.

Speaking of 1-1, I found a good farming opportunity by killing the Red Eyes knight repeatedly, getting me slightly over 2000 souls each time. This is a good opportunity to get some spells and equipment down.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
    Don't bother with the red eye knight. Killing the skeletons at the beginning of 6-1 will get you just as many souls in half the time. You just need to make sure you have a weapon that's effective against them.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Red Eye Knights are so easy to kill, to secret to them is backstabbing.

Okay, so 2-1 was easy. Tried out 3-1 and, gotta say, fuck Mind Flayers. Oh well, they burn nicely. HEHE, BURN!

jagobannerpic.jpg
    I love doing 3-1 with help. And I'll be on in a few.

wVEsyIc.png
    FFFFUCK THESE STUPID GAPS AND THESE STUPID MIND-FLAYERS! GAAAAH! It's like that one part in Dark Souls all over again... no wait... there was no stupid enemy who froze you then frenched you with it's sharp tentacle-tongue thing... never mind.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    There should be a message that says 'Just kidding, it REALLY starts here' just for 3-1.

wVEsyIc.png
    Do you have a computer within arm's reach of your PS3? I just realized that the only way we'd be able to communicate on PSN is text messages, and I don't have a usb keyboard. I do have Steam though. Anyway I'll put my sign down in 3-1 in the meantime. @Gaming-Freak if your level is still low enough to see it (<=10 I think), you're welcome to my help as well.

edited April 2012
    Yep, I have my CPU right by my TV. I have a Steam ID too, cj_iwakura .

Making my character now. What should I roll? Hmm...

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    Wait a sec, I pretty much have to use Royalty for a L1 run, don't I?

Sweet.

wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2012
    Yeah you do. That's why I said you can be whatever the base level is for the class you choose, so it doesn't have to be all royals all the time. Of course, it's fucking Demon's Souls and nobody wants to make it any harder on themselves than it needs to be, so it'll be that anyway.

Lork on
    Lork wrote: »
    Do you have a computer within arm's reach of your PS3? I just realized that the only way we'd be able to communicate on PSN is text messages, and I don't have a usb keyboard. I do have Steam though. Anyway I'll put my sign down in 3-1 in the meantime. @Gaming-Freak if your level is still low enough to see it (<=10 I think), you're welcome to my help as well.

Nah, I'm like Soul Level 19. They're just wrecking me up because I'm in soul form, and I have less health. Still, I reached the second arch-stone (THANK GOD), and these guys aren't too bad if I keep my distance, and I attack first. It's just... I don't like this place! It's weird! Some enemies attack me, some don't. Some run up in my face and flail their arms around while not doing anything to hurt me at all!

jagobannerpic.jpg
    edited April 2012
    Yeah you do. That's why I said you can be whatever the base level is for the class you choose, so it doesn't have to be all royals all the time. Of course, it's fucking Demon's Souls and nobody wants to make it any harder on themselves than it needs to be, so it'll be that anyway.

I did Magician first, then Knight or Royalty(I think), then Hunter. Leaning towards Wanderer this time.
    Royalty would be nice, for old time's sake.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    Okay, never mind... somehow I wandered back to the first Archstone, son-of-a....

jagobannerpic.jpg
    Hmm, I used to think Dark Souls' narrator for the OP was the same as Demon's Souls, but now I don't think it is. I think De's is slightly better. Much moodier.

wVEsyIc.png
    Okay, never mind... somehow I wandered back to the first Archstone, son-of-a....
    It's not really possible to "wander" back to the first archstone... or even reach it at all from the second one. Are you sure you're not mistaken? You fight a boss before each archstone, so that's one way to be sure.

No Vanguard kill. :( About halfway through 1-1.

wVEsyIc.png
    It's not really possible to "wander" back to the first archstone... or even reach it at all from the second one. Are you sure you're not mistaken? You fight a boss before each archstone, so that's one way to be sure.

No, I fell down a gap from the fourth floor to the third floor without realizing it, and wandering through the path I ended up back at the archstone. Really, it's a stupid mistake on my part. I'm much further now, trying to figure out how to deal with this stupid ballista trap while getting lovely items at the same time.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    1-1's done. Where to? :P

wVEsyIc.png
    1-1's done. Where to? :P

2-1, of course. Unlock Ed.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    edited April 2012
    I'll put my sign down next to the archstone at 2-1.

Lork on
    K, on the way.

wVEsyIc.png
    3-1 out of the way, but didn't save Freke yet, so going back to do that after I spend these hard earned souls. So, what did I learn from this experience? FUCK MIND-FLAYERS. Also, get better weapons.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    Alright, armor spider is toast. Where to next?

Fun stuff. What have you done so far?

wVEsyIc.png
    The first parts of every world and 1-2. I probably won't be summoning you for a while. I mean, we could try to take on flamelurker, but we wouldn't have a chance in hell until you get some better equipment.

Pfft, I can take that bastard with my magic alone. Hmm. Shrine of Storms?

wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2012
    Putting my sign down now...

At the very least, you'll need to farm for fresh spice if you're going to do that :p

Edit: forgot you have to be in soul form in this game.

Lork on
    edited April 2012
    My favorite mage gear is in 3-1, so I'm good with the Wizard stuff for now.

Did some upgrading with Ed, but I need way more stones. Gonna backtrack for the PFS in 1-1 once the dragons are gone.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    Man, tight quarters are brutal when you're phantoming. Combine an already dangerous space with even less room to maneuver than usual and a, let's say, less than ideal netcode, and you've got trouble.

edited April 2012
    So I'm deciding between a Blueblood Sword build, and a Moonlight Sword Build. Moonlight Sword isn't as awesome as it is in Dark Souls, from what I can tell, but the pure magic scaling and magic damage is tempting....

As for the Blueblood sword, I really gotta play my stats right. I don't think I'll raise my luck past 25, and instead just focus on enchants instead, because I heard Light Weapon makes it a force to be reckoned with.

Another friend of mine suggested a dex build, but so far I don't like the dex weapons in this game. They're good when I enchant 'em, but otherwise I'm not seeing good damage variables from them.

EDIT: I just got Fire Spray and Soul Ray. Excuse me while I giggle like a school girl before roasting enemies.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
This discussion has been closed.