As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FEZ] is out on Live Arcade! Use spoiler tags when discussing puzzles and their solution!

• Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    If you think it's non-fun puzzle-platforming, why did you buy it?

I mean, that's what it was touted as (except the non-fun part)

And these games do have trials

Whoops... I mean the non "fun puzzle platforming" parts. I like the puzzle platforming, not so much the crazy obtuse puzzles.

No I don't.
  • Guitar Hero Of TimeGuitar Hero Of Time Registered User regular
    The puzzles are what take this from an ok game with great style, to a great game, for me. Modern games are sooo linear and handholdy....this game actually treats the player like an adult.

This game is amazing and I am trying hard to complete it on my own.

• EliteBattlemanEliteBattleman Registered User regular
    I feel like this game is one of those unsolvable puzzles that some secret government agency is using to recruit people.

This is my sig.
    There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
    I like puzzle games. Spacechem is one of my favorite games I've played recently. But some of this stuff in Fez is just... really really involved. Like, obsessively involved. But the platforming stuff and some of the easier, none-cipher related puzzles have been fun.

No I don't.
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    well i got to the credits
    end stuff:
    yay for new game plus since I had exactly 32 cubes going into the end
    i love that they did the deal with it shades, disappointed that they don't appear on the sprite all the time

went and spoiled myself on how to read the cube text and I'm glad I did because it's totally bullshit and I never would have figured it out:
    in the area you get to through the tree over the main warp gate there's a lazy dog and a quick fox

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Don't let the cipher talk put anyone off. I played for joyful hours last night just exploring and platform puzzling. The cipher stuff is very much a take or leave side dish.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Not sure if things are just decoration, or part of some puzzle that I'm not seeing.
    Also, what's up with that bell? O_o

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    So I bought it even though I didn't like the demo (because I'm dumb like that). Turns out it's fantastic. If anything I'd recommend to people that if they have a passing interest in the game, just go for it, don't bother with the trial.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Played about 45 minutes. Pace seems really slow. Not sure this is for me. Love the retro-with-modern-tech look though.

Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    So I bought it even though I didn't like the demo (because I'm dumb like that). Turns out it's fantastic. If anything I'd recommend to people that if they have a passing interest in the game, just go for it, don't bother with the trial.

Yay! I was frightened for a while I'd lost you as my 'man on the Internet who likes things I like.'

Everyone needs one.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Caedere wrote: »
    Having trouble with secrets in the first area.
    I somehow unlocked the "Cryptographer" achievement, but I don't know what I did to do it. :lol:

Also, there's a room with a skull and a bunch of Tetris shapes.... I have no clue at all what it wants from Mr.

Cryptographer achievement.
    It is from a specific combination of right and left trigger pulls. You can get it randomly just by playing.

The reason behind it is revealed later on, when you
    find a wall with a QR code on it. If you scan the QR code with a smartphone, it contains the text for the sequence.
    Wow. That's complete bullshit.

camo_sig2.png
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    For those who don't want to attempt to learn Cubin' or whatever the language is called, I've put together a chart:
    tkGOM.png
    The language itself is read top-to-bottom, right-to-left.

There also seems to be a number system, but I haven't gotten around to figuring that out yet.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    Cool. I was wondering if there would be an in game obvious key at some point or if I'd need to wait for the internet to provide.

If it's not a spoiler, what was your rosetta stone?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

Yay! I was frightened for a while I'd lost you as my 'man on the Internet who likes things I like.'

The demo really isn't a fair representation, it lacks any of the charm of the actual game and the sense of exploration, it just seems like a retro platformer with a gimmick, whereas I'm really loving the full game.

Though as someone pointed out, how did the 2D villagers decorate the other walls in their homes?

edited April 2012
    jclast wrote: »
    Caedere wrote: »
    Having trouble with secrets in the first area.
    I somehow unlocked the "Cryptographer" achievement, but I don't know what I did to do it. :lol:

Also, there's a room with a skull and a bunch of Tetris shapes.... I have no clue at all what it wants from Mr.

Cryptographer achievement.
    It is from a specific combination of right and left trigger pulls. You can get it randomly just by playing.

The reason behind it is revealed later on, when you
    find a wall with a QR code on it. If you scan the QR code with a smartphone, it contains the text for the sequence.
    Wow. That's complete bullshit.

Hah! Far from bullshit as the code is hidden in more than the one place apparently! I bet it's all over. I found it:
    In the house in town which has the hidden treasure chest through the fireplace. The map was still showing a secret to be found so I was trying everything. Finally noticed the picture on the wall with a line of guys with hats on the left or right side of their heads. This is the code!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Re Stone Owl:
    I figured part of the secret out. If you stand in the door way you just came through then rotate the world all the way around so that you are behind the pedestal you can hit up and go through the door but you enter a different world with a treasure in it. When I went back the owl now always looked away from me but the map still said there was a secret there. ARGHH

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    For those who don't want to attempt to learn Cubin' or whatever the language is called, I've put together a chart:
    tkGOM.png

There also seems to be a number system, but I haven't gotten around to figuring that out yet.

I got one to four if that helps.
    Based on the four treasure maps
    1. Box with line at top middle.
    2. Box with line on the right middle.
    3. Box with smaller box in the top right.
    4. Box with line on the left middle.

These have to be those numbers since that was the order I had to go through the doors on the maps to get to the secret.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Can I just say how fucking cool it is that this game uses QR codes?

That's pretty cool

• DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    As someone who doesn't have a smart phone, I think it's really dumb.

But as long as you don't need the QR codes, I guess it's fine.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's less stupid if it's available other ways. If it was just the code though, that's lame. I shouldn't need a computer phone to play a game.

camo_sig2.png
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Played only the very beginning.
    When the cube started talking in the strange language. God damn it. I'm going to need to decipher that. It looked like a letter substitution with the words possibly running up and down.

I need a notebook for this game.

Translation of what the hexahedron says at the start:
    HI THERE HOW ARE YOU
    I WILL BE YOUR
    HEXAHEDRON TODAY
    SO THIS IS JUST
    ROUTINE PROCEDURE
    BUT I DO NEED
    SOMETHING HERE JUST
    GOES WRONG
    IF SOMETHING DOES
    GO WRONG YOU ARE
    GOING TO HAVE TO
    CLEAN UP THE MESS
    HEY WAIT A MINUTE
    CAN YOU EVEN
    UNDERSTAMD
    WHAT I AM SAYING
    AND WHAT IS WRONG
    WITH YOUR HEAD
    OH WELL YOU ARE
    HERE NOW MIGHT AS
    WELL DO THIS THING
    PREPARE TO HAVE
    YOUR MIND BLOWN
    ALL RIGHT
    WELCOME TO THE
    CLUB ENJOY YOUR
    FREE HAT
    I KIND OF THOUGHT
    MAYBE THIS WOULD
    NOT WORK BECAUSE
    OF YOUR WEIRD HEAD
    BUT EVERYTHING LOOKS
    AOK FROM OVER HERE
    THANKS FOR THE HAND
    YOU CAN GO HOME
    NOW IT WAS VERY NICE
    TO MEET YOU

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    Now that I've decided to just go with it, all these puzzles are tickling my brain in just the right way. Just have to learn to relax and let it get inside of you.

No I don't.
    The clock puzzle is almost as bad as the cloud for the star in Braid.

steam_sig.png
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    Oh God it's finally out!

• Inker2000Inker2000 Registered User regular
    this game was news to me, but i checked it out cuz it reminded me of meat boy.

it's quite a bit different than that, but an interesting game in and of itself. i would consider it a cross between a 2d platformer and the collectathon games made famous on the n64. certainly recommend it, especially for only 800 microsoft points.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    tkGOM.png

This is amazing. No way in hell was I about to try and figure out a cryptographic sequence.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    Now some just needs to work out the Tetris block language and what I think is a mini version of the cube language, though that may just be numbers?

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Is the answer to the bell puzzle somewhere around the start or may I not have come across it yet?

• ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm earning black cubes out of nowhere without understanding why. I found an area with six small moveable blocks and a tetris-esque rosetta stone behind them. I assembled the blocks into the shapes indicated on the stone but nothing happened. Then I pushed some of them around and messed up the shapes, and earned a black cube. What in the world?

g4OlSIF.jpg
    Black cubes are the secret cubes.

• ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    Well, I get that they're the secret cubes. I just don't know how I'm earning them.

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm enjoying going around this world collecting cubes, but these puzzles are way too fucking obtuse for me.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    ruzkin wrote: »
    Well, I get that they're the secret cubes. I just don't know how I'm earning them.

Secretly.

• mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    ruzkin wrote: »
    I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm earning black cubes out of nowhere without understanding why. I found an area with six small moveable blocks and a tetris-esque rosetta stone behind them. I assembled the blocks into the shapes indicated on the stone but nothing happened. Then I pushed some of them around and messed up the shapes, and earned a black cube. What in the world?

For that puzzle.

You have to make the shape that's NOT pictured on the stone. They're all ways to fold out a cube. You had to make one but it had to be one not shown.

"You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
    Right. I'm at 204.3% or whatever. Got 32 cubes and anticubes plus everything but one piece of the heart cube. The only place not gold is the monolith, which from looking at the leader boards, only one person on the planet has figured it out. Wierdly there are people at 209% but that is apparently just from the leader boards not updating unless you unlock something else.

Also there is a glitch that can get a 33rd anticube but I can't find anywhere where someone says how that got it.

Haha! Just came across the in game way you have a chance of getting the code cipher and it is genius.
    In the room with the writing implement artifact is a stone pillar that translates to 'The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog' (famously a sentence that uses all letters of the alphabet). It's only after I finish translating it from @amnesiasoft 's key that I notice that there is a cute little pixely fox jumping over a dog right there in front of me on the screen next to the pillar. Brilliant.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    I have 5 more cube to find. Its starting to feel more and more like I actually need to decode all these runes. So close, yet so far...

edited April 2012
    I have 5 more cube to find. Its starting to feel more and more like I actually need to decode all these runes. So close, yet so far...
    Thus far I'm finding the translations so far provide absolutely nothing to get more cubes (Though I only have 31 cubes and 16 anti-cubes). I'm really getting lost on those tetromino code puzzles. Some of them seem to do things, while others don't seem to do anything at all. Am I missing something?

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The GB Quicklook on this is funny. The game is trying Jeff's sanity.

http://youtu.be/QC2oZteKKJI

It sounds like the game is made to baffle people. No wonder it took so long to make. Is there supposed to be a PC release?

Edit. Looking at their blog. It seems that Polytron is having plenty of trouble with the 360 version. Unless there is a separate team working on it, I doubt there will be PC release soon. Still, it is an XNA game. Porting it should be extremely easy.

Krathoon on
    Woo, figured out the bell through an educated guess!

Sort of sad my leader board position has tanked, but I guess that is the nature of puzzle games post Internet....