As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Avengers: AvX CHAMPIONS. "wedabes" declares Captain America.

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Jeph Loeb and Simone Bianchi are returning to Wolverine with July's issue #310, for what is tentatively titled "Sabretooth Reborn."

what is this nonsense

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    what the world never knew it wanted

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    Infinite Comics reference - why does Nova love dubstep? "Blame Mark Waid," Quesada says. "Mark Waid loves dubstep."

Hahahaha

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Yes!

YESSSSS!!!

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Wolverine. By Jeph Loeb. Be still, my heart.

I like Aja, am indifferent to Fraction, and don't like Hawkeye. So ... :/

Crimsondude on
    Is there a concern with "oversaturiatng" people with Marvel characters, between comics, movies, etc.? Panel, collectively: "Never." Singh: "As long as we don't make a movie like Green Lantern, no one is going to complain."

sick_fires_bro.gif

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    haha, damn!

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    THAT'S SO UNPROFESSIONAL

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    suck it, green lantern

you suck it for being a bad movie

a bad movie geebs spent good money to see

7656367.jpg
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Loeb back on Wolverine? Finally! I've been waiting years to see the rest of this story of Wolverine being a million-year old wolfman.

Apparently he has more awful stories about that terrible villain he created that everyone hates he is just dying to tell.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Infinite Comics reference - why does Nova love dubstep? "Blame Mark Waid," Quesada says. "Mark Waid loves dubstep."

Hahahaha

Godddammmmmmmiiiiiiiiit

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Burning all my Waidcomics.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Man, I am kind of not feeling Secret Avengers. Whoever complained that it's a little too heavy on the last page is right; this feel works for X-Force, but it seems a little less awesome with Avengers members.

I wonder if the cosmic stuff in the book will all stop after AVX, or if he plans on revisiting it again once he finishes up this descendants stuff. If all the space faring stuff ends after an arc and is never revisited, I will probably drop the book.

I think Marvel is going to do a bit of a push towards more cosmic stuff after AvX, actually, what with the Guardians of the Galaxy film in development and the Guardians showing up in Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Yeah, but I mean specifically in Secret Avengers. I picked that book up entirely because of the AvX solicits about the Kree. If the book just goes back to being all about dark shadow ops after AvX ends, my heart will be crushed.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I am super excited for Hawkeye

Fraction writing Hawkeye with a similar style/attitude to his Doctor Strange with Aja on art?

fuuuuuck yes

CYpGAPn.png
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Yeah, but I mean specifically in Secret Avengers. I picked that book up entirely because of the AvX solicits about the Kree. If the book just goes back to being all about dark shadow ops after AvX ends, my heart will be crushed.

But that's the whole point of Secret Avengers.

I don't like Fraction's Dr. Strange

:(

I'm kind of wondering if Fraction will end up on FF after AvX. It seems like he's the only other architect that would really fit the book's tone.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

I'm kind of wondering if Fraction will end up on FF after AvX. It seems like he's the only other architect that would really fit the book's tone.
    Dude is writing:
    Iron Man
    Thor
    Defenders
    and now Hawkeye

I think he is full up

CYpGAPn.png
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I am super excited for Hawkeye

Fraction writing Hawkeye with a similar style/attitude to his Doctor Strange with Aja on art?

fuuuuuck yes

If they can do for Hawkeye what they did for Iron Fist (take a character I don't give a shit about and make them cool) great. But Hawkeye (to me) has never been that interesting. Dude with a bow.... meh.

Blankzilla wrote: »

Dude is writing:
    Iron Man
    Thor
    Defenders
    and now Hawkeye

I think he is full up

I'm buying into the theory that many of the major titles are going to change writers after AvX. I could see Fraction trading Iron Man (where he seems to be approaching his endgame) and possibly Thor up for titles he hasn't worked on before. The same way that Bendis is leaving Avengers, and Hickman is walking off the FF books.

Is it pretty much just a conspiracy theory at the moment? Yep, but I am totally there.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    I'm pretty excited for Hawkeye, but I'm curious what Fraction will really do with him.

Spy stuff, I guess, to tie in with the Avengers movie? McCann did the romantic buddy-cop thing as recently as the Heroic Age, Remender has him leading the covert Avengers, and he's a teacher at the Avengers Academy. Additionally, he doesn't have much in the way of an interesting mythology to explore, like Iron Fist, or even any notable villains.

I'd kind of like to see his criminal past explored, and maybe the relationship he has with his brother. I think that could be good story fodder.

Munch wrote: »
    I'd kind of like to see his criminal past explored, and maybe the relationship he has with his brother. I think that could be good story fodder.

You'd probably be more likely to see that coming from Dark Avengers, as long as Barney makes the cut onto that team. It's tricky, because the graphic design and synergistic timing would suggest that the Fraction book will be super forward thinking and more about building new mythology than revisiting the past. Especially since Kate Bishop and Spider-Woman are in the book, according to the C2E2 panel.

Also, I feel like those covers are a direct response to the guy that called out that Green Arrow #1 cover for bad technique.

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    I haven't been reading Fraction's Thor... did the Avengers even acknowledge that he's not dead in any of the books, post Fear Itself? Or are they not even pretending to care about characters dying anymore? He wasn't around during the Osborn arc, and then he's just chilling with the rest of the team when AVX starts.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Munch wrote: »
    I'm pretty excited for Hawkeye, but I'm curious what Fraction will really do with him.

Spy stuff, I guess, to tie in with the Avengers movie? McCann did the romantic buddy-cop thing as recently as the Heroic Age, Remender has him leading the covert Avengers, and he's a teacher at the Avengers Academy. Additionally, he doesn't have much in the way of an interesting mythology to explore, like Iron Fist, or even any notable villains.

Well, if Kate is going to be guest starring, I guess there could be a sort of mentor thing going on alongside everything

Hensler wrote: »
    I haven't been reading Fraction's Thor... did the Avengers even acknowledge that he's not dead in any of the books, post Fear Itself? Or are they not even pretending to care about characters dying anymore? He wasn't around during the Osborn arc, and then he's just chilling with the rest of the team when AVX starts.

He will probably get that next week, in plain Avengers.

Assemble is light continuity, New Avengers and AvX aren't really for adjustments like that. But plain Avengers will for sure give him a "weren't you dead?" bendis-speak scene.

• spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Solar wrote: »
    I like Clint loads

All over your face

I like the look of the new book, it makes the costume look less shitty. I hope they go back to the normal purple and blue eventually. Any word on if this is an ongoing or a mini?

EDIT, also:
    What that book should be teasing is a Hawkeye/Hawkeye book. Clint and Kate doing all kinds of squirrely arrow stuff.

I GET WHAT I WANT! :D

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
    edited April 2012
    Let's see books that will most likely see new writers after AvX,
    Avengers
    New Avengers
    Fantastic Four
    FF(if it doesnt get cancelled)
    Uncanny X-Men

are probably safe bets for new writers, stuff that is a little more questionable

Iron Man
    Thor
    Captain America (Bunn is a co-writer starting in July)

And then very unlikelys
    Secret Avengers
    Wolverine and the X-Men

Sound about right?

UltimateInferno on

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular

I GET WHAT I WANT! :D

Spookymuffin is Kelly Clarkson :)

That Hawkeye announcement would be better as a mini I think, just in terms of having one creative team do their story and that's it, not to be affected by double ships, other artists, and whatever else Marvel throws at books these days. I do agree that it seems like Aja is telling Brett Booth "dude, fuck off" with that #2 cover (it took more than 3 hours I bet!). Because it's Fraction I don't really have an interest in picking it up, unless we also get Moonstone to show up and beat up Mockingbird and Spider-Woman and be Kate's real mentor.

Now, what's this about Gillen leaving Uncanny? He needs to stay because he seems to actually know how to write Cyclops and his intentions without turning it into mustache twirling evil. Hell, the only person I think who could write Uncanny with the current direction and not screw up is Hickman. I would say James Asmus but I don't think Marvel would give their best selling book to him just yet. Soon, though. Soon.

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Hickman goes to Avengers, Bendis goes to GotG/cosmic stuff. Gillen to FF, maybe, since we can be reasonably certain he's done on Uncanny.

I'd say Fraction drops Thor and IM and does Uncanny, but he's done Uncanny before.

The option could be the wheelhouse in the other direction, though. Hickman does four years of Uncanny, Fraction to Avengers, Gillen to FF.

Bunn is going to take over Cap And..., you're right, but Brubaker will keep straight Cap and Winter Soldier.

There's a few problems getting the pieces lined up no matter how you look at it, though:
    1) Both Uncanny and Avengers are incredibly tie-in heavy, which is the last thing Hickman wants. I doubt he's going to get it, but he'd be way better off with a hands-off title like Avengers Forever or Astonishing X-Men. Conversely though, if Marvel is looking for the dude to architect the entire Avengers line for five-ten years, then yeah, they're going with Hickman. (and a coherent plan for Avengers makes more sense than it does for X-Men.)
    2) As an outsider, I don't see Gillen getting a higher-attention job/bigger title. He's already on Uncanny, which is doing fine but not spectacular; he got snubbed a bit with AvX and stuff. He's solidly in the bullpen, but not a giant name dude right now.

The other way to look at it is who are we sure is moving;
    Hickman
    Bendis

Who is likely to move:
    Fraction
    Gillen

Bendis is going some place new, and the after-effect of that is likely Fraction's smaller solo titles being opened up to newer/less prominent writers. FVL, maybe - is he doing an ongoing right now? Both Bunn and Wood are doing their turns on ongoings now, but next year will probably be their shot at the really big stuff.

The simplest answer might actually be Gillen stuck on Uncanny, Hickman to Avengers, Fraction to FF.

huntresssig.jpg
    Gillen's mentioned in a few places that he had a three-part plan for his Uncanny run. Part 1 was the pre-Schism stuff, part 2 Schism, part 3 what's going on right now.

huntresssig.jpg
    I think someone mentioned it here, but Hickman on Iron Man would be fantastic.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I feel like Gillen hasn't even gotten started on Uncanny yet, what with having Fear Itself and Fraction's last arc to work with, along with Greg Land. To me it seems like he's only written 12 issues, and only one of them I didn't like (Uncanny #4).

TexiKen wrote: »
    I feel like Gillen hasn't even gotten started on Uncanny yet, what with having Fear Itself and Fraction's last arc to work with, along with Greg Land. To me it seems like he's only written 12 issues, and only one of them I didn't like (Uncanny #4).

I'm going to be Mary Quite Contrary here and point out that Uncanny #4 was what held me off when I was thinking of dropping it; still my favourite issue.

huntresssig.jpg
    I also feel like Gillen will be off Uncanny after AvX ends.

I think if that rumor about Bendis getting an X-book is true, it will probably be Uncanny.

I don't think Bendis is going to Uncanny, because he keeps saying he's going somewhere new and there's so much pointing towards a cosmic revival.

Out of all of the guesses I just made, Bendis to Guardians of the Galaxy/whichever is the one I feel best about by far.

huntresssig.jpg
    He could go to both, though.

Dude is at least walking away from 3 books.

Defenders new team is Fraction, McKelvie, and Mike Norton.

This discussion has been closed.