As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Legend of Grimrock] is out now!

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    I find it odd that you basically can't max out a tree without focusing entirely on that tree and even then.. not maybe. A level 14 character will only have 45 points to spend (43 if a minotaur) which wouldn't max out a single tree! How odd..

Wait, 13 levels x 4 points each = 52 skill points? Plus anywhere from 1 to 4 by race, plus...stuff...

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    I find it odd that you basically can't max out a tree without focusing entirely on that tree and even then.. not maybe. A level 14 character will only have 45 points to spend (43 if a minotaur) which wouldn't max out a single tree! How odd..

Wait, 13 levels x 4 points each = 52 skill points? Plus anywhere from 1 to 4 by race, plus...stuff...

My warrior just hit 13, he put 16 points in armor, 2 points in athletics, and 50 points in swords. I picked skilled at the start+at least two books of infinite wisdom, maybe 3.

But yeah, I did kind of frontload him. To be fair he is a killing machine, wearing the best armor and weapon in the game, he swings like once every two seconds for 100+ damage.

• Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Goumindong wrote: »
    I beat the game and am going over it again because i feel like i missed a HUGE secret. This time with 3 rogues and a mage.

Mage going down air for a good bit(then either ice/fire/spellcraft or protection, thinking protection) for a certain spell, 2 rogues in front go unarmed/daggers/dodge + 8 ranks in assassination. Rogue in back goes full assassination.

Just get behind things and shred them. Also all humans to maximize skillpoints

edit: Toruum spoilers
    For the life of me, i do not know why I did not use Toruum's remains on the blue crystal. I don't know if it does anything or not. But good lord it should
    It does :P man it felt good. It felt better than killing the endboss, in fact.

I highly recommend thrown weapons, btw. Try to vary your weapons: there aren't that many good daggers in the game.

What if you didn't actually use daggers? The assassination tree isn't dagger specific.

I guess it just depends on if you can find a decent weapon without skill req's

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Well I got 3 skill points per level, not 4 and my 3 minotaurs only started with 1 point each so they all ended up with 43 skill points (except for one who used a book and had 48!). My insect guy had 45.

Edit: I'm dumb. I thought it 3, not 4. It is 4. Still not a lot.

Magus` on
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    I'd like to think that maybe, maybe because there are so many skills and no way to get even a decent number of them, that in future dungeons you can import characters. Or that player made dungeons will have import functionality. That would be awesome.

I just really wanted 24 in Ice Magic and 50 in Spellcraft. Half-cost Frostbolts with 50% reduced CD? Yes please! Not that I needed it to win the game, obviously, but still.

Also what is the best dagger in the game? Feel free to spoil it if you feel it's necessary.

• DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    [shakesfists] Damn you, Spiders!! [/shakesfists]

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I'd like to think that maybe, maybe because there are so many skills and no way to get even a decent number of them, that in future dungeons you can import characters. Or that player made dungeons will have import functionality. That would be awesome.

I don't hate the devs or anything but I don't think they planned this out very well. Grimrock had a pretty quick development for a small team, and there are a lot of weird little quirks and inconsistencies, despite how often people defend them for being intentional.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    Such as? Curious!

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    So I remade my party because I had a hankering for a kung fu minotaur. Then I've got an armor based human, ranger lizard man and the spell fly.

Bows are pretty sweet now I have a dude who can shoot things.

Though, as a heads up guys? Don't set things on fire after you've dumped a bunch of arrows into them. They're flammable.

edited April 2012
    Finished! Took me 21 hours.

Finale thoughts
    That last fight man. That last fight. It actually took me a bunch of tries because I'm not the nimblest of person, but I found the entire idea of the last boss a little hilarious. I was expecting a cthulu type enemy, not a rolling box. Overall this game was amazing in every way, and I can't wait for new campaigns to be released.

Also, did anyone else notice like 4 doors on the final floor you can't open? I'm thinking it might be a door for every optional key that you could have saved by skipping an iron door or something. I might check that out on my next playthrough.

Edit: Edited in some additional thoughts.

Khildith on
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Really looking forward to the random dungeon generator, or better yet, a custom map generator/creator.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I highly recommend thrown weapons, btw. Try to vary your weapons: there aren't that many good daggers in the game.

There are actually two really fantastic daggers in the game. But i will end up as

1) Daggers
    2) Unarmed [because unarmed means i can avoid the dodge tree since it gives so much dex/evasion]
    3) longsword

The Machete is actually a comparatively good weapon to the next two good swords[which require sword skill]
    Kelor wrote: »
    Though, as a heads up guys? Don't set things on fire after you've dumped a bunch of arrows into them. They're flammable.

How do you set things on fire? Also, you can shoot arrows into the fire things all day and they don't disappear. You just probably missed with one and can't find it

edit: Best daggers in game
    There appear to be four dagger type weapons

1) Knife
    2) Dagger
    3) Fist dagger
    4) Assassin's Dagger

Don't remember exactly what the Assassin's dagger is, but i think its 17 attack, 15 speed, and lifedrain. The Fist dagger is 12 attack and 20 speed

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    Ah I got them all then. Good.

edited April 2012

How do you set things on fire? Also, you can shoot arrows into the fire things all day and they don't disappear. You just probably missed with one and can't find it.

Was fighting a spider immediately after finding two brand new arrows (taking me to a grand total of 5!) in level three. I shoot all of them into this spider while backing away then cast the basic firespell with my mage. Spider disappears in a puff of smoke, taking my arrows with it.

Edit: Ffffff Slimes.

Kelor on
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular

How do you set things on fire? Also, you can shoot arrows into the fire things all day and they don't disappear. You just probably missed with one and can't find it.

Was fighting a spider immediately after finding two brand new arrows (taking me to a grand total of 5!) in level three. I shoot all of them into this spider while backing away then cast the basic firespell with my mage. Spider disappears in a puff of smoke, taking my arrows with it.

Did you check the tile you were standing on? I'm not sure if arrows are the same way, but sometimes thrown weapons will end up there after a fight for some reason.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
    Behemoth wrote: »

Did you check the tile you were standing on? I'm not sure if arrows are the same way, but sometimes thrown weapons will end up there after a fight for some reason.

Believe me, I looked everywhere.

I ended up reloading and just making sure I finished the spider off with physical attacks. My flywizard hasn't been seeing as much use though after that.

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    I've had a few thrown weapons simply up and vanish on me while fighting and casting before, but it's really rare and I can't seem to reproduce it. My guess is it's a bug that is triggered by a fairly obscure set of circumstances when killing an enemy.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Loving this game so far. It has made me realize how much I missed this particular subgenre. I do wish the environments were more diverse but i am only on level 3 so that may change.

Is there a shop ever in this game? Because if not I am going to continue to treat rocks as being more valuable then legionary spears and shields.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    Loving this game so far. It has made me realize how much I missed this particular subgenre. I do wish the environments were more diverse but i am only on level 3 so that may change.

Is there a shop ever in this game? Because if not I am going to continue to treat rocks as being more valuable then legionary spears and shields.

I wish I could throw shields with a sling....

• eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

You ask for things which were never in the original Dungeon Master, and when they were included in Dungeon Master 2, didn't make it a better game (imo)...

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
    korodullin wrote: »
    I've had a few thrown weapons simply up and vanish on me while fighting and casting before, but it's really rare and I can't seem to reproduce it. My guess is it's a bug that is triggered by a fairly obscure set of circumstances when killing an enemy.

What is most likely happening is that you are killing the monster with some other attack as you click on the weapon. This throws the weapon and the go right through the enemy and on until they hit a wall

wbBv3fj.png
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    Bought it. Started a conventional party on Normal and ended up stymied at the first room in level 4. (You know the one.)

So I rerolled on easy with two monk lizard rogues (both unarmed/dodge only) and two insect mages, one fire/earth one air/ice. Just beat the game. And it was difficult. I guess I'm getting old. I got lots of cheevoes though, so I'm happy. Fun game, fun experience.

Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Gah. Missed the Fist Dagger! Ah well. I only missed 5 secrets in the entire game so I don't feel too bad.

As for skill points, there are 4 tomes in the game that grant skill points. 3 of those grant +5 skill points to whoever uses them, and the fourth is Mage specific:
    +3 Fire skill

These books are not obvious and are rather tricky to get.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    Gah. Missed the Fist Dagger! Ah well. I only missed 5 secrets in the entire game so I don't feel too bad.

As for skill points, there are 4 tomes in the game that grant skill points. 3 of those grant +5 skill points to whoever uses them, and the fourth is Mage specific:
    +3 Fire skill

These books are not obvious and are rather tricky to get.

It's also possible to completely miss two of them on purpose.

• AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    @Lanrutcon can you spoiler how to get in the iron door on the vault level for me?

I've finished the game and that's the only one I couldn't enter.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
    Adda wrote: »
    @Lanrutcon can you spoiler how to get in the iron door on the vault level for me?

Vault Iron Door Key
    At the end of the hallway with the demon face that shoots a lightning bolt every couple seconds there is a secret door that has a key. You can only access it from a button in the hallway itself if I recall correctly.

• seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Oh man, those slimes are murder. Maybe I'll come back later, or is there some trick to defeating them?

Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Khildith wrote: »
    Adda wrote: »

Vault Iron Door Key
    At the end of the hallway with the demon face that shoots a lightning bolt every couple seconds there is a secret door that has a key. You can only access it from a button in the hallway itself if I recall correctly.

Fuck I thought I checked the whole thing. Obviously not!

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
    That hallway... ugh. Stuff of nightmares.

edited April 2012
    God, level 10.
    The Shrakks remind me a lot of Cazadores from New Vegas. I hate them already and I get chills whenever I hear them.

And is it just me, or does it seem like torches don't last as long the further down you go?

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    Couldn't tell you, I stopped using torches around level 6.

• seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular

I think I prefer torches to the light spell. Or are you just running around in the dark to sneak up on things?

Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
    Nah.

Secret item spoiler:
    You can find the 'Orb of Radiance' on level 6 which requires a mage with a Spellcraft level of 5 or higher. Besides giving 15 energy and 2 Willpower, it also illuminates everything around you with a blue glow.

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    The divines bless that orb. It is a thing of beauty.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    I missed that one. My mage is current dual-wielding two later Mage weapons. I may take the slight hit to Energy and Willpower and go back and grab that, maybe. It's a long backtrack.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    I think I finished Floor 3 last night. Only thing left to do is drop down various pits to check for various goodies, but I tend to do that after otherwise completing the following floor.

Although I DID find the
    Serpent Bracer
    due to accidentally falling down a pit.

Someone told me there is
    slime room(?)
    on Floor 3 that I should find before moving on, but I have no idea where it could be and may just move on. Leaves something to discover in a future playthrough perhaps.

edited April 2012
    Has anyone finished the game, and or gotten "Seeker of Secrets"? I've got 70/71 secrets and can't find the last one.
    Possible spoiler!
    The Gamebanshee guide I've been referencing since I beat the game said to hold onto your blue gem from the first floor "Blind" puzzle. I can't see why, maybe that is the last secret I'm missing? Anyone know anything?

Khildith on
    seabass wrote: »

I think I prefer torches to the light spell. Or are you just running around in the dark to sneak up on things?

The item is equivalent to the light spell, so the glow isn't that valuable. If you prefer the distance of vision that torches give you then there isn't any substitute.

Also, i have found that on hard mode i cannot sneak up to things in the dark. In fact i cannot sneak up to things with invisibility on. This means that my rogue/rogue/assassin/mage party is kinda useless against most creatures. Since everything but like snails/ogres/undead solders move too fast to get behind.

wbBv3fj.png
    Near the end of the game it was a constant chore to keep people from being slowed due to weight problems. I can't imagine the insanity if I was still carrying around 40 kilograms of torches! I found the light from the orb to be sufficient.

On a side note, I rarely used potions due to how cumbersome it was to make them. Had like 10 empty flasks just sort of clanking around in the end there. Whoops.