As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video Game Industry Thread: Master Chief -- script delivery boy

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    HBO Go is mighty tempting

Too bad it's not available in my area...

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    To say there are no ads on the ps3 is misleading. Any time you hover over the store or video tabs, the new release things pop up, which are indeed ads. Just like all the random qore junk and such on the store front and such.

Also, game invites. Someone sends one on ps3.you have to open the friends list, open their page (which makes their trophies load.) Then open a new message and read the invite to pop open another menu to join their game. Of course you have to eject the disc and ask that. spews out an error otherwise.

360? Hit the xbox button, hit join. If the game isn't in the drive, it pops it open and tells you to load it up.

There are a lot of little things Sony could learn. (again, like being able to report and ignore people on psn, having a recently played with list, games downloading and installing at the same damn time, being able to do a hdd install of any game you want. The list goes on.)

The vita has a slightly better ui, but Sony still hasn't quite nailed it. It also hasn't really improved on the little things

steam_sig.png
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    One thing about the PS3 that has always shocked is that it won't auto detect video settings when you change TVs. I used to move my PS3 between TVs a lot, and if they run at different resolutions or are hooked up via different cables you'll just get a black screen. You have to hold down the power and wait for the system to beep so that the video output resets. The first time this happened it scared the hell out of me. Now it's just kind of an annoyance.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, the really old 360 'blade' dash was balls. The one after that, 'NXE' I think? Much better. It got an update late 2010, changing the home popup thing to white and incorporating elements of the Metro redesign that was to come. That update made it the best thing ever, the whole thing was nice to look at and oh so functional. Seriously, I loved the interface at that point.

Then everything went wrong.

So I like the PS3's setup. Not a fan of the Vita's bubbles, and I'd like to see the option of using the XMB on it, but I am apparently alone in this!

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I dunno what Microsoft is thinking with the more recent 360 dashboard updates. Crowded and clunky sucks; minimalist and fast is good. Lack of customization sucks, too; I'm getting really tired of seeing a half-dozen items I'm never going to even look at instead of being able to pick all the things I might actually be interested in. Really couldn't give two shits about an advertisement for some lame movie getting advertised every time I start the system, but for some reason stuff like that hogs most of the dashboard display when I boot up.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I dunno what Microsoft is thinking with the more recent 360 dashboard updates. Crowded and clunky sucks; minimalist and fast is good. Lack of customization sucks, too; I'm getting really tired of seeing a half-dozen items I'm never going to even look at instead of being able to pick all the things I might actually be interested in. Really couldn't give two shits about an advertisement for some lame movie getting advertised every time I start the system, but for some reason stuff like that hogs most of the dashboard display when I boot up.

Think of it this way. Those ads you fucking hate help reduce the $50-some cost you pay year to year for the service.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    ...That isn't exactly reassuring?

steam_sig.png
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    While the money you did pay for the service went to making the latest dashboard update have more ads.

It's the green circle of xbox.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    There was a Nintendo Direct for Korea, since the 3DS is coming out here soon.

http://www.nintendo.co.kr/nintendo_direct/swf/3DS_NDT.mp4

There's no new info for anybody, but it was a really nice gesture, considering that the market for video game consoles here is tiny. You can even hear Iwata speaking broken ass Korean!

EVOL on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    Zephiran wrote: »
    The really "worthwhile" ads end up on YouTube anyway, so it's no big deal.

I don't even have a radio goddamn.

Yeah, exactly. Usually ads I see are ads I see by choice. Because I'm not gonna lie, some of them are entertaining.

I can't even remember the last time I listened to a radio.

I watched some cable for the first time in years today to see The Legend of Korra.

YOU NEED TO EXPLAIN THIS RIGHT NOW. What was shown? Trailer? Did it start? I apparently let it drop off my radar..

It premiered this morning.
    Nick released it online, for free, one or two weeks ago. Episode 2 as well.

I had to catch up with how television works in the 21st Century, so here is the legitimate link to Episode 1.

http://www.nick.com/videos/clip/legend-of-korra-101-full-episode.html

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Itunes has Eps 1 and 2 for free in HD in their store.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Itunes has Eps 1 and 2 for free in HD in their store.

And everyone needs to see it RIGHT NOW.

You know how the previous Airbender series, awesome as it was, started out slow?

This one isn't starting out slow.

Back on topic, Steam's pulling back on the Steambox hopes, again.
    "To be clear, this is R&D – it doesn't in any way involve a product at this point, and won't for a long while, if ever – so please, no rumors about Steam glasses being announced at E3." A blog post by Valve researcher Michael Abrash clears up just what CEO Gabe Newell was talking about in regards to wearable computing a couple months back – and the kind of hardware "experiences" Valve is hiring for.

In short, it's not a product announcement. When Abrash was hired at Valve, he was encouraged to find his own interesting project to work on. Seeing the rise of wearable computing as an "inflection point" similar to Quake (which pushed things like networking and 3D graphics into ubiquity), he decided that was something he, and Valve, should be ahead on.

"By 'wearable computing,'" Abrash explains, "I mean mobile computing where both computer-generated graphics and the real world are seamlessly overlaid in your view; there is no separate display that you hold in your hands (think Terminator vision)." Google is working on something similar, of course.

In other words, Valve hired a guy to do whatever at its game development company, and he decided to research a type of computing that doesn't exist yet. If nothing else, this is an indication of just how much money Valve has.

In other words, Valve is turning into Google.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

Think of it this way. Those ads you fucking hate help reduce the $50-some cost you pay year to year for the service.

Bullshit, it's just getting them more money. If the ads help reduce the cost then why haven't they reduced the cost?

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    ...That isn't exactly reassuring?

Okay, let me put it like this. If there were no ads on XBL, the yearly cost to users may be above $100.

I know people bitch about the cost of XBL, because wah wah wah paying for things, but man, the $50 to $60 range its in right now, OVER A YEAR, is not a lot of money. It's a single monthly household bill, only stretched out to last a year. That's fucking generous as far as costs go. But few people have perspective. It sadly takes getting fucked over hard for people to realize their situation is better than they readily admit.

On the one hand, the 360's dash is loaded with ads.

On the other, the XMB and various sub-menus are a pain to navigate.

For me at least, laziness wins out.

Though I'm still pretty baffled that Sony seems to have done very, very little to improve the PS3's XMB once it came out. I mean, I can't be the only person griping that the PS3's seemingly thrice-weekly system updates require you to dig around in the menu to find the "system update" button.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I stopped using the Xbox for multimedia stuff the moment I got a PS3. I will likely go back to the Xbox at some point, because it has HBO Go, and it's always a good time to watch an episode or two of The Wire, but the PS3 does everything the 360 does outside of that, for free, and without any ads.

Also the PS3 Media Server freeware program for PC is the greatest shit ever. Flawless hassle-free streaming to your PS3 and it'll transcode anything you throw at it. I stopped using my 360 entirely for media stuff when I found out about that program.
    cloudeagle wrote: »

In other words, Valve is turning into Google.
    I keep hoping for those two companies to put out a press release where they say "Yanno what people, we have all the money in the world and nothing better to spend it on. Therefore we'd like to announce our new science department. Our first project? Lightsabers."

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    I didn't realize Avatar The Last Airbender was a popular thing, I thought it was like Ben 10, something 10 year olds were obsessed with but not around long enough for fans to have grown up with it to be fans as adults.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

The ads don't bother me, it's the fact that they're ads that I don't give a crap about and can't even get replaced with something I might actually be interested in.

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    It seems like the price for Live went up year over year too even as they added more ads.

Home is apparently where Sony places all of those, which is convenient for everyone who ignores it (which I assume is most people).

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Bullshit, it's just getting them more money. If the ads help reduce the cost then why haven't they reduced the cost?

Because cost of operation, with all the additional features they've added to XBL, goes up. Microsoft is constantly faced with a decision - "Do we charge the consumers directly, or cover costs via advertisements?" Do both inconvenience the consumer in some way? Yes, but at least with advertising you can take a deep breath and react like a calm adult and not rage out.

Allforce wrote: »
    I didn't realize Avatar The Last Airbender was a popular thing, I thought it was like Ben 10, something 10 year olds were obsessed with but not around long enough for fans to have grown up with it to be fans as adults.

The movie's shit, but the original animated series is absolutely fantastic, and definitely something adults can enjoy. I discovered it as an adult, and so did a ton of other people after the fact -- it's like Firefly that way. Give it a shot.

Yeah all I ever knew about it was "worst rated movie ever on rotten tomatoes" and "worst way to get 1000 achievement points".

Unfortunately if anime doesn't have gratuitous tits, violence, rape, or all of the above I'm usually not that interested.

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Doesn't sound like you have too much to actually weed out.

NNID: Rehab0
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular

It's actually nearly more popular with people 20+. I personally like it and think its well written for a kids show but I also think its overrated. To the point where its just weird seeing people that usually couldn't rant more about *Anime* going completly fanboy over it. *Well, OUR show about teenagers beating the shit out of each other with magic powers is sophisticated *smugface*.

• SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Because cost of operation, with all the additional features they've added to XBL, goes up. Microsoft is constantly faced with a decision - "Do we charge the consumers directly, or cover costs via advertisements?" Do both inconvenience the consumer in some way? Yes, but at least with advertising you can take a deep breath and react like a calm adult and not rage out.

It's especially great living in a country in Europe where all these costly additional features doesn't work, but guess what? The ads work.

I would rather have the old Dashboard back.

Sirialis on
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    I can't stand the PS3 dash for whatever reason. Maybe just me not being used to it. I remember getting on the store and looking for the MK demo, and it was just a pain in the ass. Bonus points for it having a web browser, although it's slow as heck for some reason.

I'm really comfortable with the xbox dash, and again, it could be that I'm used to it. I preferred the last one over the current one though. Quickplay is nice, but I liked the last one more I think.

And I don't mind the little ads. Most of the time their for games that Might want to get on sale, or at least try a demo of.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I don't get the complaints that Sony's UI is some horrible unusable piece of shit. I won't deny how cluttered the whole Settings menu is, not to mention the confusion as to what some options even do. Like I have no clue what Cross color reduction or Super White do. But in theory, you should only be mucking around in that whole area one time. After that, the whole thing is a breeze. "Dig around in the menu to find the "system update" button"? Scroll all the way left to Settings, then press up once for System update. There's no digging at all. I've use the system to watch videos from a USB drive, and it couldn't be simpler.

360... while I've gotten used to the new look, I almost vomited when I saw it for the first time. I was initially ticked off that I apparently had to cycle through every individual tab and option just to get to the damn settings, but then I realized you can use the bumpers to skip through faster.

As for the stores, I find the PSN to be so much easier to find stuff in. On the flip side though, I love the ability to instantly jump to the appropriate marketplace section of a game, eliminated the need to go hunting for it in the first place.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited April 2012
    C2B wrote: »

It's actually nearly more popular with people 20+. I personally like it and think its well written for a kids show but I also think its overrated. To the point where its just weird seeing people that usually couldn't rant more about *Anime* going completly fanboy over it. *Well, OUR show about teenagers beating the shit out of each other with magic powers is sophisticated *smugface*.

Enjoying Avatar The Last Airbender is justified for all ages. It's not like the brony epidemic. I've had so many customers of every age, shape and size love the cartoon. (and hate the movie)

My brother is leaning towards getting a Ps3, because he wants to play lots and lots of fighting games, and the recent release of Skullgirls was the last straw for me: fighting games really are more populated on Ps3. He will be picking up Soul Calibur V and Skullgirls. But he wants JRPGs, and I haven't played any on Ps3. What are the good ones these days? (FF13 was the first FF I could not finish with how shit it was.)

Cantido on
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular

Enjoying Avatar The Last Airbender is justified for all ages. It's not like the brony epidemic. I've had so many customers of every age, shape and size love the cartoon. (and hate the movie)

My brother is leaning towards getting a Ps3, because he wants to play lots and lots of fighting games, and the recent release of Skullgirls was the last straw for me: fighting games really are more populated on Ps3. He will be picking up Soul Calibur V and Skullgirls. But he wants JRPGs, and I haven't played any on Ps3. What are the good ones these days? (FF13 was the first FF I could not finish with how shit it was.)

Avatar is great. I just wished they killed the Firelord, and showed examples of people dying. According to the show, the war only claimed 6 lives. Katara's mom, the moon girl, Hiro's son, Jet, General Zhou, and uh... There's one more. Everyone else got knocked out. Though the show is still pretty great.

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular

Are you implying that people can't be justified in liking MLP? Because that's pretty silly. It's a well made show, just like Avatar is. Nothing wrong with being a fan. I hate to break it to you but there's an incredibly creepy section of the Avatar fan base, too.

Best PS3 JRPG is Valkyria Chronicles. Persona 3 is a downloadable game for ten bucks if he hasn't played it on PS2.

Are you implying that people can't be justified in liking MLP? Because that's pretty silly. It's a well made show, just like Avatar is. Nothing wrong with being a fan. I hate to break it to you but there's an incredibly creepy section of the Avatar fan base, too.

Oh yeah. I'm a big fan, but all the various shippers give me the willies.

And @Allforce... it's not anime. :P

Back on topic, Cliffy B unveils his inner Jack Black.
    Epic Games design director Cliff Bleszinski has sounded off concerning his hopes for future-generation consoles. Speaking with GameSpot at PAX East 2012 last week, the developer said he wants a leap in visual fidelity to be a big part of next-gen systems.

"Face-melting graphics," he said. "I really want our next-generation consoles to pass what I call the 'Mom Test.' So that if you were to show this console and games to your mom, she would be like, 'Wow, that clearly looks better than your last console.' And it's an essential step that needs to be taken by both Sony and Microsoft."

Bleszinski also noted that he hopes future-generation consoles require users to be constantly connected to the Internet.

"Always-connected consoles that basically require an Internet connection. So that I can just wake up in the morning and say, 'Oh a new demo has been downloaded on my hard drive, so I can check it out.' As well as considering streaming gaming from the cloud, which would be very nice."

Finally, Bleszinski noted his admiration for motion controls and reiterated a rumor that a future-generation Xbox could sport a built-in Kinect.

"The other things I want to see are gesture-based controls," he said. "I think Kinect is quite cool, and I'm a big fan of using Kinect to control movies with Netflix. Maybe it will be built in [to a future generation Xbox], maybe it won't. We'll have to see what actually comes out of that."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/face-melting-graphics-needed-for-next-gen-says-gears-of-war-dev-6371569

Sounds like he's not too bitter about Gears of Kinect not working out.

I think he's comparing regular fans of Avatar to bronies, rather than regular fans of MLP.

Bronies can be pretty creepy.

If he is just saying that MLP doesn't deserve adult fans then huh...

Oh brilliant
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Honestly, I'm betting Epic is happy that the project is finally dead: I imagine the last stages of life were a constant interation after iteration of trying to make kinect controls decent for an action game: given the project is now dead, I'm guessing it was flat out an impossibility.

On the bright side, I guess this means I never have to buy a Kinect now. At least not for this generation :D

Okay, very, very good point.

Fighting games being more popular on Ps3 has me depressed. I need to get my TE dual modded now.

wait what is "brony epidemic" and "mlp"?

MLP is My Little Pony. It's a rather good cartoon on the Hub.

Bronies are the male over 20 fans who spread it around the internet, then took it a little too far, turned it into a meme or whatever.

Oh brilliant

Bronies are fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. It's actually a surprisingly good cartoon. Problem is, the whole brony phenomenon is partially fueled by actual enjoyment of the show, and partially fueled by amusement by the fact that grown men can like ponies. So a big chunk of the fanbase can be annoying.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magical is a kids show.

Well made for a kids show. Has somehow attracted a huge online fandom of adult men called "Bronies".

And ... yeah.

I'm guessing the group of My Little Pony fans who are weirdly dedicated to the show and an abbreviation for My Little Pony, respectively.

Anyway, not at all unhappy to see the Epic project for Kinect pulled. Plenty of Wii games were hampered or crippled by some bizarre impulse of Nintendo or other developers to simply need those motion controls whether or not they fit the type of game being made or were better than standard controls; the sooner that little itch can be purged from 360 developers, the better.

I fucking hate this country.

This discussion has been closed.