As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dungeon Defenders] - Dungeon Defenders II: The Dungeoning coming soon! Free-to-play!

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Darmak is the newest member of the Companion Cube Club. Congratulations! We managed to do a 3-man Warping Core. Because of Portal Gun shenanigans, 2 of us died on the last wave. The crystal ended up having a sliver of life left at the end. It was quite close.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Something I've been wondering: if you've got a monk's Strength Drain aura over a crystal, does it reduce the damage critters can do to it?

Something I've been wondering: if you've got a monk's Strength Drain aura over a crystal, does it reduce the damage critters can do to it?
    Yes, it does. It's pretty easy to test. Just go to Deeper Well, kill all but one goblin, and let him pound on the crystal. Note the damage. Then place a Strength Drain on him.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    man, my countess has turned into a beast. soemhow i picked up some sword that hits for 140 and has an extra 112 lightning damage and its only level 2.

might not sound much but i am only like level 15

camo_sig.png
  • BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    So, Goblin Overlords staff the best to go with at the moment if I get one with good stats? What of these staffs that shoot flat?
    http://dungeondefenders.wikia.com/wiki/Northern_Staff

Is there any other that don't have the V arc that are missing from here?
    http://dungeondefenders.wikia.com/wiki/Apprentice_Weapons

Got money to burn want to upgrade a new staff!
    Goblin Overlord's Charge is simply easy and quick to farm (because it comes from Raining Goblins). Pretty much every staff is the same, with only minor differences (in my opinion). I'd not go for a staff that fans out all +5 projectiles, though. The double projectile in the center is pretty handy for long-range shooting. Just get something with high stats and over 200 upgrades.

You're referring specifically to the one with the fan correct? Normal staffs take to 5 projectiles, right?

Edit: Nm, last nights scotch and tired aren't helping my reading comprehension.

What do you guys think of Oculus of the Genie King? Fires out in a hexagon pattern centered on the shot origin. I find it's way more likely to have 3-4 or all 6 projectiles hit a target at a way longer range then staffs that shoot in a 6 shot fan.

That was one of the staffs I was looking for when I made the original post, I knew that another had a different spread out there. I farmed a bunch of goblin overcharges, so If I ever get to beating that level I'll see how it stands up.

Also, anyone that needs a Goblin overcharge staff, let me know I have like 5 decent ones kicking around.

heenato wrote: »
    SkutSkut wrote: »

Even better, we did it on hard. Got some decent myth pets on hard too.

Also the starting on waves past 8 on Survival is freakin awesome, wave 13 gave me something like 3k mana for alchemy labs.

From what I've read on the forums though, pet quality suffers if you start earlier and they will be decreasing the mob spawns (maybe) for Survival when the new patch/achievement hits.

Oh and the new achievement is in line with Mythical Cupid for levels of bullshittery.
    Transcendent Survivalist
    You completed 30 waves of Nightmare Survival on every Campaign mission, and are thus rewarded!
    ...None of us are ever getting that achievement, I suspect.

Queue Hans as Barney Stintson, "Challenge Accepted" :)

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Darmak is the newest member of the Companion Cube Club. Congratulations! We managed to do a 3-man Warping Core. Because of Portal Gun shenanigans, 2 of us died on the last wave. The crystal ended up having a sliver of life left at the end. It was quite close.

I'd like to thank everyone who helped make this possible. Hahns, The Fonz, and Penumbra, you guys are great and I hope we can continue playing together!

I'd also like to try some of the 6-man maps with 6 people, that'd be really awesome.

JtgVX0H.png
  • eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Darmak wrote: »

I'd like to thank everyone who helped make this possible. Hahns, The Fonz, and Penumbra, you guys are great and I hope we can continue playing together!

I'd also like to try some of the 6-man maps with 6 people, that'd be really awesome.

What times do you guys play usually? I have a ranger that does 550k DPS, and a monk who does 500k (melee)... not sure if that qualifies to be with you guys or not... :)

(I need a new weapon on the ranger to be able to go higher, but so far, I haven't found one.)

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    eobet wrote: »

What times do you guys play usually? I have a ranger that does 550k DPS, and a monk who does 500k (melee)... not sure if that qualifies to be with you guys or not... :)

(I need a new weapon on the ranger to be able to go higher, but so far, I haven't found one.)

Usually I play around now (1-2AM central time).

JtgVX0H.png
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    And one more name to the companion cube list. Wizardry was really the worst one out of them all. Got hardcore mythical defender as well. Hahn's build for Summit worked ridiculously well, with that enrage aura at the bottom making sure almost nothing made it to the crystals.

M A G I K A Z A M
    edited April 2012
    @heenato and @Darmak and I 3-manned the Summit using a new and improved version of my NM HC Summit Campaign build. I eschewed the two Harpoons by the north crystal (saving 12 DU) and replaced them with 3 Buff Beams (4 DU) to buff the northern 3 Harpoons and the pair of Harpoons on each side. This had the unintended side effect of letting some of the Spiders near the Northern crystal escape and attack the internal towers, but this didn't seem to be much of a problem. I may re-arrange some of the bouncers to better defend the harps. Something like this:
    http://ddplanner.com/?l=2443,nm-hc-the-summit-campaign-patch-726c

I also have a new EV-powered build for Warping Core which seems to do a LOT better than my previous attempts at it. It's still much easier with 2 than with 3 or 4 people. I use something like this:
    http://ddplanner.com/?l=2445,nm-hc-warping-core-challenge-patch-726c

Also, congratulations to Heenato, for getting both Hardcore Mythical Defender (and the Portal Gun Mk 2) and a Companion Cube! Hooray!

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    eobet wrote: »

You could do 10 DPS and that would qualify you for playing with us. We take on all comers from PA. We're in it for the fun and fellowship, not for being 1337. Or at least, I am.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    *looks at my 64 DPS*

*weeps*

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular

Glad to see you finished it up. Shortly after we finished that last map, I think it was Chicken, I passed out. And dreamed of defending dungeons.

I also echo what Hahns said, I'm happy to play with any PAer I can; if I'm in a game feel free to join up or message me.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • RobesRobes Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm going to try to do NMHC Summit solo tonight! I lack a squire, but I got a level 74 EV, and 74 Apprentice, and a 40ish monk, along with my 78 Huntress. Should be interesting...
    After gearing up, NMHC campaign wasn't as hard as I thought it'd be. I'm still afraid of the challenge maps and survival mode though.

Robes on
    "Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
    would anyone be down for doing some challenge maps tonight around 9pm EST? i thought about trying for that western one solo, but it was huge.

also, is there a way to know wyvern paths other than actually waiting for them to pop out? i think i am on the armory (1 or 2 past servant quaters and got the wyvern warning but i didn't see them in the set up

camo_sig.png
  • R0land1188R0land1188 Registered User regular
    @mts I will be around for that if you want to get some challenges out of the way.

Also the game doesn't tell you wyvern spawns but there are some websites that do.

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    mts wrote: »
    would anyone be down for doing some challenge maps tonight around 9pm EST? i thought about trying for that western one solo, but it was huge.

also, is there a way to know wyvern paths other than actually waiting for them to pop out? i think i am on the armory (1 or 2 past servant quaters and got the wyvern warning but i didn't see them in the set up

No Wyvrens in the armory.
    Use this site: http://ddplanner.com/
    Click on a map, and click the check mark with the Wyvren next to it on the right hand ide.

Robes on
    edited April 2012
    it might be the one after the armory then. dont recall which map.

roland i will likely be chat so will look for you there. i am still relatively low level

seems like its hall of courts

mts on
    camo_sig.png
    Also, what healing pet do you guys use if your using one? I only have a crap ass genie, and before I run a survival on it, I thought maybe the Cowboy Monkey could be better?

Opinions?

steam_sig.png
    Also, I tried the City map last night with a buddy. Even on hard it was a decent challenge with those mini orgres and craptastic wyvern spawns. Of course, we have no idea what to expect so our build was doodoo.

steam_sig.png

roland i will likely be chat so will look for you there. i am still relatively low level

Around what level? I want to make sure I have somebody about the same.

@Broncbuster I tried it solo on hard and those wyverns destroyed me, I was not expecting it at all.

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    R0land1188 wrote: »

@Broncbuster I tried it solo on hard and those wyverns destroyed me, I was not expecting it at all.

Same with a friend and I. That south crystal setup/Wyverns was the distraction that made us loose. The Djinns despawning towers while we were trying to deal with the wyvern situation. Also, we over towered in some spots, and I guess ground traps would be good in a few of those choke points for better damage.

Thanks again for the Map buddy!

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png

my countess is 14 or 15, but i have a squire at 25, a huntress at 10 and a female appentice at 11

camo_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    @Broncbuster not sure if healing pets are the way to go. With a good casting rate, you can heal yourself up in like 2-3 seconds.
    I got a genie doing insane hc survival that seems to take care of all my mana needs. I found it better to level up the hero attack stat on the genie, instead of the genies attack, since it returns mana based on how much damage you do, and you'll do both more damage and get more mana back if you have a higher hero attack.

If you need a layout for doing insane hc hall of court survival I can make one up. Don't know what your level/jobs are though. I did it with a 78 huntress and a 74 ev and app, with some monk auras thrown in there for good measure.

Robes on
  • Hitmonchan107Hitmonchan107 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Oh and the new achievement is in line with Mythical Cupid for levels of bullshittery.
    Transcendent Survivalist
    You completed 30 waves of Nightmare Survival on every Campaign mission, and are thus rewarded!

Tim%20and%20Eric%20-%20Space%20Explosions.gif

Hitmonchan107 on
    iamisom, Community Manager for Dungeon Defenders
    Twitter: @iamisom
    Currently Playing: Dungeon Defenders II (PC), Warframe (XO), Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii U)
    edited April 2012
    Transcendent Survivalist

What's Mythical Cupid?

Somehow, removing the image has screwed up the quote tree! I am bbad at bbcode.

Penumbra on
    @Hitmonchan107

What am I looking at?

steam_sig.png
    Robes wrote: »
    @Broncbuster not sure if healing pets are the way to go. With a good casting rate, you can heal yourself up in like 2-3 seconds.
    I got a genie doing insane hc survival that seems to take care of all my mana needs. I found it better to level up the hero attack stat on the genie, instead of the genies attack, since it returns mana based on how much damage you do, and you'll do both more damage and get more mana back if you have a higher hero attack.

If you need a layout for doing insane hc hall of court survival I can make one up. Don't know what your level/jobs are though. I did it with a 78 huntress and a 74 ev and app, with some monk auras thrown in there for good measure.

Only reason I run a healing pet is for monster fest. Don't know where I'd use it otherwise.

steam_sig.png
    Also, what healing pet do you guys use if your using one? I only have a crap ass genie, and before I run a survival on it, I thought maybe the Cowboy Monkey could be better?

Opinions?
    didn't know what game mode you were talking about here so yeah :P

Speaking of pets, I notice that a fairy doesn't seem to heal and a unicorn doesn't seem to pewpew on Assualt maps. Do any pets work?

Penumbra wrote: »
    Speaking of pets, I notice that a fairy doesn't seem to heal and a unicorn doesn't seem to pewpew on Assualt maps. Do any pets work?
    Pets do not work in Assault maps. They only give you their stat bonuses and that's it.

Healing pets are quite useful in multiple situations. For one thing, many of them also deal damage (Goblin Cupid, Monkey) as well as heal, so as a Squire/Countess you can hold block if you are in trouble and watch as your pet kills the things around you while healing you (in the same situation, using the self heal will only get you killed). They also heal when you have zero mana, which happens quite often if you are making use of Overdrive, Blood Rage, etc (and you should be). The Fairy is probably the best dedicated healing pet, but I prefer to run with a Goblin Cupid or Monkey.

Don't get me wrong, Genies are great, and they are totally necessary for NM content. But not everyone needs a Genie if you are playing multiplayer. The new Djinnlet and the Companion Cube are fairly decent for earning mana as well. For a Genie, the mana gain ramp sharply declines over 3000 Genie attack, so I wouldn't level it much beyond that (most of mine are at 3500).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Preference of the Monkey or Cupid?

steam_sig.png
    Gunslinger Monkey is my preference, not due to any gameplay reason but because it is a Gunslinger Monkey.

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    Gunslinger Monkey is my preference, not due to any gameplay reason but because it is a Gunslinger Monkey.

Yea, I thought the banana 6shooters are pretty rad. I don't know if one of them are more effective though.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Unless you are below 50% health, the pet will preferentially shoot at targets rather than heal you. The Gunslinger Monkey has longer range. The Goblin Cupid has short range, but pierces all targets. Thus, if you are wanting a pet that is more likely to heal you above 50%, you'd pick the Goblin Cupid (you can control when to heal by backing away... of course, if you are backing away, you can just manually heal), but if you want a pet that shoots targets at a distance, pick the Monkey. Arguably, the Cupid is much more of a pain in the ass to get, since no one wants to do Sky O' Love.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Good info, as always. Thanks.

steam_sig.png
    I want to do sky o' love! After I get a companion cube!

It seems like I've been playing my barbarian much more often recently. I feel like I've hit a catch 22 on the apprentice. The gear I need only comes from higher level survival waves / mix-mode, but I don't have the gear I need to be of assistance in higher level survival waves.

edited April 2012
    Here are some thoughts I had about City in the Cliffs.

JCjv3.jpg

City in the Cliffs is a rather large map (not as big as Moraggo or Karathiki), but it doesn't suffer from the main problem of Large maps, in that it is relatively open and pretty easy to get around. With only 3 Crystals to defend and obvious paths to each Crystal, you can easily speed your way to the Crystals that are in trouble (maybe with the help of Blood Rage or Tornado Stance). The map also gives a generous amount of mana. The DU, however, is only 125, which means you'll have to consolidate your defenses. Unlike normal campaign maps, this map has Spiders and Djinn at all difficulty levels (I think... I've only tried it on Medium and above).

There are two unique features of this map which add to the difficulty, the Wyverns and the Mini-Ogres. The Wyverns all come from the outside perimeter of the map and directly head for the crystals. They come from a high vector, making it difficult for Hero spec characters to shoot them down. You'll have to set up good Anti-Air defenses specifically for the Wyverns and make sure that they don't get eaten/webbed by Spiders or Djinn. Just like the Halloween Spooktacular challenge, there are Mini-Ogres (in addition to bigger regular Ogres), who have high health and deal relatively high damage.

The Southeast spawn, at the time of this writing, typically becomes clogged with enemies, acting as a natural Enrage aura. Thus, you usually see a trickle come from the spawn point, rather than a steady stream.

Be careful when dealing with the Djinn. They like to float up and take out the Anti-Air and Chokepoint defenses on the South Crystal and any defenses near the blue circle by the West Crystal.

I suggest using the chokepoints marked in Red on my map. You should note the Spider Spawns and have some way of dealing with them. Most of the chokepoints are also good locations to place anti-air towers to take out Wyverns at the same time. The blue circle on the map only needs a blockade or bouncer to ward off the occasional spider.

Also, I've found that this map gives a ridiculous amount of XP. It gives more than Glitterhelm (although it probably takes longer to complete) with 4 or more players. Even on Medium difficulty, it gives great XP, especially in the last 3 waves. With 4P, I think we were getting something like 3 million XP for completing the map.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    I tried out the cliffs map along with Arcas last night, and suffice it to say it was an...enlightening experience, given neither of us had jumped into any shards content prior to this. Spiders, djinns, and only 2 people to cover 3 points led to a number of failure cascades. Got a few levels though!

Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
    Yea the south point is where we got ate up from wyverns/djinns. But also, we were a duo team with 2 afk controllers on it. Would have been easier with the additions.

Would be pretty rad to 6 player that map.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.