As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat]nequa don't live here no mo'

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I remember a time when I would wait for games to come out, now my dance card is so full I've completely stopped buying new releases because I just can't get through the backlog of 'games I want to play'. I dislike people who get all nostalgic over 90's games, 90's games were blocky, broken and it would be abnormal for them not to ship without a clusterfuck of bugs. Nostalgia is fine, but 90's games were a fucking nightmare of patches, drivers and crashes. That's without mentioning the on rails game play where you were constantly walking down a corridor for 10 hours.

Mustang on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    I am gonna finish Mass Effect 3 and then I'm gonna play Resident Evil 6. After that I probably won't buy any other games. Unless Mass Effect 4 comes out, in which case Lucy Liu Shepperd may need to come out of retirement.

• farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    Mustang wrote: »
    I remember a time when I would wait for games to come out, now my dance card is so full I've completely stopped buying new releases because I just can't get through the backlog of 'games I want to play'. I dislike people who get all nostalgic over 90's games, 90's games were blocky, broken and it would be abnormal for them not to ship without a clusterfuck of bugs. Nostalgia is fine, but 90's games were a fucking nightmare of patches, drivers and crashes. That's without mentioning the on rails game play where you were constantly walking down a corridor for 10 hours.

Mustang if you dont show your undying love of corridor walker 73, beige hallways i will cut you, cut you with a daikatana, according to all reports it will rock your face off, after which i expect there is no recovery.
    unless you have been following that weird face transplant surgery stuff

• NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular

I think most people who love 90's games think back, almost exclusively, to SNES games and adventure games.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    edited April 2012
    Nappuccino wrote: »

I think most people who love 90's games think back, almost exclusively, to SNES games and adventure games.

I think of pc games (being well into my 30s now). I think that your frame of reference will be skewed by how old you were in the 90s.

Doom, X-Com, Wolfenstein, Star Craft, Tie Fighter, Quake, Diablo 2.. in addition to adventure games like Monkey Island, Gabriel Knight, and Grim Fandango.

So despite how fantastic a lot of the games above were, they were laced with bugs, config.sys and autoexec.bat tweaking, driver problems and support, which is why i mentioned that godawful mess that is daikatana (which while not released in the 90s, april 2000, is pinnacle of the crap he was talking about.)

farbekrieg on
    edited April 2012
    I guess I don't think of games released 98-99 as games from the 90's... (this is in reference to star craft, diablo 2 mostly)

But I see your point.

edit: I should say that I mostly played games that ran on fucking 8inch floppies and shareware (I played the first level of Decent like a motherfuck) in the early 90's. I didn't get a nes till I was like 8 (which was '96), I think.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

I started my first proper job in 96.....now I feel old.

i totally should have said diablo (96), not diablo 2 (2000).... but when you get to my age (or level of sloth) sometimes time skips a beat

Doom(93), X-Com (94), Wolfenstein (92), Tie Fighter (94), Quake (96), Monkey Island (90,91,97,00), Gabriel Knight (93 95 99), Grim Fandango (98)

I had no idea Grim Fandango was that late. Going soft up top maybe. I was a teenager entering the 90s. Now I feel old.

• TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I went to a club because that's where a friend's birthday party was being held
    why in the shitting fuck do people subject themselves to that tawdry miserable bullshit?

disclaimer: I have been to only two clubs. maybe I just went to the shitty ones.

Tam on
  • .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    Half Life was 98 as well!

sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Nineteen HundredNineteen Hundred Registered User regular
    Tam wrote: »
    why in the shitting fuck do people subject themselves to that tawdry miserable bullshit?

disclaimer: I have been to only two clubs. maybe I just went to the shitty ones.

I've had fun at clubs, but it mostly has to do with enjoying the people I was with. That said, I'd still rather be with those same people doing something else entirely. Really more of a dive bar kinda guy.

There was something important here. It's gone now.

I've had fun at clubs, but it mostly has to do with enjoying the people I was with. That said, I'd still rather be with those same people doing something else entirely. Really more of a dive bar kinda guy.

that's usually what I do with one of my friends on the weekend
    we just sit in a dive bar talking about stuff and playing pool and drinking

the club was just awful
    I couldn't hear anything and hence talk to anyone
    dancefloor was too crowded for me to bust out my sick moves (sick moves count: 0)
    thank god they brought out the cranberry juice and vodka or the night would have been a complete waste

maybe one day it will all click for me

• Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod

BOOMCHA BOOMCHA BOOMCHA BOOMCHA
    BOOMCHA BOOMCHA BOOMCHA BOOMCHA BOOMCHA

BOOMCHA BOOMCHA
    BOOMCHA BOOMCHA BOOMCHA
    BOOMCHA BOOMCHA BOOMCHA BOOMCHA BOOMCHA BOOMCHA
    BOOMCHA BOOMCHA BOOMCHA BOOMCHA BOOMCHA BOOMCHA BOOMCHA BOOMCHA

BOOMCHA BOOMCHA BOOMCHA

What?

well done old boy

• melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    IT'S SO LOUD I CAN'T EVEN TELL WHAT SONG IS PLAYING

So... I'm tired of feeling like everything around me is at a Stasis point.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    DA CLUB

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    I've never been to a club

I have. I don't know what everyone is raving about.

• ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    ninjai wrote: »
    Its all been skyrim, MW3 shit, max payne preorders, the witcher 2 which i already played, sniper elite, and shoot many robots. It could only have been more saturated with the shit I'm talking about if they included battlefield 3.

I love Elder Scrolls and Max Payne! Fuck it, I like Call of Duty. I like mindless shooting. I am here to destroy entertainment for everybody.

I also like TES, but CoD? I haven't bought one since COD4.
    Kochikens wrote: »
    why do we listen to these leading industry professionals when they obviously don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

maybe because they've made kabillions of dollars making videogames while you've made none

OH JEEZ, you're so right, I better go buy The AVATAR with some 3d glasses and listen to JUSTIN MOTHER FUCKING BEIBER.
    squidbunny wrote: »
    I think you need to reread what I said, reread what you said, and reevaluate your idea of "condescension and ignorant accusations."

You don't seem to understand that a fervid fanbase does not equal a big fanbase. Look at a beloved game like Psychonauts; clever, gorgeous platformer with some graphic adventure elements. Not super experimental but beloved forever. Fiscal failure.

Nope you definitely came across as an elitist prick. Godfather and I, I guess we aren't allowed an opinion because you think it isn't good enough...

You don't seem to understand, the kickstarter? Was... in response to fucking nappa... has nothing to do with what you responded to in the first place.

Seriously, textual medium on forums are quite possibly the worst method of communication.
    I love Elder Scrolls and Max Payne! Fuck it, I like Call of Duty. I like mindless shooting. I am here to destroy entertainment for everybody.

Elder Scrolls is awesome, Fallout possibly even more awesome (and I think it's funny both of these franchises have broken into mainstream success). I even like the occasional Assassins Creed.

I guess, in summary and in conclusion ... I can't imagine being dissatisfied with what there is for games and that was the source of my blaaargh. There's huge fun AAA stuff in abundance, and more nichey quirky stuff than ever before thanks to XBLA/PSN/iThing/Android/Steam/blah. Everyone wins, and the cover reads TOO MANY GAMES! forever after.
    I don't really care who makes the game, I don't really care where it is released, as long as it is creative in some way. Skyrim, fallout, fuck I'm still playing morrowind. The difference is that morrowind still felt like a video game. Jumping 500 yards and flying around with levitate, whereas skyrim feels more like a sim, trying very hard to be real life instead of a video game.

Yes like psychonauts.

There is not really an argument as to whether COD is CURRENTLY creative or not. Because it isn't. Assassin's creed 50, final fantasy 500, call of duty 5 with a subscription, gears of war dlc subscriptions... When are they going to get back to making video games.

Seriously? Just make a game worth playing and this conversation is over. I wasn't trying to say skyrim is a bad game, but after 250 hours of skyrim I don't really think there is much left for me to play.

May 15, y u no here... :C

edited April 2012
    I've never been to a club
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    I have. I don't know what everyone is raving about.

LargeThumbnail.jpg

ninjai on
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    There is not really an argument as to whether COD is CURRENTLY creative or not. Because it isn't. Assassin's creed 50, final fantasy 500, call of duty 5 with a subscription, gears of war dlc subscriptions... When are they going to get back to making video games.
    If you don't feel people are being creative in making video games these days, then I'm not sure there's a discussion we can have, because you're so diametrically opposed to what I see out there right now.

Essentially, you're over there, I'm over here, and never the twain shall meet. Best just to agree to disagree.

And if we're looking for the Citizen Kane of video games, let me just say while I appreciate the craft of Citizen Kane (directing, cinematography, etc), I've yet to meet a non-film student who actually enjoys Citizen Kane. At which point, I feel you're more of a proof of concept than an actual film.

Apply to video games wherever you feel it's necessary.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
    If you don't feel people are being creative in making video games these days, then I'm not sure there's a discussion we can have, because you're so diametrically opposed to what I see out there right now.

Essentially, you're over there, I'm over here, and never the twain shall meet. Best just to agree to disagree.

And if we're looking for the Citizen Kane of video games, let me just say while I appreciate the craft of Citizen Kane (directing, cinematography, etc), I've yet to meet a non-film student who actually enjoys Citizen Kane. At which point, I feel you're more of a proof of concept than an actual film.

hello my name is Tam
    and that's Angel of Bacon over there

• Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited April 2012
    I dunno, I've taken some film classes before. I don't know if that makes me a "film student", but I guess it's probably enough to completely dismiss my opinion?

EDIT: I mean, how can you not enjoy this scene (this is a rhetorical question just to be clear- I'm just using the opportunity as an excuse to post this because I dig it.):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzhb3U2cONs

Angel_of_Bacon on
    wait what's in that spoi-
    huuuurrgggghhhh
    vomit everywhere
    I need a mop

edited April 2012

hello my name is Tam
    and that's Angel of Bacon over there
    What about the story of Charles Foster Kane has captivated you like no film since? Does that extend to your loved ones? Can you show them the film without explaining how well done it was and have them still really enjoy it?
    I dunno, I've taken some film classes before. I don't know if that makes me a "film student", but I guess i's probably enough to completely dismiss my opinion?

By no means, your opinion is more than welcome. I would never invalidate that.

I'm merely saying outside of a specific sphere of enthusiasts, the love of the film seems to drop off sharply.

Automaticzen on
    edited April 2012
    like no other since? oh no no no no
    I did really enjoy watching the drama of a man rise and fall though
    and I didn't even know it was (sort of) about WR Hearst the first time I watched it!

Tam on
    I dunno, I've taken some film classes before. I don't know if that makes me a "film student", but I guess it's probably enough to completely dismiss my opinion?

EDIT: I mean, how can you not enjoy this scene (this is a rhetorical question just to be clear- I'm just using the opportunity as an excuse to post this because I dig it.):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzhb3U2cONs

I enjoy it immensely. I'm just saying it doesn't resonate with many audiences today, or even ten years ago. The craft is untouchable, but the film itself? I'm not sure it stands up to the test of time as much. Something like the Wizard of Oz hits the average viewer more in my personal opinion.

It was a direct counter and attack to Ninjai's point that somehow all developers these days have stopped making creative works. That's false and insulting at best. The developers are still straining against the commercial systems that bind them, like Sakaguchi did when he made his last ditch attempt called 'Final Fantasy'. And with digital distribution, that's even less of a problem, like it was during the heyday of shareware on the PC. Creative games are happening all the goddamn time, and 2011 should be a clear testament to that. And that's even assuming those making CoD, AC, or whatever marquee titles are not trying to push the boundaries.

I like Citizen Kane and apart from being an enthusiatic consumer of film, I know literally dick about film, or the making there of.
    That being said, Citizen Kane, apart from some seriously hammy acting, has some utterly amazing sequences.

edited April 2012
    If you don't feel people are being creative in making video games these days, then I'm not sure there's a discussion we can have...
    See, this right here is why discussions don't go well on this forum.

I never said that. I said call of duty... COD. If you want to argue the ARTISTIC MERITS of CALL OF DUTY, I have a nice spot on the wall for you to beat your head against.

If you want to talk art in games, lets talk journey, braid, Dear Esther, really most indie games available on steam, or hell lets debate whether Dear Esther is a game, because I sure think that it is...

I for one devour everything that extra credits makes because I agree with them 90% of the time, and think that what they're trying to do with relevance to art in gaming is amazing, etc. I never said there is no art in gaming... If you gathered that from what I said than you didn't read what I said.

I'm merely saying outside of a specific sphere of enthusiasts, the love of the film seems to drop off sharply.

edit:
    That is because most people are ignorant to film tradecraft. Most people are just fine with movies like Pearl Harbor and Titanic, and would much rather watch Transformers 4 than Lord of the Rings, or watch Avatar to watching District 9. They don't understand WHY twilight are bad movies, just that its cool to hate it. They don't understand WHY Saving Private Ryan is a good movie just that "the beach scene was pretty cool."

Blocking, story, pacing, set design... other things that I'm not remembering... I was/am being taught concepts from Citizen Kain in drama classes in both high school and college.

All you need to do is study this one film to hate most modern movies that are produced.

ninjai on
  • .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    I remember CoD's story (only played up to MW2) being kind of silly like propaganda but sometimes that's fun, like a gung ho military movie or something. I know it's not a bastion of artistic accomplishment, but they actually do a very interesting job of cinematizing (not a real word but probably obvious what I mean) the gameplay and creating distinct scenes. It seems unfair to credit Jonathan Blow with carefully planning out level design as if CoD was just shit out in a matter of seconds. Teams worked on it! Sure there might be copy and pasted level assets, rushed development and generic writing, but there's still things like flow and, well, design. And surely there are challenges to trying to be creative with such a monumentally popular series.

Basically I like all kinds of games to exist, and don't like hearing one series or category being treated like an irredeemable cesspit of spoiled artistry.

sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
    edited April 2012
    I remember CoD's story (only played up to MW2) being kind of silly like propaganda but sometimes that's fun, like a gung ho military movie or something. I know it's not a bastion of artistic accomplishment, but they actually do a very interesting job of cinematizing (not a real word but probably obvious what I mean) the gameplay and creating distinct scenes. It seems unfair to credit Jonathan Blow with carefully planning out level design as if CoD was just shit out in a matter of seconds. Teams worked on it! Sure there might be copy and pasted level assets, rushed development and generic writing, but there's still things like flow and, well, design. And surely there are challenges to trying to be creative with such a monumentally popular series.

Basically I like all kinds of games to exist, and don't like hearing one series or category being treated like an irredeemable cesspit of spoiled artistry.

I can agree with that to an extent. CoD 4 modern warfare, chernobyl. You have to sneak through a fairly sized modern city that was literally vacant. Along with being one of the more fun stealth missions I've ever played in a game, the isolation once you entered the city was unmistakable, and gave more of a wasteland feeling than anything in the fallout series IMO.

But I feel like the "copy pasted" level design along with the very generic writing overshadows any element of art that is left.

I mentioned this a bit earlier, I don't think that good writing and more specific level design is risky to a developer, and that they should spend more time doing THAT instead of hyping up useless perks and so much multiplayer... I mean honestly, has anyone even played half life 2 multiplayer?

Everyone who has ever beaten half life 2 will remember these locations specifically because of the ingeneous level design.

4.jpg
    27.jpg
    37.jpg
    27.jpg

Similar to this moment Darth Vader oxygen chamber moment. Half life 2 is littered with these kinds of identifying moments.
    Chamber2.jpg

And the writing only very little more than the resistance people telling you what your next mission is. All you had hear in terms of ravenholm was that they "don't go there anymore" and it was one of the creepiest segments in an FPS I've ever played.

I want more of these.

ninjai on
    I know I'm biased, but I think people get really fucking invested in games and feel really entitled when it comes to them and it scares the shit out of me that people have looked up Valves offices floorplans.

Also I can't take anything Ninjai says seriously because he gets uppity and snobby about "Citizen Kain".

edited April 2012
    I know I'm biased, but I think people get really fucking invested in games and feel really entitled when it comes to them and it scares the shit out of me that people have looked up Valves offices floorplans.

I'm not one of these people lol
    Also I can't take anything Ninjai says seriously because he gets uppity and snobby about "Citizen Kain".
    :P

ninjai on
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Citizen Kane is pretty great. There are no bad parts. Slambang scene after slambang scene. Awesome shot after awesome shot. And I think the story of a soulless rich-and-famous person who wants people to love him but can't love anybody in return is still great and unsettling.

• squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    Gettin' a dawg this weeeeek. Application is all approooooved. Dog just needs an exit exam from the veeeeet.

Seriously, a dog is going to be great. This one was at the shelter for almost a year, presumably because she's older. :(

... but she's still super energetic and I have high hopes our adventures will serve as a another motivator for me to get off my dead ass. :)

header_image_sm.jpg
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    Is it Snoop Dog?

doggy pics when it happens!!

• WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Gettin' a dawg this weeeeek. Application is all approooooved. Dog just needs an exit exam from the veeeeet.

Seriously, a dog is going to be great. This one was at the shelter for almost a year, presumably because she's older. :(

... but she's still super energetic and I have high hopes our adventures will serve as a another motivator for me to get off my dead ass. :)

Yay pup! I know not technically a puppy but all dogs are always pups to me. Our dog is a 6 years old now and hes still our puppy.

• squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    Pics guaranteed. She is a goofy looking little thing: half blue heeler and half rat terrier.

header_image_sm.jpg
This discussion has been closed.