As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Moebius] and MAYBE GABRIEL KNIGHT 4?! Update on the Jane Jensen [KICKSTARTER]

syndalissyndalis Getting ClassyOn the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
edited May 2012 in Games and Technology
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di0bQJuMLHA

Moebius
moebius.jpg
Malachi Rector is an antiquities dealer who hunts down artifacts all over the world. After losing everything in a fire, he's hired by a Manhattan millionaire to investigate a series of events and document them in his meticulous way. But Rector soon realizes that the events hold a bizarre significance, as does his own existence. This is a metaphysical thriller ala Dante’s Equation and Gabriel Knight.

Art Style & Mechanic: 2D, graphic novel look and feel (like an updated GK1). It will be a 3rd person adventure game with a point-and-click mechanic and lots of sophisticated puzzles.

www.pinkertonroad.com - Main website with info on the new studio making the game.
The Kickstarter - contribute now! Still over 30 days and more than halfway there, lets push the drive to 300K ASAP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ4tEyiYk5M

Original OP to follow

The Past
So, I am a bit of a Gabriel Knight fan. I played the first game back when it came in a weird box made of intersecting triangles:
947363330-00.jpg

What I enjoyed most about this game was that in an era where mature videogames only really meant shooting demons or aliens, a game with a rich and engaging storyline, flawed characters and great emotional payoff came out that was supported by some amazing voice acting from a great cast. It redefined what adventure games, and what gaming in general, could be for me.

And the person who penned that great story? Jane Jensen.

I played every Gabriel Knight game that followed, each making use of the most popular technology of the time (GK2 was a FMV adventure, GK3 was an early 3D adventure title), and each being great on the merits of the plots, the writing, and the research that went into weaving a believable supernatural thriller into rich historical locations.

Then Sierra stopped caring about adventure games, lost their soul to Vivendi, and got eaten by Activision.

Sadly, GK3 ended on a massive, horrible cliffhanger. Possibly one of the worst in videogame history (right up there with Shenmue). And Jane Jensen no longer worked for the company that held the license to the titles. She wrote a novel, worked on some casual games, and made another supernatural adventure game that saw somewhat limited success (Grey Matter).

The Future
Jane Jensen and her Husband (who has written the music for most of her games) have opened up a new game studio, Pinkerton Road.

Screen%20Shot%202012-04-04%20at%202.48.30%20PM.png

They are following the kickstarter model: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1005365109/jane-jensens-pinkerton-road-2012-2013-csg

Basically, they want to produce 1-3 games a "season," a season looking to be about one year. The people paying in will get to decide what games they produce from the list of ideas they currently have, and if they get enough funds, they will produce all their ideas.

These games will be classic adventure titles, each of which are 60-80 scenes long, and equal in content to the first Gabriel Knight game.

Also, they want to use this as a stepping stone to negotiate use of the Gabriel Knight license. It is entirely her creation, and it is a crime that Blizzard Activision is sitting on it and not allowing her to use it. If she can prove her studio to be a profitable venture, she feels she will have the clout needed to make it happen.

Kickstarters seem to be happening all over the place right now, but this one more than any other has me interested. If you have never played a Gabriel Knight game, go to these links and buy them IMMEDIATELY.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/gabriel_knight_sins_of_the_fathers
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/gabriel_knight_2_the_beast_within
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/gabriel_knight_3_blood_of_the_sacred_blood_of_the_damned

The whole series costs less than 20 bucks, and you will have many hours of enjoyment from it. Then, give at least that much to the kickstarter and let's get this studio running. This is the closest us fans have been to a 4th game, and I plan to support it.

SW-4158-3990-6116
Let's play Mario Kart or something...
syndalis on

• VeganVegan Registered User regular
    This kickstarter is a bit vague for my tastes. I prefer to know EXACTLY what I'm getting.

steam_sig.png
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Good OP!

Here's a interview

http://www.gamespot.com/news/gabriel-knight-designer-launches-pinkerton-road-6369623

Also the Pinkerton Road Website

http://pinkertonroad.com/

And a youtube version of the pitch video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_h_TG84wsI

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Vegan wrote: »
    This kickstarter is a bit vague for my tastes. I prefer to know EXACTLY what I'm getting.

What you will be getting is what you choose to get. You get a voice in what they will design first, out of a pool of three potential game candidates. think back to the Gabe and Tycho "choose our next side story comic" thing to get an idea of her goals. Her prior work is well known and award winning, and she promises games more in the style of Gabriel Knight than her more casual fare. Those games are considered by many to be some of the best point and click adventures ever made.

And by supporting this, she builds a studio that can request use of the license for Gabriel Knight from Activision/Blizzard. All while getting to play new adventure games from one of the gods of the genre (aside from Gabriel Knight, she was also one of the ones chiefly responsible for King's Quest VI).

It will be money well spent.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Some more info on Moebius (I think it's new since I don't remember it from yesterday.
    Story: Malachi Rector is an antiquities dealer who hunts down artifacts all over the world. After losing everything in a fire, he's hired by a Manhattan millionaire to investigate a series of events and document them in his meticulous way. But Rector soon realizes that the events hold a bizarre significance, as does his own existence. This is a metaphysical thriller ala Dante’s Equation and Gabriel Knight.

Art Style & Mechanic: 2D, graphic novel look and feel (like an updated GK1). It will be a 3rd person adventure game with a point-and-click mechanic and lots of sophisticated puzzles.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    FUCK. YES.

I will play that game. I will vote for that game.

Fuck Grey Matter 2.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    Hey, some of us would like to see a Gray Matter 2 :P Though that Moebius concept sounds very interesting as well and as a fan of the Gabriel Knight games I had to back this Kickstarter and now I sit here and hope for the best.

Not knocking Gray Matter 2 too hard; I know it had fans... and chances are any sequel to that game made with more control in JJ's hands will be a much better game and less plagues with the issues GM1 had.

But seriously? an HD 2 dimensional game in the style and storytelling of Gabriel Knight? Made by the same writer/producer and with music composed by the same guy?

Even if I don't get a new GK, I'd gladly pay all the monies to play that.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    Oh I know the first game had issues. The puzzles were on average a little too easy and the 3d models on the backgrounds a little jarring. I actually liked the cutscenes, because I'm weird I guess, they just reminded me of good ole Gabriel Knight 1, except maybe not as good. But I liked the story in general and I liked the characters, thus would like to see more.

But yes, I'd also like to see this Moebius made. Basically, I just want this studio to succeed and give me lots of games that I want to play (but if there will ever be a Gabriel Knight 4, I will do a happy dance for days).

C2B wrote: »
    Thanks for linking that - in every future interview she is giving where the question of GK comes up, she is getting more and more positive about it. I think she realizes that it is what the fans have wanted for going on 14 years now, and that there may be enough groundswell to get Activision/blizzard in on it.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    New reward added $200
    An old school "big box" DVD version of this season's games, pdf of the GK1 design bible, digitally signed by Jane, ftp access to all our digital soundtrack music for the year in WAV, AIFF and mp3 format. All previous reward tiers' incredible goodies!

okay, so I will work my way up to 200 dollars I think.

I really want that design bible, but like hell I was gonna cough up the 5,000 or whatever they wanted for the realsies version.

Also, she has made some pretty good bank... already at almost 70,000 dollars in less than two days... so long as momentum continues, we will get the two game season.

Personally, I want her to make Mac versions as well.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    New Update

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1005365109/jane-jensens-pinkerton-road-2012-2013-csg/posts
    A quick update for you!

First, I'll be posting a longer video update tomorrow answering some of your questions. So if you have a question about the project please message me on kickstarter.

Second, I've posted the story info on Anglophile Adventure including a zoom in on the high res detail of the screenshot. Ain't it purdy? Perhaps a colorful historical setting is not what you associate with me, but I fondly remember working on King's Quest VI and I'm a huge fan of Jane Austen and Downton Abbey. I think some of you are, too, but, if not, you'll have a chance to vote for the game YOU want to play -- Moebius, Gray Matter 2 or Anglophile Adventure.

Third, speaking of VOTING, we've decided to bump up the game concept vote -- it will be next weekend, Apr 14-15. Some people want to know WHICH will be our first game before they pledge so we want to get that decided sooner. We will be sending out a schmancy pdf with the 3 concepts to those who have pledged $16 or more and will have an easy online vote poll for you. So if you want to vote, please pledge by Apr 13.

And big #4, we added a new tier at the $200 with some of the goodies you have been asking for -- a big box hard copy of the game, the gk1 design bible and ALL out season's music delivered digitally in lossless AIFF, WAV or mp3s.

Finally, not even worthy of a number, just a teensy question -- have you noticed anything unusual about the Moebius concept? I haven't seen anyone mention it. ;-)

Jane

I'm donating 200 no matter what, but of all three concepts, I really want Moebius to be the winner.

Any idea what the unusual thing she is talking about is?

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • mattclemmattclem Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Any idea what the unusual thing she is talking about is?

I expect it's the reflection in the water.

• MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    Malachi Rector is an awfully anagramriffic name, probably something related to that.

edited April 2012
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    okay, so I will work my way up to 200 dollars I think.

I really want that design bible, but like hell I was gonna cough up the 5,000 or whatever they wanted for the realsies version.

I do believe I'll be joining you. GK: Sins of the Fathers is probably the single most replayed point-and-click adventure in my gaming life (although Grim Fandango and Curse of Monkey Island are also in the running) and if $200 gets me the design book, I'm there.

Hell with 40 days to get scratch together, I'll probably go up to the $250 tier, just to see my name in the credits.

And yes, Moebius sounds awesome and I'd love to see it get made. Grey Matter 2 would/will be my number 2 pick.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Maclay wrote: »
    Malachi Rector is an awfully anagramriffic name, probably something related to that.

Well, they are both pretty significant words in the context of the Judeo-Christian tradition. So...Gabriel was a (the?) messenger and Malachi means messenger (or my messenger or something like that.) I know Rector is a title in the Catholic Church. Not sure about anything else. Maybe just since she can't do another GK, she gave the main character a thematically similar name.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
    I mean, it is obvious to me that Moebius is a "Gabriel Knight" adventure without Gabe or Grace. Hence why it is so high on my radar.

I started playing GK1 again, made it to day 2 and am talking to Doctor John. Every time I play the game, even though I know all the story, I can;t help but listen to everything everyone has to say; the game oozes atmosphere and interesting history.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    I mean, it is obvious to me that Moebius is a "Gabriel Knight" adventure without Gabe or Grace. Hence why it is so high on my radar.

I started playing GK1 again, made it to day 2 and am talking to Doctor John. Every time I play the game, even though I know all the story, I can;t help but listen to everything everyone has to say; the game oozes atmosphere and interesting history.

I think the fact that it is obvious is maybe why no one mentioned it. She did say it was about the concept, not necessarily the artwork there.

"lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg

You must pledge at the $16 or more tier by 9pm EST on Friday, April 13th in order to receive the concept pdf and the link to vote for our first Pinkerton Road adventure game (from the 3 concepts below)! We'll be announcing the winner on Mon Apr 16th and doing a little page reorg then.

Thanks for the reminder, I figured I'd give it a go to be part of the voting process. I'm actually not sure what I'll pick because all three do sound intriguing enough.

steam_sig.png
  • RaggieRaggie Schattenjäger Registered User regular
    I'm beginning to love Kickstarter. If JJ started collecting money for buying back the rights to Gabriel Knight, I would be so there.

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
    Raggie wrote: »
    I'm beginning to love Kickstarter. If JJ started collecting money for buying back the rights to Gabriel Knight, I would be so there.

I get the feeling Activision isn't interested in selling it to someone who isn;t a studio.

Hence why she is publishing some games. If you read the interviews, she views this as a stepping stone to actually make GK4 happen for realsies.

That said, if you are interested in this at all, donate 16 bucks or more by 9pm tonight... that's the deadline to get a vote on the first project that PS will do.
    Vote for Moebius

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Voting has begun for people who contributed.

Moebius is well in the lead too!

:D

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Voted for Anglophile Adventure. Though, Moebius is going to win.

edited April 2012
    I voted for Anglophile, too. I'd like to see something reeeeeeally different, haha.

And I'd probably play it with my wife.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
    Okay, so Moebius won.

By a lot.

So a dark, moody, paranormal in a modern setting adventure game, from the award winning creator of Gabriel Knight.

Imma gonna update the OP.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Thanks for pointing out what she was responsible for in this thread. I was wondering what it was she was involved in but I couldn't place it.

The problem is that she doesn't mention it anywhere on the kickstarter aside from two passing comments about the comparable size of the games she wants to make and a brief bio paragraph(i had to stop and search a bit to find this reference), and a short mention on the 'About' section of her studio web site.

I really think that if she made more of a point of showcasing exactly how she's related to gaming, she'd be getting a lot more funding.

Donnicton on
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Thanks for pointing out what she was responsible for in this thread. I was wondering what it was she was involved in but I couldn't place it.

The problem is that she doesn't mention it anywhere on the kickstarter aside from two passing comments about the comparable size of the games she wants to make and a brief bio paragraph(i had to stop and search a bit to find this reference), and a short mention on the 'About' section of her studio web site.

I really think that if she made more of a point of showcasing exactly how she's related to gaming, she'd be getting a lot more funding.
    I mean, she is the driving force behind King's Quest VI (considered by many to be the best one), all three Gabriel Knight games... she has won adventure game of the year 3? 4 times?

She is a talent, and I think the only reason she isn't pushing her pedigree harder is because she can't make anything with those properties (yet), and doesn't want to piss off her old fans who want a new GK game desperately.,, and doesn't want to upset the current holders of those licenses, as she would love to make a legitimate sequel and needs their blessing/licensing.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    In the newest update, she is now offering all three design bibles from the gabriel knight series at the $225 dollar tier, as well as a bunch of other digital stuff.

Pretty sure I am going to work my way up to that tier before the kickstarter ends.

Also, Almost 200,000 earned, with 30 days to get the last 100, and a bunch of media coverage inbound. Methinks this will actually happen!

Sooo..... anyone else been doing a playthrough of Gabriel Knight since this got announced?

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Holy hell! Now for a 500$ pledge you'll get an original production sketch from GK1, signed by the artist, Jane Jensen and Robert Holmes. See some of them here.

It's going to look nice on the wall next my my original GK2 prop poster. :)

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    So for someone who missed the Sierra adventure golden age and wanted a taste of Jane Jensen's writing to get an idea what I'm backing, would the first Gabriel Knight be the best starting place?

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Also considering playing GK1 to find out what the hulabaloo is about. Are we talking Lucas Arts (You can never get permanently stuck or die) or King's Quest (You did the wrong thing in chapter one? Five hours and many quick save/load bullshit deaths later find out that you've permanently fucked your game and have to start over!) in design philosophy?

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Road Block wrote: »
    So for someone who missed the Sierra adventure golden age and wanted a taste of Jane Jensen's writing to get an idea what I'm backing, would the first Gabriel Knight be the best starting place?

Yes. But be warned, GK1 is an old-school adventure game. It means it was meant to be played in a leisury pace and you can't expect to solve it as fast as, say, Gray Matter. Just take your time and enjoy the atmosphere. It's a game you play for the experience.

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    PatboyX wrote: »

I think the fact that it is obvious is maybe why no one mentioned it. She did say it was about the concept, not necessarily the artwork there.

Essentially, she did this with Grey Matter as well. She is doing it the right way though, the main characters are not carbon copies of Gabriel and Grace. She is just working in the same genre.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I'm still deciding which tier I want to contribute at, but I'm thinking $250.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    http://kotaku.com/5903850/gabriel-knight-creators-new-game-will-have-a-matrix-twist-star-the-awesomely-named-malachi-rector

She keeps getting press, and the kickstarter keeps crawling towards its goal.

As of right now she has almost 225,000 of the 300,000 she needs, and is less than halfway through the time she allotted to the kickstarter. This is going to happen, folks.

Also, her husband's music is one of the reasons I keep coming back to the series. It was cool seeing him play the GK1 theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW78q6aNvtw

Music was SOOOOOO good.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    It blew my mind when I found out Robert Holmes and Jane Jensen were married. While I was playing GK1, I thought those two people made the game so special.

ypvha57nnenm.jpg