As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EAST] The official American Classic Arcade Museum @ PAX-East Thread

2»

• Options
    vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    More awesomeness from last year:
    5518182452_7e12f36d8f.jpg

• Options
    mpsmps Registered User regular
    I am so excited for the pinball panel, it's definitely on my list. Will you have pinball machines this year? I always end up spending a lot of time in the ACAM area of PAX East, thanks so much for making it happen!

Yes, we will have some pinball. In fact, our friends from Retro Pinball LLC (the guys who are doing our pinball panel) will have their brand new "King of Diamonds" pinball available for play in our arcade.

Mike Stulir
    Board of Directors
    The American Classic Arcade Museum
    http://www.classicarcademuseum.org

• Options
    sillyzombie666sillyzombie666 massRegistered User regular
    vttym wrote: »

this is why keith apicary is awesome

I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN
  • Options
    repeterepete Registered User regular
    Yes, i spent so much time at the arcade last time.
    Keep up the good work

• Options
    roserevolutionroserevolution Registered User regular
    mps wrote: »
    Yes, we will have some pinball. In fact, our friends from Retro Pinball LLC (the guys who are doing our pinball panel) will have their brand new "King of Diamonds" pinball available for play in our arcade.

Mike Stulir
    Board of Directors

That's awesome, I'm really looking forward to trying their new game!

• Options
    ultragoregrindultragoregrind Registered User regular
    Wicked!!!!! I can't wait to see you there. I love Funspot :)

• Options
    GausGaus Registered User regular
    I just wanted to say that I had tons of fun in your room last year and I'm looking forward to it again. Thanks for all the hard work. I know it must be a pain in the @$s moving all of those machines around.

Professional assassination. It's the highest form of public service. - Chiun
  • Options
    vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular

Nicely done - I didn't post the pic where I used flash on purpose to see if anyone would catch who that was ;)

• Options
    Gaus wrote: »
    I just wanted to say that I had tons of fun in your room last year and I'm looking forward to it again. Thanks for all the hard work. I know it must be a pain in the @$s moving all of those machines around.

This is an understatement. :) Having said that, it is a labor of love.

Moving 50 games to PAX-East involves a small army of volunteers, two 30ft trucks and a lot of backbreaking labor. PAX-East is also a very expensive event for us. As a 501c3, we exist solely on tax-deductible donations from the public at large. We will have our donation station set up in the room, and I would please ask that people give a little to help us out.

Mike Stulir
    Board of Directors

• Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    mps wrote: »
    Gaus wrote: »

This is an understatement. :) Having said that, it is a labor of love.

Moving 50 games to PAX-East involves a small army of volunteers, two 30ft trucks and a lot of backbreaking labor. PAX-East is also a very expensive event for us. As a 501c3, we exist solely on tax-deductible donations from the public at large. We will have our donation station set up in the room, and I would please ask that people give a little to help us out.

Mike Stulir
    Board of Directors

Glad that you mentioned about the donation to help out. I will be sure to bring some cash with now. Thanks a ton for coming to PAX. I can't tell you how excited I am to play some of the old games from when I was a kid. :D

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    KorvasKorvas Registered User regular
    this is one of my favorite things in pax east! can't wait to visit the room this year, it's sooooo amazing!

• Options
    edited March 2012
    The American Classic Arcade Museum to participate in game preservation panel at PAX-East

WEIRS BEACH, NH – 3/8/2012 The American Classic Arcade Museum (ACAM), the leading museum facility dedicated to the preservation & play of classic coin-operated arcade games, is pleased to announce a panel discussion on the preservation of historic videogames to be held during the 3rd Annual PAX-East Expo in Boston, MA. The session will take place on Friday, April 6th 2012 at 11:30am in the PAX-East “NAGA” Theatre.

The session, entitled “Selecting Save On The Games We Make” will be presented by John Andersen, contributing author from Gamasutra. The panel discussion will focus on the challenges of preserving the artifacts from gaming history including arcade cabinets, game consoles, cartridges, floppy discs, production documents and source code. Participating in this panel discussion is Gary Vincent, President of The American Classic Arcade Museum. ACAM was established in 1998, and is the first 501c3 non-profit organization dedicated to preserving vintage coin-operated amusements. Gary brings over 30 years of experience in the arcade industry, and he is considered to be the foremost preservationist of arcade game history.

Also participating in this panel are Raiford Guins, Associate Professor of Digital Cultural Studies & Founding Curator of the William A. Higinbotham Game Studies Collection at Stony Brook University, and Joe Santulli, Organizer of Classic Gaming Expo & Founder of Digital Press/Digital Press Videogames.

“I had the amazing opportunity to visit ACAM last November for the 2nd Annual PAX East Arcade Party. It was my first visit to ACAM at its location in Weirs Beach. It was there that I saw the dedication and hard work that Gary and his team have put into keeping original arcade gameplay preserved. It is an honor to have Gary as a panelist for this discussion. PAX East attendees will surely be inspired by the experiences he’ll share at the panel involving his preservation work. It’s this meticulous work and technical expertise that allows us to keep playing countless classic arcade games in their original form.”

“I could not be happier to be part of this panel discussion,” said Gary Vincent of The American Classic Arcade Museum. “This is a great opportunity to sit with my peers from other facilities and discuss the obstacles we all face on a daily basis. It should be a great forum for exchanging ideas and informing the public about what goes on behind the scenes to preserve historic gaming artifacts for present and future generations.”

PAX-East, an annual gaming convention that attracts over 70,000 attendees, will take place on Friday, April 6th through Sunday, April 8th at the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center in Boston, MA. In addition to participating in this game preservation panel session, ACAM will also be holding a panel session on pinball and another on coin-operated video games. As in prior years, ACAM will host a free arcade of coin-op classics at the expo.

Hailed as “The Mecca of Classic Gaming” by MSNBC and "One of the shrines every sports fan should visit" by ESPN: The Magazine, The American Classic Arcade Museum at Funspot is the first 501c3 non-profit organization dedicated to preserving and displaying vintage coin-operated amusements. Located on the third floor of the largest arcade in the world, the immense Funspot Family Entertainment Super Center, the museum celebrates the origins of the arcade industry with popular games from the past. Asteroids, Pac-Man, Centipede and Gorgar are just a few of the over 300 games currently on display & available for play in the Museum.
    The American Classic Arcade Museum at Funspot is open year-round.

More information can be found at http://www.classicarcademuseum.org

mps on
  • Options
    sillyzombie666sillyzombie666 massRegistered User regular

Nicely done - I didn't post the pic where I used flash on purpose to see if anyone would catch who that was ;)

i built him a belt buckle and a wall clock so im a big fan lol

I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN
  • Options

On behalf of all of us at The American Classic Arcade Museum (ACAM), we wish to thank the organizers of PAX East for once again inviting us to be a part of this amazing expo and thank all of the attendees who made our room such a huge success. Hearing your stories regarding the arcades of yesterday and your appreciation for our preservation efforts makes this event even more enjoyable. We also wish to thank our staff of volunteers; Scott Gaulin, Adam Pfiefer, Dane Tullock , Tina Gebhard , Dan Dow, Joe Rainone, Ethan O’Toole and Eric Beebe for all of the long days you put in with us to make this exhibit possible.

In addition, ACAM hosted two panels with some awesome experts. For the first time, we presented a pinball panel at PAX-East, which was a big success. This could not have been done without the efforts of Gene Goodman & Jafet Camacho from Retro Pinball LLC. To see their work to bring old-school pinball gameplay to brand-new modern pinball machines was impressive. With our videogame panel, Steve Golson, Jonathan Hurd and Eric Pribyl were outstanding. To have three legends in classic arcade game design & programming was an incredible experience.

Thanks as well to technicians Randy Lawton & Bob Winterson for making sure our games were in top working order. We could not make this show happen without Funspot owner, Bob Lawton. Thanks to Chris Ferguson for spending several days helping load and unload our trucks.

Finally, we could not pull off our classic arcade at PAX-East without the wisdom & vision of Khahil White and the entire event staff.

If you liked our room at PAX East, come over to Facebook and “like” us there. We have uploaded many of the photos we took during the expo. Maybe we have a picture of you! http://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Classic-Arcade-Museum/162639127324?ref=ts

Gary Vincent and Mike Stulir
    ACAM Board of Directors

• Options
    acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    Hey ACAM,

I just want to say thank you again for bringing some of your awesome collection to PAX East and giving me nostalgia happiness of the days when arcades were awesome like they were. Now I need to go up to NH again...

Life-Long Nerd from New England

PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
    Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

• Options
    TripleozeroTripleozero Registered User regular
    Great stuff here. It's nice seeing the really obscure stuff.
    I was floored by the skills of a great Super Zaxxon player - She was lasting forever and I couldn't get past the first 30 seconds.

The pinball games were great - I'd love to see more. I missed seeing Dragon's Lair on the big screen from Pax East 2011. I wish there were a few old shooters along the lines of Hogan's Alley.

Looking forward to seeing what they bring next year.

• Options
    acumen101 wrote: »
    Hey ACAM,

I just want to say thank you again for bringing some of your awesome collection to PAX East and giving me nostalgia happiness of the days when arcades were awesome like they were. Now I need to go up to NH again...

We love bringing the games to PAX-East for people to enjoy. :)

If you want to come up to NH and visit ACAM, our annual tournament is less than two months away. That is always a good time to visit ACAM. The dates this year are May 31st-June 3rd.

Mike Stulir
    Board of Directors

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Great stuff here. It's nice seeing the really obscure stuff. The pinball games were great - I'd love to see more.

When we pick the games, we always try to have a good mix of the popular stuff and some of the stuff people may not have seen back in the day. We are very fortunate that we have a large pool of games to draw from.

We had intended on bringing a few pinball machines, but some last-minute logistic issues prevented that. We will try to adjust for next year.
    I missed seeing Dragon's Lair on the big screen from Pax East 2011.

The fact that the laserdisc games were not up on the wall this year was my fault. We tried a different room layout this year, and while it solved some problems from prior years, it created a new problems including projecting gameplay up on the walls.
    I wish there were a few old shooters along the lines of Hogan's Alley. Looking forward to seeing what they bring next year.

Why wait until next year? If you want to make sure you see all of your favorites, why not come to ACAM? Our annual tournament is May 31st-June 3rd, 2012.

Mike Stulir
    Board of Directors

mps on