As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] Thread 3 - Rise of the Classy Crabs

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    Many thanks to @AnakinOU for the CS:GO beta invite!

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So the Classy Crabs have a Minecraft server now. There are 2 or 3 major Minecraft servers for PA and they are great, but our Steam Chat group is pretty cool so I put one up for them/us. All PA are welcome of course.

The Crafty Crab 66.85.168.170:25571 - Dedicated server, 24/7, Normal Survival. It's to have fun!
    Note: You need to be whitelisted for now so just head into Steam chat and PM CloudBomb or yell at a bunch of people until I show up, or until I add other people who can add other people. Yeah, that works. You can PM me here as well, but I am not sure I can get to it in a timely manner.

Don't be a dick, more details coming later.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    TreadLife wrote: »
    Finally joined the forums and wanted to say hello. I've lurked the site and sometimes the forums for long enough and finally gave in. Looking forward to being a classier crab.

Welcome!
    vmtdB.gif

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    So the Classy Crabs have a Minecraft server now. There are 2 or 3 major Minecraft servers for PA and they are great, but our Steam Chat group is pretty cool so I put one up for them/us. All PA are welcome of course.

The Crafty Crab 66.85.168.170:25571 - Dedicated server, 24/7, Normal Survival. It's to have fun!
    Note: You need to be whitelisted for now so just head into Steam chat and PM CloudBomb or yell at a bunch of people until I show up, or until I add other people who can add other people. Yeah, that works. You can PM me here as well, but I am not sure I can get to it in a timely manner.

Steam thread Minecraft server? Now that's intriguing. Haven't crafted mines in quite some time so this could be the thing to drag me back in.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Shimshai wrote: »

Steam thread Minecraft server? Now that's intriguing. Haven't crafted mines in quite some time so this could be the thing to drag me back in.

Yeah same here. I've been looking for a server and most of the public ones are horrible. And I never really got into the war server or whatever it changed to in the minecraft thread. I'll be checking it out for sure.

edit: Cloud just whitlisted me and I checked it out. Everything works fine. I was the only one on though. :( But I did find someone's shack.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    You guys talking about GOG made me go check out those games that were listed, I then ended up buying Ultima VII!

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I was traveling all day and am catching up on the thread and see that a lot of new people got in on the GO beta which is awesome. Feel free to add me if you guys want to play. I need some more friends to play it with.

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Anyone manage to snag a Titan Attack key?

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    aerynkelly wrote: »
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    Igpx407 wrote: »
    Is HoMM 6 worth it for someone who is a big fan of the King's Bounty games?

I haven't played kings bounty, but I Jus got HOMM6, and its pretty much the same old stuff, rejigged a little. New little story etc. I paid $15 for it at a brick and mortar store (these still exist... and have games on sale sometimes!), which is another 10$ off the price on steam here in Aus (not sure of US price) and I thought it was worth it for that.

You haven't played King's Bounty?! I can fix that....

@aerynkelly Apologies for not responding earlier, it was my sons birthday this weekend and I had a busy one. I would love to take you up on that offer though, I have heard good things about King's Bounty.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    Thank you to pablo_price for gifting me CS:Go beta invite! You're pretty boss.

• Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Could I pretty please get an invite to the PA Steam group?

Steam id is lykourgos http://steamcommunity.com/id/lykourgos

Lykouragh on
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular

I did, though it would seem they duped my key at least 4 times, as I got 4 steam messages asking about my account info.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    striderjgstriderjg Registered User regular

I was able to get one.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FiskavFiskav Registered User regular
    Hey, sorry if this has been answered already, but what's the difference between the Penny Arcade steam group and Armadeaddon? From what I gather, Armadeaddon is basically the "other" PA group.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Armadeaddon is a L4D group. Or it started that way anyway.

• Options
    FiskavFiskav Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »

Interesting. How does one get an invite to Armadeaddon? Is it the similar 6-month activity rule like with the PA group?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Since when can the sigs tell what non-Steam game you're playing? It's recognizing me playing Starcraft 2. And how is it doing it? My profile and the XML for my profile aren't showing it. Did Suds find a way to get the data only shown to the in-client friends list?

• Options
    busfahrerbusfahrer addict GermanyRegistered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    Since when can the sigs tell what non-Steam game you're playing? It's recognizing me playing Starcraft 2. And how is it doing it? My profile and the XML for my profile aren't showing it. Did Suds find a way to get the data only shown to the in-client friends list?

I'm guessing it's this (CTRL+F for 'gameextrainfo')

B2b1M.gif
    Twitter: busfahrer -- Quake Live: busfahrer -- StarCraft II: busfahrer.184 (EU)
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    busfahrer wrote: »

I guess some things surrounding Steam Community are even more fancy than I knew.

• Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »

Now it's a non stop pretty much adults only sex chat room featuring a lot of hentai discussion and high school girls who try to pass themselves off as legal. Oh, and the Pax Witch is their goddess symbol.

Stay out of that Steam group, trust me.

Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    edited April 2012

I guess some things surrounding Steam Community are even more fancy than I knew.

Let me quote good ole Billy S.
    There are more things in Steam and its webservices, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

busfahrer on
    B2b1M.gif
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular

I like to think Suds is a wizard.

• Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    I really need to play some more Payday... Haven't got my president masks yet.

I also checked out my Steam wasting... I think I might have one of the most embarassing cost/hour with 4.98/hour. I need more free time!

• Options
    R0land1188R0land1188 Registered User regular
    I played too much Darksiders yesterday. how is it that the hardest boss fight is the first? Bat Queen killed me countless times, and now the Spider is giving me a little trouble but it's still not as bad.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    R0land1188 wrote: »
    I played too much Darksiders yesterday. how is it that the hardest boss fight is the first? Bat Queen killed me countless times, and now the Spider is giving me a little trouble but it's still not as bad.

maybe you were still feeling things out?

camo_sig.png
  • Options

I'm not through completely yet, but the bat boss was the one that gave me the most troubles as well, so far.

B2b1M.gif
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Interesting site.
    Ranked 2015th with 3066.0 hours played. Has played 98/144 games. Owns 144 games for a total worth of $1768.43. Overall account cost/hour for gametime is $0.58.

that's 127 days, 18 hours, and 0 minutes, where Terraria is their most played game, which accounts for 13.5% of their playtime

Hosting the Terraria server when it came out upped that time. You used to have to have the Client running to do it.

Top Games: Terraria, Dungeon Defenders, Company of Heroes, mount & blade. I am good with this list.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The Daily is Hydrophobia: Prophecy for 75% off. It seems impossible, but does anyone think that it's not worth $1.24?

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I noticed Cities in Motion got a new pack, keeping my fingers crossed that we'll see a midweek madness on it for 19.99.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    The Daily is Hydrophobia: Prophecy for 75% off. It seems impossible, but does anyone think that it's not worth $1.24?

Eurogamer says it's still crap and only good for being a virtual tourist wandering through an amazing tech demo.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    TheCanMan wrote: »

Eurogamer says it's still crap and only good for being a virtual tourist wandering through an amazing tech demo.

That pretty much sums it up. The ending is rather underwhelming.

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular

It's because on the first fight you have no extra life, your stuff isn't powered up, and you have no skills.

That and the throwing mechanics are a bit shit.

Nothing else in the game is anywhere near as bad as that first fight.

Make sure you finish the game, the ending is one of the most badass things ever.

Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options

I'm not through completely yet, but the bat boss was the one that gave me the most troubles as well, so far.

Just started playing this yesterday and got up to the bat boss and gave it one go before calling it a night. I have a feeling she is going to be challenging.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    I finished Bastion, and everyone was right. Wonderful little game.

And I'll just leave this here because I know you guys love it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8cELTdtw6U

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    So apprently the managing director of gog says that massive discounts on steam games are bad for us.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/06/gog-talks-preserving-value-of-games-slow-death-of-drm/

In a way I guess they are bad for my backlog, yet good for my wallet. Also, I love steam and gog, but I can't help but think comments like this are kind of stupid since we know gog is targeting steam's customers recently. I mean is he really trying to convince me not to buy games on sale? :?

anoffday on
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm pretty sure they're telling you "Jeeze, people. Don't buy EVERY game that's on sale. Just cause it's only 2.50 doesn't mean you HAVE to buy it"

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    Reading the comments on that article is pretty amusing. Steam is a predator and wants your money!

XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Well I'm pretty sure that people do NOT buy every game on sale.. Take today's Daily for example.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Well I'm pretty sure that people do NOT buy every game on sale.. Take today's Daily for example.
    "11 friends already own this game"

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they're telling you "Jeeze, people. Don't buy EVERY game that's on sale. Just cause it's only 2.50 doesn't mean you HAVE to buy it"

I don't know of anyone who buys games they don't want, sale or not.

I've bought games I've been interested in, but wouldn't otherwise at full price. And I don't see how that's bad. If anything it's good. People discover new favorite games as well as developers they otherwise would have ignored.

I know most gog games are already cheap, but it just sounds like gog can't offer the kind of discounts steam does so why not attack it? I love gog, don't get me wrong, but I think most people can agree that gog's marketing strategies are kind of terrible.

This discussion has been closed.