As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video Game Industry Thread: Master Chief -- script delivery boy

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Ouch, sorry to hear that... I got hit by taxes a bit my first year doing freelancing stuff, so I know how it goes.

Meanwhile, the folks behind Star Command (y'know, the game you can play on the pooper) break down what happened with their Kickstarter money. It's pretty fascinating:
    Our kickstarter earned $36,967 after asking for $20,000 so that was incredible.

To begin with, we didn't get all of that. We lost about $2,000 to no-shows, just people that pledged and the funds did not transfer.

That got us down to $35k, and kickstarter and Amazon Payments take their portions, which got us down to right around $32,000.

Now, right off the top you had $10,000 for prize fulfillment. That includes printing the posters, the shirts and shipping everything (thanks Australia). If we had to do it again, we would have probably had the price point a bit higher for the t-shirts and posters, as those turned to be a very large expense. We also would have included the cost of a 3rd party fulfillment house - we just aren't equipped or skilled in that area, and it was (still is) something that we struggle with.

After that, we had $22,000 remaining. From there:

Music - $6,000
    Attorneys, startup fees, CPA - $4000
    Poster art - $2000
    iPads - $1000
    PAX East - $3000

TOTAL: $16,000

Leaving us with around $6000, which is income, so that was taxed (piece of advice to other kickstarters - spend that money before the end of the year).

So were right around $4000 remaining and even that cursory math isn't working as there are other things that weren't big tickets but sapped the coffers. There's odds and ends etc, so that goes rather quickly as you can imagine.

What would we do different? Keep the attorneys out of it. We got a little nervous after we recieved all the Kickstarter money and wanted to make sure our business was set up correctly. We registered our LLC's, got operating agreements etc, but in hindsight a nice piece of napkin paper probably would have done just as well. You plan for the worst (we all start hating each other and people start leaving) but if anything the team has gotten closer, so it seems like a lot of wasted money. If we could take it back we would. Maybe we will get another attorney and sue them.....wait.....

Rewards are something to watch out for as well. We just didn't fully appreciate the cost of printing 200 posters, shirts, and more than anything shipping. Shipping is a) expensive b) a pain in the ass when you have tubes and c) time consuming. None of those things are productive. We don't resent having sent that stuff off - we think the posters and shirts are awesome and we are super proud of them and it seems like everyone loved them, so thats great. But they were a lot of work.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/starcommand/star-command-sci-fi-meets-gamedev-story-for-ios-an/posts/208395

tl;dr: Best case scenario these guys get to hang onto maybe one twelfth of their Kickstarter money.

It's interesting that alot of their costs look fixed. Would seem to speak to smaller kickstarter projects being less viable.

The biggest thing there though is the cost of prizes. Kickstarters are gonna have to think about that in the future. Giving out a prize, you are gonna have to subtract the cost of giving the thing out from the donation amount to get the real value of that person's donation. Might lead to some rearranging of contribution levels.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    what exactly is unseemly about ww2 archival footage? That seems pretty cool, and fits the setting considering CoDs long history with that time period. Unless there's something that's not translating over here to me at work where I can't view the video itself. Hitler being in something does not make it instantly offensive. It's called history.

The music video I can understand as it doesn't serve a purpose in being there.

You don't see anything odd about Hitler being mentioned as a staff pick video for Modern Warfare 3? :P

Not really, no, since WW2 and Hitler specifically basically created the modern warfare doctrine. That whole "blitzkrieg" thing? That's how we run wars today, and love Hitler or hate him (please tell me you hate him), he was the architect of modern warfare.

Plus, it's HISTORY people. If you find history offensive when used mostly in context, you have an issue.

History Weenie On: No, Adolf Hitler did not create modern doctrine. He was a political leader, not a military one. The development of modern maneuver warfare during the late 1920's and 30's was performed by a variety of British, Russian, American, and German officers who all shamelessly took ideas from each other.

History Weenie Off.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    what exactly is unseemly about ww2 archival footage? That seems pretty cool, and fits the setting considering CoDs long history with that time period. Unless there's something that's not translating over here to me at work where I can't view the video itself. Hitler being in something does not make it instantly offensive. It's called history.

You don't see anything odd about Hitler being mentioned as a staff pick video for Modern Warfare 3? :P

Not really, no, since WW2 and Hitler specifically basically created the modern warfare doctrine. That whole "blitzkrieg" thing? That's how we run wars today, and love Hitler or hate him (please tell me you hate him), he was the architect of modern warfare.

Plus, it's HISTORY people. If you find history offensive when used mostly in context, you have an issue.

I don't think it's the fact that it was history, but the fact that the video was all "Hitler is awesome."

...I'm assuming. Damn Kotaku and their lack of context. At any rate, the uploader named himself "Ghostofthereich," if that's any indication.

By the way, did my avatar just blank out for everyone else? I just changed it, and it seemed to be up for maybe five minutes. Did this happen to anyone else?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Um, woops.
    You'd expect to see videos showcasing epic killstreaks and particularly inventive death-dealing chosen to be highlighted as staff picks on Call of Duty Elite's Theater pages. You might not expect to find Adolf Hitler there, though. And yet, there he is.

Alongside how-to videos where players show other players how best to wield certain weapons, one of history's most reviled leaders pops up twice as a Call of Duty Elite Theater staff pick on the internet hub of the social network centered around Activision's hit FPS series. COD Elite user GhostOfTheReich links to a YouTube video with archival World War II footage where Adolf Hitler appears and another clip linked by user laliludo is for a music video by Aryan rock group Final War.

According to e-mails sent to Kotaku, complaints about the video have gone unanswered and comment threads beneath one of the video indicate that there's been outrage for atl least a week about the staff pick.

The problem here is that there's not much transparency as to how this staff picks are selected. The most likely explanation is that there's some sort of algorithm at work but it's unclear if there is an actual human vetting the content that gets categorized as a staff pick on the COD Elite Theater channel.

Ironically, for at least one video, you can't click through to YouTube without getting a warning about potentially offensive content. We've reached out to Activision for comment on this story and will update if we hear back.

http://kotaku.com/5902311/pro+hitler-video-is-a-call-of-duty-elite--staff-pick

Assuming the same usernames, the Youtube channels for those two users have absolutely nothing to do with HISTORY YAY!

http://www.youtube.com/user/GhostOfTheReich?ob=0&feature=results_main
    These Videos are all Music Videos made by me, with my own made trance, in tribute to Germany Hitler and the 3rd Reich.

http://www.youtube.com/user/laliludo?gl=CO&hl=es-419

The second gentleman is definitely the same user as the offending video is number #7 in his uploaded videos.

Anyone on Elite want to link the other video?

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    I saw scruffy for a while, now it's a black square. Try opening up the picture you saved, taking a screenshot of it, pasting it into paint, and resaving it as a new format. I have that error from time to time if I convert between unsavory image formats, and by just taking a screenshot and then saving it, you bypass format conversion.

...hm, apparently trying to edit your uploaded picture within PA borks it. Fixed now.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Blitzkrieg Blitzkrieg! Fuckin' Blitzkrig boom!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Nintendo's never released heartbeat monitor? Yep, sega did it:

320px-OJHPT_6.jpg

The absolute rarest Mega Drive commercially sold, only 1000 of these were produced and sold exclusively in North America. This mega drive has a special connection for a heart rate monitor:

OJHPT_3.jpg

A few exercising programs were released with it, along with an ULTRA rare full-sized exercise bike.

• AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    The videos have been removed.

@xmaccabix This video was due to a linking issue which we've now fixed and has been removed.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular

320px-OJHPT_6.jpg

The absolute rarest Mega Drive commercially sold, only 1000 of these were produced and sold exclusively in North America. This mega drive has a special connection for a heart rate monitor:

OJHPT_3.jpg

A few exercising programs were released with it, along with an ULTRA rare full-sized exercise bike.

I <3 you for these posts.

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

There was actually one of those exercise bikes in one of the big gyms at Ft. Sill in Oklahoma, at least back in 2002 or so. I got to ride on it once, and it was kind of interesting, if a little embarrassing.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    If you died, did the system shut off automatically?

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular

320px-OJHPT_6.jpg

OJHPT_3.jpg

Why do I get the feeling that if you don't already own one of these, you're currently looking to get hold of it?

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Beltaine wrote: »
    If you died, did the system shut off automatically?

Deleted your save game if you didn't jump off the bike in time.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    subedii wrote: »

320px-OJHPT_6.jpg

OJHPT_3.jpg

Why do I get the feeling that if you don't already own one of these, you're currently looking to get hold of it?

Naw, but I wish I had the money for this:

200px-Segasoniccosmofighter.jpg

SegaSonicCosmoFighter_Screen.jpg

SegaSonic Cosmo Fighter. I know a guy selling one for $2500 right now. They're super rare, especially in the shell. But I don't have the money for it at the time.

• AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    Nintendo and Sony facing losses? Sega did it first with 5 years straight worth of losses.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »

History Weenie On: No, Adolf Hitler did not create modern doctrine. He was a political leader, not a military one. The development of modern maneuver warfare during the late 1920's and 30's was performed by a variety of British, Russian, American, and German officers who all shamelessly took ideas from each other.

History Weenie Off.

Minds like Tukachevsky (of the USSR) had much more to do with modern military doctrine, especially the notion of "deep operations", which he pretty much invented and were emulated by other countries.

Now you know.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

History Weenie Off.

Minds like Tukachevsky (of the USSR) had much more to do with modern military doctrine, especially the notion of "deep operations", which he pretty much invented and were emulated by other countries.

After Stalin killed him.

edited April 2012
    Gaslight wrote: »

History Weenie Off.

After Stalin killed him.

Ding ding ding. But ideas are harder to kill--and there were serious problems with Tukachevsky's theories (then again, he was made a Marshal at 30, and no one's perfect) which were refined by the next cycle of officers.

The purges also destroyed fascist sympathies in the Red Army that may have provided a potential fifth column insurgency that would have ended with the genocide of the Slavs and Western Asians, but...I can't think of a gaming metaphor for that, so forget it.

Kadoken wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Who is Finland in this analogy?

THQ. They're not doing so well. Poland is Capcom, Italy is Ubisoft, England is Sega.

Valve is the USA.

I was going to say Nintendo, but I erased it because they're not that comparable.

Valve as USA? Perfect.

Coming again to save the motherfucking day, yeah! (for PC gaming)

So, Valve splits one fifth of the continental gaming struggle with Sega, while the other four-fifths go to whoever is unlucky enough to be the Soviet Union?

Bummer. Does sound about right though.

Synthesis on
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular

History Weenie Off.

After Stalin killed him.

Ding ding ding. But ideas are harder to kill--and there were serious problems with Tukachevsky's theories (then again, he was made a Marshal at 30, and no one's perfect) which were refined by the next cycle of officers.

THQ. They're not doing so well. Poland is Capcom, Italy is Ubisoft, England is Sega.

Valve is the USA.

I was going to say Nintendo, but I erased it because they're not that comparable.

Valve as USA? Perfect.

So, Valve splits one fifth of the continental gaming struggle with Sega, while the other four-fifths go to whoever is unlucky enough to be the Soviet Union?

But Tukachevsky took many of his ideas from Basil Lidell Hart, among others. And the air component of maneuver warfare/deep strike doctrine came from Billy Mitchell.

edited April 2012

History Weenie Off.

After Stalin killed him.

Valve is the USA.

Valve as USA? Perfect.

But Tukachevsky took many of his ideas from Basil Lidell Hart, among others. And the air component of maneuver warfare/deep strike doctrine came from Billy Mitchell.

Sounds about right to me. The point was he had far more to do in doctrine development than Hitler--it doesn't surprise me that a theoretics officer in his thirties promoted to the highest military rank in his huge-ass country would borrow from everyone he could find.

And I'm pretty sure B. H. Hart extensively studied Napoleon and Sun Tzu in turn. I heard in passing that Mitchell studied the later, but I'm NOT a military historian and that could have just been a broad statement.

EDIT: My original quote isn't clear that I was referencing Hitler himself. My bad.

Synthesis on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    That kickstarter expenses report just shows that they didn't really think things through very well. They offered far too much in the way of physical rewards with the result that just making and shipping those ended up costing them a huge chunk of their funding. And then they overspent on things that they shouldn't have like PAX and legal (not a bad idea to spend on legal for this kind of thing, but they spent WAY too much).

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

History Weenie Off.

After Stalin killed him.

Valve is the USA.

Valve as USA? Perfect.

And finally we bring this tangent back to games/gaming industry.

The asshole from King of Kong has a hand in the development of warfare as we know it.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited April 2012
    Hold onto your butts.
    Apple could be getting back into the console game market with a helping hand from Valve, according to a report on Cult of Mac.

The Apple-focused news site followed up reports that Apple CEO Tim Cook visited the Bellevue, Washington, headquarters of Valve last week with an explanation for the executive's trip. According to Cult of Mac sources, Apple is preparing a TV set for release later this year that "will come with an Apple-branded, Kinect-like video game console." According to the site, the system will rely on motion and touch controls, possibly through a touch screen remote that will come with the TV.

The news follows rumors of Valve's entry into the hardware market. Last week, the developer posted job listings for an electronics engineer to join its hardware team, which is creating "whole new gaming experiences." The company has also said it is investigating the field of wearable computing and augmented reality.

Neither Apple nor Valve returned requests for comment as of press time.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/apple-game-console-rumored-for-2012-launch-6371858

Certainly interesting, but if Valve is just now hiring guys to work on wacky control schemes, I seriously doubt such a product would be ready for 2012.

Also: I want this product to exist simply because the cognitive dissonance stereotypical game nerds have toward loving Valve and hating Apple will cause heads to explode.

cloudeagle on
    edited April 2012
    I just want to see wear-able computing, because honestly, videogamers don't look geeky enough.

Fairchild on
  • Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Hold onto your butts.
    Apple could be getting back into the console game market with a helping hand from Valve, according to a report on Cult of Mac.

The Apple-focused news site followed up reports that Apple CEO Tim Cook visited the Bellevue, Washington, headquarters of Valve last week with an explanation for the executive's trip. According to Cult of Mac sources, Apple is preparing a TV set for release later this year that "will come with an Apple-branded, Kinect-like video game console." According to the site, the system will rely on motion and touch controls, possibly through a touch screen remote that will come with the TV.

The news follows rumors of Valve's entry into the hardware market. Last week, the developer posted job listings for an electronics engineer to join its hardware team, which is creating "whole new gaming experiences." The company has also said it is investigating the field of wearable computing and augmented reality.

Certainly interesting, but if Valve is just now hiring guys to work on wacky control schemes, I seriously doubt such a product would be ready for 2012.

Also: I want this product to exist simply because the cognitive dissonance stereotypical game nerds have toward loving Valve and hating Apple will cause heads to explode.

I was excited about this until I got to the second bolded part. An Apple/Valve console? Yes, please! Some new TV with built-in waggle controls? No thanks. Haven't TV manufacturers been taking a beating lately?

kyrcl.png
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    I was excited about this until I got to the second bolded part. An Apple/Valve console? Yes, please! Some new TV with built-in waggle controls? No thanks. Haven't TV manufacturers been taking a beating lately?

TVs are pretty much the largest cause of their 6.4 billion loss, yep. Probably because everyone's already upgraded. And unless this thing manages to be super-dirt cheap, I can't see it truly catching on. (Apple's involved, it won't be cheap.)

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Okay, look. This thread is the Videogame Industry Thread, not the SUPER SECRET LETS USE IT AS A CHAT THREAD Videogame Industry Thread. You want to talk about sales? Sure. You want to talk about X company laying off a team? Great. You want to talk about your favorite game from system X and how you can't afford to eat because of games? No, fuck you, go away.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Hold onto your butts.

This is the oddest pairing up ever. I mean, both companies obviously do their respective businesses damn well, but coming together for a project is weird. The way I see it, Apple is would be handling the hardware while Valve will be handling the software. This could just be bad news though. Microsoft beat everyone to the punch with regard to a control scheme that involves actual body motion capture. Apple would have to take it to the next level (recognition of individual fingers, depth perception, that sort of thing) for it to work. Otherwise this could just flop like Sony's attempt to emulate the Wii control scheme.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Henroid wrote: »
    Hold onto your butts.

This is the oddest pairing up ever. I mean, both companies obviously do their respective businesses damn well, but coming together for a project is weird. The way I see it, Apple is would be handling the hardware while Valve will be handling the software. This could just be bad news though. Microsoft beat everyone to the punch with regard to a control scheme that involves actual body motion capture. Apple would have to take it to the next level (recognition of individual fingers, depth perception, that sort of thing) for it to work. Otherwise this could just flop like Sony's attempt to emulate the Wii control scheme.

I think this sums up this relationship.
    http://www.nerfnow.com/comic/323

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    SALES REPORT INCOMING AND ALSO ANTI-DOOM INCOMING FROM THE PC FRONT COURTESY OF THE LEGEND OF GRIMROCK DEVS
    Oh yeah, we’ve had many inquiries on how the sales have been doing and, well, we couldn’t be happier with them! We were sitting solidly as the #1 Steam top seller for a while but it seems like we have now been dethroned… So if you still know anyone who might be able to help us in our struggle to regain dominance, let them know ! Anyways, the development costs of the game have now been covered many times over so the future of the company seems pretty secure. So, everyone who has bought our game and supported us, you have our gratitude!

http://www.grimrock.net/2012/04/13/launch-week-update/

In a way I'm just posting this because it's the usual "yay a PC dev doing well!" news I absolutely adore, but there's probably something to discuss about Almost Human's success and what they did right that I'll leave to those who have been following the game. I wouldn't exactly expect a old school dungeon crawler to be popular enough to recoup costs within a week, but there it is.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Wait, so a dev managed to make money by not insanely overbudgeting a game and instead making it fun and interesting? And is happy with their sales performance instead of bitching about piracy or some other garbage?

Clearly, we have stepped into the Twilight Zone

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    I'd guess that Apple isn't making a physical tv but is making an upgraded Apple TV box that'll hook up to any tv and basically be a media/app box.

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    I'd guess that Apple isn't making a physical tv but is making an upgraded Apple TV box that'll hook up to any tv and basically be a media/app box.

and all of a sudden everyone will want one.

My desktop has been sitting behind my HDTV for years now. Luckily the center is nice and hides it perfectly.

• JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    This is how it reads to me except...what the fuck would they need Valve for then? If it's just iOS games in an AppleTV box, what do they get from Valve?

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    This is how it reads to me except...what the fuck would they need Valve for then? If it's just iOS games in an AppleTV box, what do they get from Valve?

Something way easier to shop than the app store? Because holy fuck is the app store a beast.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote: »

Apple gains credibility for gaming simply by association. Yes, yes. The iPad and iPhone has stellar sales and are doing great stuff, but public perception is still that the software is happening on its own, that this is not part of Apple's design. By involving Valve, Apple will gain the blessing and perception of building a machine expressly intended for gaming among its functions.

...That is, if that's what Apple is up to.

Nintendo's been saying their next big competitor is Apple for a while now.

Somehow I wouldn't see Nintendo naming names like that unless they had some dirt somewhere.

• C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Wasteland 2 party livestream started (All money wasted on golden balloons)

http://www.twitch.tv/inxile_entertainment/

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Well, they hired Matt Cassamassina for a reason right? Right?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Apparently today's EA day.

Keeping with the theme:

EA Backs Off On Bans, Allows Access To Offline Content

If you got a little overzealous on Battlefield 3 and maybe installed a hack or two, you probably figured your ban would only pertain to the online portion of the game via EA's Origin service. WRONG.

Hey, Electronic Arts wasn't about to earn the title of Worst Company in America sitting down. Though, now that the Golden Poo award has been handed out, the publishing giant is taking a step back from their Origin bans policy. Switch your Origin client to offline mode and enjoy all those single-player games you bought and paid for.

If you're still hoping to get back online with EA's Origin service, you'll need to appeal the ban and hope someone thinks you've learned your lesson.

Not that people who use hacks to gain an advantage deserve much sympathy.

NNID: Rehab0
This discussion has been closed.