As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me access my hard drive please!

LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
My old PC broke; I bought a new, super-whizzy one, and put the hard drive from my broken PC into an external case and plugged it in. This drive has loads of photos of works in progress as well as finished paintings that I can't post to canvas and paints, as well as a load of word files I'd quite like to access. Every time I try to access it, I get the same error message:

Windows can't open this file:

File: grldr.bak

To open this file Windows needs to know what program you want to use to open it. Windows can go online to look for it automatically, or you can manually select from a list of programs that are installed on your computer.

What do you want to do:
Use the web service to find the correct program.
Select a program from a list of installed programs.

At this point, beyond saying "Melt Wizard." I have no idea what to do! There are apparently 31 mb free out of 99mb, in case that's any further use.

Help, please. Thank you.

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    LuianeLuiane Registered User regular
    From the 31 mb free of 99 mb, it sounds to me like your new computer is trying to access a backup partition that windows 7 creates when you install the computer, which is meant to be used to recover from errors and not meant to be accessed when you are actually using your computer. My guess is that for some reason the hidden status of your partitions has switched, meaning that you cannot see the partition where all of the files that you actually want to access are!

Fortunately, if this really is the cause of the problem, it can be rather simply remedied - to begin with you need to enter computer management - you can access this either by opening the startmenu, right clicking on Computer and selecting manage, or typing compmgmt.msc the search bar of the start menu.

After you have computer management open, there should be a list of tools at the right side - you are looking for storage -> disk management here. After selecting that you should get a list of harddrives that are connected to your computer and the partitions that are on them. If it is as I believe no drive letter will be assigned to the major partition of your old drive. So what you need to do is assign a drive letter to it! Do this by right clicking on the partition and select Change Drive Letter and Path. After that you can assign a letter that is currently not used by your other partitions, which should let you access the data on the drive!

Found a tutorial on youtube that might be of assistance:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3jvx5AW8-I

Hope this helps and that this is truly what is behind your hard drive problems!

Steam id: Varys
    LoL EU West nickname: Irridan
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    Hey Luiane, thank you for the advice! I've got so far, then I don't know what to do - the external drive is already called E - I could tell by looking at how much space there was left on it, although another drive doesn't have a letter assigned to it. This kind of stuff really scares me, in case I screw the whole thing up!

This is the screen I get when I do the first part of what you said to do:

[img][/img]discmanagementimage.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I don't know what to do next - I think I'm just incredibly dense and a scaredy-cat!

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    LuianeLuiane Registered User regular
    I can't really make anything out from that picture, I think imageshack downsized it. If you want to I can pm you my email and you can send it to me, or you could try uploading it again or something! I can make out that there are two partitions on one of the drives and 3 on one of them, I take it that the one with 2 partitions is the external drive and that one of them is hidden?

Changing the drive letter is very unlikely to cause serious problems: If it does mess anything up it is very easy to just remove it just the same way you add it!

Steam id: Varys
    LoL EU West nickname: Irridan
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    LPMum

The second disk with partions has two partitions on it. the one with your data is the second, larger partition next to 'system reserved'. First you need to make sure a drive letter is assigned to that partition. Right click the larger partition on the right and click 'change drive letter and paths' If no letter is assigned, assign an unused drive letter. At this point you should be able to access the drive via computer in the start menu. If you cannot open the drive but you can see it, you can right click it, hit properties and run a chkdsk agaisnt the drive to see if that will resolve anything.

Anything beyond this can be much more serious.

I will watch this thread and should reply rather quickly when you get a better image up. (edit, not watchin anymore) There are more things I can have you do. But start with the drive letter and we can move from there. Love the art you do though, it's awesome.

Draygo on