As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dark Souls] If only I could be so grossly incandescent (as Durante) - Res fix in OP

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    How important is magic? I've been buffing Strength, Vitality and Endurance right now since I've only just found a Catalyst and still have yet to learn a spell.

• fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Magic is really overpowered compared to melee in Demons, atleast IMO. Since MP is easily recoverable and enemies/most bosses have little to no magic resistance, you can pretty much kite/dodge the entire game.

I made a brand new Royalty about 2 days ago, got to just past the Flame Spider in 2-1 after doing 1-2. Today I finished the rest of the damn game just by spamming the starter spell, then moving to the Idol Soul shot, and then to homing/firestorm once I finished some Archs. My girl is only lvl 67 and now on Ng+, compared to my 90+ melee character that I have up on and quit at King Allant. I even had a meat cleaver and solid miracles, still get wrecked.

Fuck melee Alant.

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
    Good thing I'm quite early on then, I'll start pumping Magic a fair bit more. Kind of disappointed I chose the Hunter class now.

• ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    Spent hours levelling my Pryomancer before Smough and Ornstein so I had the necessary Int to use Great Magic Weapon... and now I can't cast the spells. I need a catalyst, or something? Where does one find these things, and is it worth it considering I guess I'd have to unequip my pyro glove?

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm 99% sure the sorc NPC from lower undead burg that relocates to firelink will sell catalysts, logan might too if you sprung him from sen's fortress

also, you should be able to put the catalyst in your shield hand and cast it from there, no?

Torgairon on
  • pawa24pawa24 Registered User regular
    Is the prepare to die edition pc only?

As of right now, yes. They might announce some kind of DLC for the console versions of the game but I personally don't think it'll happen.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    no news of console dlc yet so... maybe?

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Stick and move, stick and move! And uh, run when needed.

wVEsyIc.png
  • pawa24pawa24 Registered User regular
    Damn I want more dark souls

• DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    So it's possible to attune the same spell to multiple slots, according to the wiki. How can I do it? It's not really apparent.

i think you just have to buy another copy of the spell

• HaleskarthHaleskarth Registered User regular
    So it's possible to attune the same spell to multiple slots, according to the wiki. How can I do it? It's not really apparent.

You have to acquire the spell more than once. For some its possible to do this in a single game, for the good ones, multiple plays.

pretty sure you need to purchase multiple copies of the spell, i.e. there are 3 copies of the Heal spell sold by various different clerics throughout the game, and you could have 3 slots, each slot with 5 casts of heal.

• Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular

Find/Buy more copies of same spell; select open slot when "attuning magic" at a bonfire; select same spell that you wish to have more uses of (and you already have occupying a slot); press 'okay'; Done.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    Torgairon wrote: »
    I'm 99% sure the sorc NPC from lower undead burg that relocates to firelink will sell catalysts, logan might too if you sprung him from sen's fortress

also, you should be able to put the catalyst in your shield hand and cast it from there, no?

Oh my god, I'm an idiot. I'd somehow convinced myself that my right hand was weapons only, left hand was shields only.

g4OlSIF.jpg
    dual wielding isn't really a thing in this game while blocking constantly is invaluable for most builds, so it's not as if you've been missing too much. there's definitely some utility to be found, though, especially if you're interested in utilizing two spell types at once.

so I have a question for some of the older dark souls players, the ones that dabbled in player vs. player - what weapons do you think are worth investing in? I rediscovered my darkwraith character that I was grooming for pvp before I took a break, and have gotten seriously addicted to trolling around anor londo, stalking people/groups going for O&S. my default weapon is the washing pole, which is great for playing a poke game and wearing people down, but sometimes it just doesn't have the oomph to trade with heavier str-based weapons like the BKaxe and DKaxe effectively. the shotel seems interesting (I've lost to a guy who refused to give me space to poke him and just hit me through my shield until I ran away in ignominy and shame), as do backstab builds with upgraded rapiers/bandit knives and the accompanying rings to increase backstab damage.

• LorkLork Registered User regular
    I've had a lot of success with the moonlight greatsword in the past. The MLGS is only for sorcerers obviously, but anything in the greatsword line should suffice. They have a fantastic one handed R1 combo that will completely shut down any attempt at a backstab and can easily stunlock people to death if they're not wearing heavy armor. Not a very "skill" based weapon, but a good choice if you want to just mash your way to victory.

Steam Profile: Lork
    my other pvp-focused char was a sorc with the moonlight greatsword, it is most definitely ridiculous but sadly it doesn't really mesh with my specific character build, which is decently well rounded with str/agi/vit/end. at some point I'll probably have to spend my souls and level up, SL52 kind of locks you into zero-scaling weapons because my stats are just too low to jump to more solid options.

Wowww, I just used my gravelord curse and suddenly came into possession of ~ 27,000,000 souls.

Wowww, I just used my gravelord curse and suddenly came into possession of ~ 27,000,000 souls.

:shock: :^:

I'm not even sure what I would do with that sort of hysterical bounty, that pretty much breaks your first playthrough so...honestly, I'd probably give some thought to spending a tiny fraction and dumping the rest. obviously that's my subjective opinion, though.

• DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    You're talking to the person who apparently hit level 400 in Demon's Souls, so... good luck with that.

Well, finally got past 5-1 (boss was so freaking easy it was painful), and beat 2-2 (again, boss was easy. At first magic blasting made it easy, and then he suddenly gets stuck and it becomes EVEN EASIER).

So far the bosses are mostly mildly challenging at best. So far I've been just using exploits and magic blasting. Honestly I thought Fool's Idol was the toughest thus far, and yet a lot of people say she was easy. Adjucator is the only one that killed me, but that was because I hardly knew what the hell was going on before half my life was gone.

Oh well, I'm sure they'll get harder. It's the areas that are really killing me though. If it's not french-kissing Mind Flayers, it's exploding bearbugs. If it's not Storm Beasts and skeletons, it's annoying hordes of aborted freaks (no offense, but that's what they are) that try to poison me on narrow walk-ways. If it's not Boletar- Wait, Boletaria's fairly tame. Never mind.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    Well, finally got past 5-1 (boss was so freaking easy it was painful), and beat 2-2 (again, boss was easy. At first magic blasting made it easy, and then he suddenly gets stuck and it becomes EVEN EASIER).

So far the bosses are mostly mildly challenging at best. So far I've been just using exploits and magic blasting. Honestly I thought Fool's Idol was the toughest thus far, and yet a lot of people say she was easy. Adjucator is the only one that killed me, but that was because I hardly knew what the hell was going on before half my life was gone.

Oh well, I'm sure they'll get harder. It's the areas that are really killing me though. If it's not french-kissing Mind Flayers, it's exploding bearbugs. If it's not Storm Beasts and skeletons, it's annoying hordes of aborted freaks (no offense, but that's what they are) that try to poison me on narrow walk-ways. If it's not Boletar- Wait, Boletaria's fairly tame. Never mind.

Magic (and Flamelurker getting stuck :P) does make most bosses easier, yeah. Maneater and Allant are the biggest pains you've got left really. Of course, the real Demon's Souls starts in NG+ pure black world tendency :P

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
    Incidentally, I like how you regenerate MP by making yourself smell nicer.

jagobannerpic.jpg

wait how is this a thing that happens?

• RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular

Note: This is taken from the perspective of someone who doesn't use summons, allies, or gets any help of any kind. I play these games on single player offline only.

Dark Souls and Demon's Souls have reversed difficulties. My general feeling is that the levels in Demon's Souls are quite difficult in certain places (Valley of Defilement, Latvarian Prison sections), while the boss fights are trivially, trivially, easy. There are maybe 2-3 actually challenging fights in Demon's Souls, and almost everything else is rather gimmicky. During my entire first play through of Demon's Souls I think I died maybe 5 times total to bosses. (Twice to Allant, once to Maneater, and one time to the Old Knight when I didn't know what his gimmick was) All of the other bosses I basically just one-shot.

Dark Souls, however, fucking Dark Souls has incredibly challenging bosses. The wolf and Smough fights are easily harder than anything in Demon's Souls. I can't even count the number of times I've died to bosses in this game. I love the boss fights in this game, and I've enjoyed Dark Souls more than Demon's Souls as a result. Although, the general areas in Dark Souls are much much easier. I've found it pretty easy to go wherever I want without much hassle.

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    More info! I'll be picking it up anyway but interesting.
    The PC version of Dark Souls may not be restricted to Games for Windows Live, Namco Bandai has said.

In an interview session at Namco Bandai's Global Gamer Day in Las Vegas, Dark Souls producer and director Hidetaka Miyazaki responded to the recent fan petition requesting that the highly-anticipated PC port be supported by online services other than Games for Windows Live.

"We are aware of the petition against Games for Windows Live, but that's a more publishing side of the question, so I will pass your questions to publishing producer from Namco Bandai," he said before sensibly handing over to a colleague.

A spokesperson for publisher Namco Bandai then elaborated a little further on the situation that has caused consternation amongst gamers, hinting that they may yet see the PC port of the critically-acclaimed game supported by other digital services.

"For Games for Windows Live, that's the established server we used for our 360 version for the console - that is the main reason that we've picked the Xbox Live server," he explained, before referring us to the hotel manager. Not really.

"The partnership is still ongoing, so we might have another announcement regarding publishing," he concluded.

19,511 have signed an anti-Games for Windows Live Dark Souls PC petition. "GFWL is unpopular, difficult to use, inconvenient, has terrible online support (a key feature in Dark Souls), and is downright unpleasant," reads the its manifesto.

"After anxiously awaiting a PC release for this fantastic game it feels like a real slap in the face hearing Dark Souls will use Games for Windows Live."

Since the launch of the petition, Namco Bandai's European team has gathered feedback from PC gamers with a view to presenting its findings to the development team.

"Just to keep you updated, we (the whole European team) have been feverishly gathering all your thoughts and comments and will be approaching the development teams etc with this ASAP and we will move on from there," UK community manager Hollie Bennett wrote on the Namco Bandai UK forum. "Don't worry your voices have not been forgotten."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-17-dark-souls-pc-may-not-be-restricted-to-games-for-windows-live

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    That's hilarious and awesome.

I really hope any addtions to the game for the PC version make their way to PS3/Xbox versions in the form of DLC (or better yet, free patch)

PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    While it'd be neat I'm hoping people don't just turn their noses up and refuse to purchase the game should it get released with GFWL. Encouraging Namco to publish this and the future games in this series on the PC is of far greater importance than GFWL complaints.

• Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    Is this the loud majority or does GFWL really suck this much and most people hate and don't use it? I don't think I've owned a game that's on it so I actually don't know.

PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I've owned a few games on it. It's not terrible, but it's not great either, one of the bigger problems is that it's regional- you live in a country that doesn't have GLFW support? Good luck buying the game there.
    I bought Viva Pinata in Slovenia and was happily told my country wasn't supported when I tried to install it. Luckily it doesn't (or at least, didn't) do IP checks, so I just registered it to another country, but if the store actually bothered checking regional support or the game was a digital purchase I'd've been screwed.

Glal on
  • AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    "...unpopular, difficult to use, inconvenient, has terrible online support (a key feature in Dark Souls)...

I don't see the problem here :lol:

• DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I've had issues with most GFWL purchases (especially older ones requiring updates...grrr), so while seeing it was disheartening, I've gone ahead and decided if I want to see future titles released on PC alongside consoles I have to support this iteration.

I did actually send an email to NB asking them to consider a different system for their next release. I figure that was better than attacking them.

Decoy on

wait how is this a thing that happens?

I guess somebody decided that walking around with 54 mill souls unused was a good idea? I have no inkling how it happened. I just know that I'm around level 175 now!

• gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Have they said what exactly the mods are going to allow?

Because all I really want are new levels! And maybe an NPC that immediately pops you into NG+++ with a level 120 character and maxed gear, spells, and covenants :)

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I need to get back to this game. I stalled out at Ornstein & Smough and haven't had the time to get back to it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    Getting really tired of people backstabbing me from the front and also from 10 feet away during my defensive roll.

DoctorArch wrote: »
    I need to get back to this game. I stalled out at Ornstein & Smough and haven't had the time to get back to it.

I feel you. I got to the painted world and haven't played in a while. I made a new character to capitalize on all the tricks I've learned for awesome early game gear and just messed around a bit (somehow got a bks from the first bk in the game... about 2 minutes after i killed the merchant for his katana god damn it). I need to get back to my main character.

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Roz wrote: »
    The wolf and Smough fights are easily harder than anything in Demon's Souls. I can't even count the number of times I've died to bosses in this game.

Wait, the wolf? You mean Sif? That's one of the easiest boss fights in the game. Almost every single attack of his can be easily blocked and the one or two that are hard to block are easy to dodge.

The wolf fight is actually exactly what you were saying Demon's Souls was like - unless you join the Forest Covenant, it is far more difficult to get to the wolf boss (with all the stealthed warriors trying to kill you in the forest and pretty much guaranteed invasions if you're not hollow) than it is to actually fight it.

RainbowDespair on
This discussion has been closed.