As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Arizona] says, you're pregnant for up to two weeks before you're pregnant.

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    :?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    How can people possibly be that stupid I don't even ACK MY HEAD

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Well, I mean, they have a point.

One time I held hands with a girl and then five years later I had sex with a completely different one. So, QED I guess.

Lh96QHG.png
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    mythago wrote: »
    emp123, that website doesn't quite say what you suggest. It is talking about states that have laws specifically saying "if you use this drug WHILE PREGNANT it is a crime". That is very different from states which have laws about child endangerment and child abuse. It's illegal to give drugs to a minor, right? WELL YOUR BABY IS A MINOR KTHX.

This and this talk about use of these laws to punish pregnant women for attempting suicide, for using drugs at any time (under laws that are intended to prevent, say, bringing a child into a meth lab), or for murder because they used drugs during pregnancy even when the drug use had nothing to do with a miscarriage.

The website covers states with laws specifically relating to drug use while pregnant while the pdf covers states using child welfare laws to arrest/prosecute pregnant mothers, sorry if I didnt make that clear.

emp123 on
    edited April 2012
    This is a few days old, but since we are kinda on the subject.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/04/11/states-with-abstinence-only-sex-ed-programs-rank-highest-in-teen-pregnancies/

I know it should be obvious, but some people really don't understand that for thousands of years, no matter how harsh the fallout, hormone crazy kids will have sex. The best you can do is educate them. You're an idiot otherwise.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    It isn't even about that, it's about punishing them.

"So what if they got pregnant by accident? Shoulda closed their legs."

They either don't understand or don't care what happens when you take that attitude to a whole population.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/04/11/states-with-abstinence-only-sex-ed-programs-rank-highest-in-teen-pregnancies/

I know it should be obvious, but some people really don't understand that for thousands of years, no matter how harsh the fallout, hormone crazy kids will have sex. The best you can do is educate them. You're an idiot otherwise.

Nah in twenty years we'll have those pills from the giver. That's worthless for kids today but oh well!

I mean nobody will take them and the program will fail miserably regardless but Conservatives will still push them hard.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    edited April 2012

Nah in twenty years we'll have those pills from the giver. That's worthless for kids today but oh well!

I mean nobody will take them and the program will fail miserably regardless but Conservatives will still push them hard.

But what about those kids who become sexually active before they are 18 and can't make health decisions about their bodies without their parents? All they will know about reproduction is abstenence. Setting them up for failure.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Also, funny side note that ran across the news ticker; some dude in the 'Zona is trying to pass an initiative to 'allow' Arizona voters veto power over the federal government.

Awesome, that state is like Arkansas circa 1957.

BWAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Well, maybe---

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Good luck with that, you dehydrated morons.

It's so silly. You know that the voters in Arizona will approve the ballot initiative, and it'll become state law, then the federal government will sue, and waste a ton of money on lawyering that didn't need to be done.

I really wish the Feds would just send the state capital the following memo, in the event that law passes
    MEMORANDUM

To: State Legislators and Governor of the State of Arizona
    Re: Prop X

Content: No, you dumb fucks, you are not an independent nation.

THE END

Signed, The Fucking Government

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    The Arizona statehood just fascinates me. The amount of nuts there is amazing; however, my interactions (para la trabajar) are with a group of people that tend to be self-actualized beings that have rational thoughts on all these topics. It's just a very odd state.

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Now that I think about it some more. One of my cohorts mentioned, at one point, that the guy who "authored" and sponsored SB1070 was recalled and he was able to run again for his same position; and he added, interestingly, a significant portion of his money for the campaign was linked to sources from outside of Arizona.

So while there are a lot of crazy people that seem to live there (perhaps just a lot of crusty old retired people like in Florida?), I'm wondering if their voice is being amplified by outside donors.

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Now that I think about it some more. One of my cohorts mentioned, at one point, that the guy who "authored" and sponsored SB1070 was recalled and he was able to run again for his same position; and he added, interestingly, a significant portion of his money for the campaign was linked to sources from outside of Arizona.

So while there are a lot of crazy people that seem to live there (perhaps just a lot of crusty old retired people like in Florida?), I'm wondering if their voice is being amplified by outside donors.

I can guarantee you there are a lot of retired rich old fucks in Arizona. I worked for a satellite internet company and probably half the "waah why is my service turned off" calls I got were from snowbird fuckheads and they were overwhelmingly from accounts in Arizona and Florida.

• mythagomythago Registered User regular

Very much so.

Three lines of plaintext:
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular

I don't think you're aware of the level of cognitive dissonance your average conservative suffers from.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'd love for the Republicans to ban birth control

Their party may be hard to kill, but banning birth control would stab it, poison it, burn it, cut off its head, and run it through a mulching machine

So what you're saying is Republicans are like Rasputin?

They're communists?? I KNEW IT.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    The Arizona statehood just fascinates me. The amount of nuts there is amazing; however, my interactions (para la trabajar) are with a group of people that tend to be self-actualized beings that have rational thoughts on all these topics. It's just a very odd state.

Like any place there are perfectly normal people there as well. Same way there are crazy conservatives in Seattle or New York City.

However, the population skews hard toward the 'tard.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Generally the more rural the area the more hard it skews toward the 'tard.

Arizona is mostly rural.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Hacksaw wrote: »

I don't think you're aware of the level of cognitive dissonance your average conservative suffers from.

I'm aware, I just find it unbelievable people can be so ignorant on how teens work. Guess that's what happens when you gut education and made ignorance a virtue.

Someone should show them Chris Rocks standup.

steam_sig.png

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    bowen wrote: »

Their party may be hard to kill, but banning birth control would stab it, poison it, burn it, cut off its head, and run it through a mulching machine

It's worse than that. Sometimes not even all of that is enough to do the job.

Vigo.png

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

It's worse than that. Sometimes not even all of that is enough to do the job.

4421699283_4d24433595.jpg

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't get the reference, and the file name is unenlightening.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    That's Raz, he's a psychic. I assume the implication is that you read his mind?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    He is Viggo! You are like the buzzing of flies to him!

steam_sig.png

Hacksaw wrote: »

I'm aware, I just find it unbelievable people can be so ignorant on how teens work. Guess that's what happens when you gut education and made ignorance a virtue.

Someone should show them Chris Rocks standup.

You really think showing the overwhelmingly racist population of Arizona part of a black comedian's stand-up routine is going to fly over well with them?

I'm from Arizona...

So maybe?
    I haven't lived there for 13 years. There is a reason that once I turned 18 I left and never looked back.

steam_sig.png

I would do the same, but at nearly 35 I am out of places I can afford to not look back to.

I'm from Arizona...

So maybe?
    I haven't lived there for 13 years. There is a reason that once I turned 18 I left and never looked back.

You made the right decision.

• Mad King GeorgeMad King George Registered User regular
    So is the big deal really from the religious angle? Wouldn't an aborted kid get an automatic ticket to Heaven?

All of this smacks so much of not wanting potential tax payers denied to the state.

• November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    The state saves a significant amount of money through legalized abortion and family planning, so its not a monetary incentive.

It is entirely a religious/ethical argument.

The state saves a significant amount of money through legalized abortion and family planning, so its not a monetary incentive.

It is entirely a religious/ethical argument.

So these folk want people to be born into a world like Arizona rather than go be with Jesus? That's all kinds of messed up.

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    So is the big deal really from the religious angle? Wouldn't an aborted kid get an automatic ticket to Heaven?

All of this smacks so much of not wanting potential tax payers denied to the state.

Depends on the brand of religion since a fetus cannot accept Christ or get the stain of original sin off of them this is actually something debated about.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.

Nope; they'd die unbaptized, and thus wouldn't be admissible to heaven.

Kagera wrote: »

Depends on the brand of religion since a fetus cannot accept Christ or get the stain of original sin off of them this is actually something debated about.

I always thought babies fell into the exemption category. Why would anyone believe in a God that would, for example, send a seven and a half month miscarriage to hell?

Does this also get debated about critically retarded people? I mean, how would they be able to make an actual choice?

• SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular

I always thought babies fell into the exemption category. Why would anyone believe in a God that would, for example, send a seven and a half month miscarriage to hell?

Does this also get debated about critically retarded people? I mean, how would they be able to make an actual choice?

This is the kind of bullshit that happens when a religion gets too far up its own ass. Christian has been colon deep for atleast 1500 years.

gotsig.jpg
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Sicarii wrote: »

This is the kind of bullshit that happens when a religion gets too far up its own ass. Christian has been colon deep for atleast 1500 years.

That timeline puts the head-up-ass genesis around the lifetime of St. Augustine...sounds about right.

He added just what a mystical Jewish offshoot needed, Platonic philosophy and a supreme intellectual ego. Granted, Augustine was a hell of a philosopher in the technical sense, but his concepts set the course for Christian Theology to take a long ride to crazytown.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular

It's a thing hell just think of all the heathens who went to hell because they never even heard the word of Jesus because they lived in north America.

Of course then you get things like the Mormons converting people posthumously which makes others love them so much. Anyway this isn't a religion thread so I'll stop here.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I have one of those at work. I try not to talk to him any more.

• MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote:
    http://rt.com/usa/news/arizona-bill-conception-abortion-387/

This is so mind-bogglingly stupid that I think I gave myself Cancer just trying to figure it out.
    A new bill up for vote in the state of Arizona would ban abortions for some expectant mothers, but that’s only the start of what lawmakers have in store. If the legislation passes, the state will consider a child to exist even before conception.

Under Arizona’s H.B. 2036, the state would recognize the start of the unborn child’s life to be the first day of its mother’s last menstrual period. The legislation is being proposed so that lawmakers can outlaw abortions on fetuses past the age of 20-weeks, but the verbiage its authors use to construct a time cycle for the baby would mean that the start of the child's life could very well occur up to two weeks before the mother and father even ponder procreating.

On page eight of the proposed amendment to H.B. 2036, lawmakers lay out the “gestational age” of the child to be “calculated from the first day of the last menstrual period of the pregnant woman,” and from there, outlaws abortion “if the probable gestational age of [the] unborn child has been determined to be at least twenty weeks.”

The architects of the amendment say that prohibiting abortion after 20 weeks — except in cases of medical emergency — is necessary for the safety of both mother and child. By designating a life to begin weeks before even possible, however, some critics are condemning Arizona lawmakers for looking for a way to involve itself in abortion matters before it can even become an issue.

“Certainly, they are trying move the gestational cutoff from what had been over the last two years a 20-week gestational cutoff to an 18-week gestational cutoff,” Guttmacher Institute’s State Issues Manager Elizabeth Nash tells Raw Story. “At the same time, they are trying to say, ‘Oh, this is a 20-week abortion ban.’ And they get away with that with the definition of gestational age that’s in the bill.”

“Considering that it’s anti-choice nuts we’re talking about, it’s safe to assume that they’d simply prefer a situation where all women of reproductive age are considered to be pregnant, on the grounds that they could be two weeks from now,” RH Reality Check’s Amanda Marcotte adds in a recently-penned editorial. “Better safe than sorry, especially if that mentality means you get to exert maximum control over the bodies of women of reproductive age.”

In extending her support for the legislation, however, sponsor Nancy Barto, a Republican senator representing the Phoenix, Arizona area says that fetuses are able to feel pain after the 20-week mark. Also favoring the proposal, Senator Steve Smith (R-Maricopa) adds that lawmakers also need to consider “the 50 million-plus children who have been killed” since the US Supreme Court legalized abortion in Roe v Wade.

"I would like to listen to the 50 million-plus children that have been aborted and killed since Roe v. Wade,'' the senator says."I would like to listen to what they think of this bill.''

Mother Jones adds in their own reporting, however, that while the law could be explained as an effort to deter complications that come from late-term abortions, opening up the window for the gestational age to begin before conception can hurt the parents in the long run. Essentially the act would outlaw abortion after 18 weeks, not 20 as the legislation claims, which could keep some concerned parents from making a decision about pregnancy before some medical procedures that gauge the health of the child are able to be determined. While some tests can be conducted soon after conception to catch potential life-threatening conditions and other impairments, outlawing abortions after the eighteenth week could keep parents from opting for abortion after other tests can be carried out (before the 20-week mark).

H.B. 2036 passed in the Arizona Senator by 20-to-10 and will soon go before the state’s House. To Raw Story, Elizabeth Nash says she believes the bill has a “very good chances of passage.”

Oh my goodness people can be amazingly foolish. I have some advice for you: If you're going to write about the ridiculousness of a law relating to pregnancy you should maybe learn some basic sex ed. I don't really have an opinion on the rest of this law because I haven't read enough about it yet, but I am really tired of seeing this dumbass claim everywhere. Has no one but me had children in the last ten years? Human gestation takes an average of 38 weeks. Pregnancy is measured in forty weeks. They always measure pregnancy from the last menstruation, not the date of conception. If you ever have a baby, your OBGYN will be telling you you're ten weeks along when you only concieved eight weeks ago. This is just how they do things.

I know that was a little ranty, but it's been driving me nuts every time I see this thread title. If you're going to call someone out for being stupid, you'd better at least do the bare God damn minimum of research.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular

I can guarantee you there are a lot of retired rich old fucks in Arizona. I worked for a satellite internet company and probably half the "waah why is my service turned off" calls I got were from snowbird fuckheads and they were overwhelmingly from accounts in Arizona and Florida.

It's being retired and old; you're scared that everything is going to kill you, take your medicare, or take your possessions, so any sort of family valuesTM and patriotic lawTM and so forth just get a free pass. I hope I don't get stupid(er) and more ignorant as I get old.

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)