As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTORCITY [NSF56K] Premiers on Disney XD April 30th

AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was RightGates of SteelRegistered User regular
edited April 2012 in Social Entropy++
lSV5P.jpg
what happens when Chris Prynoski of Titmouse (animation studio for Avatar: The Last Airbender, Metalocalypse, and Afro Samurai), creator of Downtown, makes another collaboration with George Kristic, co-creator of Downtown and one of the creators of Megas XLR?

tumblr_m2lc6pFfjE1r00g3do1_500.gif
Aw yeah.
Evil billionaire Abraham Kane (Mark Hamill) rules Detroit Deluxe, a once-struggling auto-town that he has turned into his own personal kingdom. Banning freedoms such as automobile transportation, Kane faces one obstacle: a group of hot-rod rebels who call themselves The Burners. Led by Mike Chilton (Reid Scott), The Burners work to stop Kane from conquering Detroit’s last oasis of freedom -- a subterranean refuge dubbed Motorcity.

The animation is slick, the writing is decent, and the setting is pretty awesome. Tons of science fiction craziness, utopian vs dystopian themes, cool vehicles, fun characters, I really enjoyed what I've seen of this show.

The first episode is currently available for free on iTunes. http://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/battle-for-motorcity/id517052911?i=517731186&ign-mpt=uo=4

I really recommend checking it out. (unless you're not in the US which means you can't access it. :( )

An awesome interview with Pryonski can be found here: http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2012/04/disney-motorcity/

Antimatter on

• Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    Yes yes this is what I want.

I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    We should also talk about Detroit rock city.

One of the great movies when a lot of you were five.

• Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    uggggh cant i get this somewhere that isn't itunes

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    okay what the hell

where did Harrier's post go

• Options
    you are losing it anti

you are
    crazy

• Options
    there is a missing post affecting the counter and the latest post indicator

ANYWAY

this show owns and people who liked Megas XLR and/or just are fans of cars and science fiction should check it out

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    the animation sort of looks like whoever did Gorillaz or Tank Girl

or am I way off?

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Well as this takes place in Detroit and I am good daughter I guess I am obliged to check it out.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Joolander wrote: »
    the animation sort of looks like whoever did Gorillaz or Tank Girl

or am I way off?
    it isn't by Jamie Hewlett, but I totally thought the main character looked like Murdoc!

Well as this takes place in Detroit and I am good daughter I guess I am obliged to check it out.

yesss

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    The download is taking forever! My '97 Saturn went faster than this!

(Going to make car jokes in this thread the rest of the time I wait, okay)

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    well dang, I'm gonna have to check this out if I remember to.

Anti, make sure you remind me to check this out if I forget. I'll have to watch that first free ep one of these nights.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    The animation in that gif kinda reminds me of TF:A a bit.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    Checkn' this out most def

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    well i watched the itunes ep and now i'm sad i don't get disney xd

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    Welp, error code while downloading. I shall try later.

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    I'm digging all these cool shows giving episodes out for free on itunes

• Options
    you sold me anti

watchin now

• Options
    RubberAC wrote: »
    you sold me anti

watchin now
    yesssssssss

thread: successful

also @mensch-o-matic check this thread out

• Options
    oh man i am jumping through so many hoops just to download this bloody episode it had best be good

• Options
    OH WOOPS TOO BAD I'M CANADIAN

• Options
    RubberAC wrote: »
    OH WOOPS TOO BAD I'M CANADIAN

D:

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Disney XD?

Disney: Laughing with Eyes shut?

Goddamn it people, just one channel!

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I don't know about your TASTES in cartoons, Anti. Do I really want to take a risk and spend-

free?

oh

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I'll check it out in the morning.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    This show is pretty incomprehensible

Even animation wise it can be a garble of flashing nonsense

But fuck it is pretty

• Options
    Incomprehensible?

The premise is almost laughably basic, but the show is too dark visually. Can't see most of the time.

I'm just glad that Captain K'nuckles has found new work in Detroit.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    “It’s the kind of stuff I dig, and we really just wanted to make it fun,” Prynoski said. “It’s an action show, but it’s not a serious action show. But it’s also not as much of a parody, like Megas was."

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I really dig the car designs and I also like how the evil Orwellian overlord presides over a pearly-white utopia straight out of an Apple commercial while the protagonists are living in the underground sewer slum from Demolition Man.

Originally I thought the main character's car was based a little off the Dodge Daytona but with the headlights I suppose it's got more than its fair share of Plymouth Superbird in it as well. Here's a photo for reference.
    vjc9L.jpg

This is kinda like a north american version of Redline in a way.

• Options
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Incomprehensible?

The premise is almost laughably basic, but the show is too dark visually. Can't see most of the time.

I'm just glad that Captain K'nuckles has found new work in Detroit.

I mean if you're expecting any sort of actual narrative structure, what is in this first episode is pretty much nonsense. Like they showed the climax of a two hour action movie. It is still easy to follow because it's functioning on so many cliches, but in terms of how it tells its story I'd say incomprehensible is a decent descriptor.

And dammit I knew I had heard that voice before

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I just find it odd how upfront the villain is about being evil. Normally they try to create the false impression of being the good guy, but here he invited every citizen in his dystopia to watch capture his enemy and send a giant robot army to utterly destroy the rebellion.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    oh yeah the narrative structure was ridiculous

but i thought it was fun

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    I just find it odd how upfront the villain is about being evil. Normally they try to create the false impression of being the good guy, but here he invited every citizen in his dystopia to watch capture his enemy and send a giant robot army to utterly destroy the rebellion.

when i'm an evil dictator i'm doin it like this

• Options
    I get the feeling that this was supposed to have a three-part introduction, but then the powers-that-be said "No, you got 22 minutes."

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    For being a Disney XD original, this is pretty fucking solid. I hope it makes it to iTunes for future episodes.

• Options
    I enjoyed the first episode! Plus it is at my ideal runtime, since after 20 minutes, much like my students, I inevitably lose interest and wander off to destroy something.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Also, that animation.
    Basically Redline on a TV format.

• Options
    ThePrimmThePrimm Registered User regular
    I have friends that work on this gotta check it out

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    coincidentally, I also have a friend that works on this show

glad to see they finally finished the first season

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options

No, in most kids' cartoons, evil guys say that they're evil.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Pretty sure that the reason he's so upfront is because he wants to make motorcity "better" and that chilton and co have been painted as public enemies