As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Gesundheit; Sneeze of Mystery

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Wrath of Heroes is open beta now.

I had fun with it when I got in way back when, I'm sure it's even better now.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    WAR was everything I wanted in an MMO, which helped me realize I'm done with MMOs. I tried a bit of Wrath of Heroes, and it really is some of the best parts of WAR. Pretty solid. Doesn't have much to do with Warhammer at this point, however.

snm_sig.jpg
  • zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    Agreed. Wrath of Heroes is a fun little skirmish PVP game, but it only has the barest traces of Warhammeriness left in it at this point.

I'd love to see Warhammer come out with a turn-based skirmish game with armies and a persistent map and all that junk, and then let me play it on my iPad while I'm pooping. That'd pretty much be the best thing ever.

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Scenarios were the things I was least interested in when I played WAR. That's just scenarios.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    edited April 2012
    I would give up bodily organs for a gritty WFRP brawler/investigation game. And the rest for a Necromunda persistent world FPS/MMO.

GW settings are too big to try to shovel all the crazy, iconic elements. What we need are slices of the settings that map well to game mechanics.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Morskittar wrote: »
    GW settings are too big to try to shovel all the crazy, iconic elements. What we need are slices of the settings that map well to game mechanics.

That's why I also didn't like the Ultramarines movie. It tried too hard to be 40k, instead of just be a story told in the universe. I'd even have been happier if they didn't try to explain everything at the start - it's not needed. Look at Alien. Were we told everything about that universe? Predator? Good movies don't spend the first 10 minutes badly summarising the back story.

Yes!

GW really needs its Avi Arad. Merrett should go.

snm_sig.jpg
  • Khade97Khade97 PE10, UKRegistered User regular
    I have purchased a non-GW model for my Beastlord (Link) and I am in two minds with equipment to give him.

My initial plan for the model is to swap the staff out for a second axe and then equip him with Light Armour, The Steel Claws, Talisman of Preservation, Potion of Speed, and Gnarled Hide.

My dilema comes two fold; How important are magic weapons (primerally vs Skaven) - could he get by with just a normal Additional Hand Weapon and save 30 pts?

Secondly, armour - On one hand he looks (IMHO) to be in "light" armour, and with his current set up I get a 4+/4+ save. However for only a couple points more I could get Heavy Armour and bump to a 3+/4+. Should I stick to what feels "right" for the model (light), or what would be better on the battlefield (heavy).

• FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    First Question: Magic attacks against Skaven aren't really necessary, since they don't have many Ethereal things(which are only hurt by magical attacks). I'd really only go out of my way to have magic attacks if I was playing against VC. Flaming attacks should be something to think about if you play a lot of Skaven.

Second Question: That's really up to you, and whether or not you think everything should be based on what the model looks like it has.

• mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    I think he means is a mundane weapon worth the savings. The answer really depends on what you plan on using him for. If your Beastlord is going to be a character killer, there's a ton of cool weapons that will make him an ace with that (and other magical items). If he's going to be cleaving through rank and file guys, then there's other weapons for that although a mundane one will do if you're tight on points.

As mentioned, whether to go for battlefield effectiveness vs. fluffiness is up to you. I'd just throw heavy armor and say he's thick skinned in addition to his armor ;)

Why would flaming attacks be something to aim for? Do Skaven have a weakness to them that I have missed?

Flaming attacks are really good against flammable things (like Treemen and Vampires) and things that Regenerate (like Trolls or the Skaven's Hellpit Abomination).

HPA can be really gross for Skaven, so if you know you're going to face one it's not a bad idea to have some flaming attacks on hand.

• mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    Khade97 wrote: »
    I have purchased a non-GW model for my Beastlord (Link) and I am in two minds with equipment to give him.

My initial plan for the model is to swap the staff out for a second axe and then equip him with Light Armour, The Steel Claws, Talisman of Preservation, Potion of Speed, and Gnarled Hide.

My dilema comes two fold; How important are magic weapons (primerally vs Skaven) - could he get by with just a normal Additional Hand Weapon and save 30 pts?

Secondly, armour - On one hand he looks (IMHO) to be in "light" armour, and with his current set up I get a 4+/4+ save. However for only a couple points more I could get Heavy Armour and bump to a 3+/4+. Should I stick to what feels "right" for the model (light), or what would be better on the battlefield (heavy).

There is a pretty standard netlist option for Beastlords that I use that is pretty amazing and works well to keep your army together. I guess I shouldn't classify it as 'netlist' - it helps get rid of some of the dumb things they chose to do with the latest Beastman army book.

Really it boils down to giving him a Crown of Command, some kind of ward save and armor so that he doesn't die. You need him to stay alive for the LD he provides. I'd just go with a hand weapon and shield personally.

E26cO.jpg
    Yea, if you're looking for a fighty lord I'd just go with a Doombull and get it over with

Petrikov wrote: »
    So, I don't play WFB as often as 40k nor do I put as much money into it, but I was just given about 24 Khorne Chaos Knights. I know maybe three or four people in my area who play Fantasy, and none of them play Northmen. What are they like in comparison to Vampire Counts, cuz' that's what I normally play.

EDIT: Should probably add I play Von Carstein.
    Are you asking what Chaos is like in comparison to VC as an army?

• PetrikovPetrikov Registered User regular
    So, I don't play WFB as often as 40k nor do I put as much money into it, but I was just given about 24 Khorne Chaos Knights. I know maybe three or four people in my area who play Fantasy, and none of them play Northmen. What are they like in comparison to Vampire Counts, cuz' that's what I normally play.

EDIT: Should probably add I play Von Carstein.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    mr_mich wrote: »
    Flaming attacks are really good against flammable things (like Treemen and Vampires) and things that Regenerate (like Trolls or the Skaven's Hellpit Abomination).

HPA can be really gross for Skaven, so if you know you're going to face one it's not a bad idea to have some flaming attacks on hand.

They're also pretty good against cavalry (which Skaven don't have) and war beasts (which I think they might have) due to causing fear in such creatures.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Khade97 wrote: »

in terms of modeling, GW themselves are totally inconsistant as to what on a model constitutes light / heavy / full plate armor.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited April 2012
    mr_mich on
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    BTP are great.

OK Guys tear my list apart. I will be facing Skaven - not sure on the specifics but I know it will include the IoB bits, 2 additional Rat Ogres, and a Storm Vermin box.

The Beastherd, 999 Pts
    Beastlord (234)
    General, Heavy Armour, Additional Hand Weapon, Ramhorn Helmet, Talisman of Preservation, Potion of Speed, Uncanny Senses

Wargor (139)
    BSB, Heavy Armour, War Banner

Gor Herd (265)
    30 Gor, Full Command, Additional Hand Weapon

Ungor Herd (115)
    20 Ungor, Full Command, HW & Shield

Bestigor Herd (246)
    18 Bestigor, Full Command

I am pretty sure my opponent will end up going for lots of units that are only 20 strong. I am hoping to be able to get better positioning, keep my units pretty tight, and pick fights one by one rather than spreading out. Gor / Bestogor would charge in, with the Ungor holding back to be a counter charge (or even a suicide unit if needed).

• zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    I'm going to question your choice of general and BSB a bit. Getting a lord level character as well as a BSB at 1000 points seems excessive. Also, no bray shaman means no magic. I know beasts have low LD, so you may need the BSB even in a low points game. But I really don't think you need a tooled up lord at that level.

edited April 2012
    zenpotato wrote: »
    I'm going to question your choice of general and BSB a bit. Getting a lord level character as well as a BSB at 1000 points seems excessive. Also, no bray shaman means no magic. I know beasts have low LD, so you may need the BSB even in a low points game. But I really don't think you need a tooled up lord at that level.

I could drop the Lord and have a Wargor General at 143 pts, remove the magic banner from the Wargor BSB to take him down to 114 pts, and then squeeze in a Lvl 2 Bray Shaman with Lore of Beasts and the Shadowhide for 115 pts?
    Scratch that... that gives me 35% Heros

Khade97 on
    One trick for small games, and I don't know how well it works with Beastmen, is to just sprinkle in cheap characters for their high LD. That can counteract the lack of a BSB at this points level, since you've got so few units.

I agree. At low points the wargor is the better choice, go with one of them and perhaps the great bray. Both are the same leadership so you can use them for ld buffers.

Also 20 ungors will not really accomplish much before they die and run away. Those points could be spent for a lvl 2 wizard, or perhaps some razorgors.

• DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    or break them up into 2 units of 10 and try to screen your blocks

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

Normally that too, but he's playing against IoB, which means a warpfire thrower, which will make the screens panic his gors/bestigors, and a poison wind mortar, which just goes over them.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I am so glad I got a garden of Morr to use as a unit filler for my new Von Carstein army

saves me on two boxes of Skeletons and a Box of Grave Guard, which for me would have cost about 45 quid.

edited April 2012
    mr_mich wrote: »
    One trick for small games, and I don't know how well it works with Beastmen, is to just sprinkle in cheap characters for their high LD. That can counteract the lack of a BSB at this points level, since you've got so few units.

OK, reworked the list a bit. Am still including the Beastlord but with much less equipment, the BSB is dropped to a normal Wargor, and finally a Bray-Shaman added in;

The Beastherd #2
    Beastlord (204)
    General, Heavy Armour, Additional Hand Weapon, Talisman of Preservation

Wargor (93)
    Heavy Armour, Additional Hand Weapon

Bray-Shaman (75)
    Lvl 1 Wizard, Hand Weapon

Gor Herd (265) (Beastlord goes here)
    30 Gor, Full Command, Additional Hand Weapon

Ungor Herd (115)
    20 Ungor, Full Command, HW & Shield

Bestigor Herd (246) (Wargor goes here)
    18 Bestigor, Full Command

The Shaman is weak... but if nothing else he can hide and help with dispelling.

Khade97 on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Looking at the recent spate of 'omg huge' kits GW are giving 8th edition books, I wonder if they'd be able to entice me to Lizardmen. My main complaints with the range are their Cold Ones look terrible and there aren't enough dinosaurs in the range. Someone mentioned on Dakka, which would probably make me start Lizardmen, Carnosaur cavalry units, which would actually make sense since GW are giving everyone monstrous cavalry these days.

Carnosaur cavalry and some other big dinosaur dual kit, and better Cold One models like the Dark Elf models (I realize they're meant to be different animals, just named similarly, but the Lizardmen Cold Ones look retarded) would basically make the Lizardmen range perfect.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Not that different; the ones the elves ride have just been bred to better match elf aesthetics. Though the modls of the Lizardmen version are indeed terrible and coul definitely do with the same kind of reworking as the elf bred ones, just not necessarily in the same 'sleek' style.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    What I think is a bit of a shame, is the mixture of aesthetics in the Skaven range. Personally I'm a fan of the more recent stuff, i.e. the Clanrats and Stormvermin kits, while the older stuff, such as the Nightrunners / Plague Priests / Plague Bearers / old weapon teams with the massive hands is a bit jarring.

I was trying to figure out how BTP made their censor bearers linked in that video; looks like the Stormvermin bodies with the halberds sniped at the end to have chains and censors on the end (I don't know where that bit came from); the heads I want to say much be from the Plague Priest kits, although they do seem slimmer.

PSN Fleety2009
    edited April 2012
    All of the ranges have that. Basically, the older models, particularly the plastic kits, from around 6th edition, look pretty bad when compared to the newer kits. Look at the Vampire Counts range - the Zombies are from 6th edition, and were one of Fantasys first plastic regiments. They're terrible. Out of proportion, almost zero poseability due to flat connection surfaces, and just in general bad sculpts - compared to plastics from 8th edition, anyway.

Then look at the Skeletons, Ghouls and Grave Guard. They're fantastically proportioned. The Skeletons and Grave Guard are probably the best proportioned skeleton models on the market, and actually look like they could fit inside a human sized Fantasy model as its skeleton. They have massive poseability for rank and file models, and are just in general awesome sculpts. The Ghouls lack the poseability due to how the arms connect, but they're still really good models.

The issue comes from GW not updating the older plastic kits, which I understand. It's not cheap. But you mention it being jarring with different types of Skaven, how about different models of the same type? The Corpse Cart has fantastic zombies. And when sitting next to the older zombie models, that's jarring.

-Loki- on
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Sorry, I'm not saying that other ranges don't have similar problems. I was just talking about Skaven because they're my favorite.

It's a bit of a shame that GW didn't go back to revisit the Nightrunners and Plague Priest kits not only to help those 2 units match the range, but the latter could have been useful in adding some extra bits in the kit to make Plague Censor Bearers (obviously the Nightrunners could have easily doubled up to make Gutter Runners and Assassins). The metal models just seem a bit rubbish in terms of looks and cost.

Sidenote, I have made / painted a Skaven bloodbowl team out of the Stormvermin kit for the Linerats / Blitzers / Thrower while I used the Nightrunners kit for the Gutter Runners. It isn't quite so bad, because the nightrunner skaven help make them look like the strength 2 runts that they are. Obviously I'm upset there isn't a more recent ninja rat kit and really should just suck it up

PSN Fleety2009
    So for you Beastmen players, Maelstroms Banelords line is about to get an awesome BSB model for you.

bnl-031-aanchuth-m-u-w-p-01.jpg

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Could be a shaman too.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    That too. Between this and the Avatars of War model, I feel it plugs the to weak links I had with beastmen - namely, not being impressed with their hero choices.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    No phallus or anus. No sale.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • bringatoweltoobringatoweltoo Registered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    It's a bit of a shame that GW didn't go back to revisit the Nightrunners and Plague Priest kits

If you don't have the new Screaming Bell (or you do and you still have the leftover bits from it), you can take the Plague Priest from the Plague Engine sprues and stick him on a base. Just make sure to point his staff carefully if you ever want him to rank up well in a block of dudemans.

edited April 2012
    The thing with Plague Monks and Nightrunners is they already have a plastic kit. While they might be a bit old, GW seems reluctant to redo anything with a plastic kit already and focus on just getting the rest of an armies regiments out in plastic, preferably making them dual kits if possible. I wouldn't bet on another Plague Monk or Nightrunner regiment.

It's worth noting that Nightrunners are in the exact same situation as Empire Free Company. They're the Skaven and human warbands from Mordheim, respectively. If they haven't gotten a new box for this long - and Empire Free Company didn't get a new box with their 8th edition box - GW probably just don't want to do a real box for these regiments.

-Loki- on
This discussion has been closed.