As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[World of Tanks] Our track is broken! Get out and push!

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I don't see it too often, but if I ever got my hands on a T-50-2, I have to imagine I'd equip armor spall and every so often treat myself to a good, old-fashion ramming at the side of a large artillery piece.

It works terribly for the kinds of SPGs that you run up against. Some of those tier 7/8 SPGs weigh more than heavies of the same tier, so I mean, when I avoid ramming them in a 40 tonne Lorraine, think about that with your 15 tonne T-50-2. <_<

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Never ram a GW-E, not in anything. We were messing around in a training room last week and an IS-7 was losing in a ram battle to one.

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    I don't see it too often, but if I ever got my hands on a T-50-2, I have to imagine I'd equip armor spall and every so often treat myself to a good, old-fashion ramming at the side of a large artillery piece.

No offense, but this is the dumbest idea for the 50-2 ever. First that spall liner weight is gonna kill your acceleration and maneuverability, which is the only thing the 50-2 has going for it. Second, with the elevated matchmaking T5 lights get, the only arty you're going to be able to ram is likely going to weigh anywhere from 3-6 times as much as you, so unless you're doing it for the lulz to suicide on the side of a Type E, it doesn't really work.

I see so many 50-2 drivers who just throw their tanks away for no gain, but the funny thing is, given non-city maps, a decently driven 50-2 will almost always mean a win for their team.

• OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    I see so many t 50/ t 50-2 driver rush toward the enemy, run right in the middle of them and die in the first 30-40 seconds of the game then yell at the "fail' arty that didnt kill everything in the 10 sec it was actually spotted, before the arty could have even aimed.

The good ones do sweeps near the enemy to stay alive and keep things spotted so arty can hit them.

• SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Nah man, it gets the ZiS-4. You can tear through most artillery in ten or fifteen seconds. No need to cripple or kill yourself by ramming them!

Edit: Durr, this was in response to talking about ramming arty in the T-50-2. Didn't notice that there was another page!

Supraluminal on
  • Blinks77Blinks77 Registered User regular
    There's a couple of maps where suiciding can be a reasonably good idea. Depends on where you start and what your facing though. Generally i find when i'm driving mine the match kind of has phases. Dash forward to start and find the incoming front line. Gives those coming up behind you more warning of what they'll be facing along with letting the arty start to pick targets. Then, generally, i'll pull back, maybe try and scout another flank or another area, maybe hunt down suicide scouters if someone is trying it. Just to make sure they die.

Then it's basically a judgement call. Once the meds and heavies are fully engaged see if you can't sprint through some overgrown area to locate their arty/back row. If that looks like it's going to get you killed just keep on scouting tanks for people until a hole opens up.

A duck! wrote: »
    Never ram a GW-E, not in anything. We were messing around in a training room last week and an IS-7 was losing in a ram battle to one.

The Typ E weighs 87 mother-loving tons. Which just seems kind of stupid, frankly; surely they could have found something better to do with 20 or 25 of those tons of steel.

The Typ E weighs 87 mother-loving tons. Which just seems kind of stupid, frankly; surely they could have found something better to do with 20 or 25 of those tons of steel.

Perhaps it was always intended that the GW-E would be a battering ram. <_<
    Actually though, it's less to me about how they could have used it better, and more about "what the fuck is all of it doing?" You'd think they could have another 5cm of steel all around that thing, making it impenetrable by things like the T-50-2. =P

Perhaps it was always intended that the GW-E would be a battering ram. <_<
    Actually though, it's less to me about how they could have used it better, and more about "what the fuck is all of it doing?" You'd think they could have another 5cm of steel all around that thing, making it impenetrable by things like the T-50-2. =P

Yeah, that was kind of what I was getting at - the other tier 8 arty pieces weigh less than 60 tons, so what makes the GW-E 35% heavier? Maybe it's all in the skirt armor...? It's not very thick, but then again the tracks on that thing are as long as a football field.

• FarleymanFarleyman Registered User regular
    It's 25 tons of concrete block, obviously. Helps keep it from moving around when firing, like in a washing machine.

My guess, anyway.

Found out how effective holding the hill at the top at flag I on Arctic Region can be the other day. Myself in a Type-59, a Lorraine, an M6 (I think) and a KV-3 successfully held against their IS-3, M6, IS, T-50 (wut?), Tiger and a couple of mediums I didn't really see, simply by holding the top of the hill and slowly falling back. This was from a random battle as well! Pubs actually managed to work together!

steam_sig.png
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Nothing is more gratifying than having someone kill himself ramming you.

Arty firing at you point blank and killing themselves with splash damage while you survive is pretty good too

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Simpsonia wrote: »

No offense, but this is the dumbest idea for the 50-2 ever. First that spall liner weight is gonna kill your acceleration and maneuverability, which is the only thing the 50-2 has going for it. Second, with the elevated matchmaking T5 lights get, the only arty you're going to be able to ram is likely going to weigh anywhere from 3-6 times as much as you, so unless you're doing it for the lulz to suicide on the side of a Type E, it doesn't really work.

I see so many 50-2 drivers who just throw their tanks away for no gain, but the funny thing is, given non-city maps, a decently driven 50-2 will almost always mean a win for their team.

I had no idea. Never driven a T-50-2, so I was speculating. Good to know, though I don't expect to ever have a T-50-2. I had no idea the spall liner weight would cripple it.

Synthesis on
    Simpsonia wrote: »

I had no idea. Never driven a T-50-2, so I was speculating. Good to know, though I don't expect to ever have a T-50-2. I had no idea the spall liner weight would cripple it.

Simp is exaggerating. It wouldn't cripple it, but technically it would slow it down, yes. All equipment does that though, so I mean, really ... you could make arguments that you should only have optics and maybe vents, and leave the 3rd slot open for weight ...
    <_< But I don't think anybody would listen to those arguments.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Ogotai wrote: »
    I see so many t 50/ t 50-2 driver rush toward the enemy, run right in the middle of them and die in the first 30-40 seconds of the game then yell at the "fail' arty that didnt kill everything in the 10 sec it was actually spotted, before the arty could have even aimed.

The good ones do sweeps near the enemy to stay alive and keep things spotted so arty can hit them.

This shit pisses me off so fucking bad. I HATE seeing scout tanks doing this crap and then whine that they're not useful if they don't. Scrubby idiots. Meanwhile I'm skirting the edge of the battlefield, keeping people spotted while using the terrain to keep myself safe and waiting patiently for a hole to open up so I can dive in and shred their artillery. It's not like any of that is particularly hard to do either. It doesn't take a tactical genius to just pay attention to red blips showing up in front of you or on your minimap and then..yanno...steer awayish from them. Once the battlegroups meet and shit starts blowing up, THEN you can get ballsy and start getting behind them to poke holes in their fuel tanks and what not if you're feeling up to it.

The ramming thing just sounds like a really fun thing to do once in a while when you just need to blow some steam off.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    edited April 2012
    Simp is exaggerating. It wouldn't cripple it, but technically it would slow it down, yes. All equipment does that though, so I mean, really ... you could make arguments that you should only have optics and maybe vents, and leave the 3rd slot open for weight ...
    <_< But I don't think anybody would listen to those arguments.

I was exaggerating a bit, but the spall liners are very heavy, a kiloton if I remember correctly, which is pretty damn heavy considering the overall weight of the 50-2 is only like 14 tons. I personally like to run optics, vents, and cyclone filter, the latter so that I can run the removed governor longer without having to worry about blowing my engine.

Simpsonia on
    Only the large liner is 1 ton, the medium is .5 and the small is .25. There are still better choices for the 50-2 for general operation. I think the only vehicles I'd ram-enable would be the E50 and 2801, since they're heavy for what they do.

I'd have love to have had the extra skills in the Abbey challenge. A skilled-up 2801 ramming a 50-2? OH MY.

• Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    Although I have not played german spgs much, I recommend the soviet spgs over the german ones. The first 2 of the soviet tree are especially fun.

Bit late on the reply here, but the German arty, at least those I have experience in (wespe, grille and hummel) all have a lower firing arc than the soviet artillery. This translates as being better able to hit sides, and allows you to make long sweeps without having to re-aim. It has its disadvantages, you aren't able to lob shots over obstructions, but you can shoot more effectively at exposed vulnerabilities in the backs of turrets and tanks.

I have even managed shots through the holes in some buildings and into the juicy "I am invincible!" tanks beyond.

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Ugh. I forgot how jarring it is to go up a tier.

Even with most of the upgrades unlocked, the Patton feels like a Pershing but with worse matchmaking and the inability to punch at its own weight.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    Ugh. I forgot how jarring it is to go up a tier.

Even with most of the upgrades unlocked, the Patton feels like a Pershing but with worse matchmaking and the inability to punch at its own weight.

That's too bad. Of all the tier 9 mediums, the Patton is the one I most dislike engaging solo in my own mediums. It's really a very capable medium, much the same way the Pershing is.

edited April 2012
    I dunno, the Patton is good, but the combination of low accuracy and penetration presents some problems. I mean, admittedly it only has literally one or two less pen than the other mediums, but they have better accuracy to make up for it. If I engage a Patton at like 150 to 250 meters out in my E50 I am almost always going to win. Even close range I do well because I can generally pin them and keep my front to them, which they seem to have issues with on flat terrain.

A duck! on
    I guess map will always be a factor, but that still kind of sounds like bad engagement terms to me. The Patton has pretty free use of gun depression (although technically I can't speak for the E-50, so maybe it does too), which makes it a real hassle for when I'm running my T-54 or Bat.Chat. And in medium battles, the E-50 is the only one that can really even bounce shots to begin with, so I'd rarely be worried about penetration. *shrug* Different styles, I guess?

I guess map will always be a factor, but that still kind of sounds like bad engagement terms to me. The Patton has pretty free use of gun depression (although technically I can't speak for the E-50, so maybe it does too), which makes it a real hassle for when I'm running my T-54 or Bat.Chat. And in medium battles, the E-50 is the only one that can really even bounce shots to begin with, so I'd rarely be worried about penetration. *shrug* Different styles, I guess?

Talking about bouncing shots and not mentioning the T-54? That's a paddlin'.

edited April 2012
    Well, my T-54 tends to very rarely bounce shots, so I don't factor it in. In fact, the last weekend I bounced T-50-2s with my tier 8/9 guns as many times as my T-54 bounced shells from other tier 8/9/10 guns. <_<
    But on the topic of the Patton, it can totally aim down enough to just go for your belly, turret be damned.

ArcticLancer on
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    true story. I bounced a KV's body in my hummel on my last round with it before I got my GW Panther.

Also I had a hilarious round last night in my T49 that started with:

friendly hummel, the better of two SPGs on our team: sorry guys but I have to go

then I proceeded with doing absolutely nothing in the match, maybe 100 - 300 damage over 2 or 3 vehicles, took about half damage from a long-range tiger shot, bounced a shot from a KV. Then got called a hacker and told I'd be banned immediately for hacking so bad. This by a guy who wasn't any one of the tanks I had an influence on in the match. Also our whole team was hacking apparently.

I guess we really rustled that guy's jimmies.

edit: also, I'm loving my GWP. It may be a fatty compared to the hummel but it's gun seems to have more than twice the sweep of the hummel so I don't end up having to reposition over and over and over when following enemy tanks movements.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
    From the experience with my Patton, I cant fight other tier 9 mediums 1v1 at close range. All they have to do is bounce one of my shots and then they have the advantage, he will be almost dead when he kills me, but I will die first as I am not going to bounce anything at all. BatChats are a special case and largely depends on who misses a shot or can use the terrain better. Which is why I really dont like to get in close range with the Patton. It does way better hitting from medium distances (so the accuracy of the gun dosent completly screw you over) and using cover/your low profile/gun depression to minimize you chance of getting hit, and run the hell away if things get too hot. Best if you can do it from a flank or somewhere they dont expect. This does tend to make me target #1 for arty, even over things like a maus or e75 in the open for some reason, and one near miss from a tier 8 arty= half hp gone along with some crew/subsystems.

Oddly enough, this is how I play my Hellcat, which is way better at it. If only because it gets ignored alot while a patton never does ever.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Well, my T-54 tends to very rarely bounce shots, so I don't factor it in. In fact, the last weekend I bounced T-50-2s with my tier 8/9 guns as many times as my T-54 bounced shells from other tier 8/9/10 guns. <_<
    But on the topic of the Patton, it can totally aim down enough to just go for your belly, turret be damned.

I don't bounce a lot off my front of my T-54. I'm going to assume the sides aren't better in that regard. The primary saving grace from a vulnerability standpoint is that it's small, and that it's fast.

Somehow I find I actually have more trouble penetrating the front of the E-50 than the T-54 when driving my own T-54. Not sure what the deal is there, since they're both 120mm and I think the same slope (T-54 may even be slightly better?).

Not to say that you can't score some pretty bullshit bounces in a T-54 with some judicious breakdancing. Show your front flat-on for a second to lure someone into thinking they have a shot, then pull back and to the side and laugh as an S-70 round skims off your now-angled glacis.

Awww yeah, AM Tourney champion all up ins. We won the most anti-climactic final in the history of games.

• lostprophetlostprophet Registered User regular
    It was climactic when I disconnected!!!!!!!!!!!! lulz

Steam: macg1991
    wotuserbar01.jpg: macg1991
    Check out the Penny Arcade World of Tanks thread to join us in some fun times.
    Awww yeah, AM Tourney champion all up ins. We won the most anti-climactic final in the history of games.

Did they not bring a full team or something?

• lostprophetlostprophet Registered User regular

It was just easy. Much easier than the two teams that preceded them. Also, PM me about your status for tonight. I'm freaking out man!

Steam: macg1991
    wotuserbar01.jpg: macg1991
    Check out the Penny Arcade World of Tanks thread to join us in some fun times.

It was just easy. Much easier than the two teams that preceded them. Also, PM me about your status for tonight. I'm freaking out man!

Oh, sorry. I'll be there!

Wooo, T2 Light Tank on sale starting tomorrow. Definitely going to pick up one of those little buggers.

• BastableBastable Registered User regular

They brought 3 t29s 1 M26 and a Gw panther, no scouts.

We would have won the first game I think but poor mac actually disco'ed when we were about to assault and clean up the forest.

Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

Bastable wrote: »

They brought 3 t29s 1 M26 and a Gw panther, no scouts.

We would have won the first game I think but poor mac actually disco'ed when we were about to assault and clean up the forest.

Huh. Yeah, arty with no scout is not the sign of a pro team. :-P

So SIMP is now the AM champion and has both teams in the PM finals. If only we had two teams in the AM finals as well. If only

Next month, all the teams in both tournaments will be run by SIMP so we finish in every place simultaneously.

• BastableBastable Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    And I shoot flammpanzer mac in the final seconds as I am the best spy

Bastable on
    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

So after playing some more, impressions of the revisions:

KV-1: A necessary change, and a decent tank. Tried it with the 85 and it has real problems with Tier 8s, though. Probably not going to keep this tank after the revision.
    KV-2: DERP is back, baby! Took 40% off an IS-8 in two shots, hit a Pershing for 600+ and was chipping a Maus for 200. I played about 5 battles and was averaging around 1400 exp, this thing is wonderful again.
    KV-4: Really good Tier 8 heavy. The gun kinda sucks because targeting weak points is impossible beyond like 150 meters, but the armor is really reliable. Facehugging is interesting because most tanks aren't actually tall enough to hit the top turret. It's the kind of heavy that, in the hands of a prudent player, will hang around to the end of the battle. Good angling makes it very effective against Tier 8 guns, and I've even had success against 270 pen stuff.
    ST-I: It's an American heavy. Hull is garbage, but sometimes bounces a shot or two, and the turret is strong when you're looking dead on at your target. From any other angle it's basically autopen. Haven't gotten to test it on bad terrain, but it's not that quick.
    IS-4: Kinda eh on it. In some ways I wish this remained at Tier 9 and a faster ST-I was at Tier 10. The gun is nice, it really is, and the increased speed is cool. I'm not sure this has much utility over an IS-7.
    IS-8: It's a faster IS-3 with a better gun, but the armor is questionable. This is probably best used as a mid-range tank or facehug (e.g.: 8 column in Himmelsdorf). Anything in between is going to either result in you being fairly useless or you being penetrated at will. For some reason it gets the new 122 and not the S-70.

This discussion has been closed.