As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CRYSIS 3] ~ OUT NOW~

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Iron Man, BOLO, the Stainless Steel Rat, Mass Effect 2, Half Life, Planescape: Torment, Halo, the System Shock and Bioshock serieses. The idea of a warrior's weapon taking over so that the line between warrior and weapon becomes blurred has a long history in fantasy/science fiction.

You're really reaching with some of those.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Indeed. I was going to list some of the Iron Man clones until I realized that Holy Cow, Marvel sure went to the "villain trapped inside a metal suit that is killing him while simultaneously keeping him alive" well a few too many times.

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    That'll happen with 50+ years of material.

That said, I think we might be talking about different things.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    People arguing over dumb shit on the internet? Well I'll be fucked, I haven't ever seen that before!

That said, I enjoyed the hell out of Crysis and never played the sequel. I might get around to it one of these days but I will say that I am definitely interested in this. I don't care how silly fighting advanced robots/aliens with a bow and arrows is, I also think it's awesome! Like someone mentioned earlier in the thread, it reminded me of Turok and that's a good thing.

JtgVX0H.png
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    Oh I don't mind the bow so much, I was just trying to joke about how maximum strength might help with its use.

• ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    Wouldn't that just break the bow? :P

I hope the minigun makes a return

t5qfc9.jpg
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    That'll happen with 50+ years of material.

That said, I think we might be talking about different things.

Notably after Extremis, Iron Man isn't reaching at all.

huntresssig.jpg
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Zzulu wrote: »

I hope that maximum speed turns the bow into an arrow launching minigun.

FTFY

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular

I hope the minigun makes a return

It could have a 200lb draw weight or something like that.

A compound that required maximum strength to actually draw would be absurdly powerful.

:)

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    well

200lb draw weight is at the upper end of estimates for british longbows

so crysis dude should be doing like 1 ton draw this dudes rippedz

obF2Wuw.png
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    So every part of Crysis 3 will be like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIi4Fe6jRHo

No explosive tips required.

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Complete with back arching right before the explosion.

• THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    I hope they expand on the suit stuff. If we're playing as Prophet during events set after Crysis 2, then that means Alcatraz and Prophet completely merged at the end of Crysis 2 and now they're basically not even human anymore. They're 2 people physically and mentally merged with an intelligent cyber-armor. The moment in Crysis 2 where they made it clear that you're essentially dead and that the only thing keeping you going is the suit was a really neat moment of Sci-fi in the games

If only we hadn't seen it about 93 times before in a wide variety of science fiction stories.
    There's the Guyver, WH40K Phoenix Lords and.....?

OH MY FUCK gimme a Guyver game in the same vein as Crysis and I'll be as happy as I can be until they make the next Legacy of Kain.

More on topic: Weird that they're calling your character "Prophet", but it's cool that they are going to try out many kinds of environments, even if the reason for it is contrived. Hell, a more insane sci-fi turn might actually make an interesting story out of Crysis 2's threads. Seriously, as fun as the game was, it was $30 console game quality story.

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    well

I be merkin all dem hoez

JtgVX0H.png
  • ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    well

Thought they were only about 100lbs but then I don't know much about the old longbows.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Honestly, I've found the series' plot, such as it is, was far more tolerable when it wasn't trying to be clever: just a spec ops dude with a neat suit trying to sort out a catastrofuck because that's his job. When it turns out the suit is part of some crazy alien technology and there's an old dude trying to exploit it and the guy who was last using it is still possessing it somehow and the child of a more entertaining character is a double agent and the important scientist is just a jumped-up conspiracy theorist and

Eventually I just had to tune it out. There are some neat ideas in there, and some legitimately good lines of dialogue, but it really felt like two or three sci-fi concepts too many. I can also say I was not pleased when shooting ten exploding rounds from a mounted gun didn't make a tree so much as budge. Not even a particularly big tree, just this little twig of a thing between the gun and the door you're supposed to shoot. Just stood out all the more to me.

Not to say Crysis 2 was a bad game - still better than a lot of shooters I've played - just that I prefer the first game in pretty much every aspect. The sequel was at its best when you were just trying to manage the situation without delving too deeply into the 'why' of it.

Edit: Also, I soured on the sequel more when it stated/implied that Nomad and Psycho
    were dead. Don't remember the exact context, but either Prophet or Hargreave mention this at some point. Psycho in particular is the closest thing the series has to a complex character, which I admit isn't saying much.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Psycho
    Rumor is that Psycho will return in Crysis 3 so rejoice

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Lalabox wrote: »
    The game looks pretty cool, I could definately go for an overgrown New York environment. And both 1 and 2 were hella solid shooters. But still, 'Cell pursuing world-domination'?? 'Cell creating bio-domes'? The story looks off the rails. Hopefully it is good off the rails, not terrible off the rails.

Richard Morgan wrote the story for Crysis 2. He had to work with what he was given, but I like most of what he did with it. Some really good lines there.
    I hope they expand on the suit stuff. If we're playing as Prophet during events set after Crysis 2, then that means Alcatraz and Prophet completely merged at the end of Crysis 2 and now they're basically not even human anymore. They're 2 people physically and mentally merged with an intelligent cyber-armor. The moment in Crysis 2 where they made it clear that you're essentially dead and that the only thing keeping you going is the suit was a really neat moment of Sci-fi in the games

Visit yonder adlibris.se and get Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan right now. I command it.

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm bored of most linear shooters these days but I had an absolute blast with Crysis 2 and Rage, to name a couple that came out last year or the year prior to that. It's good that this one is going more sandboxy, though for some reason I doubt that if it's going on consoles. Can't see the 360 handling the amount of landspace Crysis 1 covered.

edit: Nomad and Psycho coming back would be awesome. I also want some new environments and more challening/less boring enemies. An actual antagonist would be nice too.

Heisenberg on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I believe they can achieve really large areas if they forego the physics in the environment. I think most of the destructible terrain and stuff was disabled in Crysis 2 so it'll probably be disabled in Crysis 3 as well, to accomodate for the consoles hardware

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Well, except they did port Crysis 1 to the consoles (sans the VTOL level).

Oh nevermind then

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Echo wrote: »
    Lalabox wrote: »
    The game looks pretty cool, I could definately go for an overgrown New York environment. And both 1 and 2 were hella solid shooters. But still, 'Cell pursuing world-domination'?? 'Cell creating bio-domes'? The story looks off the rails. Hopefully it is good off the rails, not terrible off the rails.

Richard Morgan wrote the story for Crysis 2. He had to work with what he was given, but I like most of what he did with it. Some really good lines there.

Oh yeah, 2 had some pretty good stuff, and it was reasonably engaging story-wise. I'm saying that 3 looks a little bit wierd. That's basically just from those two paraphrased sentenses though. The story could still be pretty great. But cell never seemed like a world-domination type organisation. Also, I wonder why the aliens didn't create the biodome. That's pretty much what they did in 1. And these are different aliens to the ice ones.

I just hope that if it goes off the rails, it goes off the rails in a somewhat entertaining manner.

Lalabox on
    edited April 2012
    It took them almost 4 years to optimize the original for consoles and even then the game doesn't perform as well. I imagine it's a lot harder to come out with something so optimized out of the gate at launch

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
  • Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Stolls wrote: »
    Honestly, I've found the series' plot, such as it is, was far more tolerable when it wasn't trying to be clever: just a spec ops dude with a neat suit trying to sort out a catastrofuck because that's his job. When it turns out the suit is part of some crazy alien technology and there's an old dude trying to exploit it and the guy who was last using it is still possessing it somehow and the child of a more entertaining character is a double agent and the important scientist is just a jumped-up conspiracy theorist and

Eventually I just had to tune it out. There are some neat ideas in there, and some legitimately good lines of dialogue, but it really felt like two or three sci-fi concepts too many. I can also say I was not pleased when shooting ten exploding rounds from a mounted gun didn't make a tree so much as budge. Not even a particularly big tree, just this little twig of a thing between the gun and the door you're supposed to shoot. Just stood out all the more to me.

Not to say Crysis 2 was a bad game - still better than a lot of shooters I've played - just that I prefer the first game in pretty much every aspect. The sequel was at its best when you were just trying to manage the situation without delving too deeply into the 'why' of it.

Edit: Also, I soured on the sequel more when it stated/implied that Nomad and Psycho
    were dead. Don't remember the exact context, but either Prophet or Hargreave mention this at some point. Psycho in particular is the closest thing the series has to a complex character, which I admit isn't saying much.

Character Spoilers from the Comics
    Nomad is dead. They killed him and that scientist lady from Crysis 1 in the Crysis 2 prequel comics. I hope they retcon that decision to kill him though. I liked Nomad as vague as his character was. It would be nice to see Delta Team reunite.

Link to prequel comic?

• Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    When did crysis 2 get a prequel comic? Was it any good?

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Neli wrote: »
    It took them almost 4 years to optimize the original for consoles and even then the game doesn't perform as well. I imagine it's a lot harder to come out with something so optimized out of the gate at launch
    uh, BF3 looked amazing day one on 360 and PS3. sure you had to a buttload of installing but, it looked great and has the destructibility from the PC version in tact.
    they could easily do something like this for crysis 3, especially since it's EA and they have access to the frostbite engine.

edited April 2012
    BF3 console version can't support the same map sizes or player counts or visuals as the PC version so it's hardly the same deal. It's 64 vs 24 player maps which is a big big difference in that game.

They have to sacrficie in Crysis 3 if they're going to make it both beautiful and sandbox

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
  • MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So there's a new trailer out that shows some gameplay.

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/first-crysis-3-gameplay-trailer-revealed

It seems all kinds of "meh" to me. Needs more lush open jungle and less night time rastafari-alien punching.

Ed. Hmm, how do I embed movies?

Movitz on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    Zzulu wrote:
    on a quest to rediscover his humanity and exact brutal revenge.

Nothing says humanity like brutal mass murder.

Video game writing! :rotate:

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    Zzulu wrote:
    on a quest to rediscover his humanity and exact brutal revenge.

Nothing says humanity like brutal mass murder.

Video game writing! :rotate:

Well... an FPS that scrimps on brutal mass murder wouldn't exactly sell well.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    "Comming 2013"

Darn! Hate it when games are announced so long before release. Best to just forget about it for now, that'll make the wait shorter and surprise bigger.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

Looks like it could barely pass for even Crysis 2.5, maybe just an expansion. All of the settings in that trailer were identical and rather boring.

• DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    well

Yea, he better be packing more than a 60lb draw for fighting mechanized aliens.

I hope you'll be able to bounce arrows off of surfaces. It'd be a fun little distraction.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    killing off nomad offscreen is pretty lame

they should make the hero for crysis 3 a random chick because fuck it why not

obF2Wuw.png
    Nomad wasn't much of a character though

vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    That's why he was great, he was just "me".

Just saying that the e3 footage was pretty poor. Game'll probably be pretty cool, but advancing slowing along the ground seems to be the opposite of what crysis is about.