As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Avengers: AvX CHAMPIONS. "wedabes" declares Captain America.

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    I knew the Dodsons couldn't last but it still makes me sad.

huntresssig.jpg
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    That's cool. I feel like I haven't seen Norton at Marvel, since Gravity ended. Dude's got an incredibly versatile range, and is really quick, to boot.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    So according to the Avengers Assemble solicit:
    The secret behind Avengers Assemble is revealed but what does it mean for the future of the Marvel Universe?
    • PLUS: The return of the characters you demanded!

banking on Star-Lord, maybe Nova. The whole thing is super cosmic already and Guardians seems likely.

CYpGAPn.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Yeah that sounds distinctly possible

especially as they are fan favourites

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Munch wrote: »
    That's cool. I feel like I haven't seen Norton at Marvel, since Gravity ended. Dude's got an incredibly versatile range, and is really quick, to boot.
    He and McKelvie worked together on X-Men Season One.

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    1334600863.jpg

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    Fuck the actual book just give us 20 pages of pop art covers a month Aja

Do it

huntresssig.jpg
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Full July solicits in a clean list

I'm confused about Iron Man 521:
    • Can Rescue, IM2.0, and War Machine team up and not kill one another while Tony Stark builds the Mandarin’s ultimate weapon?

I.....I thought Iron Man 2.0 was War Machine? Hence that book's name.

Arivia wrote: »
    Fuck the actual book just give us 20 pages of pop art covers a month Aja

Do it

I want posters of those covers, for definite

TexiKen wrote: »

• Can Rescue, IM2.0, and War Machine team up and not kill one another while Tony Stark builds the Mandarin’s ultimate weapon?

Considering this month has a whole bunch of Rhodey looking dying stuff in the IIM preview I'm going to bet someone else is wearing the 2.0 suit come July while Rhodey is War Machining it up.

Who knows, maybe Tony stuck an AI in there. He's done stupider things.

huntresssig.jpg

I think Iron Man 2.0 is going to be this guy (War Machine never referred to himself as that, was just an attempt to seel more books)
    New-Iron-Man-2012-B.jpg

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I like the suit but it took me way too long to figure out where the left hand was.

Now try and make your right hand make that gesture without grimacing in pain. Go on, I dare you.

huntresssig.jpg
    It is

pretty easy to do that?

CYpGAPn.png
    I think Arivia means Tony's right hand

that seems like it would be hard to do unless you broke your own little finger and pointed it straight down

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I made it twice, if camera ever works again, may even pic it, BUT it's more the angle I think that does it once I did make that gesture.

To turn the hand the angle it is , you'd need like a triple jointed wrist.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Good thing I was born with jello hands

CYpGAPn.png
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Good thing I was born with jello hands

mutant! kill 'im!

sorry I meant Iron Man's left

but if you do it with your left it actually works

so I'm just going to go pen "whatever happened to the girl of tomorrow" in shame and then go eat a gun :P

huntresssig.jpg
    make sure you marinade it first

otherwise they can be a bit tasteless

Hey so Winter Soldier was great this week

Dr Doom!

fighting a Doombot!

awesome!

from some convention (other than C2E2), that bendis went to over the weekend
    Moving from art to nerdery, hints were given about the cosmic side of the Marvel Universe with Bendis teasing that there’s more development to come with Nova after an audience member pointed out to him that Nova was last seen stuck in the Cancer Dimension. I have no idea what they were talking about, but from Bendis’ reaction it seemed to make sense to the more continuity conscious. Bendis also said that there’s a lot that will be different, or shaken up anyway, following AvX and that there’d be a lot to talk about were this seminar at the end of the run.
    Source

Yesssssssss!!!

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    god damn it! my fault I know, but I haven't gotten to thanatos imperative yet in my cosmic readings (war of kings is on it's way currently). Sigh. hopefully it's still awesome knowing that.

• spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    That Hawkeye cover...

HHHHNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG

Clint and Kate is going to be so good. Can't wait.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
    @crimsondude I'm finally free of exams, so you should get an answer to that question that has been sitting in my inbox for ages.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular

I think Iron Man 2.0 is going to be this guy (War Machine never referred to himself as that, was just an attempt to seel more books)
    New-Iron-Man-2012-B.jpg

Man. Stark's seen better days. I guess all those years of hard living have finally caught up with him. It looks like he's got just one tooth left in his head.

• Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    Great, now I can't stop staring at hillbilly Stark's face

and the longer I stare, the funnier it is.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Even though it's not there.

I see a mullet.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    hahahahaha

goddammit

• MatriasMatrias Registered User regular

I see a mullet.

douche bag pony tail.

the lone tooth is lol.

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle

I see a mullet.
    That's the magic of a mullet. It's always there, lurking. Just waiting to throw a can of beer at your head.

Awww, Hickman is leaving his Parliament of Dooms story for the next writer :(, http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=38204

I'm never a big fan of that, with any writer. The things like new relationships or characters, let them carry over, like Emma from Morrison's X-Men, but that seemed to be a good plot point to end the entire run on, and then maybe a a final goodbye issue.

We're at a point where you can't really get satisfaction or payoff from lingering plot points because writers hop around so much, so when you get a good long run like this, let the guy have another arc to wrap it up. I think a good comparison to Hickman's FF is Busiek's Avengers run, they seem to be roughly the same amount of issues when you include FF, and Busiek got to end things in a way that didn't leave anything up in the air (that I can recall).

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    But, I think there's also something to be said, for leaving the next writer some interesting toys to play with. Sometimes, a writer ends their run on such a definitive note, that there's not really any place for the new guy to go.

Look at Greg Pak's Hulk, for instance. Over the course of Pak's run, Hulk finds family, loses it, becomes a villain, becomes a hero, finds a surrogate family in the other Hulks, and ultimately makes peace with his duality, becoming the most ideal version of himself possible.

And then Jason Aaron came in, and ignored all that, so he could do Hulk v.s. Banner. And while I think that's dumb, I can kinda understand why. Where do you take a Hulk who's finally put to rest his demons, reunited with the one he loves most, and possesses the best of both Hulk and Banner?

Compare that to something like Brian Bendis' run of Daredevil, which ends with Matt in jail. Instantly, that sets up a ton of possibilities for Brubaker to play with.

Plus, just from a sales and marketing point of view, I think it makes sense to leave some big stuff, for the next guy. If you end your run with everything having basically resolved, that's a good way to lose a lot of your audience. How many books have you abandoned, when you felt like the writer ended their run on a satisfying note? I know I've dropped a ton of books for that reason. But, if you leave a couple stories for the next guy to tell, there's a better chance of the existing readers sticking with the book.

The problem with this approach, is when the oncoming writer A) is inferior to or B) has a wildly different approach, than the previous writer. Then you can wind up with something that's disappointing, and seems incongruous with what came before.

I think that leaving plot points for your successor to capitalise on is a good thing

certainly it helps create a sense of continuity between writers

edited April 2012
    it worked for iron fist when everyone was worried about how [redacted] and foreman would ruin the book.

e: Duane Swierczynski*

initiatefailure on
    edited April 2012

I see a mullet.
    That's the magic of a mullet. It's always there, lurking. Just waiting to throw a can of beer at your head.

Oh, fuck. Now I'm sleep-posting.
    it worked for iron fist when everyone was worried about how JMS and foreman would ruin the book.

Hey now. Let's not besmirch Duane Swierczynski's good name by confusing him with JMS.

Crimsondude on
    ahh woops. it's been too long. All I could remember was the S.

I don't have a problem when it's things like taking the new direction established, such as the FF still being around, or things like Val becoming sinister or Nicieza reforming Zemo after Busiek left T-Bolts. Seeds are different from saplings, which I think the Dooms thing is. It's not just in recent times, I remember in the 90's the X-Books had so many plot points abandoned it just felt odd to reread some issues during that time (Kelly and Seagle's issues really feel off).

Going back to Nicieza, I think he worked well as a successor because he followed Busiek's storytelling to begin with, and then started to shift his way where he planted macguffins everywhere and quadruple reveals. New writers set themselves up for success or failure much more on their own merit than lingering plot points. Sometimes readers just know when to stop with certain books. When Immonen replaced Bagley on USM sales really started to fall off because it felt like a fair endpoint for them, even though Immonen was a really good successor.

This discussion has been closed.