As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop [Weightlifting thread]

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Slider wrote: »
    Lesson one: Do not eat a giant, spicy burrito from Chipotle, then lie down and go to sleep.

This fucking thing is cooking inside me somewhere, forming into a giant, hot turd that is going to melt my anus.

Ahhhh...shit. I can feel it moving...

Also...chin ups hurt my shoulders, not my elbows.

Why'd you have to bring up memories of last week man?

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Slider post

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    Clearly not working out hard enough until I'm wringing hairy chest sweat out of my drenched t-shirt

"Be excellent to each other."
  • BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    Methuselah wrote: »
    Buddies wrote: »
    Found out there is a Bod Pod at a local University that I can schedule an appointment with for only $25.

Currently trying to drop some Fat in an effort to get into some single digit body fat levels.

Currently sitting at 188-190 lbs (5'9" or 5'10", I don't know my height exactly, think I will go measure that right now) and somewhere between 12% and 14% BF. My self measurement with Calipers gives me about 12.5%, and my Tanita Scale spits out around 12% right before dinner (I drink close to 4 liters of water a day, so I should be properly hydrated for that thing by that time). But for only $25 I can be as sure as I can be, which will let me know how accurate I am with my Calipers and Scale.

Then it's back to eating a surplus and really working towards that 5/4/3/2 goal [Dead/Squat/Bench/OHP]. Got quite a bit of work to do on that front I think, =X.

Just curious, why are you trying to drop into single digit BF%, and then bulk up? To reach 5/4/3/2 you'll almost certainly go back above ten. And what are your lift now?

Just a long time goal of mine for the past 6-8 years. I've gotten to but not below 12-13% a few times, and most of my life has been spent around 18 or so.

As far as bulking up, I'm not going to bulk up... much. If I do have my BF% correct at around 12%, then I'm sitting around 166 pounds of LBM, which doesn't leave much room for muscle gain without the use of steroids. If you subscribe to Lyle McDonald, Alan Aragon, Casey Butts, and Martin Berkhan's research on max skeletal muscle potential, which I do, that is. And according to their calculations I would be able to gain somewhere between 0 and 5 pounds of muscle and stay around 8-10% before I would need anabolic steroids(which I have no current plans on ever using).

So once I hit my Mirror/BF% goal, I'll start eating at a small calorie surplus and using different programs geared towards strength gains.

I haven't tested my max 1 reps in a while, nor am I currently working towards those strength goals. My numbers in the past for Dead/Squat/Bench/OHP though are 380/365/275/155(I think). So I would have my work cut out for me, but hitting 5/4/3/2 at a weight of ~180 pounds would give me 2.75/2.25/1.75/1.25 multipliers. Which I don't think are unreasonable for anyone that focuses towards a goal like that and has a good amount of training under their belt.

Now of course, I may go to that BodPod and the Grad Student will be all "LOL, You're 16%, not 12%!" But that won't change much, just means it will take 4-8 weeks longer than I had hoped. No big. Oh god I hope I am close to 12%, lol.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I wouldn't trust Lyle McDonald's research on anything.

Would you mind expanding on that? I think of you as a decently smart and educated person in things you have interests in and respect you as a lifter, so I'd be interested in hearing why you think he shouldn't be trusted.

• TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    I don't see how it sucks to be honest. He was an arrogant shitbag who was clearly juicing for a long time. I'm glad he finally got caught.

I just mean the state of weightlifting in the US sucks. I agree, since he was using he deserved to get caught, and he's a fool for juicing. So I am glad too. Just lamenting the general situation.

Personally, I think it sucks that the kid touted as the next big thing in US weightlifting turns out to be another drug cheat. I mean, the evidence was pretty substantial against him already (BRB, snatching 207 WR in training, 170 in a tested meet...) but there is always a naive part of me that wants to believe there are still natural freaks out there.

I don't believe in nothin' no more, man.

Except Donny Shankle.

Would you mind expanding on that? I think of you as a decently smart and educated person in things you have interests in and respect you as a lifter, so I'd be interested in hearing why you think he shouldn't be trusted.

I'm going to have to disappoint you terribly by having nothing to back that up with other than that I think he's a colossal douchebag with a very blinkered view. He seems to be obsessed with the idea that everyone who is bigger or stronger than him is on steroids.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I would be very curious about research that indicates your skeleton has a threshold for muscle you can build without steroids. I mean on the face of that it sounds silly but what do I know?

Peen wrote: »
    I would be very curious about research that indicates your skeleton has a threshold for muscle you can build without steroids. I mean on the face of that it sounds silly but what do I know?

They(the people I mentioned) base it on "years" of studying people they know/believe to be free of steroid use. Which leaves a lot of room for cherry picking and prejudice. Someone with a [double] myostatin deficiency would have considerably more muscle mass, and be leaner, than anyone that doesn't. But they would be called out for using steroids despite never using them. Those people, granted, are extremely rare and I've only read one case where a child has it. And I think it was just an explanation given by doctors/scientists, I'll have to look up the article again to see if it was actually confirmed that the kid had it.

Just looking at the progression of body builders from Sandow(1900s) to Phil Heath(today) you can easily see the difference, and starting around the time that synthetic testosterone was being developed. Are there any pieces of art, like Greek Statues and the like, that depict a man with proportions much greater than what Sandow achieved (ignoring the fact that he strived to look like those statues)? Surely there would have been "The worlds strongest man" type statues from around those times, right?

It does give some credence though, and gives you an idea of where you will either peak or start to see very little gains in terms of muscle mass to body composition. They are only interested in people that are in the extremely lean to very lean categories (4-10%), and so they believe that you could definitely have more muscle mass than their calculators predict, just not at 4% body fat(or 8-10% depending on the calculator).

Anyway, they set out to try and show that there are limits to what you can achieve naturally. Either because they want to discredit anyone that is bigger/stronger than they are for their own personal gain, or because there really are those limits. I do believe myself, that the demonization of steroids causing professional body builders, figure models/actors and sports athletes to hide their use and portray an image that they do not use them is damaging to our society. And that this kind of research, even if incorrect, helps to get people to realize that looking like Superman is not something that may be attainable for them.

It's kind of whatever to me. I don't care if people use steroids. I don't really care if they lie about using them, unless they are selling something on the idea that you can get what they have while lieing about what they had to do to get where they are. I don't use them because I don't think I need them to attain my goals. If it ever becomes apparent that I can not attain my goals without their use, then I will either start using or change my goals to something I can do.

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I've got to salute you for keeping the beard and wild hair going even when it's hot out. I can't do it, almost all of my hair comes off and I go back to a goatee. My wife wants me to shave my facial hair entirely, she's never seen me without it, and I want her to know that there is a very good reason for that. I'll probably do it just to make her happy (and then very, very sad) but watch my lifts all drop 20 lbs.

we'll see how june - september treats me

wasn't planning on shaving or cutting my hair until 2013...it's a part of me

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    That is interesting. As I read more articles about lifting it's interesting how there's a split, sometimes pretty starkly, between the fancy training guys who are into science and which movements do what and how, and the shut-up-and-lift-faggot crowd who just believe in lifting big and often and eating right and not sweating the small stuff. I know that's an oversimplification but I like seeing the back and forth between the camps.

• MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I don't see how it sucks to be honest. He was an arrogant shitbag who was clearly juicing for a long time. I'm glad he finally got caught.

I just mean the state of weightlifting in the US sucks. I agree, since he was using he deserved to get caught, and he's a fool for juicing. So I am glad too. Just lamenting the general situation.

Personally, I think it sucks that the kid touted as the next big thing in US weightlifting turns out to be another drug cheat. I mean, the evidence was pretty substantial against him already (BRB, snatching 207 WR in training, 170 in a tested meet...) but there is always a naive part of me that wants to believe there are still natural freaks out there.

Except Donny Shankle.

When is the meet where Shankle will try and qualify for London? He's a monster. I love watching the Cali Strength guys training livestream. Provides excellent motivation.
    Found out there is a Bod Pod at a local University that I can schedule an appointment with for only $25.

Currently trying to drop some Fat in an effort to get into some single digit body fat levels.

Currently sitting at 188-190 lbs (5'9" or 5'10", I don't know my height exactly, think I will go measure that right now) and somewhere between 12% and 14% BF. My self measurement with Calipers gives me about 12.5%, and my Tanita Scale spits out around 12% right before dinner (I drink close to 4 liters of water a day, so I should be properly hydrated for that thing by that time). But for only $25 I can be as sure as I can be, which will let me know how accurate I am with my Calipers and Scale.

Then it's back to eating a surplus and really working towards that 5/4/3/2 goal [Dead/Squat/Bench/OHP]. Got quite a bit of work to do on that front I think, =X.

Just curious, why are you trying to drop into single digit BF%, and then bulk up? To reach 5/4/3/2 you'll almost certainly go back above ten. And what are your lift now?

Just a long time goal of mine for the past 6-8 years. I've gotten to but not below 12-13% a few times, and most of my life has been spent around 18 or so.

As far as bulking up, I'm not going to bulk up... much. If I do have my BF% correct at around 12%, then I'm sitting around 166 pounds of LBM, which doesn't leave much room for muscle gain without the use of steroids. If you subscribe to Lyle McDonald, Alan Aragon, Casey Butts, and Martin Berkhan's research on max skeletal muscle potential, which I do, that is. And according to their calculations I would be able to gain somewhere between 0 and 5 pounds of muscle and stay around 8-10% before I would need anabolic steroids(which I have no current plans on ever using).

So once I hit my Mirror/BF% goal, I'll start eating at a small calorie surplus and using different programs geared towards strength gains.

I haven't tested my max 1 reps in a while, nor am I currently working towards those strength goals. My numbers in the past for Dead/Squat/Bench/OHP though are 380/365/275/155(I think). So I would have my work cut out for me, but hitting 5/4/3/2 at a weight of ~180 pounds would give me 2.75/2.25/1.75/1.25 multipliers. Which I don't think are unreasonable for anyone that focuses towards a goal like that and has a good amount of training under their belt.

Now of course, I may go to that BodPod and the Grad Student will be all "LOL, You're 16%, not 12%!" But that won't change much, just means it will take 4-8 weeks longer than I had hoped. No big. Oh god I hope I am close to 12%, lol.

Sounds like a serious goal! It's hard for me to imagine someone working up to 5/4/3/2 in single digit BF, but with those numbers I don't doubt that you can do it. Good luck!

Methuselah on
  • MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    woop

Methuselah on
    edited April 2012
    I've got to salute you for keeping the beard and wild hair going even when it's hot out. I can't do it, almost all of my hair comes off and I go back to a goatee. My wife wants me to shave my facial hair entirely, she's never seen me without it, and I want her to know that there is a very good reason for that. I'll probably do it just to make her happy (and then very, very sad) but watch my lifts all drop 20 lbs.

we'll see how june - september treats me

wasn't planning on shaving or cutting my hair until 2013...it's a part of me

I hear ya man, had my hair buzzed off today. Even if I've had it done a few times, I still clench my fists instinctively.

Watching that Donny Shankle video made me curious about something, what kind of music do you guys have going while you lift? I like to listen to AC/DC, Queen, Black Sabbath among others though I don't get to choose exactly what since it's Pandora. Though I'm gonna put together a playlist featuring a lot of Rocky theme music along with my other favorites.

Arthil on
  • big lbig l Registered User regular

I'm going to have to disappoint you terribly by having nothing to back that up with other than that I think he's a colossal douchebag with a very blinkered view. He seems to be obsessed with the idea that everyone who is bigger or stronger than him is on steroids.

I find most discussions of Lyle McDonald's credibility are wrapped up handily by posting lylemcdonalddeadlift.jpg:

fqlRu.jpg

That's someone who's supposed to have knowledge about putting on muscle mass?

Oh right, that guy. I love that picture so much.

• YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    How much weight is that

Because it looks like about 185, which would be adorable

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    picture taken on the surface of Jupiter

now what?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    That was a great bench day and a great close grip bench day. It makes me very happy that my bench is continuing to progress, it lagged for so long.

Since we were talking assistance exercises before, how to folks feel about floor presses? I hadn't heard much about them until recently and now a bunch of dudes are like FLOOR PRESSES ARE THE BEST RAW ASSISTANCE EXERCISE EVERRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

• Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular

Except Donny Shankle.

Yeah I haven't really followed his lifting much at all, other than seeing a few weight room videos, so I can't make any comments about his character or use of PEDs. I don't even care TBH, it's not like I follow US (or any) weightlifting anyway. But my understanding is that the US has very strict testing whereas the rest of the world (at least Eastern Europe and China) are much more lax in their testing, which seems to put US athletes and coaches in a tough spot when it comes to trying to qualify on the world stage etc.

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    That was a great bench day and a great close grip bench day. It makes me very happy that my bench is continuing to progress, it lagged for so long.

Since we were talking assistance exercises before, how to folks feel about floor presses? I hadn't heard much about them until recently and now a bunch of dudes are like FLOOR PRESSES ARE THE BEST RAW ASSISTANCE EXERCISE EVERRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

Only if you're planning on doing geared lifts. Kinda like board presses, they target the sticking points you have in a shirt. Useless if you're doing raw lifts.

edited April 2012
    How much weight is that

Looks like 2x25kg and at least 1x10kg plates per side. So at least 145kg (320lbs), including collars?

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular

Only if you're planning on doing geared lifts. Kinda like board presses, they target the sticking points you have in a shirt. Useless if you're doing raw lifts.

Yeah? Huh, weird. Guess this yet again proves that people on the internet are assholes and shoot their mouths off without knowing what they're talking about.

Unless that also describes you Kak?! I can't trust anyone!

I'm pretty sure that describes all of us, really.

Yeah? Huh, weird. Guess this yet again proves that people on the internet are assholes and shoot their mouths off without knowing what they're talking about.

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Bah. I was away from the gym for 2 weeks, was getting bad lower back pain once i got back in today. Squats and Deadlift were a total wash

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1

I am interested in a discussion about raw benching and weak points after I recently read PC's views on it here. I'm unsure if I agree with him. Last cycle I did so much paused benching, it wasn't funny. Just a brutal amount of pauses (2 seconds) and long pauses (4 seconds) and my speed off the chest improved like crazy. But that sticking point was just as stubborn as ever.

I don't know. I need some time to think about this.

If your speed off the chest improved but you still couldn't get through the sticking point, could it have been an issue with your triceps? Specifically, the point at which you transfer from chest to triceps? No idea myself I'm afraid, but I'd love to hear others' thoughts on the matter too.

edit: Also I love that death is winning shirt, was thinking of getting one, but I'm nowhere near jacked enough to wear it.

I mean, the weight increased but it felt like that sticking point got harder at the same time. I felt as if, if I could transition better at that point, that I could have claimed another 5-10kg out of that cycle. I just don't buy that the only improvement in a raw bench can come from increasing strength off the chest

Sticking point I'm assuming is that little area where you're attempting to extend your arms?

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Sticking points are very personal. Your weak points are going to change over time depending on what your progressions are doing and how much you're gaining on the various lifts. Just learn to know how to identify the weak points in your lifts and hit them with your assistance exercises.

You're using much smaller muscle groups in the press than you are in squats or deadlifts.

edited April 2012
    Well one thing I'm noticing is that my presses tend to feel a lot more intense than my squats or deadlifts, though that might be because of a lifetime of carrying my own weight around on my legs/hips.

^^That's a good point Tube, either way I like the way it feels. Christ I'm morphing into a lifting nerd along with being a video game nut.

Edit: Also found out an awesome idea for my protein shakes. We don't drink skim milk, but know what we do have? Dry milk powder, mmmm tastes like delicious.

Arthil on
    I know I've realized recently that my bench is connected to what all else is going on with my upper body in general. As I've focused more on my shoulders and increased my volume of back stuff and started doing some curls regularly (blurgh) my bench has gone up like never before.

That's probably a "no shit sherlock" moment for a lot of you but it's interesting to me.

Arthil wrote: »
    Well one thing I'm noticing is that my presses tend to feel a lot more intense than my squats or deadlifts, though that might be because of a lifetime of carrying my own weight around on my legs/hips.

^^That's a good point Tube, either way I like the way it feels. Christ I'm morphing into a lifting nerd along with being a video game nut.

Edit: Also found out an awesome idea for my protein shakes. We don't drink skim milk, but know what we do have? Dry milk powder, mmmm tastes like delicious.

I use Almond Milk in my Protein shakes. And Almond Butter, lol.

1 Cup Almond Milk
    2 Scoops Whey (ON Double Chocolate)
    1-2 Tablespoons of Almond Butter If my calories/fat need to be met
    1-2 Cups of oats if I need the carbs
    1-2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil if I want/need even more calories
    7 or so Ice Cubes (from my automatic Ice Cub maker guy. It makes the solid half moon type ice cubes)

I enjoy it. I've shaked up a cup of almond milk with just 2 scoops of whey before. I wasn't used to how thick it was, as when I just throw my whey in a shaker I usually just use water.

I'm highly interested in the idea of cooking with protein powder as well. I've seen some mighty tasty looking recipes.

http://i.imgur.com/xqhVR.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/NcEFr.jpg

Mm... damn that second one looks good.

• YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    How much weight is that

Looks like 2x25kg and at least 1x10kg plates per side. So at least 145kg (320lbs), including collars?

Okay I'm not used to fancy bumper plates but I figured it was more than I thought

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • big lbig l Registered User regular

I am interested in a discussion about raw benching and weak points after I recently read PC's views on it here. I'm unsure if I agree with him. Last cycle I did so much paused benching, it wasn't funny. Just a brutal amount of pauses (2 seconds) and long pauses (4 seconds) and my speed off the chest improved like crazy. But that sticking point was just as stubborn as ever.

I don't know. I need some time to think about this.

I heard a suggestion recently to do pauses off 1 or 2 boards instead of the chest, for that kind of sticking point. I do a lot of pauses off the chest too, and I can almost always get the bar off my chest, but that sticking point 3-4 inches up is still there, and the suggestion was that pausing off a low board, instead of the chest, could better target that point in the movement. I don't know if it'll work but I think I'm going to try it and see. Food for thought.

• JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    Ugh, snatch off blocks sucks after not doing them since January. 6x2 and the last double was at 175, but I feel awkward as fuck.

• HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    I bought two half-gallon cartons of almond milk to try out in my shakes, now that I'm trying to slim back down (though that's been taking care of itself thanks to final projects and other stuff eating up my gym time). Almond milk is some really weird stuff. Just as thick as regular milk, but totally tasteless (though I did get the unsweetened one). My shakes taste the same, though, because they just take on the taste of the whey. I just don't have to put up with an added 48g of galactose (ie. milk sugar) carbs from my two shakes every day on top of what I'm eating.

This discussion has been closed.