As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Avengers have assembled! (pretty much just the Marvel movie thread now with some comics)

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Is it just me or are they putting out a ton of preview scenes?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Is it just me or are they putting out a ton of preview scenes?

I've sworn off watching anything new, I've already spoiled myself on a ton of awesome crap.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Just, 3 so far, and a bunch of trailers.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    3 trailers, I think we're up to four clips now, and a shiton of extended spots.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Watched what I assume is the latest trailer yesterday before Hunger Games. That's the first time I've actually had my heart elevate in excitement over a movie.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I think the first time that happened to me was when I saw the trailer for Fellowship of the Ring.

• Options
    It's not a movie, but playing WoW for the first time in February of 2004 (During the Friends and Family Alpha) did that.

• Options
    4 Clips?

Black Widow's... Stark & Loki... Fury & Loki... what's the other one?

Then there's the various character-centric spots, the "Headcount" and theatrical trailers...

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    There was a combat scene one that I thought was a clip, but might have been a spot. I specifically didn't watch it as the first second spoiled a fucking awesome shot of Thor and Cap during the battle.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Here's a really fucking awesome Ironman v. Thor clip

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

Unf unf unf. So hard...

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Nocren wrote: »
    4 Clips?

Black Widow's... Stark & Loki... Fury & Loki... what's the other one?

Then there's the various character-centric spots, the "Headcount" and theatrical trailers...

There's a clip where Nick Fury and Maria Hill are talking. It was shown on Cobie's interview with Letterman IIRC.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »

Unf unf unf. So hard...

My wife doesn't care for Iron Man that much, but she loves her some Thor. She'll be fun to take to the movie.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Daaaaaaaaaamn

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular

So glad I saw that before the inevitable(?) removal.

Why is everyone fighting Thor, again?

Oh, right.

Loki.

• Options

Yesssssssss.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
  • Options
    That was incredible. I must see this movie now.

I thought it was merely lame, I didn't realize was batshit crazy bad. :D

• Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    I think the first time that happened to me was when I saw the trailer for Fellowship of the Ring.

Was it this one?

'Cause my younger 14 year old self nearly lost it at the time.

• Options
    Wow, that gave me chills and I've seen those movies like a dozen times.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    That was incredible. I must see this movie now.

I thought it was merely lame, I didn't realize was batshit crazy bad. :D

It's a so bad it's good kinda movie. Very cheesy. Viper's fun to watch. Hess chewing up the scenery is a sight to behold. :mrgreen:

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

The ending is the best part.
    Climactic battle with the villain. She runs into a chamber and a big metal door slams shut. Hasselhoff pounds on the door three times and then says, to no one in particular, "She's already halfway to China by now."

David Hasselhoff basically is the entire reason they created Ultimate Nick Fury.

• Options
    Oh god, I saw that on Fox when it first aired.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Louie wrote: »
    So here are my thoughts, i will put them in spoilers so I don't annoy anyone. I won't spoil major plot lines within but will talk in general about the flow of the movie and stuff i liked. I don't recommend reading if you want to be totally surprised by all of it.
    I was so excited for this but I don't think I was quite ready for how good it was going to be. In previous marvel films I have really enjoyed the Universe building and the dialogue has been great but when the action has really ramped up then the movies had a tendency to fall flat.

The action in this just felt great whether it was on a small or large scale with the team working well together in combos that just screamed comic book action panels. Hulk in particular is done so well and really steals the show in my opinion. A very Ultimates Hulk inspired performance.

The dialogue and one liners throughout were very good, the Marvel movies to date have had comic moments and combining that with Whedon's snappy directing meant that the laughs were thick and fast but never detracting from the "seriousness" of any scene. My only minor complaint on this was that at times I felt the movie was just a tad too Iron Man centric and despite not enjoying Captain America (the movie, I really enjoyed the performance of Evans, in this especially) as much as I would have liked, I don't feel he gets quite enough screen time. None of the other characters are by any means ancillary and Whedon does a good job of fleshing out the likes of Black Widow and Hawkeye while not compromising on pace and at the same time building more layers into the other Avengers.

Other reviews have said how the first and second acts don't quite match up but while I agree that the third act is phenomenal, I still thought the preceeding acts were excellent.

In summary I would say that if you read comics and you know that really satisfying feeling you get when you have sat and read a whole tpb or hardcover in one sitting and you have a big shit eating grin on your face the whole way through - this film does exactly that.

Oh, right.

Loki.

Maybe. More likely he gets dragged unexpectedly back to earth and mistakes are made.

Hey you know what the best part of that clip was?

It was an action scene and yet I could see clearly what the fuck was going on.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    Maybe. More likely he gets dragged unexpectedly back to earth and mistakes are made.

but...but...but... THATS UNPOSSIBLE! If I can clearly see whats happening in the fight scene ill easily be able to pick out of the fuckups they made cutting budgetary corners and it will totally ruin my movie experience. How am I supposed to imagine an awesome fight scene while two men hold shoulders and do the hokey pokey if I can clearly see there is more manlove than visceral violence.

Seriously though, I eagerly look forward to the Hulk smashing everything.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    The more I think about it, the more I really like the idea that Marvel is reserving the Hulk for other movies.

There was an interview with Feige that i skimmed because i fear spoilers, but where he went through all the Marvel properties and how they plan on proceeding after avengers. Didn't read his thoughts on Thor because I figure what happens with Loki and Thor is a major Avengers spoiler.

He said Iron Man is going to get himself in a situation where he can't call the Avengers - like in Iron Man 1 in the cave, when he had to first create the suit. He said making Tony have his "back against the wall" is the plan for IM3.

He said Cap is going to go into more of a 'political thriller' route - he only knows SHIELD right now. They're all he trusts. So the Cap movie will more than likely include Coulson, Fury - and hopefully Hawkeye. I REALLY hope they bring Falcon in.

But when asked about Hulk 3 (or 2?), Feige said Hulk hasnt worked in solo movies twice now, and they like him in Avengers, and like that people are real happy with him there. So lets keep him in the universe and keep him around, but use him in those roles where he's around but not the focus.

So with that said - I really want to see Guardians of the Galaxy get made, and have that spin into a World War Hulk movie. Hulk smashing everything in space would be so fun.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    So here are my thoughts, i will put them in spoilers so I don't annoy anyone. I won't spoil major plot lines within but will talk in general about the flow of the movie and stuff i liked. I don't recommend reading if you want to be totally surprised by all of it.
    I was so excited for this but I don't think I was quite ready for how good it was going to be. In previous marvel films I have really enjoyed the Universe building and the dialogue has been great but when the action has really ramped up then the movies had a tendency to fall flat.

The action in this just felt great whether it was on a small or large scale with the team working well together in combos that just screamed comic book action panels. Hulk in particular is done so well and really steals the show in my opinion. A very Ultimates Hulk inspired performance.

The dialogue and one liners throughout were very good, the Marvel movies to date have had comic moments and combining that with Whedon's snappy directing meant that the laughs were thick and fast but never detracting from the "seriousness" of any scene. My only minor complaint on this was that at times I felt the movie was just a tad too Iron Man centric and despite not enjoying Captain America (the movie, I really enjoyed the performance of Evans, in this especially) as much as I would have liked, I don't feel he gets quite enough screen time. None of the other characters are by any means ancillary and Whedon does a good job of fleshing out the likes of Black Widow and Hawkeye while not compromising on pace and at the same time building more layers into the other Avengers.

Other reviews have said how the first and second acts don't quite match up but while I agree that the third act is phenomenal, I still thought the preceeding acts were excellent.

In summary I would say that if you read comics and you know that really satisfying feeling you get when you have sat and read a whole tpb or hardcover in one sitting and you have a big shit eating grin on your face the whole way through - this film does exactly that.

Oh, right.

Loki.

Dunno. I mean, Coulson knows Thor.

Remember that whole, "Coulson, we are clearly both on the side of good and I will always be on your side yadda yadda" that Thor said at the end of his movie. I mean, it was really informal, even for Thor, but, it should've left a good impression.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    i'm thinking they're sparring or working out anger issues.

Thor's one tough sunuvabitch!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    I do hope everyone goes to see this in 2D.

I did and the action was cut quick at times but easy to keep up with. Things like Thor vs Iron Man are in a dark forest so I imagine in 3D it may be hard to see. I know when I saw Thor in 3D, the whole ice planet action scenes were so hard to keep up with and so so dark.

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    I'm going to the midnight showing: if they offer it in 2D, great I'll go to that. Otherwise, I guess I'm seeing it in 3D.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    I do hope everyone goes to see this in 2D.

I did and the action was cut quick at times but easy to keep up with. Things like Thor vs Iron Man are in a dark forest so I imagine in 3D it may be hard to see. I know when I saw Thor in 3D, the whole ice planet action scenes were so hard to keep up with and so so dark.

I bought midnight 3D tickets. I'm sure it'll be a little darker, but I don't mind so much. Either way, I'm sure I'll eventually see it in both versions.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I'll be seeing a midnight showing in IMAX-3D.

While I do have tinting and color saturation issues watching stuff in RealD-3D. I find the light, contrast, and saturation levels in IMAX-3D far better and it doesn't hamper the experience.

Of course that fight in the forest scene looks pretty damn dark, here's hoping I can follow more than just the lights in IM's suit.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I know when I saw Thor in 3D, the whole ice planet action scenes were so hard to keep up with and so so dark.

I saw Thor in 2D and had the same problem.

I just hope I am able to see Avengers in 2D without having to go to a crappy theater.

• Options
    I want to do the midnight showing so bad but I have class at eight in the morning :(

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I have a final on May 4th, so no midnight showing for me, and I'm going to be itchy during all 3 hours of the final.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'm going to be out of town the week after the release!

Stupid vacation to Cancun.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I have a lot of vacation time, I may just take the 4th off.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I have a lot of vacation time, I may just take the 4th off.

I've actually been thinking about this too. I've got like three weeks vacation this year, it wouldn't kill me to take a day off, see the like noon showing to avoid the crowds, and spend the rest of the day geeking out and playing mini golf or something.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Noon showing will be just as packed as any other time on Friday. I'm just going to try and get a time for the nice theater with individual leather seats.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    jAaxj.jpg

This discussion has been closed.