As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dwarf Fortress] With amazing HD graphics!

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I looked at the tileset changer thread and god damnit I could not read it, it hurt my eyes. Are there quick-install tilesets anywhere for the latest DF?
    The quickest install is to just grab a pre-installed set, like Mayday's DFG. The latest version is here.

(If he won't pimp it out, I will)

This is also very true, I've been using Mayday's tileset for like 2 years now (at least it feels like it) and I love it.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    I hear rumors that Mayday is working on a new even more awesome tileset.

I also hear that Mayday is a pretty rad dude.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    I used Mayday's for a long time as well, it is an excellent set.

Note to self: Do not get lazy when designating areas to channel. Just because there is a layer of dirt under the layer you're channeling does not mean it still cannot collapse so badly that the entire thing comes tumbling down right on top of the party going dwarves in the statue garden several z-levels below. Oops.

• ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    I had a Swordsdwarf reach Champion status by single handedly chopping up three consecutive Goblin ambushes. Then, after victoriously coming home to his beloved barracks, the roof collapses right on top of his ass because I wanted to install glass windows to give the poor buggers some sun.

The sun brought them the death of the foremost among them, I suspect that won't really help with their heliophobia.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    BYToady wrote: »
    I might have to start walking around town in socks+sandals while humming Peter Gabriel songs just to counter this scandalous rumour. Maybe I'll even grow a neckbeard to top it off.

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Is it possible to build a beehive in a space open to the sky, then roof over it so they are indoors? Presumably with glass but I don't think it actually matters. I know you used to be able to do that with outdoor crops.

Not that the zombies are gonna let me try anytime soon, but it would have been nice to have now that I am sealed inside.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    Zephiran wrote: »
    I had a Swordsdwarf reach Champion status by single handedly chopping up three consecutive Goblin ambushes. Then, after victoriously coming home to his beloved barracks, the roof collapses right on top of his ass because I wanted to install glass windows to give the poor buggers some sun.

The sun brought them the death of the foremost among them, I suspect that won't really help with their heliophobia.

Yeah I was actually installing a skylight above my statue garden, which is also the room everyone passes through, for the same reasons. To give my dwarves some sun. Sunlight, it's a real killer.

Thankfully, so far on first count, it seems the only casualty I actually regret is the miner that dug the fateful hole in the first place. Everyone else seem to have just been peasants.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »
    I might have to start walking around town in socks+sandals while humming Peter Gabriel songs just to counter this scandalous rumour. Maybe I'll even grow a neckbeard to top it off.

Still not enough to counteract the amount of rad. After 2 years of playing DF I still have yet to play the game without your tileset.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »

Still not enough to counteract the amount of rad. After 2 years of playing DF I still have yet to play the game without your tileset.

Our Mayday is THE Mayday?

• Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Our Mayday is THE Mayday?

Ofcourse you silly goose!

• The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    I am going to tell all the girls that I know you and then they will like me

that is how this works right

I am not however THE Toady. Just a Toady.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    Any tips for finding metal? My fortress is getting real big and I need something to stay afloat, that something being more miners. Soon I'll need a military as well, then I'll likely seal myself off from migrants.

I am borrowing and sending out tendrils 50 or so paces in various directions, any other ways?

edited April 2012
    Use the wiki to at least find out ahead of time what kind of minerals you're likely to find, to find out if exploratory mining is worth it to you. In the kind of rock you're digging through on any particular level.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
    The wiki also has a page on exploratory mining patterns to help maximize the odds of finding a vein while minimizing dig time. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Exploratory_mining

Second winter and I have 76 dwarves, trying to make by first army and oh lordy I am in way over my head

Just fought my first were creature. Somehow it was a Mermaid Woman Werebull. That transformation must be harrowing to say the least.

@Mayday I am getting some weird graphical glitches in my current fort. Specifically parts of the screen not showing up correctly. It is a 34.05 save moved to .06 then to .07 so I think that might have something to do with it. I can get a screenshot if you want. I am using your preset version of DF straight from your site.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Just fought my first were creature. Somehow it was a Mermaid Woman Werebull. That transformation must be harrowing to say the least.

@Mayday I am getting some weird graphical glitches in my current fort. Specifically parts of the screen not showing up correctly. It is a 34.05 save moved to .06 then to .07 so I think that might have something to do with it. I can get a screenshot if you want. I am using your preset version of DF straight from your site.

So if a were-creature retains some of the original form of the infected, does that mean the werebull is half woman, half fish, and half bull?

Because I could see that as being really bad.

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    furlion: sadly it's a general DF bug related to Truetype support. I was a bit trigger happy and switched to truetype and only then found out about this bug.
    You can disable truetype with f12 but then some (much) text will be garbled, of course.

For now I stick to truetype and switch back and forth when I can't read something and pray that this bug is fixed soon.

furlion: sadly it's a general DF bug related to Truetype support. I was a bit trigger happy and switched to truetype and only then found out about this bug.
    You can disable truetype with f12 but then some (much) text will be garbled, of course.

For now I stick to truetype and switch back and forth when I can't read something and pray that this bug is fixed soon.

Ah okay. It's not a deal breaker or anything just a little bizarre and I wanted to make sure you knew about it.

edited April 2012
    Well, mostly through my own stupidity and a series of unhappy events following each other closely, I'm now having so much fun.

My own recipe for a full-blown tantrum spiral. First, collapse a section of roof above your statue garden. Second, just as you're starting to recover from the chaos and to clean up the mess, have a human caravan show up. Third, as the human caravan is setting up, have some dwarf throw a tantrum and destroy one of the bridges leading back outside. Fourth, never realize this happened because you've been too busy handling injured and dead dwarves. Fifth, just as you're starting to wonder why the human caravan isn't leaving, have the vampire major be released and almost immediately kill several dwarves. Have the human caravan's yak bull start a rampage through the statue garden. Realize the bridge is broken, fix the bridge, lock the mayor back up. Sit back thinking you've made it, plus you've gotten all these neat goodies from the caravan, decide to continue constructing the sky-light above the statue garden. Completely miss that one tile above it, not connected to others, is already channeled out. Carefully tell miner to channel roof out in rows, thinking you're so smart this time, while still missing that one tile. Have another cave-in as a result.

Voila, one full-blown temper spiral. Dwarves are raging and killing each other. There's blood everywhere and a pile of dwarf corpses in the refuse pile and I only have myself to blame.

Fantasyrogue on
  • FiskavFiskav Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
    its really weird because for once I have a successful fort that is doing great, I have like 20 dwarves in my military and they are all mostly wearing and using steel armor/weapons

No vampires as far as I can tell which is kind of weird, and no actual goblin sieges, just a few ambushes every once in awhile, in which any of my 3 man squads could take out by themselves. I think only like 3 dwarves died, one was a baby that a kobold got detected and sliced off its leg

If I remember correctly the frequency and intensity of goblin invasions as well as forgotten beasts has to do with fortress wealth. Are you impoverished (weird looking word)? Try cranking out some really expensive stuff like feasts and rare ore crafts.

I have over 2000 lavish meals and a 6x6 storage area filled to the brim with stone crafts made by a legendary stone crafter.

My new fort (after the one in my previous post completely fell to bits when a goblin siege, a minotaur and half a dozen cave dragons showed up. Turns out having a not-finished skylight when there's cave dragons lurking at the top is a bad thing. Especially when you release the vampire to lure them away and they simply chew through the vampire then break down the doors...) didn't have a vampire show up until years into it. You'll find a vampire eventually, as soon as one of your legendary dwarves ends up in their beds drained of all blood :P

I would say my current fort is doing well but... well the current 70-odd dwarves that live there aren't the original dwarves I had. In fact, I had about 200 dwarves before two sieges and an epic tantrum spiral (man those things suck and are difficult to handle) dwindled it down to 3 dwarves and a lot of corpses. I feel sorry for the remaining 2 (the third was the locked up vampire, I wasn't about to release him and have him snack on the two remaining dwarves) who had to clean up the mess until migrants dared show up again. On the upside, between the human caravan that got caught in one of the sieges and the goblins and trolls that ran into my traps, I have a lot of free stuff now.

I have over 2000 lavish meals and a 6x6 storage area filled to the brim with stone crafts made by a legendary stone crafter.

Well checking the wiki I see no reason why you would not be getting sieges. If you are getting some ambushes then goblins have access to you. Population and fort wealth are the only other two characteristics that should affect siege rates. Try checking your d_init files and see if sieges are turned off. Other then that I got nothing.

So who else is so freaking excited about the next update? Moving mine carts and an updated physics interaction? Hell yeah. Can't wait to smash goblins with heavily loaded mine carts.

• PhantPhant Registered User regular
    So my hunter was just found dead, drained of his blood... I've just come back to DF after a long hiatus, whats the least painful way to figure out who the bloodsucker is?

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Phant wrote: »
    So my hunter was just found dead, drained of his blood... I've just come back to DF after a long hiatus, whats the least painful way to figure out who the bloodsucker is?

Use Dwarf Therapist, then check the names of your dwarves in the game against the names in Dwarf Therapist. When you come across a dwarf with a different name in each place, you've found your vampire.

You can also check their relationships for somebody with a ton of relationships and a large family with none of the family members at the fortress.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Also, look at their descriptions. Vampires don't eat or drink or sleep, so there are a few key sentences you can look for in any dwarf's description that are almost always dead-giveaways of vampirism.

That said, non-vampires can acquire those sentences as well, and a newly-converted vampire probably wouldn't display them at all...so there are exceptions.

You can also, if you have a suspect vampire, give them a nickname. This'll make them easier to spot in Dwarf Therapist (they'll keep the nickname there but have a completely different normal name if they are a vampire) and (as I read on the official forum) you can look through the dwarf's relationships in game and check their deities (view the deity in the list), on one vampire I had in the deities list it listed the vampire dwarf (who was easy to find, because of the nickname) as having been cursed by said deity. Which confirmed what I suspected.

Or you just wait for your idiot dwarves to elect the vampire as mayor. They seem to do that in every one of my fortresses after a while.

Because Vampires tend to have super high social skills from constantly interacting with other dwarves. IE: Every meal.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    I've been playing some with the new version, and I'm not sure what to think yet. Screw the cats, I have babies and children EVERYWHERE! I just had a vampire show up and I'm good with that, since all it's done is kill some kids. I need to trap it in a room with the rest of them!

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
    yeah it seems meeting rooms are now orgy rooms, where babies are born constantly.

the worst part of it is when babies die en masse it causes tantrum spirals. I still enjoyed the last baby death I had in my fort, sneaking kobold was found out, and on his escape he slashed at the baby and cut off its leg

• BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    Since my vampire arrived with the last batch of migrants, he was pretty easy to find. I wasn't to worried about him until I noticed one of my Original 7 had gone missing.

He promptly became my only engraver and tasked with carving the fortification that released the magma flow for my Metal Industry. I'm sure he didn't mind the door being locked behind him!

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I want to get back into this again, but the UI (I use Mayday's) is very complex and a lot of the time, I can't figure out how to make the dorfs do things. I wish I had someone to "mentor" me, show me how to set up, chat over steam chat or that Skype thing that let's you see other people's monitors. Walkthroughs and videos only help so much.

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    I had to do that the first time I played, couldn't figure much out, even with the Wiki, had a friend basically walk me through the controls and get digging and building things, it's a breeze now. Keep the Tab window open if you have trouble remembering the hotkeys, I never play with it open anymore.

d - all your designations, digging, cutting trees, gathering plants, etc. basic "jobs"
    b - everything you need to build
    k - look at a spot
    v - inspect your dwarfs
    u - unit screen
    z - stocks

That's the basics, once you get those down you are pretty much set.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    Quick question after being away from Dorfs for a few months...
    I started a fort in a cold climate, where there doesnt seem to be any liquid water, or any soil for that matter. Cant drink or brew the way i normally would. What are my options?
    Its probably die right?

Witchsight.png
    Witchsight wrote: »
    Quick question after being away from Dorfs for a few months...
    I started a fort in a cold climate, where there doesnt seem to be any liquid water, or any soil for that matter. Cant drink or brew the way i normally would. What are my options?
    Its probably die right?

get a guy hunting if you can, otherwise burrow down to the first cavern and pray there is water there, because in order to plant crops you are gunna need water, one other trick I used once on a glacier is to get a stone room, and place Ice stones as floor, then remove them. It wets the ground and lets you plant on it

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Clay can be farmed is as well unless by no dirt you meant clay as well. Only way to get flowing water will be to get magma up below a river if there is one, or hopefully find an underground lake in a cavern.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
This discussion has been closed.